Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight ❯ Midnight ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Midnight
 
T
 
HoroRen
 
Warning: Shonen ai/Yaoi
 
Summary: It's just another night he can't sleep. Maybe sorting it out will let him sleep? Or will it take confession?
 
Midnight
 
It's midnight, again. By now he's used to this, the clock that glows to tell him the same time over and over again, the silence that echoes in the onsen. It's happened so often in the past months that he no longer feels frustrated with it, no longer shows any sign of weariness in the morning. He just thinks. It's been four months since this became a normal occurrence. Before it had been a thing that happened so little, he couldn't be bothered by the thought of it. But it was four months ago that he came to a realization. It had taken a couple years and his first few midnight ponderings to find it, but now it was a simple fact. Usui Horokeu was in love.
 
And not with just anyone, oh no. Part of his first sleepless nights had been spent trying, just trying, to convince himself that it couldn't be true. He'd fallen for another guy. Not some pretty woman walking down the street, or swooning already at his looks. Not a girl with a curvy body and beautiful heavily lashed eyes or a sassy spitfire ready for the next challenge. No he'd fallen for a guy. Yes, his first midnight hours were spent in the utter realization that he was gay.
 
After that it been trying to figure out, why him? Of all the male friends he had, it had go and be him. They could hardly talk without argument, barely be in the same room without insults. Blades had been pressed to his throat on many an occasion because of his newly found love interest. And the bruises and icy grip at his heart were reminders that the feelings weren't mutual. But that was something you lived with when love was unrequited.
 
Since then, each midnight waking had been put about to the use of making himself ready for the day ahead. For the next round of fighting and smiling he would put on to keep out the people who would guess then try and help and then tell him to just get over it. A crush it may have started, but love it now was. And love? It hurt the shaman; hurt like the pain of an empty stomach. And it didn't help, the yelling that had gone on earlier in the evening.
 
HoroHoro sighed, rolling over for the umpteenth time. So none of the words had been any harsher then usual, so none of the insults any more cruel. But he'd been so sure that maybe, just maybe he' found his reason for loving the boy. Shot through the heart and bleeding on the floor, he'd found that he was very much wrong. Maybe it had been right to take Yoh's advice and avoid him all day. Then again maybe that was why he was awake at midnight once again.
 
Finally Horo slid lazily from his bed covers. He didn't even use the grace to get up but rather slid to the floor. It was pleasantly cool to the skin left bare by his boxers and t-shirt. Finally he sleepily crawled to the doorway and pulled himself to standing. Horo glanced down the halls before he left the sanctuary of his room. He moved fluidly down the hall, a little more grace then he normally possessed. He couldn't take it any longer. He needed to say it, but in the onsen, where spirits were often around, he couldn't just mutter it. In fact, he didn't even feel he could tell anyone outright. The idea of people either disgusted or gushing over it didn't appeal.
 
Horo stood in front of the closed door, the last hesitation before he moved it without noise and entered just as quietly. He'd lose his head if he was caught. And that would leave his spirit to figure it out. He looked at the sleeping figure, back to him. Horo swallowed a bit thickly, put his mind to it and opened his mouth.
 
“Hey,” he whispered, he didn't mean to wake, “About today, you actually hit something, man. Not expecting an apology, just letting you know. See, I've been up at midnight for months now. `Cause the crazy thing is, it took me those months and a few years to figure this out. I think of you in a different way than I do of the others. That night I realized what I was feeling.” Horo sat on the floor beside the bed.
 
“I tried to tell myself that it couldn't be, I was being as stubborn as you. But then, I just wanted to know why it was you. Why you were the one. There are people out there with better personalities and temperaments but it was you. But then I thought I found a reason. And so when you were yelling today, the reason I thought I had just disappeared. So maybe I should just say it right now. I think I love you. I really do.” And with that confession, HoroHoro stood up and left the room, careful to shut the door. He walked back to his room, curled under his blankets and fell to sleep like he hadn't in a week.
 
Usui Horokeu confessed his love and didn't stick around long enough to notice the fact that the other boy was awake. Tao Ren laid silent with a slight blush to his pale cheeks. Maybe waking at midnight hadn't been such a bad thing.
OWARI
 
Umm, this is my first Shaman King fic, and I'm sorry if you can spot some blantant mistakes. But I really wanted to write this. I have a second one that needs a lot of revision before I would put it up. I like this one though, so send your thoughts.
 
Chaos Blade