Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ Sentimental Rhapsody ❯ Drabble I:Icy Love & Thoughts of Marriage ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Welcome to my little collection of Pirika/Ren drabbles. Enjoy. (Mind you, most drabbles are supposed to be short, so don’t nag me because of the length.)

Sentimental Rhapsody

P/R

Drabble I:

Icy Love & Thoughts of Marriage

A beautiful young woman with deep blue hair, and cerulean eyes glistening with warmth, as her body chilled, sat in front of a fire inside of her home, her legs bunched a bit as she curled, attempting to gather warmth.

She bit her bottom lip, trying to distract her attention from the cold and to the slight pain she was causing, but it had no affect.

She sat like that for what seemed to be hours in the cool, wintry night in her house, yet it was really only a few minutes.

She stared as the flames flickered back and forth, left and right, licking at the logs she had neatly placed in the fire places for the fire to burn off of.

“Onii-chan…” She whispered, scorning herself ever so silently in her mind. She reminded herself that Horokeu was staying with Tamao for a few weeks, and would not return for quite a while.

‘Besides,’ She told herself strongly. ‘I should not always be so dependant on Horo-kun for everything…I’m now a woman, and I must learn to live on my own…’

She shivered, trying to bring warmth to her frosty limbs as she huddled with herself, scooting closer to the fire; although any more and she would accidentally end up right in it.

‘I’m supposed to be Ainu, shouldn’t I be able to handle this?’ But she did know, even though she was an Ainu tribe member, that she would never be able to hold herself up against such cold nights like these if she was never to obtain her own spirit and train herself to be a shaman.

She felt like getting up, and running over to her room to pull on some warm jackets and heavier clothing, but she was far too cold to will herself to do so.

‘I’m such a fool,’ She thought, pouting. ‘I cannot believe that I only threw on a light sweater and jeans…I don’t even have socks…’

She was, in all honesty, positively disgusted with the cold at the moment. Ainu, or not, she couldn’t handle being this cold.

The electricity had gone out a while ago, so calling someone was completely out of the question, and it also made it impossible for her to check the news for reports about the weather.

Pirika heaved a sigh, her tongue licking lips as she shivered once again. ‘Oh, kami-sama, when will this horrid night be over? When will my onii-chan be back? When will someone come for me?’

She shook her head at her own thoughts, as though she was bidding them to leave her forever. ‘I mustn’t think like that…I ought to be thinking about things that will keep me happy, or at least entertained for a while…’

First, her mind wandered to the deep corners to think of Yoh and Anna. ‘Yes, I remember the wonderful wedding that they held only two years ago. Anna-chan looked beautiful in her wedding kimono, and Yoh-kun had still worn that goofy grin all the way through the bonding.’

The young Ainu couldn’t help but giggle as she remembered the joyous looks on all of her friends’ faces as Mr. and Mrs. Asakura kissed, completely the marriage ceremony.

She then took a turn down a path to think of Horokeu and Tamao. ’Hmm, I also remember their wedding day. It was just about the same as Yoh’s and Anna’s. They were all so jovial.’ Pirika sighed, as she looked acutely into the iridescent blaze of the fire.

‘I wish I could be like that on my wedding day…with Ren-kun…’ Her eyes widened, and a blush instantly shot across her cheeks. ’What am I thinking? …Well, Ren-kun really has matured, though. And I have liked him for a while, so I suppose it’s only natural for me to feel that way and think about these things…But I’m not a little day dreaming girl anymore…’

Pirika decided to let it go, and just permit her mind to think back to when she last saw Ren: two months ago.

There was a party being held for all the old friends at the onsen, and everyone was having a grand time. Even Ren was getting in some small talk, and was no longer pointlessly arguing with Horokeu, but rather laughing and enjoying his time with the male Ainu.

‘And I had been speaking with Tamao-chan, and Anna-chan about their lives…’

‘”I must admit, it’s a bit difficult with Horo, but he’s really a man now and knows better than to be leaving messes around and not cleaning up after himself,” Tamao had chirped happily as the three young women stood in a circle together.

‘”Being really together with Yoh has truly brightened me and made me an overall happier person. I even offer people smiles every so often,” Anna spoke softly, giving the other two a smile of her appreciation.

‘”Hmm, so when do you plan on marrying?” Tamao had asked me, curiosity sparkling within her eyes.

“Oh, unh…Well, I-I wouldn’t know who I could possibly ever marry…” I had spoken sheepishly, avoiding their gazes. They all knew, though, about my feelings and thoughts for the broad Tao.

“Oh, why don’t you just tell him how you feel? You never know, he may like you back!” Tamao had encouraged me, grinning.

“And even if he doesn’t like you back,” Anna had begun. “At least you’d have gotten it off your chest, and you wouldn’t have to worry about keeping it a secret if he wasn’t even the right guy for you.”

I thought about what my too friends had just said, but in the end I just decided that it had better be left unsaid.’

Her thoughts finished there as she heard a knock at her front door, and she averted her gaze almost instantly to the source of the sound.

‘Who could be out there at this our, and in these weather conditions?’ She asked herself frantically.

Even though earlier, she could barely stand up, or even think about moving, she somehow found her feet guiding her to the door absentmindedly.

She stepped in front of her front door, which was in the room opposite the one where she had previously been seated in, and reached a shaky hand out to grasp the doorknob.

Pirika turned it slowly, and opened the door even slower, causing a slight creaking noise to become audible.

She peaked through the barely open door, just enough to see the slender glint of pure yellow, tiger-like eyes peering back at her ardently.

A gasp issued from the back of her throat, and she breathed out a three letter word, before hurriedly opened the door all the way, and allowing a young man to tread in.

“R-Ren! A-are you all right?” She asked worriedly, grabbing onto the man’s shoulder and gazing up at him.

Ren, who was breathing deeply, looked down at the young woman and smiled.

Her heart skipped a beat as he smiled.

‘He looks so gorgeous when he smiles--well, even more gorgeous, that is…’ She thought, that wasn’t the main priority on her mind.

“Come on, Ren, you can go into the living room while I get some hot cocoa and blankets. You just go warm up,” She said anxiously.

Ren looked as though he was about to protest, but quickly nodded his head and walked off into the small den.

He hurriedly took off his coat, which had been the only thing that had really been covering him over his clothes, which were completely dry (yes, even his pants, his clothes just stayed dry, okay, don’t bug me about it XP). He also pulled his shoes off, sighed an agitated sigh, and smoothed out his bangs, closing his penetrating eyes.

He could hear some cluttering, which, he guessed, was coming from the kitchen. A few moments later, Pirika appeared with some blankets, which she threw next to Ren, then scurried back into the kitchen.

It was a bit strange, since only a little while earlier, she barely had enough energy to lift her head, but now she was zooming about busily all because of the great Tao’s presence.

She returned again with two mugs of hot cocoa, and handed one to Ren, who had already sat down cross legged and spread the blanket over himself.

Pirika slid underneath the covers as well, and watched as Ren sipped at his cocoa.

‘He hasn’t changed too much over these two months. His spiky tongari (sp) hasn’t changed much, his eyes are still as frightening, yet soothing as ever, and his muscles are still so well toned…’ Pirika thought to herself, eyeing her guest over.

Ren, who had noticed Pirika’s staring, shot a glare in her direction. “What?” He asked her, in almost a harsh tone.

Pirika blinked, and then blushed and looked down at her mug.

“Oh, umm, sorry, Ren-kun…” She whispered.

Ren rolled his eyes in a ‘whatever’ type of gesture, and continued to sip lightly at his hot cocoa, and Pirika stared at hers.

When Ren was finished, he set his mug down on the floor beside him and looked back at Pirika, and called out her name.

The female Ainu looked over to see Ren looking back at her. “Unh, yes, Ren-kun?”

“Thanks,” He spoke quietly.

Pirika shifted slightly. “You’re welcome.”

There was then an awkward silence, and suddenly Ren was thrown off balance, but caught himself as he felt something warm clinging to him.

He looked over slightly to see Pirika clutching onto him tightly, as though nothing else in the world could have mattered at that moment to her.

Her eyes were shut tight as she dug her face into the fabric of Ren’s shirt, and continued holding onto his shirt with her petite hands, that had wound themselves around his waist.

After another moment had passed by, Ren’s arms slowly, and hesitantly made their way around Pirika, pulling her closer to him in a warm embrace.

The girl’s eyes fluttered open, and she looked up to meet the gentle gaze of the Tao who was staring back at her.
She pulled away, and blushed furiously. “Gomen, Ren-Kun…” She said quietly, attempting to hide her blush, but failing terribly. “Sorry…” She whispered again.

Ren continued gazing at her longingly, until he finally spoke in a hushed tone to her. “Pirika,” He began, as he held his arms open and she looked at him shyly and uncertainly. “I’ll keep you warm tonight.”

Pirika couldn’t help herself as she smiled blissfully, throwing herself into his encirclement of sincerity.

‘Maybe I do know who I truly wish to be wed to one day…’ She thought contentedly, nuzzling her head into Ren’s broad chest.

“Aishiteru, Pirika-chan…” He mumbled to her, resting his face in her azure hair, closing his eyes once again.

‘Or maybe, that day will come sooner than I expect…’

“Aishiteru, Ren-kun.”