Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ Slipped Away ❯ chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This chapter is 13 pages I know that's a lot but I figured since it takes me so long to update I'd make this one longer, plus I was on quite a writing streak.
 
Please read and please, please, review reading a story without reviewing is like eating a chocolate covered cherry and not eating the cherry.
 
Besides every time you read a story with out reviewing the Author's ego dies a little bit. XD
 
Thanks to MetalGodzillamon for beta reading and to XxXOrangyPeachXxX (of fan fiction . net) for beta reading when I thought MetalGodzillamon's computer had messed up so kind of a combined beta reading.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----
About a week went by, Lyserg would drop hints to Jane to say something and she would almost ignore it ever happened and tell a joke or something. Even though things around the Asakura residence seemed business as usual, the nervous energy felt as if it could be cut with a knife.
 
“Lyserg, you're on dishes!” Anna ordered, peering from the kitchen door.
 
Lyserg walked in to the kitchen and got to work. Anna sat at a table doing a cross word puzzle.
 
“Lyserg, don't forget clean the scrubber after you're done.” said Anna.
 
“Yes, Miss Anna.” Said Lyserg after stalling his answer a bit.
 
“You're worried about her.” Said the itako, without looking up from her cross word puzzle. “What?” said Lyserg, a tad bit confused.
 
“You think you should have been there for Jane when her mother was killed.”
 
“When did cleaning the scrubber turn in to talking about Jane?” Lyserg asked
 
“You've been like this all week; don't tell me I can't read you, because you know damn well I can. I know for a fact that you would give almost anything to have been there for her, like she would have given almost anything to have been there for you when your parents were killed, and both of you know none of that was possible.”
 
“Well maybe if I didn't act like such an idiot and confronted Jane…” Lyserg started but he was cut off by Anna saying
 
“Yeah if you weren't such an idiot, her dad may have lashed out even sooner and yeah maybe you and Jane would be in better situations or maybe he would have just gotten a gun and shot you all. Then not only would Jane's mother be dead but you and her too and her dad may have gotten off Scot-free.”
 
“I don't know Anna it's just that I…” he was cut off once more by Anna
 
“Enough with the drama! What the hell is wrong with you and Jane? Let me guess you'd both going to blame it on your pasts, your past doesn't count for your future. Jane's dad came in a tried to kill her do you think they're going to just throw him back in jail with out having a trial? Jane's going back up on the stand and I have a feeling a lot's going to be coming out and she's going to need you more than ever.”
 
“But I don't see how me being around would help wouldn't it just make things worse… If only I could have around then I…”
 
“You know what Lyserg, REN IS SUCH A BETTER LISTENER THAN YOU!” Anna yelled this, Ren over herd and yelled
 
“NO I'M NOT!”
 
“Well you just heard me!” yelled Anna
 
“Did Lyserg forget to clean the scrubber again?” asked Yoh
 
“Yes.” Anna lied,
 
“You've got to quit doing that,” said Jane
 
“After you're done with the dishes take out the trash.” Anna ordered Lyserg with out another word about Jane. Anna was right only a day after they received a call from Jane's lawyer.
 
“Hey, anyone want to make a vacation out of this?” Jane said
 
“What do you mean by `vacation'?” asked Lyserg
 
“I've got to go back to England for my dad's trail.”
 
“Sounds good. We've been needing to get out of Japan for a while,” Anna said this, while eyeing Lyserg a bit with an `I was right' type look on her face.
 
“So when is it?” asked Lyserg
 
“Two weeks actually I'm surprised it's this soon, normally its months after.” Said Jane
Only about 5 days later, they were headed to England.
 
The plane trip went ok as in Horohoro, Ren, and Chocolove only fought 5 times.
 
When they made it to London; the decision was made to stay at Jane's house she's hadn't sold it, and all of the original house keeping staff still worked there since she didn't want to fire them and needed someone to be there.
 
“This place is kept better than a museum.” Said Yoh
 
“My house keepers are great.” said Jane
 
“No kidding.” Said Chocolove
 
“Well, there's 23 bed rooms here, go have your pick. There are three stories and 2 bathrooms on each one.” Said Jane
 
Lyserg walked around he top story of the house every room door was open; every room was very clean; that is every room but one. Lyserg opened the door and seen a trashed room he wondered why house keeping would be so meticulous with every room but leave that one. UNTOUCHED.
 
“I suspect miss Jane didn't tell you.” A woman told; Lyserg turned around to see who it was
 
“This was the room Elizabeth was murdered in, Jane asked for us to leave it UN touched and that's what we did.” Said the woman.
 
“Is there anything else you can tell me about the murder?” Lyserg asked.
 
“You're just like your father. I wasn't here that night but the cook was preparing food for a party you should go ask her.” Said the woman
 
“Thanks.” Lyserg said, he figured he'd find out more about the murder to see if there was anything Jane hadn't said.
 
“Wow Jane I'm kind of worried about getting lost.” Yoh joked,
“Stop being stupid Yoh!” Anna snapped, giving the Asakura a light slap
Just then there was a knock at the door, Jane opened the door to see nothing but news cameras and reporters.
 
“Is true that he had a knife?” one asked.
 
Lyserg walked up to the door and stood beside Jane
 
“Is that the friend you were lied to about dying to when you were six?” another reporter asked
 
“When is the court date?” another asked
 
“I hate media swarms.” Jane whispered to Lyserg
 
“I could see why.” Lyserg whispered back
 
“Did I say I wanted a press conference at my front door?” Jane asked sarcastically “Please go away before I have you all arrested for trespassing.”
 
The news crews slowly left
 
“Ok, I'm going to unpack some stuff in my room.” Jane said
 
The grope spread out among the mansion Lyserg picked a room and quickly ran down to the kitchen.
 
The kitchen smelled sweet like sugar and resembled one of a restraint
 
“I figure either you've come to ask about Jane or want a cookie.” A voice said
 
Lyserg laughed a little before saying “actually both would be nice.”
 
“Well, the night of the murder I was in here working on food for a party that was planed for the next day. I didn't hear any screams from up there because how solidly this house was built. I didn't even know until John ran down the stairs with blood all over him, I didn't say anything to him he didn't make it out either, he just sat on the end of the stairs for a moment then ran back up after someone upstairs screamed I'm thinking it was Jan but I don't know for shore. I called the police right after.”
 
“That's really weird that he didn't run outside knowing there was someone of the staff inside. How long was it from the time he ran upstairs to the time the cops came?” Lyserg asked
 
“I'd say about 15 minutes give or take a few. I stayed down stairs though; I've a family to feed and don't need to die. Jane knew this before she left to find you so instead of selling the place she kept all the staff hired to take care of things while she was gone.”
 
“Is there anything else you can tell me?” Lyserg asked
 
“Not much, but John sort of has a mafia you should be careful dabbling in something like this.”
 
“Little bit too late, I think I've been dabbling since I was four.” Lyserg said as he walked out in to the living room
 
It was true John had started a mafia of course the others in the grope had herd the roomers but they really didn't care about what John had up his sleeve
 
 
“Hey Lyserg, you want to see something cool?” Chocolove asked
 
“Of course he doesn't!” Ren snapped at Chocolove
 
“Are you him!?” Chocolove yelled at Ren
 
“NO, BUT I DON'T THINK HE WANTS TO BE BUGGED BY YOU AND NEITHER DO I!” Ren yelled with that, Jane ran down stairs and had Lyserg and Yoh help her move furniture around to give Ren and Chocolove a place to fight.
 
“PLACE YOUR BETS NOW!” Horohoro called
 
“Of course I'll bet my little baby brother.” Jun said
 
“I'm picking Chocolove,” Jane said
 
“Why?” Lyserg asked
 
“I want to see if it will encourage him.” Jane said
 
After the fight was over Ren was declared the winner and lost of money was lost and won among the group.
 
“Finally I make something good off Ren.” Horohoro said happily counting the share of money he had won.
 
“Chocolove, in true mafia style, you lost the match and made me lose money so I'm going to have to break your legs.” Jane said flashing an evil smile
 
“Wha???” Chocolove said confused
 
“I'm kidding.” Jane said to the shocked group “Oh my god! you all thought I was serious?”
 
“Well, for a minute there you had me going.” Yoh said
 
“N-not me.” Manta said coming out from behind the brunet. He laughed and said “oh really,”
 
“I never knew shamans could be so jumpy.” Jane said laughing a bit
 
“For the record my face didn't even change.” Ren said
 
“Renny don't you remember reaching for your kawn dow?” Jun asked teaseling
 
“JUN! Well I saw you getting ready to unleash pi-long!” Ren said
 
“Well, at least I admit.” Jun laughed
 
“Ryu the look on you face was hilarious.” Horohoro said
 
“Well at least I wasn't the one hiding behind my little sister.” Ryu said
 
“Yeah, why did you do that?” Pirika asked Horohoro
 
“Hey Lyserg did you see him he was all…” Yoh started but notice Lyserg hadn't said anything
 
“Earth to Lyserg.” Horohoro said
 
“Lyserg!” Ryu yelled
 
“humm What?” Lyserg said
 
“You were off daydreaming again.” Anna said
 
“Oh, sorry.” Lyserg said
 
“He was dreaming about his girl friend.” Horohoro taunted grinning like an idiot
 
“Oh Horo, Jane and I are not-” Lyserg started to say this as Jane and he said at the same time “boy friend and girl friend!”
 
“Deny all you want.” Ryu said grinning
 
Just then the door bell rang
 
“Damn paparazzi!” Jane cursed as she ran to the door she opened it and said calmly “I have just returned from a long trip and do not wish to be disturbed today please-”
 
“Jane it's not the news crews it's your lawyer.” A woman said she had brown hair and brown eyes and was wearing a red suit “I hope I'm not interrupting anything.” She said
 
“No, no not at all Margaret I thought you were the press coming to nag me more. Please come right in” Jane joked
 
Jane walked with her to the room where the others were, the first person Margaret noticed was Lyserg.
 
“You're Liam Diethel's son aren't you?” she asked
 
“Yeah.” Lyserg said
 
“I used to work with your father back in the good old days when I was just coming out of school.” Margaret said
 
“I think I remember meeting once when I was around 4.” Lyserg said
 
“Yeah that was you alright you look just like him; I came by to go over some papers.”
 
“Great just have a seat.” Jane said
 
“Alright Jane you will probably end up on the witness stand and anyone else in this room that seen the incident at the Funbari hot springs has now been served and must show up on the court date.” Margaret said
 
“Whoa, whoa, whoa lady, I'm not looking to get up on that witness stand here I know about John's mafia and I do not wish to be found dead in a dumpster!” said Chocolove he got strange looks from everyone in the room but Anna, Ren and Margaret
 
“Chocolove no one is going to be found dead in a dumpster! Heck for all we know the mafia thing is a crazy roomer but if it takes getting up there and just saying what happened for Jane you'd do it wouldn't you?” Yoh asked
 
“Actually, I choose life!” said Chocolove
 
“Chocolove, you do know that if Jane's father is not convicted he will be set free and have full access to his mafia, and then you'll really end up dead.” Said Ren
 
“He makes a good point, and there's really no way you can get out of this.” Said Margaret
 
“Yeah but…” Chocolove started but was cut off by Yoh
 
“And besides Jane's our friend now, getting her and ourselves out of this mess is the least we can do I can only assume she'd do the same for any of us if we ended up in the same position Were also shamans no weak mifia's enough to scare us right?” Yoh said
 
“I'll second that no little mafia's enough to scare me.” Horohoro said
 
“Chocolove I know…” Lyserg started to say something but Chocolove spoke up and said
 
“You know I'll be there!”
 
“Alright then!” said Yoh
 
“Do I look like the kind of person that blackouts last minute?” Ren asked
 
“One. Of course I'll go. and two. Margaret will you be m shaman queen?” Ryu asked while everyone else had an anime style face fall.
 
“Dose he always do that?” Margaret asked Jane
 
“With every new girl he sees.” Jane replied
 
“So Lyserg you in?” Yoh asked
 
“Why not Jane's dad already wants me dead, let's give him a real reason.” Lyserg said
 
“Thanks guys I hope I'm not putting any of you in any danger by getting you all into this.” Jane said
 
“Jane, there is no was you dad's mafia can be worse than Hao.” Said Horohoro
 
“I hope you're right.” Jane said
 
“Ok then Jane the trial is in three weeks, witch I think was oddly fast to pick a jury in a case like this, so your testimony has to be believable if they find him not guilty we can still look in to the jury and make shore they don't work for him.” Margaret said
 
After a few hours of planning, Margaret went on her way.
 
“So we might as well make a vacation out of this we've got three weeks to kill.” Said Jane
 
“Really you want to go around town and…” Yoh said this because he was not expecting Jane to just up and act like nothing was going on
 
“Yeah Yoh, I mean you might as well blow some money on Anna and sitting around won't help anything.” Jane said
 
“You make a good point.” Said Anna
 
“Cool then we'll have to do something right?” said Jane
 
“I meant about Yoh buying me stuff, that sounds good.” Anna said looking at Yoh
 
“No problem Anna.” Yoh said while Horohoro and Chocolove stood behind him making whip sounds
 
“Yoh's been whipped!” Horohoro said joking
 
“Have you got a problem with how I treat my fiancé?” Anna asked sending Chocolove and Horohoro a glare.
 
“N-no Anna-sama.” the two said at the same time
 
“Anna is powerful!” said Jane while pretending to bow to Anna
 
Two days Later Lyserg had made a trip with Jane to look into some business.
 
“Ok Lyserg I'll be right back.” said Jane as she walked in to an office.
 
Lyserg remembered being here when he was five with his mother most everything had been updated but the floors still had the same tiles and the building still echoed terribly and didn't hold heat well. He looked at a wall where there was a sort of plaque erected to his father. He wondered if he'd ever be able to have that kind of success.
 
“You're Liam Diethel's son am I right?” a security guard said
 
“Umm… Yeah.” Lyserg said trying to remember if he had seen this guy before.
 
“I bet I know why you're here, you're here with Jane Tarvered aren't you?” asked the guard
 
“Yeah, came by to look at some papers and stuff.”
 
“My god was that a bloody murder.” Said the guard
 
This caught Lyserg's attention “you know about the murder!”
 
“Yes, you see some bad ones but that, that was pretty bad in fact that's why I deiced to become a security guard.”
 
“What exactly do you mean?” Lyserg asked
 
“I worked on the police force before the murder and seeing as I had to have a job I deiced security guard would be best. That night's still too fresh in my mind; I can't believe Jane didn't bite the bullet on the stand.”
 
“What?” Lyserg asked hoping to get as much info as he could
 
“She didn't tell you did she? After the murder, there was speculation that John had tried to kill her she had cuts on her left ankle and a few on her shoulders. Of course we couldn't say John had done anything because she wouldn't give testimony, but we all knew there was no way she could have gotten all those cuts from a fall.”
 
Lyserg wondered why Jane hadn't said anything he knew she hated her father but he thought that maybe Jane would have wanted to be shore her father was locked up forever why wouldn't she just admit what happened. He was a little frustrated because he knew his father would have convinced Jane's dad easily even without her saying anything he wished his skills could be better.
 
“By the way the boss wants your head.” The guard said to Lyserg as he walked by laughing a bit
 
“What?” Lyserg said as he stood up slowly
 
“You herd me you're one dead kid; you should have stayed in Japan and not bothered with this. The boss will want to know you asked he hates when people scoop around in his family affairs. Telling anyone here about what I just said won't help you because no one will believe you, and you can bet it will only make things worse so if I were you when Jane comes I'd get as far away from here before something bad happened. I'll be here on the court date I wouldn't tell Jane if I were you, you wouldn't want to make her nervous and not say anything.” After saying this, the guard walked off. Lyserg wanted so bad just to kick his ass but had to remember attacking him would be a mistake, he was in a public place and knew the guard might have had the chance to tell Jane he had asked and there was no way he could prove what the guard had said.
 
“At least now I have more info and know one person to watch out for.” Lyserg said to him self He knew the guard was right it would be better for him to not tell Jane just yet.
 
Jane walked out of the office “come on Lyserg let's go.”
Lyserg and Jane started walking outside Lyserg after hearing what the guard had said just wanted to get Jane home away from any threat. “Hey Jane do you know a faster way?” Lyserg asked
 
“Yeah but the traffic's a little worse so it might take us just as long but I'm bored anyway so let's go.”
 
Lyserg was pleased he had made Jane change her mind, he would have told her about the guard but he didn't want her to be freaked out so he deiced to tell her once they got back to the others.
 
The two walked on fro a while until Jane stopped when a blonde girl called her name and ran up to them with two other girls.
 
Jane sighed and asked “Mary what is it now?” The blonde girl smiled and said “is that Lyserg Diethel?”
 
Lyserg answered, “Yeah I'm him.”
 
“Do you both still see ghosts?” the girl asked
 
“Do you still have nothing better to do, my god you'd think you would have bored to death without me here to torment.” Jane said
 
“No but I was starting to get bored, so do you still see dead people or did you meet an exorcist in Japan?” she asked.
 
“No you your information I did not.” Jane said
 
“Are you shore?' Mary asked
 
“Positive.” Jane said annoyed
 
“In that case you still see ghosts so I won't feel bad about calling you both freaks.” Mary said
 
“Don't you have anything better to do?” Lyserg asked
 
“I don't have a ghost if that's what you mean.” Mary said
 
“Can't you just leave us alone and go on your marry way with your stupid ego trip.” Lyserg said
 
“We would but we don't want to turn our backs on you, no telling what a mafia girl and her pimp might do.” Another one of the girls said
 
“Why yes I'm in the mafia my dad runs after he tried to kill me it make perfect sense doesn't it? Wow I didn't know Lyserg was my pimp I thought you might have one seeing at how scantily clad you're all dressed.” Jane said very annoyed
 
“Seriously you've nothing better to do than…” Lyserg started to say this until a white wan with tinted windows came speeding around the curb and nearly hit them luckily Lyserg was fast enough to push the Jane and the others off the side of the road.
 
“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!” one of the girls said
 
“Wow the traffic really is bad here!” Lyserg said in shock
 
Jane was lying on the ground in shock and said “a driver who REALLY can't drive.”
 
“Did anyone get that psycho's tag?” another girl asked
 
“No he was busy saving your butt!” another said.
 
“I wonder what that was about?” said Jane
 
Lyserg was quite for a minute and said “So Jane you think we should head back?”
 
“Yeah that would be a very, very good idea.” Jane replied and Lyserg helped her up he offered to help the other girls up but they acted smug.
 
Lyserg and Jane got back as fast as they could and told the others about the van Lyserg deiced not to tell Jane about the guard after all.
 
“So Lyserg saved a pack of girls, why couldn't I be there and make one of them my shaman queen.” Said Ryu almost crying
 
“Because if you were there, they would have run from you at first site, mainly because of that hair, you would have saved them and be blamed for being a pedophile” Ren said smirking
 
“y-you just insulted my hair, and me you will pay!” yelled Ryu as he and Ren started to fight.
 
“Whoa, hey Lyserg do you know why the van did that?” Yoh asked
 
“uhh.” Lyserg didn't know what he was supposed to tell Yoh, he knew if he said the thing about the security guard it could cause more trouble so he said “I'm not shore Yoh-kun this whole thing is so confusing.”
 
“Meh, maybe he was just drunk and didn't want to be sued.” Jane joked
 
“That or he fell asleep at the wheel.” Said Yoh
 
“Or maybe this has something to do with Jane's dad's mafia.” Said Anna
 
“Could be, but I don't really care I mean were alive and all so it really doesn't matter.” Said Jane
 
“I guess not.” Yoh laughed
 
“You enjoy ignoring things don't you?” Said Anna
 
“What?” Jane said confused
 
“You just want everyone to think you're all care free and nothing bothers you.” Anna said again
 
“Err… Anna-sama I-” Lyserg started to say
 
“Hush you!” Anna snapped at Lyserg
 
“Nope I really don't care!” Jane said
 
“Yeah right, you're one of those people who only acts like it doesn't bother you while it slowly eats you but you don't say anything because you're worried what people might think.”
 
“Anna-sama really..” Lyser was cut off once again by Anna
 
“I'm going to go take a nap… and Yoh why not do some pushups let's say about 3,000 Lyserg you should join too.” After saying this she walked up stairs
 
“I'll keep count.” Said Amidamaru
 
Lyserg and Yoh went straight to doing the pushups Jane asked “but she just suggested?” Yoh answered, “With Anna there is no such thing as a suggestion what she really meant was do it or die.”
 
Jane laughed and said, “Okay I'm going to watch TV up stairs, have fun you two.”
 
“So Lyserg do you know anyway we can fake like 1,000 of these?” Yoh asked laughing a bit
 
“No I thought you would.” Said Lyserg
 
“I'm shore Anna-san will love to hear you two were thinking about slacking off.” Pirika joked
 
“You're so cruel Pirika.” joked Yoh
 
“I know it's great isn't it?” she said before leaving the two alone.
 
“Yoh-kun you think Anna was right about Jane?” Lyserg asked
 
“I don't know she might be, you know how Anna's always right.” Yoh said
 
“Yeah always right.” Lyserg said
 
“But it all has to work out someway so don't worry!” Yoh gave his normal smile
 
This whole thing was making less and less sense day-by-day. Lyserg really wondered if things could or even would work out.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Like I said long chapter. I plan to make a point of view chapter for Jane but at the end of the fiction because if I put it in now it would ruin things.