Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ The Girl That Time Loved ❯ Walk After A Sunday Morning ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A little note: I would like to thank and apologize at the same time to my readers who have waited a while for this installment. It might be a little long and perhaps a little slow, but I hope you understand a little bit more about Reiko. Comments and constructive criticisms are appreciated, and thank you very much for reviewing this humble piece. I hope you enjoy.

Iron kitty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He wasn't able to sleep much last night; he tossed and turned in his bed, kicked the covers and even placed his pillow over his head. Always when he closed his eyes, he saw in his mind's Reiko's face, fair and beautiful, but her eyes were of the palest gray and tears spilled from their corners. He called to her and she was unmoving, eyes glistening with tears. Repeatedly he wiped them away, whispering words of comfort but to no avail. He embraced her and she slowly disappeared, and he would wake up calling out her name.

Five-thirty came at last, and he got up in a groggy state. He sleepily made his way to the bathroom and got ready for the day. Minutes later he was on the street, still half-asleep and rubbing his eyes.

Arriving at the gym, he pulled on the door handles of the main gym but they wouldn't budge. Sato-sensei wasn't there yet. He set his book and gym bags down and sank against the wall.

// Definitely no more coffee after dinner. //

She came up the steps with her men in black and the two walking ahead of her stopped. Pausing to look at them, she followed her gaze and saw her stretch partner fast asleep, his head pillowed by his gym bag. She smiled at the sight; his sleeping face was boyish and peaceful.

Coach Sato came around the corner and was a little surprised to find the shooting guard passed out on the floor. He was usually awake and alert every morning. He waved at Reiko and pointed at Mitsui. She covered her mouth to suppress a laugh, and the coach walked over Mitsui's lone legs to unlock the annex gym for her. She whispered her morning greeting as she bowed, the bodyguards leaving to take their usual places around the gym. Before entering she paused to look at the sleeping shooting guard again, then proceeded inside.

She set her things down and sat on the bench to braid her hair. She sighed when she ran her fingers through it, it was becoming so long that braiding it was becoming time-consuming. Her fingers were very nimble, nonetheless, and when she finished she pawed around her gym bag for a ponytail holder. The sudden opening of the double doors startled her, and she let go of the end of the braid, the silky locks slipping from their twisted form.

Mitsui sprinted towards her and stopped abruptly when he got to the bench. Catching his breath, he flashed her a sleepy grin as he sat beside her.

"Good morning, Mitsui-san."
"Good morning. Sorry I'm late, I fell asleep waiting for Sato-sensei."
"I know, I saw. Perhaps I shouldn't have kept you so late last night."

"Oh no, I had a great time. I think I drank too much coffee."
They spread out on the floor, stretching their legs and she counting off. He felt rusty, and probably could use another four hours of sleep. He looked at her folded body; her voice was steady and soothing as before. She was out late just as he, though she didn't look tired at all. Flipping over, they extended their torsos and stretched their abdominal muscles out.

"How many hours of sleep did you get, Reiko-san?"

Keeping herself steady, she replied, "About five. Why?"

"That's amazing. You don't even look or sound tired."

Extending her head and looking at the ceiling, she muttered softly, "I'm tired in more ways than one, Mitsui-san."

Sitting and stretching their arms this time, he laughed. "I guess your cheerfulness doesn't let you show it."

Finishing the last set, she got to her feet, offered her hand and pulled him up.

"Thanks." He stood and gazed at her blue eyes a while, recalling the flood of tears he saw in his dreams last night. "Reiko-san, I'm sure you get a lot of rude guys like me staring at you. You met three more last night."

She laughed and shrugged. "I always thought it was because of my silent entourage of men."

"They can't be silent all the time. Don't they talk?"

"Not when I'm around."

"I don't think they're too crazy about guarding me. It must be incredibly boring for them."

"Well, ask them to play with you."

She tilted her head at him. "Hm, I haven't thought of that yet. Do you think they'd want to?"

"Who would say no to you? I wouldn't."

She walked over to the volleyball rack and took a ball. "You trust me that much?" Her eyes followed him as he took a ball from the rack and started dribbling.

"Well, for starters," he said as he dribbled the ball between his legs, "you're not exactly the dangerous type. And I trust you because I want to earn your trust in return."

She smiled at his statement.

"You know, you're the first person who hasn't asked me why four men follow me all the time."

The truth was he had wanted to know the reason, but her reaction before when he asked if they were her bodyguards pained her, like she was reluctantly guarding territory that she wasn't ready for him to explore. His curiosity was often quelled with one look at her shining blue eyes, reminding him of his promise to keep them blue if he could help it. The details of her situation can come later, she was there with him and he needed nothing more. She can tell him when she is ready.

"I just assumed you are someone important."
"I don't feel important at all."

"You are to them. And that's why they're going to say yes." Mitsui met her doubting eyes with an encouraging smile. "Well, I'll leave you to practice now. Oh, would you like to have breakfast again later?"

"Won't you miss your classes?"

"You're a much more stimulating lecturer?"
She giggled. "Do you need more help with physics?"

"Among other things, actually. If you help me, I would ever be so grateful."

"Will you be working at the day care center today?"

"Yes."

"We can pretend that your tutorial today is my ticket to see your puppet show." She twirled the volleyball on her slender finger. "How does that sound?"

Mitsui could've made two hundred consecutive three-pointers and it wouldn't come close to how she made him feel at that moment. Just like yesterday, one opportunity after another coupled with pure luck allowed him to spend more time with her. He was so thrilled he forgot to think.

"Mitsui-san?"
He snapped out of it, laughing as he racked the ball back onto the holder. "I'm sorry, it's just you really put me in a good mood every time

I see you. That sounds great to me. See you in an hour then?"

She nodded. "See you then."

He left the annex gym excited, feeling like he won a tournament. Inside the main gym he exploded with vigor as he dribbled against

imaginary opponents and shot three-pointers from every point of the three-point arc.
// Amazing, this drug called Reiko… //

The hour passed and Mitsui hurried to the showers and cleaned up. Putting away his belongings in his bag, he took another look at the mirror before he stepped outside. When he turned the corner to the annex gym, one of the double doors was already open. He peered inside and saw Coach Sato sitting on the bench, talking to Reiko as she hit the balls that ejected from the setting machine. The shooting guard walked to the bench and sat beside the volleyball coach.

"Hey, Sato-sensei. What's going on?"
"Oh, nothing. The usual begging and groveling."

He laughed. "I have to hand it to you, you're quite persistent."

The last ball ejected from the machine and Reiko jumped to meet the ball and slammed it down the line. She stared at the point where the ball hit, her chest rising and falling at a rapid pace. Wiping the sweat off her forehead, she looked back at the bench where coach Sato sat and found Mitsui sitting beside him. She whipped her head at the gym clock and cringed at the time. She ran to the bench.

"My apologies, Mitsui-san. I lost track of the time." She bowed to Coach Sato and thanked him for the pointers he gave her. She quickly gathered her things and bolted to the locker room.

Coach Sato gave the shooting guard a proud grin. "Mitsui, you are quite the Casanova."
"Who?"

"Never mind. You know, I've always thought she was the recluse type. I should've figured you'd coax her out of her shell.

"Nah, she did that on her own."

"You guys have a date?"

"No, just breakfast," he replied, cheeks warm at the thought.

"Hey, that's how I met my wife."

Mitsui's face reddened. "It's only breakfast!"

The volleyball coach rolled his eyes. "Well, I don't blame you. You're pretty popular around here and you're not even on the basketball team yet."

"I don't know anything about that."
"Speaking of basketball, you think you're going to play soon?"
"It's been on my mind lately."

""That's a good thing. The basketball coach has been asking me to convince you of joining the team ever since he found out we're buddies."

"And what did you say?"

"I told him I'd try if I have spare time. I've already got my hands full trying to convince your girlfriend to join mine."

"She's not my girlfriend, Sato-sensei," he squeaked, looking away from the coach's teasing glare. It's true that she wasn't, but the thought had been there and remained an unspoken wish.

The coach sighed and waved him off. "You protest too much."

Both their heads turned at the sound of the locker room door open. She was preoccupied with the zipper of her gym bag, it wouldn't close for some reason. She wore a blue scoop neck shirt with khaki shorts and tennis shoes, and her silky hair was free from the braid. She tucked a stray lock that got in the way of her sight behind her ear and finally got the zipper to close. She approached the bench with her lips bent into a soft smile.

// Oh, wow… //

"Mitsui," the coach whispered as he nudged the shooting guard in the ribs, "I think you two make a great couple."

// I wish. // He entertained the suggestion as he carefully watched her eyes shine brighter with each smile she gave the volleyball coach as she once again politely declined the offer to join the volleyball team.

Coach Sato merely shrugged and said goodbye before leaving the gym, the two watching as he disappeared through the double doors.

"You've become his morning habit, Reiko-san."

She let out a sigh and replied, "It wouldn't be convenient for anyone if I joined."

"How's that?"

"My men would attract too much attention."
"Are you sure it wouldn't be you?"
She blushed and gazed at the wooden floor. "Mitsui-san, I've already agreed to help you with your lessons. There is no need for flattery."

"Well, then," he said as he grabbed his gym bag. "I'd better get you to the bakery before you change your mind."

They walked through the doors and were met by two of the guards. She greeted them and asked if they could go to the same bakery as before. One of the men talked through a two-way radio and they walked down the steps to the waiting black Suburban. This time they drove to the bakery, the driver quick to park the vehicle in front of the brick establishment. Two of the men remained inside the vehicle, and the other two stood outside the entrance. Before stepping inside she asked if they wanted anything, and they politely said no.

The old baker was happy to see them, his face crinkled into a grin as he placed freshly baked good in the display case. She asked for a box of kolaches and a pot of coffee, and the old man knew to take them out to the men in suits waiting outside as he'd seen her do yesterday. They were his first customers of the day. He told them to sit at a table and asked what they wanted. Moments later he brought a tray of kolaches and two covered mugs.

"I want you younguns to try this drink. My wife makes it for the grandkids, she left a bunch of ingredients here so I decided to make it."
"What is it?" Mitsui asked.

"She calls it `Sunday Morning.' Go on, taste it."
They uncovered the mugs and took a sip. Reiko's eyes widened and so did Mitsui's, the warm delicious liquid coating their throats with rich chocolate and raspberry goodness.

"How is it?" the coarse voice of the old man asked.

"This tastes like heaven, Jii-chan!" heralded Reiko. She looked to Mitsui for confirmation but he was too busy chugging the drink in big gulps.

Pleased, the old man nodded. "I guess all grandkids like that drink."
"How old are you grandchildren, Jii-chan?"
"Well, how old are you?"
"Twenty."
"Our youngest is nineteen, the eldest is twenty-two. So they're right around your age."
Mitsui licked his lips after swallowing every drop. "Jii-chan, that was amazingly good. Can I have another one?"
"Only if you're good!" He winked at Reiko when he took his mug. He whispered into her ear, "I tell my grandkids that, too." She was giggling when he left.

"You must remind him of his grandchildren." Mitsui took his textbook and a pencil out of his bag. "That old man's such a charmer."
He opened the book to the assigned page of problems. She peered into it, scanning the problems and looking over the formulas. He moved his chair closer so she wouldn't have to lean over. He took a piece of paper from a binder and showed it to her, numbers strewn across the page. She took his pencil and followed the string of equations with its tip, all the while Mitsui gazed contentedly at the lines of her face. He wondered what daily ritual she did to make her skin look so soft and smooth. He nearly laughed at the memory of seeing his mother's face covered with mud-colored mask (exfoliant, she said) and cucumbers on her closed eyes. He watched as his little sister spread the mud mask all over her face and took the cucumbers from his mother's eyes to place them on hers.

A man came in the bakery with two little children holding his hands. The little boy observed the occupants of the bakery and squealed in delight as he ran towards Mitsui's table.

"Mitchy-niichan, Mitchy-niichan!"

Instantly his little sister saw Mitsui and let go of her father's hand and skipped to her brother's side.

"Good morning, Mitchy-niichan!"

The shooting guard's face softened into a grin and pat the children each on their heads.

"Nonoko-chan, Sou-kun, how are you this fine morning?" he asked, his voice playful.

"Fine!" they cheered. Mitsui waved to their father.

"Let me introduce you to someone very nice. This is Nakamichi Reiko, and she's been kind enough to help me with my homework."
Both children bowed towards her, the little girl peeking through her bangs at Reiko's blue eyes.

"Reiko-neechan's eyes are so pretty," she whispered loudly to her brother.

The little boy climbed onto the Mitsui's lap and balanced himself against Reiko's shoulder. She smiled at the child's studying gaze.

"Yeah, and she smells nice, too," he whispered back.

Mitsui broke out in laughter, the children tilting their heads in wonder at their laughing teacher and their blushing new acquaintance.

"Nonoko, Sousuke, time to go," their father called. They were quick to run to their father's sides and waved happily at their teacher and his pretty companion.

"See you at the show, Mitchy-niichan!" the little girl cheered at the shooting guard. He gave her a wide grin. The children laughed as their father led them across the street.

He leaned closer to Reiko and whispered. "Hey, I've just recruited two more to your fan club."

"You flatter much, Mitsui-san."
She twirled the pencil between her index and middle fingers. She recalled the happy faces of the kids and thought of the carefree days of her innocent childhood. She was full of curiosity and mischief, and her questions were endless. She got into every thing. Her parents used those traits to fill her with knowledge beyond what most kindergartners learned in school. She learned Latin at six and the Romance languages by age eight. A trip to San Francisco to see the Golden Gate Bridge became a lesson in mathematics of limits. She was on such an accelerated rate of understanding concepts that her parents had a difficult time finding teachers to instruct her on something she didn't already know. Full of `why' questions, the Nakamichis finally arranged for several old professors from distinguished universities to take over her instruction. Every day was fulfilling; she learned everything she needed and wanted to know inside and outside the classroom and her sage teachers taught her through examples in daily living, be it the chemistry of chocolate ice cream, the science of thunderstorms, or the immune cascade that occurred when her father's allergies erupted. She was a natural when it came to learning an instrument or a sport, though piano and volleyball remained her favorites. She took joy in learning anything she was introduced to, and her teachers delighted in her enthusiasm. Her teachers missed having her as a student. She missed the innocence of her youth.

She heard a soft sigh escape Mitsui's lips and came to the realization that she was being watched. It was not a surprise to her; she has been watched over most of her life. She quickly looked back at his homework.

"Mitsui-san, your homework is all correct, but I can show you a way to shorten this proof."
She scribbled a few things down, and Mitsui was almost envious of her neat handwriting, his chicken scratch on the page looked like that of a five-year-old. The old baker came by and gave him a fresh cup of his wife's Sunday Morning, and the shooting guard muttered his gratitude. A few more customers came by and picked up kolaches by the dozens, and students from the university trickled into the bakery, sitting by the windows and drinking their coffee.

He gazed at what she wrote, flipped the textbook pages, looked again at Reiko's answer, and then gaped at her in awe. She used a proof they were not supposed to learn until next semester. She returned his gaze as she took a sip from her mug, her azure eyes inquiring.

"You are just awesome, I don't know what else to say."

Just then a towering figure loomed over them. It was Akagi, his backpack slung over his left shoulder and an apple in his hand.

"Hello, Nakamichi-san, Mitsui."

She greeted him with a quick bow. "Just Reiko, Akagi-san."

"Yo, Akagi. Take a seat and prepare to be blown away." He handed him his homework with a proud grin.

The tall center took a seat directly in front of the two, perusing the document while taking a bite of his apple. His eyes grew wider and wider as he read down the page.

"Mitsui, this isn't due till the end of this week. We haven't learned half of this yet. How'd you do this?"

The shooting guard leaned back in his chair and motioned his head towards Reiko. "Not only is she every volleyball coach's dream, she is also a mathematical genius. She was kind enough to offer me her help."
"More like she felt sorry for your butt and let you bully her into helping you," Akagi snorted, making Reiko laugh quietly in her seat.

"Hey, we made a barter, right, Reiko-san?"
She nodded. "I'm afraid he's right, Akagi-san."

"See? She's afraid!" Akagi gave her a joking smile.

"I will be watching his puppet show today at the day care in return," she explained.

The three talked a while, and Akagi told them about the college basketball team's schedule. Akagi was on the team, and he was recounting the beating they just received from last week's game. He can't wait for a rematch, and he mentioned his wish for better shooters on the team. Mitsui looked down on the table.

"Mitsui, I'm not telling you this because the coach told me to do so. I'm telling you this because I'm frustrated that our team can't make a basket under pressure. We're not a clutch team." Akagi rested his head in his palm. "I just wish you had a clone so we can win over that stupid team. Three-pointers would be a great asset."
The shooting guard retrieved his homework and placed it in his folder. Reiko noticed how quiet he had been ever since Akagi brought up basketball. Her head turned to him as he spoke.

"I've been thinking about it lately, Akagi. I think I've been doing all right. I just don't want my mother worrying so much, but I think I've waited enough."
"Hey man, I don't want you to rush into anything, and I certainly don't want you to feel pressure from me."
"I know, and I appreciate that." He gave the center a nod.

Mitsui asked him if he wanted anything to eat, but Akagi politely refused, mentioning that he had another class in twenty minutes. He took his leave and told Reiko not to be a stranger. They followed him with their eyes through the entrance, the men in suits eyeing Akagi cautiously.

"What time is the puppet show, Mitsui-san?"

Mitsui took a long sip of his Sunday Morning. "After lunch. Is there some place you need to go?"

"Nowhere particular." A faint smile came to her lips as she noticed the half milk mustache clinging to his upper lip. She hesitated for a moment, then took her napkin and slowly reached out to wipe it off Mitsui's entranced face. Her touch was gentle and it made the shooting guard's face flush. His eyes remained on her bright ones as she withdrew her hand. His heart beat faster, and he suddenly noticed how close he was to her. He gulped.

"Th-thanks," he stuttered.

He was answered with a smile and she averted her eyes to look outside the window. He understood that she did it without saying anything so as not to embarrass him. He sat in his seat and thought of how considerate she was of other people, and he wondered if she knew how he felt with every minute she spent with him.

"Like a hundred million yen," he unconsciously whispered.

She turned to him. "I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said."
"Huh? Oh, nothing. I guess I'm just babbling."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They spent the next few hours before lunch walking around town. Since it wasn't too often for people to see men in suits with sunglasses escorting two people, heads turned their way as they strolled down the sidewalk. They passed by the local athletic clothing store where Mitsui bought all his basketball gear. She stopped and tugged lightly on the shooting guard's sleeve. She stood tiptoed to whisper into Mitsui's ear.

"May we go into this store? I've got an idea."
Mitsui eagerly nodded, and as he reached for the door handles, one of the men beat him to it. A little bothered at the stolen act of chivalry, he ushered Reiko in first and followed behind her with the rest of the guards. She asked Mitsui if he would kindly give her a few moments with them alone, and with a nod he walked over to the basketball section of the store. Pretending to look over the jerseys hanging on the rack, he cast a glance at the four men surrounding his stretch partner. He knew what this was about, though he hadn't a clue of what she intended to do. Seconds later the men were looking at each other in quiet laughter, Reiko smiling and bowing her head towards them. She looked past their broad shoulders and caught Mitsui eyeing them with boyish curiosity. The men walked over to the shoe section and asked the clerk for help. She watched them with a smile as she walked towards the shooting guard.

"Thank you."

"For what?" he asked.

"For your advice earlier this morning. They agreed to play with me."
He grinned smugly. "I told you they'd say yes."
She sat on the bench behind her and laughed. "It seems you know a lot more about people's reactions than I do."
He took the seat beside her. "No, I think you know just as much as I do. You're just a little timid with asking." And with that he gave her a gentle nudge on her shoulder. Her eyes flashed blue as she smiled from ear to ear.

"So what are they doing now?"
"They're shopping. I didn't think they packed clothes for this situation. It would be rather difficult to play in a dress shirt and tie."
He let a laugh loose. "I'm sure they'd do it anyway if you asked them."

She stood and looked at the blue LA Lakers jersey hanging on the wall. Reaching up to feel the fabric between her fingers, smoothing it over.

"Do you like it?"

"I like the color."
"I know, it matches your eyes."

She looked away and caught sight of a mirror hanging on the wall beside the rack. Her eyes were the bluest she's ever seen them they look like they've been painted in. A small grin crept across her lips, and she couldn't remember the last time she was so at ease. As she glanced back at Mitsui, she silently thanked him in her thoughts.

They walked over to the shoe section and Mitsui was surprised. The guards looked very different in casual athletic clothes, and they could've passed for professional players with their height and build. They were trying on some volleyball shoes and they looked like they were having fun. The clerk entered the section with a stack of shoeboxes in his arms. Mitsui stepped in to help out, he felt sorry for his friend. They uncovered all the boxes and laced them up. Reiko followed suit.

The bodyguard closest to her leaned towards her. "Nakamichi-dono, you don't have to do this. We can lace it up ourselves."

She waved him off. "I'm not doing anything anyway, and it'll be faster." She gave the shoe a good look. "I think these would look very nice on you."

His face suddenly interested, his gaze fell on the same shoe. "You think so?" he whispered.

She nodded. "Here, try that on." She laced the other shoe and handed it to him. He gladly took it, fit his foot into it and tied the laces. He stood and walked around, testing the comfort of the shoe. His companions did the same, checking the chose out in front of the mirror.

Reiko and Mitsui sat back on the bench opposite the ones they bodyguards sat on and observed the men.

"They look like kids in a candy store," he whispered.

"This is the first time I've seen them enjoy themselves." Her face lit as another idea came to mind.

The men humbly asked for her opinion on their attire and she gave them a good look from head to toe. She gave them her approval, complimenting them on their choices. She asked them to get several more shirts and shorts along with extra pairs of running shoes. Mitsui's friend the clerk walked back and forth to the stockroom, always with a stack of shoeboxes in his arms.

The shooting guard's eyes stayed on his stretch partner who now stood in the sunlight pouring into the shop window. Her hair was hung past her toned shoulders and its sheen reflected the bright rays of the sun. Her gaze rested upon the people passing through the street. He could see her reflection clearly on the glass, her hands clasped behind her. She was statuesque; the lines of her face were soft. Fragile. The vision of gray eyes spilling tears went against what he saw plainly in her face, the vibrant hue of blue alive in her eyes. What he had seen and experienced with her was only the very tip of her being; he wanted to know what it was that made her eyes permeate gray on those few occasions he had seen her look away. It was almost as if she wanted to hide them from him, her storm-filled eyes and all the emotions behind them.

He approached and stood beside her, looking at a string of school children walking single file following their teacher. He felt awkward at the moment, and he fought to silence the questions that swam through his head.

"Nakamichi-dono, we are ready," one of the men said.

She turned to Mitsui and smiled at him before heading to the counter. Greeting the clerk, she took her wallet and apid for the purchases. After being handed the receipt, she leaned on the counter and mumbled some words in the clerk's ear. The guy nodded. He offered his hand and she shook it, the clerk's other hand reaching for the back of his head. He was blushing. Mitsui grinned, finding his friend in the same situation as he had been many times before. It's funny how every man she meets has the same reaction towards her.

Stepping out of the shop, she called on the bodyguards' attention.

"Gentlemen, I know I haven't formally introduced you to Mitsui-san even though you are already familiar with him. So, everyone, this is my friend, Mitsui-san."
The men gave the shooting guard a curt bow, and then each one extended a hand to him which he shook firmly.

"Fuji."
"Sakai."
"Jackson."
"Miller."
"It's good to meet you all. Again." He heard them smirk as he let out a smile. He didn't expect the last two to have American last names.

"Well, I'm glad you're all reacquainted now. Mitsui-san, how much longer do we have before curtains-up for the puppet show?"
He looked at his wristwatch. "We have a little over three hours."
Glancing down, she followed the outline of the guards' shadows with her eyes on the pavement. The sun made it a little warm to be walking around in suits.

"Do you mind accompanying me into town, Mitsui-san?" she asked softly.

"No, not at all."

She asked the tallest bodyguard Jackson if she could go to another clothing store. After nodding, he and Sakai left to fetch the vehicle. She found shade under a tree in front of the sports shop and the men and Mitsui followed her. He saw a pattern in the guards' formation: they always made sure she was in between two guards, and if the other two were present, she would be in the center of a quadrangle. They were quite protective of her, and yet seemed to treat her with utmost respect. There was a line between the guards and Reiko that separated them in silence, a line that she was making an effort to cross. He heard the black vehicle pull up by the curb and they all got in and rode to the shopping district of Kanagawa.

She and her stretch partner were dropped off in front of a clothing store along with Fuji and Miller. The other two guards drove around to find parking.

"They'll meet us inside, Nakamichi-dono."
All four walked in silence and entered a Polo store. Miller mumbled something in Reiko's ear and both guards left to stand at the entrance of the store. As soon as they were out of earshot, Reiko took a step back and looked around her, Mitsui studying her movements. Her eyed were fixed on a metallic blue tie on the tie rack.

"I've been thinking about it for a while now, but I thought the men would hate the idea."
"And that is?"
"Perhaps some other attire would make them more comfortable around me."
"I thought they were already comfortable around you."
She took a seat on the couch by the wall and sighed. "It's hard to be comfortable around me after all they've been through."
Mitsui stood close to her and listened.

"I've known Mr. Jackson and Sakai-san since I was ten. They worked for my family. Mr. Miller and Fuji-san's fathers also worked for my father. I didn't really need bodyguards back then, my teachers served as my guardians and looked after me."

"Teachers?"
She looked up at him. "I was schooled a little differently."
He sat next to her and she continued.

"One day they boarded a plane for New York that never arrived there. A sudden failure in one of the engines caused the plane to crash off the city's coast. Only twenty-four people survived, Mr. Jackson and Sakai-san were two of them. The fathers of Mr. Miller and Fuji-san did not make it." She took a heavy breath in and looked at her interlaced fingers as she exhaled. "It was difficult to cope with the loss. But despite that, Mr. Jackson and Sakai-san chose to continue working for our family. Not too long ago, the sons of Mr. Miller and Fuji-san took their fathers' places."
She raised her gaze to the entrance and saw the other two men walking to the store. She watched them take their sunglasses off and nod at the two who were previously with her and Mitsui. Standing up, she turned to the shooting guard and surprised him with striking gray eyes. She tried to smile as she spoke.

"Sometimes I wonder why they continue to guard me."

The store clerk asked if she could help Reiko to look for something and she nodded, asking if she could give her a few moments. She walked outside and immediately the men's attentions were on her. Mitsui noted the look of apprehension on her face, like she was about to introduce herself in front of a class on the first day of school. He could hear her soft steady voice echo through the quiet store.

"I was wondering if you needed or wanted more casual clothes to wear. It's still quite warm under the sun, and these walks I've been taking must not be very comfortable for you. I hope you find something less restricting and more relaxed for you to wear."

The men looked at each other and shrugged, then nodded. They followed her into the store and she motioned the sales lady for help. At the moment, the men were engrossed in choosing pairs of slacks.

Noting Mitsui's silence, she inched closer to him while watching the men look around.

"Mitsui-san, does it bother you that you don't know much about me?"
The shooting guard shrugged. "I don't think that matters. You're a very kind person and you've been quite nice to me. That's all I need to know to make you my friend. The details can come later. That is, if you're comfortable."
She was secretly relieved whenever he reassured her that way. She let a smile crinkle the corners of her eyes.

The guard Sakai approached them and asked if they could give them an opinion on their clothing choices. They held some shirts and pants in front of them for her to see. Tilting her head to the side, she observed the lines of their features and shook her head gently. She took another shirt off the rack and held it against Sakai's body. She smiled. She did the same thing for each bodyguard, almost like on an assembly line, and watching her pick clothes out for them amused Mitsui greatly. She would take the fabric of each shirt between her fingers and feel for its softness before deciding to take it off the rack. Asking if they wanted to change out of their suits, she watched as all but Sakai went into the fitting rooms. Reassuring him that she would be all right, he entered the fitting room with some trepidation. Now looking at Mitsui-san, she reached behind him and took a blue button-up shirt from the shelf. Unfolding it, she held it against Mitsui, her fingers pushing gently against his broad shoulders.

"This is a good color for you, Mitsui-san. I'd like for you to have it."
His eyes slightly widened and he impulsively reached for his shoulders, grazing the tips of her soft fingers. "I don't really need a shirt, Reiko-san." Her eyes looked confused as he met them, the gentle pressure of her fingers still upon him. With the slightest hint of disappointment on her beautiful face, she began to withdraw her touch from him. He caught her hands and stayed them against his chest. "But I'm really clueless when it comes to fashion, and if you really want me to have it, I humbly accept it."
He will never get tired of that smile, he thought, and it was daunting to think that he was captive of it, making him want to agree to anything she wanted him do. Noticing the blue glints emerge from her gray eyes made him think he was under some sort of sorcery, and he loved being a victim. Relinquishing her hands, she looked down at the fabric and felt its soft texture between her fingers. She made her way to the counter where the blonde-streaked sales lady who was previously helping the bodyguards met her. The guards emerged from the fitting rooms with the price tags in their hands. After the purchases were rung up, Reiko handed her a stack of cash, bills all crisp.

They walked out of the store, the men toting their shopping bags and Mitsui walking alongside of his stretch partner. Looking back at the guards, he was amazed at how a change of clothes could change a man's appearance. They looked so much more approachable, and their facial features seemed to soften.

She suddenly stopped, her gaze still straight ahead. Mitsui gently reached for her shoulder.
"Are you all right?"

She looked down her abdomen, and instantly Mitsui knew.

"Where would you like to eat?"

She grinned and asked if they could eat some katsudon.

"This way," Mitsui said, taking the lead as she quickened her pace to even their distance. On the way to the string of restaurants at the intersection, she stole a glance at the shooting guard and was caught, Mitsui looking straight into the pools of blue in her eyes. She gave him a smile that mimicked those he received from the happy children at the day care center. At that moment, he knew she was thanking him silently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~