Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ More Than An Enemy ❯ More Than An Enemy ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Shaman King - More Than An Enemy - Shonen ai. . . kinda. . . No stuff if you catch my drift. Just light fluff.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Shaman King characters or any other things in this story, save for my imagniation that thought of it. I owe Takei-sama all the credit for the characters.

This is my first shot at shonen ai, so flame me if you want. I don't care. If I get good reviews, I'll try my hand at other's. It's rated for Tao Ren's language. . . and I think that's the only reason. Oh well. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------

Orange and yellow hues danced across the darkening sky, making the horizon resemble a water-color painting. Dim stars began appearing, though they were barely visible due to the street lights that started flickering on as well. But few people stopped to admire this beautiful scene, many just ignored it and went on with their lives. Even those who, unlike many, used to admire the small things in life, ignored the stars and looked elsewhere for guidence. . . they were all lost souls.

His cold, amber gaze traced the dim stars as the last lights of day dipped beyond the western horizon. Even here, where the were at their brightest, they seemed dimmer to him. Was he now becoming one of the ignorant city dwellers who'd long since lost their way? No. He shook his head, his eyes closed. He wasn't like them. . . he wouldn't allow himself to be one of them.
The chinese boy sighed, kicking at the ground. His purpose, like the stars, had dimmed in his heart. He was broken. He had lost. . . and to a shaman who called ghosts his friends, no less. He clenched his fists in anger. Ghosts weren't friends, they were tools. Nothing more, nothing less. But. . . if that were true. . . why did he believe differently? Was he really that blind? Or. . . could he be right?
"No." he mumbled, looking to the sky again. "He's wrong. He's just trying to make his messed up fairytale true." Asakura Yoh was wrong. It went against everything he was taught. It went against the truth that was so easy to see. The truth Tao Ren had been taught at an early age. What Asakura believed was nothing more than a far-fetched dream.
The older japanese shaman's annoying smile flashed in his head. He growled in rage. Why the hell wouldn't that nuiscence leave his thoughts?
It had been months since he'd seen, let alone spoke to, said shaman, and it had been even longer since they'd faught. Sure, he'd been confronted by Asakura's belif's when Jun, his sister, had told him that she no longer believed what En said to be true. But it hadn't been Ren who had been talked to - changed - by Asakura.

"Hey!" The Tao boy blinked, turning quickly; defensive stance taken instinctively. He heard footsteps coming up the cracked, cement steps that led up to Funbari Hill. A carefree chuckle followed after the fottsteps had silenced. "Didn't expect to see you back here. . . or is your next opponent somewhere in Tokyo?"
His brow furrowed deeply, his defense falling. 'Great. This is just what I need. . . '
Asakura stepped from the shadows into the light of the cemetary's lone street light, his careless smile plastered across his face. His skinny arms were tucked behind his head, his hands disappearing under his dark brown hair.
'How can he act so so at ease around someone who seeks his life?' Tao Ren noted that his ghost was no where to be found. He was defenseless. As defenseless as, though he would never appear so, Ren himself.
The older shaman walked across the wooden bridge, his hands now in his pockets. "So," he started. "what've you been up to?" He looked back at the proud chinese shaman.
He glared at him. "Why the hell do you care?!" Tao Ren snapped. Asakura's smile faded.
"I just thought I'd ask, Ren-kun. . . " he said quietly.
The chinese boy blinked a few times, trying to register what he said. '`Ren-kun?` What the hell?' They were enemies in Ren's mind, yet this naive shaman seemed hurt by what he had said. 'Why the hell did I answer him?' he wondered. He would usually just glare at the inquirer, insult him, and be on his way. Why had he bothered to answer his question?
He looked back in Asakura's direction when he heard the boy sigh. Yoh was now sitting on the ground, his back against the tree with his face turned up to the sky.
"Why are you always so defensive?" Asakura's gaze stayed on the ebon sky. "Not everyone's out to get you."
Ren stared at him, confussion dancing in his amber eyes. Did he forget how he swore that Amidamaru would be his? Or all the threats on his life?
Yoh's eyes moved to Ren, awaiting his answer.
The Tao boy turned away, his hands in his pockets. 'I'm defensive because that's how I was taught. . . ' his mind whispered. "How I act is none of your concern, Asakura." he told him in his usual cold tone.
Behind him, Ren heard the japanese shaman stand, followed by his footsteps on the wooden bridge.
Asakura stopped half a foot or so from him, the proud chinese shaman could feel his gaze on him. "I know it shouldn't be my concern. . . but I care. . ."
Ren glanced over his shoulder, meeting Yoh's freindly brown eyes. He smirked, turning away from hom again. "You can't sway my idea's like you did my sister. So drop the act, and leave me alone." He looked up at the sky as he started walking down the path.
Yoh blinked a few times, reaching out to Ren. He caught the his arm, causing the shorter boy to spin around, his eyes burning with rage for having been touched.
"Stay. . . Ren-kun?"
Ren stared at him, his expression still seething with anger. Yoh's eyes resembled, to him anyway, the puppy who was last to be bought. So sad. So lonely. He shook that thought away metally, closing his eyes.
Asakura released his arm and looked at his feet. "Please stay?" he said in a low tone, not looking up.
Tao Ren looked up at him, the gears in his mind working so hard that he swore they could be heard in the silence that enshrouded the two boys. What the hell was going on? Why wasn't he leaving this poor excuse of a shaman? And why was Asakura so iminent on him staying? He sighed, shaking his head muttering under his breath.
"Nani?" Yoh looked up, blinking.
He rolled his eyes. "I said that I'd stay."
Asakura flashed his cheery smile before reaching for Ren's hand. "C'mon!" Whatever pain the chinese shaman had inflicted with his words was obviously gone.
The chinese boy stared at him, showing no sign of taking his outstretched hand.
The older boy sighed inwardly, grabbing his arm. He jogged back across the bridge, a very upset shaman bing pulled behind him.
"Unhand me!" Ren cried, trying to break his hold. Yoh skidded to a halt on the cliff-like outcropping, his smiling face turned to the sky. He laughed a bit, releasing Tao Ren's arm.
Ren backed away from him, rubbing his arm. 'He's stronger than he looks.' he thought, leaning agianst the tree.
Asakura looked back at Ren, who was now staring at the dark sky. He smiled lightly. "The best star-gazing spot in town." he said with a nod.
The other boy looked at him, his eyes showing no emotion, before looking to the sky again. "The only spot in the godforsaken city." he muttered, sitting down against the proud tree that stood on the cliff.
He watched him for a moment before moving toward him. The other shaman glanced at him, but that was the only attention he paid him. Asakura sank down beside him, casting glances from Tao Ren to the sky.
"Why did you want me to stay here?" Ren's gaze shifted to the older boy beside him.
Yoh shrugged. "I don't know, Ren-kun. . . I just wanted to have someone to watch the skies with."
Tao Ren shifted slightly, closing his eyes. "So why not bring your short friend or your fiance?" he inquired.
The japanese shaman looked at him. "Because they don't understand the stars." he looked back at the sky.
Ren looked at him again, trying to figure his explanation out. His fiance, Anna or whatever her name was, was an itako. She would be able to interpret the stars as good as any shaman.
He blinked a few times, not realizing his attention had gone back to the sky, he looked back at Yoh. The other's shaman's head was now resting on his shoulder, his eyes closed.
"Ren-kun. . ?" Asakura said quietly.
"Hmmm?" Ren closed his eyes, his head on Yoh's.
"If we'd met under different circumstances, do you think we could've been friends?" he asked. "Or. . . maybe more. .?" he asked in a quiet voice, lacing his fingers with the younger boy's.
Ren opened his eyes slightly. "I don't know, Yoh-kun. . . Maybe. . . but I don't know." he closed his again. 'What you'll never know. . . and what I never realized. . . is that everytime we meet. . . I see you as more than an enemy. . .'

-End-

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------

I will admit that Ren-kun, and Yoh-kun for that matter, was more Ooc than I had wanted. I made him softer than he really was! Gah! I'm sorry, Ren-kun! I love the chinese bishi and I hate seeing him Ooc! Also, this is my first time writing anything close to shonen ai, and I know it sucked. I like reading 'em and I would like to write them, but this was a little hard for me. Maybe after reading more it'll become easier.
And as you all know, I do not care if you flame me or give me any suggestions. I want to become a better writer. Eh. . . anyway, you can interpret this story how you want. . . personally, I think I could've done better if I was used to writing such things, but whatever.