Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ The Girl That Time Loved ❯ Interview ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

With much eagerness Mitsui walked through the gym doors the next morning. He was excited, almost silly, he though, because he clung to the hope that he'll see her again. Leaving his things on the usual chair, he walked over to the annex gym and peeked through the windows of the double doors. Men in black suits replaced the anticipated sight of her, similar to the ones he saw by the black Suburban a few days ago. He squinted as he tried to make out a pair of tennis shoes among the black pants and shoes.

He could see her head shake past the broad shoulders of the men, it seemed like they were trying to convince her. After a moment, the men dispersed, each on e going to a separate location: the ladies' locker room, the men's locker room, the side doors of the annex gym, and one was headed straight for the door from which he was peeking behind. In a panic, he ducked and ran down the corridor away from the double doors, then he straightened up and played it cool as he turned around to make it look like he was just about to approach the doors. They suddenly opened and one of the mend emerged as he put his sunglasses on. Mitsui caught the door open and held it. The black-suited man stopped to arch his brow.

"May I help you?"

Mitsui steeled himself and met the man's veiled eyes.

"I came by to say hello to Reiko-san."

He gave Mitsui the once-over look and turned to address the girl who was braiding her hair.

"Nakamichi-dono, Mitsui-san is here to see you." With that the man turned and left.

// How did he know my name? //

Mitsui saw her look up from her braiding and motioned with her head to come over. As he approached her, he noticed the same ponytail holder she wore the morning he first saw her clamped between her delicate jaws. He observed that she was at the end of her braid, and he slowly reached out to take the holder from her mouth. She looked up with a smile and released it from her bite. Mitsui placed the holder in her hand behind her head. Voicing her thanks, she secured her braid with it.

"Good morning, Mitsui-san." Again, she smiled.

// Don't be a wuss, don't be a wuss… //

"Good morning, Nakamichi-san."

She gently shook her head. "Just Reiko. My last name is too long."
"All right then, Reiko-san."

She motioned for him to sit on the floor with her. He obeyed.

"Would you like to do stretches again?"
"Well, that, too. I actually have a question for you," Mitsui said, not failing to notice the slight look of apprehension in her eyes. "But you don't have to answer me if it makes you uncomfortable."

She somewhat felt relief in his words. "All right."

"How did that gentleman in the suit know my name?"
She nodded in understanding. "Oh, that. Sato-sensei mentioned before that you were the other person who came here at this time. It's their job to know."
The shooting guard nodded slightly. "Oh. Bodyguards?"

Her gaze dropped to the floor. "Yes."
An awkward silence fell upon them. Mitsui didn't know what to say.

"Mitsui-san, I'll understand if you do not wish to continue stretching," she said, almost in a whisper. She sounded dejected it distressed Mitsui.

"What makes you think that?" he playfully asked, hoping to lighten her mood.

A bit surprised, she looked at him. "You're not uncomfortable with being watched?"
"Should I be?"

She looked down the wooden floor again, forming the words carefully in her head. "Well, I don't know. I thought it would be a great source of paranoia for anyone."

"It'll be no different from playing basketball with a crowd watching."

She wasn't prepared for his answer. It's happened to her time and again. Whenever people got to know her, they were intimidated by her bodyguards' watchful eyes into breaking all contact and communication. Meeting new people became constant disappointments for her; like before she was forced to accept the outcomes of these situations and somehow still found a way to smile. It may not be all genuine, but she brought herself to smile regardless.

"So am I still welcome?" Mitsui sheepishly asked.

She brought her gaze back to him, his chocolate-colored eyes intense and expectant. Her own eyes, still full of wonder, slowly crinkled with her smile as she nodded.

He inched closer to her and both of them stretched their legs out. As he listened to her soothing voice count off, he then realized why she always practiced alone: it was a decision other made for her. Why? He frowned. The tone of her voice earlier sounded so despondent, as if she expected him to up and leave. It must be lonely to play such a team-oriented sport all alone. He imagined that ahead of him was a long line of admirers just like him, each one taking a good look and then walking away after they saw the hawks in suits. He didn't want to be like that.

He saw her glance his way as she sat folded over her legs and she smiled, and this time she looked astonishingly different. Her eyes were of a different color, ones that matched a calm ocean, blue and intense. It made him gape at her.

Nearing the last count of their set, Mitsui interrupted her.

"Reiko-san?"

"Yes?"

"Can I be honest with you?"

She giggled softly. "You mean you haven't been honest before?"
"No, I mean, yes, I've been honest, but… I just…" he trailed off as he watched her turn to lay on her stomach, stretching her abs slowly until she looked like an exponential curve on one of Mitsui's homework questions.

"Just?"
Slightly shaking his head to snap himself out of his daze, he continued. "I have a lot of questions for you."
She let herself down to relax on the floor, her head pillowed by her arms and turned to Mitsui.

"I know."

// My God, she's stunning… //

Uneasily he tried to swallow, but his cottonmouth wouldn't let him. The way the halogen lights shone on the floor and reflected into her eyes made her appear somewhat ethereal, for never had he seen a radical change in one's eye color before.

"Do you mind if I asked?"

"Do the same conditions apply as before?"
"Yes, only if you're comfortable with it."

She sat up to an Indian sitting position.

"All right. First question."

Mitsui looked up the gym ceiling and scratched his head, making Reiko's lips bend into a soft smile as the image of a little boy crossed her mind.

"Okay. Where do you attend school?"
"I don't."

"Oh." He was a little surprised. "So I guess you've graduated already?"
She unknowingly grinned at the question. "Yes, I'd say that's pretty accurate."
"So that would make you, what… twenty-two years old."
She laughed. "Close. Twenty."
Impressed, Mitsui nodded his head. "Wow, you must be really smart to finish college so soon."
She fiddled with her shoelaces. "I guess." She caught him staring at her. "Next question."
"Right. Where did you attend college?"
"In America."
"Did you learn how to play volleyball there?"

"Yes."

Like a child she let her feet sway to the left and right as she stretched her legs and supported herself with her arms.

"You know, you're really good. Will you ever dry Sato-sensei's tears and practice with his team?"

She stopped moving her feet and squinted her blue eyes playfully. "He sent you here to deal with me, didn't he?"
Mitsui shook his head laughing. "No, I'm here on my own accord." She joined in his laughter. She then stood up.

"Mitsui-san, I do not wish to distract you from your morning practice with this interview. Do you not want to practice?"

Again, her manners took him aback. He got to his feet and stood next to her. He towered her by about twelve centimeters, yet she was still quite tall for a Japanese girl.

"At the moment, no. You're more interesting."
He surprised her again for the second time that morning. She saw his face redden at his words; he likely surprised himself also. He looked at the gym clock.

"I guess I shouldn't take up more of your time, Reiko-san."

"You're not. Do you have anymore questions for me?"

He sighed. "Do I ever."

She arched her brow. He scratched his head and looked away.

"My next question is about -"
"Wait, wait." She looked to the side and strained to listen. "Do you hear that?"
Mitsui leaned towards her and listened for a few seconds with her. "I don't hear anything, Reiko-san," he whispered.

She leaned towards his ear. He could feel the heat within his skin rise as her breath descended gently upon him and her soft lips grazed his ear inadvertently as she spoke. His breath caught.

"It's my tummy."

It was only a brief moment before she withdrew, taking her warmth with her. He found himself able to breathe again. He stood there, unable to move, his gaze magnetized to the blue glints in her bright eyes.

"Are you hungry?" he stuttered.

"Usually not at this time, I'm usually doing my hitting drills. But yes, I'm quite famished."
His face brightened. "Wanna eat?"
She nodded eagerly. "But what's open at this time around here?"
"Well, if you go left onto the main street, there's a dim sum restaurant, but I doubt they're open now. If you go right, there's a bakery just past the school. They've been open since five."

"I guess we'd better get going then." She walked to her things and packed up.
"Does this mean I'm invited?"

"Of course, Mitsui-san. Who else will show me the way?"
His ears perked up at the request. He never expected for the morning to be so fortuitous. He tried to keep his cool as she smiled at him. Deep inside, he was overjoyed.

"Okay, let me get my things and we'll be on our way." He hurried to the exit, almost bounding out of the gym and busted through the double doors. He saw her outside where she stood with her men in black. She was right: they were intimidating. They were about the same height as he, and they all looked like something out of a James Bond movie. They eyed him closely as he came down the steps to the parked Suburban.

"Is the bakery within walking distance from the school?" she asked.

"It's pretty close." He looked at the men behind her and whispered, "Are you sure it's okay for you to walk to the bakery?"
"Yes, I just told them," she whispered back. "Two will drive the vehicle there, the other two will walk with us. Would you be comfortable with that?"

He nodded and led the way, his esteemed stretch partner by his side with the two men in tow. Most of the small businesses on the avenue were still closed, except for a magazine stand that was setting up for another business day. Mitsui pointed out the shops that the students most often frequented: the bookstore by the magazine stand, the arcades by the stoplight, and the coffee shop next to the bakery. The men in the Suburban were already waiting for them. They stayed in the vehicle while the others stayed at the entrance of the bakery.

"Good morning, Mitsui-kun," greeted an old man behind the pastry counter. "You're early today. Who's your lady friend?"
"Oh, this is Nakamichi-san."

She bowed toward the baker. "It's a pleasure to meet you, sir."
The old man cackled in laughter. "Ah, such a pretty girl! You're making this old goat blush! Just call me Jii-chan, dear. So, what can I get for you?"
She scanned the menu overhead. "May I have a ham and cheese kolache, please?"

"Just one?"
She grinned. "Better make that two."

Mitsui ordered his breakfast, and he heard Reiko ask for several more kolaches in separate paper bags. She told Mitsui to find seats for them while she handed out the bags to the gentlemen by the door and in the Suburban. He noted their smiling faces and grateful nods as she beamed back at them. She came back into the bakery and took a seat next to Mitsui.

"That was really nice of you, Reiko-san."

"They might not look like it, but they're nice, too."

Mitsui found it a little difficult to see past their icy stares and rigid faces. So far, she's been the only one able to soften their stony appearance. He asked her other questions he thought she might be comfortable with, like when she came to town, where she lived before, if she liked the Kanagawa district. She answered him softly and politely, giving away her well-bred background. He began to feel ridiculous listening to her voice; the words she uttered were magically melodious.

"Do you have any questions for me, Reiko-san?"

She paused to think after nibbling on a piece of bread. "For today, only one."
"Fire away."

"Why do you want to be my friend?"
"That's simple. Because you're nice." After finishing his last kolache he added, "And, because after I saw you play with Sato-sensei, I wanted to start a fan club."
She was tickled by the idea and a giggle bubbled from her throat. He then recounted his practice and game days in high school where there would be an inexhaustible cheering section for another player on the team. He was elated, almost with a sense of pride, that he could make her laugh and smile the way she was then. His gaze frequented her eyes, a habit he refused to break. He figured that if he were a moth to her eyes of blue flame, it mattered not if he looked pathetic or dazed. It would be a glimpse of heaven either way.

"How do you do that?"
"Do what?" she asked as her laughter subsided.

"Your eyes. How do they change colors from gray to blue like that?"
She paused thoughtfully as she gazed out the window. "My mother once said it was a way to tell if I was happy or not. How they change is something I can't explain."

"So they're blue when you're happy. And when you're sad?"
She shrugged. "I don't know. I never really look in the mirror when I'm sad."

"In all honesty, your eyes are really amazing."

She glanced down and mumbled her thanks, her face demure and cheeks slightly flushed.

"And for that matter, I'd better do my best to keep your eyes sparkling blue."
Her eyes shot at him to find his face grinning back at her. He wondered by she looked astonished at his words; perhaps she doubted his sincerity. Slowly her fair visage eased into a coy smile.

Time passed quickly as they talked of different times and of foreign places. She glanced at her watch.

"You don't have any morning classes, do you?"

"Yes, why?"

"It's fifteen till ten o'clock."
"It's only physics class."

"Oh, then it must be an easy class for you."

"Yeah, an easy class to get lost in."
She laughed. "Are you lost now?"
"Unfortunately so."
"Do you need directions?" She was answered with a nod. "Show me where you are now."

Mitsui found himself huddled with Reiko over his textbook and homework for a good number of hours. She pointed out his mistakes and solved problems with him, often explaining why it is what they calculated was right. She noticed he was quick to learn from his mistakes that were mainly due to carelessness. A plus sign here, a square root there. He was appalled at the depth of her knowledge and the ease of her explanations. He learned everything he needed to know for his next exam in one sitting from a brilliant, beautiful girl. How can this be easy? He gazed at his finished homework, the eraser shavings on the table and finally at the blue glints of his tutor's eyes. And what a wonderful tutor she was.

"Reiko-san, pinch me, I think I'm dreaming," he mumbled.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because… I'm sitting here in a bakery with my homework finished and perfect before my eyes and I have you, the goddess of physics, to thank."

"You already knew it, Mitsui-san. Your homework just needed a little polishing." She looked at her watch again and it didn't go unnoticed.

"Reiko-san, I'm sorry for taking up your time like this."

Gently she shook her head. "No, it's not that. I'm glad to help you by all means. I just don't want to keep you from you classes."

"Believe me, you have taught me more in two hours than my professors have in a semester. And besides, all my classes for the day ended an hour ago, so I have all sorts of time."

She leaned back in her seat. "What do you do with all this free time?"

Mitsui hesitated to answer. "Well, promise not to laugh?"
"That depends," she answered, a grin creeping across her face. "But I'll try my best not to."

"Okay, here it goes. I do puppet shows for a day care center." Mitsui closed his eyes and readied his ears for the onslaught of laughs he expected from her. Hearing none, he cracked one eye open and saw her smiling expectantly at him.

"That's really interesting! May I see you perform?"

Not quite the reaction he imagined, he replied, "I suppose it's okay, but you can only laugh when the children laugh, okay?"
"And if I don't?"
"They'll shush you till they're blue."
Both of them laughed out loud, forcing the old baker behind the pastry counter to look up from his newspaper. He smiled. The laughter reminded him of younger times, and seeing the young pair sitting before him brought back memories of afternoon picnics at the park and his wife's fingers combing through his hair. // Ah, to be young again... // Looking back at his newspaper, he turned the page and decided that he'd take his wife out for dinner.