Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ Princess ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shaman King belongs to Hiroyuki Takei, not me.
-
-
-
Hao stuffed a pillow over his head, groaning. The little voice was incredibly persistent.
 
“Daaaaaaaaaaaaaddy…”
 
He grunted.
 
“Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaddy…”
 
Hao pushed himself out and followed the little voice. Anna was standing at the top of the stairs, her yellow blankie trailing behind her and her pacifier in her mouth. “Daddy, I wanna go downstairs,” she said. “I wanna go downstairs.”
 
“How did you get out of your crib?” Hao asked.
 
Anna tapped her little chin thoughtfully. “Really carefully?” she tried.
 
He plunked down next to her on the top step. “Can't you go down by yourself?” he yawned.
 
She blinked. “I scared of stairs,” she said. Anna stretched out her little arms. “Daddy, I wanna go downstairs.”
 
Hao picked her up. “No, Anna-chan,” he said. “It's four in the morning. You should still be asleep.”
 
“I not tired,” the blonde chibi protested. “I want to watch `toons.”
 
“No, no toons,” Hao said. “Yoh is still sleeping, isn't he?” She nodded. “Then you get to come sleep in my room.” He set the little girl down on his futon. Anna stared up at him, sucking on her pacifier. Hao laid down beside her, propping himself up on his elbow as he gazed up at her. He poked her in the tummy, eliciting a little giggle. “Are you a happy kid?”
 
“Happy kid,” Anna repeated. She poked his cheek.
 
“Have you always been a happy kid?” he asked.
 
Anna shook her head.
 
Hao sat up. “When were you not a happy kid?” he asked.
 
She began to play with his long hair. “When I lived with oji-san.”
 
“Who was your uncle?” he asked.
 
“Oji-san said I was bad,” Anna said. Her dark eyes became solemn. “When I was bad, he would put me in the closet.”
 
Hao drew her against him. “Did it scare you?” he asked softly.
 
She nodded. “He forgot me,” Anna said. “I had, I had…” She stopped and studied her little fingers. “I had two sleeps in the scary closet.”
 
He closed his eyes and hugged Anna against his chest. The little mite sucked on her pacifier and cuddled her blanket. “I'm sorry,” he whispered. “I didn't know.”
 
“I want Yoh now,” Anna said. “Can I have my Yoh?”
 
Hao obliged by standing up, still cradling her in the crook of one arm, and carried her into Yoh's room. “Wake up,” he said, nudging the sleeping form of his brother. Yoh grunted. “There's a little shbabe who wants you.”
 
“Hm?” Yoh murmured. Hao set the toddler down next to Yoh. Anna nestled against him, resting her small rosy cheek against his. “What is it, sweetie?” He smoothed her hair back. “You want a snuggle?” Yoh tugged her closer and draped her thin warm blankie over her.
 
Hao crouched next down and covered Anna's small ears. “Abuse,” he whispered.
 
Yoh blinked. “What?”
 
“Her uncle abused her,” Hao said, his voice low and tight. Anna stroked Yoh's arm, not listening. “He locked her in the closet. She said that one time he left her in for two nights in a row.”
 
Yoh's strong arms wrapped around the toddler, cuddling her close and burying his face in her soft sweet hair. “That could explain a lot,” he murmured. He kissed her temple. Anna blinked, her long lashes brushing against his cheek. She placed her tiny hand on his ear and toyed with it. “Mwah!” Yoh said, kissing her hand. Anna giggled through her pacifier. Yoh tugged playfully on the mouthpiece. “What can we do today, honey?” He pulled the pacifier out.
 
“No stairs,” Anna said.
 
He chucked her under the chin. “No stairs,” he agreed.
 
“Movie,” the chibi exclaimed. She rolled over onto her tummy, climbed onto Yoh's chest, and patted her small hands against his cheeks. “Movie! Movie!”
 
“I guess she wants to see a movie,” Hao laughed. He picked up the baby and tossed her in the air, making her giggle. “We'll go see a fun movie.”
 
“Passie!” Anna wailed. Yoh popped the little plastic piece into her mouth and she sucked on it amiably.
 
“But first, a little nappie so Anna-chan doesn't fall asleep,” Yoh said. He tucked her into bed beside him and kissed her. “Good night.”
 
“Nigh-nigh…” Anna said, cuddling in the crook of his arm. Hao tucked her in, kissed her nose, patted his brother on the head, and turned out the light. They were both asleep before he closed the door.
-
-
-
For author's notes and commentary, please visit my homepage and go to the link marked “Fanfiction.”