Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ lost and found ❯ lost and found 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Last time

Curling himself into a ball at the foot of his futon, Hanamichi cried for the first time after all these years. He hasn't cried when his mother left him for another country, he hasn't cried either when his father died of a heart attack few years back. He never cried when so many girls had rejected him for a date in the process crushing his pride, he defintely hasn't cried a drop of tears when he woke from a nightmare of his father dying. And yet here he was breaking down with tears as he remembered his childhood memories. It seems to be quite a few moments later, Hanamichi found himself crying to bed. Tired out from the match with Shoyo earlier on, and with the overwhelming sense of emotional breakdown. Hanamichi slept through the day like a baby, not even bothering to wake for dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Lost and Found- Chapter 5

Time passes by swiftly, soon it was time for basketball practice in the school gym. Hanamichi headed to the locker room and changed into his usual practice attire, his heart hammering against his ribcage as the time towards the meeting with Fujima neared.

"Akagi-Senpai, do you think Sakuragi is all right?" Ayako asked as she frowned at Sakuragi behavior, usually, Sakuragi would have tried something ridiculous by now... but this practice seems to be too quiet. Sakuragi Hanamichi is totally out of character, he didn't even yelled at Rukawa when Rukawa called him a fool. He didn't even reacted to Haruko's appearance, throughout practice, Hanamichi was just doing his basic dribbling, shooting and running exercise. He did not even care to joke around with the Sakuragi Gundan, he just nodded at them and walk off when practice had ended.

On the other hand, Fujima Kenji was already seated down by the window in the cafe waiting for Hanamichi's arrival. He'd basically skipped his last lesson for the day, although he felt bad about it. He decided to just leave it to Hanagata to think up an excuse for him, after all, that is the first time he missed lesson. Somehow, he'd a feeling that irregardless of the outcome, Hanagata is bound to hound him for an explanation tomorrow morning at basketball practice.

Fujima was so deep in thought such that when Hanamichi entered the cafe, he didn't even noticed. It was until the moment Hananmichi sat down in front of him that managed to startled him out of his reverie. Suddenly, he felt words failing him... he didn't dare to speak for fear that he'll ended up ruining the meeting. Hanamichi observed Fujima's reaction, he noticed Fujima tense posture, the hands tightening their hold on the coffee cup. Hanamichi knew that Fujima was in a nervous wreck since the latter had been desperately trying to avoid eye contact with him.

'Who would have thought, Fujima Kenji being nervous...' Hanamichi mused, if he hasn't known earlier he would have just blatantly laugh out loud. However, since he's caught in this special circumstances as well... he had no right to laugh at Fujima since he, himself is not very calm either. Throwing caution to the wind, he decided to break the dreadful silence and tension which hung between them by making the first move. He fumbled with his book bag for a while, digging his hands to the very deep of the bag and pull out an album.

Dumping the album on the table which separate them with a soft 'thud', Fujima Kenji almost dropped his cup of coffee and spilling it in shock. Hanamichi flipped through the album carelessly and stopped at one of the photo, sliding the photo over to Fujima intentionally watching for the latter's reaction. He masked his expression into a solemn one, he watched the latter's reaction carefully as he sipped his coffee slowly. He set his coffee cup down gingerly as Fujima's reaction turns to a frozen one, he peered at Fujima closely.

"That's you, isn't it?" Hanamichi said softly forcing Fujima Kenji to look up at him. They maintain eye contact only for a moment before Fujima shifted his attention to one of the trees outside the window. The response of 'yes' is so softly uttered that Hanamichi almost missed it. Hanamichi let out a breath which he hasn't even realized that he'd been holding in gingerly, and stared blankly at a spot behind Fujima's. Fujima Kenji on the other hand, just continue to stare blankly out of the window.

For a moment, no one spoke until Hanamichi mused out loud "It's been so long, I thought I'd forgotten and yet the moment I see you, everything just keep coming back to me."

"Huh, beg your pardon?" Fujima Kenji snapped his attention back to Hanamichi when he heard the latter spoke.

"Never mind, I'm just musing... I hasn't even noticed I was thinking loud." Hanamichi answered with a shrug before asking "So, how are you?"

"What do you mean ?" Fujima Kenji asked bewildered.

"Well... I was just trying to make conversation, I had no means to just spent the afternoon staring at you." Hanamichi replied nonchanlantly.

"Oh... I see..." Fujima Kenji echoed before lauched into a summary consisting of his life over the past ten years and ending with "As for now, I bet you know that I am studying in Shoyo and being the captain and coach for the basketball team. So how about you?"

"Well... you see..." Hanamichi began his life story, pausing in between to look elsewhere before continuing his tale. Fujima Kenji doesn't blame Hanamichi for doing it, it's not that the latter doesn't have long attention span, it's just that Fujima Kenji happens to know that the topic of Hanamichi's parents is a touchy one. He had been stunned by the fact that Hanamichi was merely a beginner at basketball, with less than 3 months experience and he'd already become one of the starters five in the game. He'd not watched all the games with Hanamichi involved the only match he had watched is the one with Tsukubu and the one between Shohoku and his own team, Shoyo which took place last weekend.

~to be continue~

date completed: 09/03/05