Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Just a Little Love Story... ❯ Train to Shonan ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Fourteen: Train to Shonan Beach
 
“What size do you wear?” - The old man at the sports gear shop asked Akiko. “Umm…” - she mumbled embarrassedly, staring at her bare feet - “I don't know.” While the shop owner nodded his head slowly, Aki argued quickly, looking up at the man - “My mum usually buys my shoes for me.” Aki turned to look at Mitsui, who was sitting nearby the counter, pleading for support with her deep blue eyes. He sighed, as he hooked his arms and asked - “Sir, can you find something comfortable that might fit her?” The shop owner pursed his lips and replied - “Hmm… Well, her feet are slightly large for a girl.” Aki blushed and curled her toes inwards to make her feet look smaller, squeezing her skirt a little, trying to make her embarrassment go away. “Do you mean that it would be hard to get her sneaks' for a lady?” - Mitsui asked, but concluded with a - “Never mind; get a smaller Asics than the one I bought.” While the old man went towards the men's section to the recommended shoes, Aki whispered self-consciously to Mitsui - “Sempai, are you frustrated with me?” “No” - he sighed in reply, patting her shoulder gently - “Just that this shop is not modern enough to have large enough shoes for tall girls like you.” Aki nodded her head. He looked at her and continued - “I've been buying my basketball stuff here all my life, so I just felt a little disappointed.” He sighed another time and told her matter-of-factly - “For now, you'll just have to do with men's sneakers.” It was her time to pat his broad shoulder, as he muttered - “I wish I could get you better ones.” “That's okay” - Aki whispered back - “Sometimes I even wear my dad's shoes.” She gave a giggle and a peace sign, a part of her tongue sticking out as she grinned at him. Mitsui laughed, and she walked around the shop, looking for something to give to him. Knee-bands, she thought, something nice. Finally, she spotted something black with a white and red outer-rim. She thought it was beautiful. Just for him.
 
As they walked out of the shop, Aki wearing her new sneakers and her flip flops in her bag, she shoved the quickly wrapped gift into his hands as she said - “For you, Mitsui sempai.” He looked surprised, as he took it and asked her - “Why did you buy something for me?” She pointed at her sock less sneakers and told him - “Why did you buy these Asics for me?” He scratched his head a little before telling her - “Well… I guess it's because I like you.” Aki smiled back and replied softly - “Same here.” She watched him as he twiddled with the gift and asked him why he still wasn't opening the gift yet. When her stomach growled after the question, Mitsui laughed cheerfully and replied - “I'll open it while we eat something.”
“I didn't get enough time to eat breakfast” - Aki admitted sheepishly, twirling the pipe of her strawberry milkshake in a tall cup. “Busy with make up, eh?” - Mitsui asked teasingly, raising an eyebrow. “Kind of” - She whispered back, playing with the ringlets of her hair falling onto her neck. “Here's your coffee, sir” - a waiter said as he placed a steaming hot cappuccino on Mitsui's side of the table, his eyes wandering over Aki for a moment. At her smile, he ran away quickly and embarrassedly. She continued smiling before turning over to Mitsui and saw him giving her a lazy grin. Her heart skipped a beat with that. Keeping the grin, he told her - “Hmm, Aki-chan; you're starting to have that effect on males eh?” “What effect?” - She asked, puzzled. Then, she followed his head and saw the shy waiter looking at her. She gave a giggle before saying - “Oh. You should know I always do.” They laughed for a while, and then Mitsui teased her with a - “Still confident of yourself, na?” She giggled once more before she replied - “So desu ne?” She twirled with her straw again, and sipped slowly, closing her eyes and relishing her cold milkshake. The waiter came once again, placing a couple of donuts in front of her. Surprised, she turned to look at him, and saw him blush before saying shyly - “It's on me.” He rushed away once more. “Thanks” - she called out to him, giving a little wave - “I love donuts!” This time, he completely disappeared; probably into the kitchen. “You should've told me earlier” - she heard Mitsui say; when she looked at him, he continued - “I would've bought you some donuts instead of the slice of cheese cake.” She smiled softly at him, moving closer, she whispered to him mischievously - “I like cheese cake too. So, I got two favorite snacks of mine!” He nodded, almost understandingly.
They were at the train station. With half of the day passed by. And the train to Shonan still wasn't here yet. Mitsui stared at the blue skies whereas Aki stared at him. “Mitsui sempai” - Aki asked, calling him back to attention and breaking the silence - “How long does it take to go to Shonan beach?” He tapped his feet in a certain pensive way before replying - “About an hour.” “Really?” Silence again. “Have you been there before, sempai?” “I guess.” Silence. “Tanoshi desu ka?” “Hai.” Silence. “Tsukareta desu ka?” “Ii-e.” Silence. “Why are you so quiet?” A laugh. “Oh; just missing someone.” Akiko felt left out. Or didn't feel like letting herself in. Missing someone? She thought: does he have a girlfriend? Then, the train finally arrived.