Shin Megami Tensei Fan Fiction ❯ Dear Diary ❯ April 7th, 2009 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
’s Note: I don’t know about many of you, but I bought Persona P3P in hopes that Junpei would be one of the social links you could date. Oh well… that’s what fanfiction is for! Enjoy the first chapter!

Music Suggestion: www . youtube . com/watch?v=5HX3U9veCO4




.~*~.





April 7th

Dear Diary,

Last night I had a strange dream. I somehow feel it connected to the events that happened on the way to the dorm. I cannot remember much of it, but I remember a dark room, with a strange man seated behind a table with a velvet tablecloth.

I’m more or less all moved in now, and today was my first day at my new school.
Takeba-san showed me around and I met some interesting people…




Haruhi awoke to the sound of someone knocking on her door.
“Fujisawa-san, It’s Yukari! Are you awake?

With a muffled groan, she rolled out of bed and staggered the door. She opened it to find a fully dressed and primped Yukari Takeba, wearing a slightly amused smile.
“Good morning… did you sleep okay?”

She did not. She’d had a strange dream about a man with a long nose… and found it troubling for some reason that she couldn’t put her finger on. She didn’t have much time for further musings on the subject however, before Yukari interrupted her train of thought.
“Mitsuru-senpai asked me to take you to school…” She paused and addressed her tentatively, “…Are… you ready to go?”

School… School!!! Haruhi’s eyes widened, snapping out of her thick, early morning trance and began racing around the room in a panic, still clad in her plaid, pink flannel pajamas.
“Omigosh! I’m going to be late for my first day of school!!!”

Yukari watched for a few moments before bursting into laughter.
“It’s okay, you know! We’ve got time! Let me… let you get ready…”

As Yukari stepped backward out of the room, closing the door behind her, Haruhi’s face turned beet red. What a perfect idiot.

‘Oh well.’ She thought with a sigh as she retrieved her school uniform from her wardrobe, ‘I guess it’s fair enough. Maybe if I keep my promise not to tell anyone about what happened last night when I got here… she’ll forget that just happened.’







Several minutes passed, and soon the bedroom door opened to reveal Haruhi, neatly dressed in her uniform and ready for school. Yukari gave her a warm, friendly smile.
“Are you ready?”

Haruhi replied with a bright, shy smile and a crisp nod.





Aboard the monorail ‘Anehazuru,’ Yukari chattered happily and informatively about the city and school. As Haruhi glanced up out the window, her smile grew with a small gasp.

“Cool, huh?” Yukari grinned, stepping closer to the window as well, “This is my favorite part… when it feels like you’re gliding over the sea.”

The monorail sailed over a stretch of track that was suspended over the bay, soaring towards the man-made island, ‘Tatsumi Port Island.’ In the middle of it all stood a building, tall and proud.

“That’s it, isn’t it, Takeba-san?” Haruhi asked, pointing at the building.

Yukari responded with a nod.
“Yup, That’s it. Welcome to Gekkoukan High! I know you’re gonna love it.”



The two girls arrived at Port Island Station and set off to walk the rest of the way to school. Upon their arrival, Yukari was greeted by several other students. She seemed to be pretty popular…

As they finally entered the school after swimming though the groups of student stopping Yukari on the way, she was approached by a few more students who seemed to be her friends. After introducing Haruhi to them and then instructing her where the bulletin board and the faculty office was, Yukari turned back to her with a smile,
“You’re okay from here, right?”

Haruhi nodded shyly with a smile, getting that Yukari wanted to go and talk with her friends.
“Yeah… I’ll be fine…”

After Yukari left with her friends, Haruhi pushed tentatively through the crowd of students to get to the bulletin board to search for her name. To her horror upon first inspection, her name seemed to be missing. She stood there dumbly for a few moments, panic etched across her face before she heard a chuckle coming from beside her. With a snap, her head turned sharply to the left and up to glance at the person that the sound had come from.

The most distinguishing factor about the boy whom she was now staring up at, besides the fact that he left his uniform jacket unbuttoned, was the baseball cap he was wearing upon his head. She briefly wondered if baseball caps weren’t against school uniform policies after all before his voice broke her train of thoughts again.

“Haha, you look like a deer in headlights.” He flashed her a toothy grin as he chuckled again.

Feeling automatically defensive, she scowled up at him, her face growing hot.
“What do you want?”

Her tone earned another chuckle and as he tilted his head to the side and smirked down at her,
“Me? Oh, I just heard about the brand new, spicy rumor around these halls that there’s a cute new girl in school who came to school with Yukari today.” She glowered up at him as his gaze traveled up to the bulletin board, his smile never faltering. “Ah, here you go. Haruhi Fujisawa.”

He pointed to a small note attached to the bulletin board.
“See? They just added you up there today. You’re in Class 2-F. Same as me.”

Haruhi glanced up at him as he grinned back down at her. She paused, regarding him carefully before finally answering.
“Uh…. Thank you, ah…”

He paused momentarily before catching on,
“Oh. I’m Junpei Iori. I transferred here when I was in the eighth grade, so I know how tough it is, bein’ the new kid.” He leaned forward with a toothy grin and began lightly ruffling her hair, much to her irritation. “So… I thought I’d check up on you. Y’know, make sure you weren’t freaking out on your first day? Now aren’t you glad I came along to help you out?”

She began batting his hand away with one hand as she shielded her hair with the other, scowling up at him with angry red eyes, which only earned her yet another chuckle.
“Oh yes, ecstatic.”

“At it again, huh?” A familiar voice made them both turn around. The crowd around the bulletin board wasn’t as thick anymore, and Yukari seemed to have returned from visiting with her friends. She stood, folding her arms over her chest with a stern glare in Junpei’s direction.
“Honestly… is there any girl you wouldn’t hit on?! Did you ever think you might be bothering someone?!”

As Yukari pulled Haruhi away from him, Junpei gave an innocent shrug,
“What?! I was just bein’ friendly!!”

Yukari’s eyes narrowed at him as she turned, urging Haruhi forcefully away by the shoulders, leading her towards a separate hallway.
“Yeah, if you say so…” With a sigh, she turned her attention back to Haruhi after they were well out of Junpei’s earshot. “Anyway… shouldn’t you be heading to the faculty office? You need to check in with your homeroom teacher before the opening ceremony.”

“Uhm… no. I got caught up trying to find my name on the bulletin board.”

“Well, you’d better hurry. People are already starting to head over to the auditorium.”

With a final push from Yukari, Haruhi was now standing in front of the Faculty Office. After waving goodbye to Yukari, she slid open the door and entered the nearly empty room. Only a young woman in a brown suit stood there, holding a clipboard. As she stepped into the office, the woman turned to greet her.
“Ah! Are you the new student?”

Haruhi nodded tentatively.

“I see. Perfect! I’ve been waiting for you. My name is Ms. Toriumi, your homeroom teacher.” She gave her a warm, welcoming smile before continuing. “I’d like to sit and chat with you a bit, but we’ve got to get to the opening ceremony. If you’ll follow me, I can give you the extra details of what class you’re in, where it is and so-forth.”

Haruhi nodded again as Ms. Toriumi exited the office, following in her wake.




Seated in the auditorium, Haruhi listened to the Principle’s speech drag on and on. As he continued to drone, she couldn’t help hearing excited whispers around her.

“Did you hear about the new transfer student?”

Haruhi slouched in her seat slightly.

“Yeah… she came to school with Yukari today, huh?”

She slid slightly lower in her seat, glancing around nervously. No one seemed to be looking at her.

“I heard she was pretty cute too!”

“Yeah, well if she was walking to school with Yukari today, you’d have as much a chance with the new girl as you’d have of dating Yukari herself.

Haruhi’s face turned beet red as she slid even lower in her seat, wanting nothing more than to disappear.




After the morning ceremonies were finished, the student body filed out of the auditorium and into their respective classrooms to begin their day. Once classes were over, Yukari, who happened to also be in Haruhi’s homeroom, turned around in her seat to smile back at her.

“Pretty cool that we’re in the same homeroom, huh?”

“Yeah,” Haruhi sighed in relief. “I’m glad to have someone I know in class. It’s been so hectic!”

“Um, hello? Did you forget that I’m in this class too?” Junpei’s shining voice caused both girls to turn and glance in his direction. “C’mon, ladies! Lemme in on the fun!”

Before Yukari could open her mouth, he approached them with a grin that was slowly becoming his trademark. “So, Yukari… do you guys know each other? I heard you came to school together this morning. A couple of cuties like you, walking side by side…” He waved his arms as if conjuring an image, “The whole class was buzzing about you.”

“Don’t remind me…” Haruhi sank in her seat, her chin on her desk and her hands covering her head, as if it would deflect any attention drawn to her. Picking up on the obvious body language, Yukari rose from her seat so that she was eye level with Junpei.

“Ugh, could you just cut it out?! I hate dealing with rumors like that. It’s bad enough that I have to deal with it, but she just got here! Don’t you feel even a little bad for spreading rumors like that?!” With a frustrated sigh, she glanced up at the clock and gave an apologetic look to Haruhi. “Well… I’ve got to go and take care of some things for Archery club… which reminds me. There are some openings in some of the other sports clubs. Maybe you oughta check them out sometime.”

She gave her a friendly smile as she picked up her schoolbag and started walking towards the door, pausing to turn and jab a finger in Junpei’s direction.
“Don’t try anything funny, you got that, Junpei?!”

As Yukari left, Haruhi felt as if her only friend in the world had betrayed her. ‘Takeba-san…! Don’t leave me alone with him!!’ She stretched her hand, pathetically, almost comically in the direction where Yukari had disappeared.

Junpei groaned, glancing at the spot where Yukari had left as well.
Augh, come on! What is she, your nanny?!” He turned his head to look back at Haruhi who was still stretching her arm out in a desperate attempt to summon Yukari back with her sheer will. With a chuckle, he scratched the back of his neck as he grinned down at her,
“Hey now, I’m not so bad. Here, lemme make it up to you. I’ll walk you home.”

“What?!” She squeaked.

“Aw, c’mon. I won’t bite.” He laughed. “’Nothing funny,’ remember?”

She regarded him carefully with a stern scowl before gathering her books into her schoolbag and rising from her seat.
“Alright.” She sighed. “Let’s go.”

“Heh, sweet.”



They left through the front doors, Haruhi walking in a calm collected manner, Junpei hopping onto the nearest short stone wall to balance, walking alongside her. Students lounging outside the school or passing by on their way home muttered, glancing at Haruhi and pointing. It was obvious that the rumors about her hadn’t died down yet. Junpei’s voice broke her from her thoughts as his wavering arms reached his back pockets, no longer needing them to balance on the wall.
“So, Haru-chan! How’d you like your first day at Gekkoukan?”

She sighed, lowering her head slightly, deciding to ignore the nickname.
“I really wish people would stop pointing at me… I don’t really like it.”

He merely chuckled in response.
“Aw, they’re just getting in on the gossip that there’s a cute new student, that’s all. It’s not like they’re saying anything bad, or anything.”

She threw him a contemptuous look,
“That doesn’t make it any better.”

Junpei smirked and leapt off the wall, landing in front of her to cause her to come to a stop.
“Hey…” His voice, yet still energetic, was slightly more gentle. “The rumors will die down in a few days- you’ll see.”

She blinked up at him, raising a careful eyebrow as he leaned forward with an almost kind smile.
“And hey- if you ever have a problem, you can tell your ol’ pal Junpei about it.”

She felt her face grow slightly hot, her gaze twitching away and back again, though looking slightly over his shoulder.
“…I… Uh…” She glanced up at him carefully again, “I’ll remember that.”

His smile broadened into a big toothy grin,
“Cool.”

He brought a hand up and ruffled her hair again, causing her to squawk, enraged. Junpei left the school grounds cackling, Haruhi chasing him down while swinging her schoolbag after him.