Skip Beat! Fan Fiction ❯ Lend Me Your Ear ❯ Lend Me Your Ear ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Lend Me Your Ear
Rating: G
Length: 1017 words, complete
Pairing: Hints at Tsuruga/Kyoko
Summary: The aftermath of Kyoko recognizing Cain Heel
Spoilers: Up to chapter 152. If you haven’t read it, don’t read this story yet.



Kotonami Kanae blinked in amazement at her best friend. If she didn’t know Mogami Kyoko so well – they were best friends after all, despite her initial reluctance to have anything to do with the eccentric girl – she wouldn’t be able to believe what she’d just heard.

*

The normally effervescent teenager had been dragging as she entered the “Love Me” department so she could change out of her obscenely hot pink jumpsuit and back into her normal clothes. The girl just always wore her emotions so openly that before she realized what she was saying, Kanae heard the words, “Mo! What’s wrong with you today?” escape her lips. Then she cringed, as the transformation from depressed to excited took place, Kyoko proclaiming the strength of their friendship and how lucky she was to have a friend like “Moko” who cared so much about her. Firmly, Kanae forestalled the advancement of the girl’s ravings and said, “Just tell me what’s going on.”

“I may have just ruined Tsuruga-san’s career!” the girl wailed.

Rolling her eyes, Kanae sighed. “Tsuruga Ren is the single most popular actor in all of Japan. Even someone as spastic as YOU couldn’t ruin his career in one afternoon. So calm down and tell me what happened.”

It took Kanae’s practiced ear to pick out, amidst all the self-deprecation and woeful apologies to the world the story. Kyoko’s latest assignment from the LME President had been to greet and escort a Mr. Cain Heel to the studio. But the President had changed the meeting place without telling Kyoko until such time as she would be late to arrive. And then, when she did, the man who she was to pick up ended up being Tsuruga Ren in disguise for his latest role – which was supposed to be a secret because it was a truly vicious character, one unlike the roles he usually played, and one where if it was known who played the role could negatively impact his approval ratings. Kyoko hadn’t recognized him at first, his clothes, body language, the fact he was smoking – none of these things matched Tsuruga’s personality at all. But she’d recognized the shape of his ear, looked closer, and without meaning to had exclaimed his name, loudly enough for the crowd of people nearby to hear.

Tsuruga had, of course, denied the name, and – true-to-character – had made some scathing comments for the crowd to hear about incompetent people who not only show up late, but who can’t even remember the names of the people they’re meeting. He went on cruelly about her uniform, her lack of character, wasn’t she there to pick him up – let’s get on with it, etc. ad nauseum, while forcibly dragging her to the car. She’d been so shocked, she couldn’t even find words. Once inside the vehicle, he’d said nothing to her.

Arriving at the President’s house, Lory had met them at the car. With a simple “So?” Ren had sighed and said, “You were right.” That’s when the story came out and Kyoko realized exactly what she’d done. Lory had planned ahead for this stunt and had a supposedly live, but in actuality taped interview of Tsuruga Ren airing on television while this event was taking place, in case something like this had happened. But Kyoko knew that everything was all her fault and the media would figure out the deception.

*

Kanae blinked again for good measure.

“You recognized him by his EAR?”

Kyoko nodded. “Yeah. His ear has these two little divits in the top ridge – just about the size of a fingertip, one right under the curl, and the other right here,” she indicated where with her finger. “So, when I saw that, I thought, those long legs, that firm mouth, and deep eyes – even though the character is all different, it HAD to be Tsuruga-sempai.”

Again, Kanae blinked. “Mo! Who pays attention to someone’s EARS?”

“Well, Hizuri-otou-san told me to pay attention to the details that were around me at all times…”

Dear lord. It was so frustrating. It was obvious that the girl was in love with that man. And everyone with eyes could see that Tsuruga had it bad for her, too. It was enough to make you just want to smash their heads together and knock some sense into the two of them. But until they realized it for themselves, there was nothing anyone could do. “So, you were a guinea pig to see if the disguise was good enough?”

Kyoko just nodded, miserably.

“Then you did what you were supposed to do. Why are you so upset?”

Curling into a ball, the redhead replied, “Because Tsuruga-sempai is mad at me!”

Massaging the wrinkle between her eyebrows, Kanae sighed. “Just tell him how you recognized him. I’m sure…” No, she couldn’t say that he’d be happy to know that she’d memorized him down to his ears – that would cause the love-starved girl to freak. Ah! “I’m sure he’s just worried that he’d missed something in his character, that he didn’t have it fully developed or something. So if you tell him it was because of his ear, he’ll probably be relieved.” Sheesh! This girl was so difficult.

Eyes widening in realization, she smiled and the room was filled with sunshine. “Oh! Thank you, Moko!” she quickly embraced her friend and danced toward the door. “I’m going to go tell Tsuruga-san right now!”

She flung open the door to reveal a more normal looking Tsuruga standing there. “Tell me what?” he said, as Kyoko jumped back several steps.

Confronted with her senior, nervousness settled back in, and the girl began to stammer.

‘I can’t watch this,’ Kanae thought. “If you’ll just excuse me, I have somewhere to be. Why don’t you talk in here?” And in a flash, she was out of the room. As she stalked down the hallway, she muttered, “I can’t believe she recognized him by his EAR!” She couldn’t help but wonder if Kyoko would be able to recognize her best friend by her own ear. Somehow, she wouldn’t put it past her.

*

Yashiro, passing the brunette heard the girl’s muttering as she passed and grinned. ‘By his EAR?!’ Oh, this ammunition would last him for MONTHS.