Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ The Girl That Time Loved ❯ Deal ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Her chest heaved up and down at a quick pace as her lungs burned for oxygen. She worked on passing drills the following morning and asked the bodyguards not to be meek with her. The younger guards Fuji and Miller were on the same side of the court with her, Miller acting as the target setter and Fuji the outside hitter. Sakai and Jackson were on the other side of the net hitting volleyballs. It was a surprise to her that all men were skilled in the sport. Then again, she thought she shouldn't be since the men were from the beaches of California. She ran up to and away from the net, returning spikes and passing them to Miller who loaded the setting machine.

Through the rectangular glass windows Coach Sato watched in awe, his eyes following her form as she hustled up and down the court.

"Awesome," he uttered.

"Playing Peeping Tom again, Sato-sensei?"

Mitsui walked up to the coach and gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder. He wasn't even fazed.

"This is torture. Every time I see her on the court, she shows me something new that blows me away."

"And that is?"
"Look at the area of court she is able to defend. She hasn't let one ball drop yet since I came to watch. She can do the job of three people on defense and still manage to pass the ball within arm's length of the target. God, it's so frustrating to watch her and think that she's not on my team!"

Mitsui looked at the coach with pity. Though he was sure that Reiko had a good reason not to play, he felt sorry for the man who was ready to tear his heart out.

"Is there something I can do to help you?"

"Yeah, you could beg her for me to join the team."

"I don't know, Sato-sensei. She's pretty timid about it, and I don't think she can play for the school, anyway. She already graduated college."

"What? How old is she?"

"Twenty."

"Did she graduate from a Japanese university?"
"No."

The coach snapped his fingers. "Then I still have a chance."

Mitsui was struck by his perseverance.

"Is there any way, any reason you could think of to make her change her mind?" the coach asked.

The shooting guard looked at the ground pensively. There wasn't anything she wanted badly. She seemed affluent and well taken care of; she was intelligent beyond her years and didn't impose on anybody for anything. There was that sad look on her face from time to time, but he also noticed that he never saw her unhappy whenever she played.

"Sato-sensei, I'll talk to her, but I make no guarantees. If she had particular needs, would you accommodate her?

"Yes, absolutely! Thanks, Mitsui-kun."

Mitsui opened one of the double doors of the annex gym and walked up to the bench where the practicing group had their things. As he sat down, he watched Reiko as she dove for a ball that was about to hit the sideline of the court where the bench was. It was almost like slow motion, the ball bounced off her forearm while she was in mid-air. She fell and slid on her tummy like a hockey puck headed straight for the bench. Immediately Mitsui pushed the bench behind him as he got up to anticipate the impact of Reiko against himself. Stopped by his strong arms, Reiko looked up at him, blue eyes full of surprise at first then grateful at the sight of her savior. She smiled.

"Thank you, Mitsui-san."

Helping her up to her feet, he stayed her as she held onto his firm hand while dusting herself with the other.

"Would you like to take a break, Nakamichi-dono?" asked one of the men.

"Yes, thank you," she said as she gasped for air.

She sat down on the bench with Mitsui taking the seat beside her. She grabbed a towel from her bag and wiped her face.

"You were all over the court there. Are you all right?"
Reiko peered from her towel and nodded. Her breathing became steadier. She took a water bottle from a cooler under the bench.

"Would you like one, Mitsui-san?"

"No, thanks, I already had a drink."

Smiling, she opened it, brought the mouth of the bottle to her lips and drank with her eyes closed. He observed the movement of her throat, imagining the cold liquid traveling within it to quench her thirst, and he suddenly felt warm and weak.

// God, I want to be that water bottle… //

The bodyguards also took drinks from their water bottles and they sat on the bench closest to the volleyball net pole. They were talking quietly amongst themselves and it was the first Mitsui had ever heard them speak in a group.

"How did practice go?" the shooting guard asked.

She sighed. "It went well, though I'm a little out of practice."

His eyes widened. "Out of practice? You were flying across the floor! Wow, I'm a little afraid to see what you are truly capable of doing."

She laughed softly as she capped her water bottle. "I think you assess too highly of me, Mitsui-san. I've heard the same news of you as well."

He arched a brow. "Oh? Who's been spreading rumors about me?" he sneered.

"I overheard Sato-sensei and the basketball coach talking in front of the entrance earlier."

"So you're eavesdropping now," he teased.

"I wasn't eavesdropping!" she protested at an unconvinced Mitsui, his head looking away and arms crossed. He eased his prim Donna stance and winked at her.

"I was just teasing, Reiko-san."

She eyed him suspiciously, and then grinned. "Will you ever dry the basketball coach's eyes and join his team?"

He laughed. "Oh, you're mocking me now, are you?"

"Touché," replied Reiko playfully.

He sighed. "Well, I could wipe the coach's tears, all right, but it wouldn't look good. And besides, I may need a tutor to help me stay afloat with schoolwork if I'm to play." Mitsui shuffled his feet. "What about you? You look like the dry-your-tears type."

She smiled and looked at the gleam of the halogen gym lights reflecting off the wooden floor. "Do you mean Sato-sensei?"

"Yes. But you don't have to answer if you're not -"

"Comfortable," she completed. He grinned. She took a few moments to answer. "I don't know, Mitsui-san. When I was in California, I only had one teammate. I've never had five other teammates and have not played on a wooden court before. I'm not sure how they would react to me and my men."

"There's only one way to find out," he cheered.

"I… I don't know. I'm not very good at making friends."

"What am I then, chopped liver? Come on, every person I know who has met you likes you."

She sat leaning her palms on the bench, a shoe tracing a wooden slat on the floor. She knew he was just reassuring her. She looked up to steal a glance at her stretch partner, not withstanding the gaze he returned. She looked back down.

"Being on the court in front of a crowd will make the guards' job more difficult. Should anything happen to me, it will endanger those around me."

Mitsui was taken by surprise. There it was, her reason for reclusion. She was protecting the ones who came in contact with her. She pulled her head up and stared blankly ahead.

"I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable," he whispered.

She looked at him and gently shook her head. "Oh no, I'm not uncomfortable, Mitsui-san. You have actually been very patient and accommodating with me. I am not uncomfortable in telling you this. It is I who has made you so."

His eyes locked with hers, now a glassy gray with glints of blue. Pity and admiration mixed within him, but he knew she didn't need pity. She needed a friend. He wanted to take her hand, pull her close and hold her.

"Reiko-san…" Resisting the latter urge, Mitsui instead reached for her hand on the bench. She looked at the hand and found the tender gesture consoling. She took her free hand and pat the thick one gently that enclosed her other hand.

"Well, don't worry about me. Danger got tired of paying me visits," he joked.

Her smile was faint.

"Um, Reiko-san, I never thanked you for yesterday."

"For what?"

"For helping me with my homework. And," he said as he lightly squeezed her hand, "for trusting me."

They sat like so for a long moment, her hand in his and her trust in his heart. He now wanted to know details, things about her that would make him understand her world better. Despite this wish, he left the decision for her to make if she wished to disclose them.

"Isn't the basketball team in its season right now?" she suddenly asked.

"Yes. As a matter of fact, they just started the new season."

He watched her look pensively down the floor.

"Mitsui-san, I know you are a very good basketball player. I imagine it would be more financially advantageous for you if you played for the team on scholarship."

"Yes, but there are more important things than playing."

"Like what?"

"Well, let's see…" Mitsui took a breath in and heaved a sigh. "I think the children are important. There would be chaos and unrest if they didn't have a puppet show."

She nodded her head in agreement.

"And my schoolwork is also important. I wouldn't want to be an engineer who barely skates through school and not know a thing."

Another nod.

"And stretching. Stretching is important."

She was about to nod but paused in thought. "I know stretching is important before playing, though I do not see how that affects your decision to play for the college."

"If I joined the team, I'd be too busy to practice on my own and stretch with you. I would feel inadequate if I don't hear your voice counting off in the morning."

It took her a second to realize that he didn't want to change his morning routine without her. His confession gave her a peculiar feeling, one that was foreign to her heart's senses. She glanced at the men lounging lazily by their bench before furtively looking at Mitsui. She shrugged it off.

"I could make a recording," she offered.

"It wouldn't be the same," he muttered as he squeezed her hand again lightly.

She felt her cheeks warm and her limbs tingly. It happened the first time he did it, too. Her eyes waxed blue as her curiosity peaked at how that happened.

"Mitsui-san, could you please squeeze my hand again?"

A little surprised yet happy at her request, he repeated the gentle gesture.

Again it happened.

"Are you all right, Reiko-san?"

She blinked a few times and smiled. "I feel this paresthesia in my extremities every time you do that."

"Is that bad?" he asked.

She angled her head as she looked at the gym's ceiling. "I don't know, I haven't decided yet." She looked at him and began to laugh.

"What is it?"
When her laughter faded, she replied, "I have been saying I don't know often lately."

"And that's funny because?"
She uncapped her water bottle, took a sip, and then answered.

"Because there are a lot more things which I don't know about that I wish to know."

She made him laugh. "I thought you knew everything."

"That's what my teachers told me."

He now noticed that she was back to her cheery self, and he loved her smiling blue eyes. He watched her as she tapped her shoes to music only she could hear. It was then that it struck him.

"Hey, how about we strike a deal, you and me?"

Suspicion roused her and she arched a brow. "Let's hear it first."

"All right. Okay, we both know that playing makes up happy, right?"

"Right."

"Good. Now before I go on, I'd like to know… if you'd miss me if you had to stretch alone."

She glanced at his expectant eyes before answering.
"I assume my saying yes is key to your logic?"
He coyly nodded. "Let's just say I'm fishing for the best answer."

She got off the bench and sat on the floor, legs together as she stretched and looked up at Mitsui. He quietly watched her fold over and count off, listening to her smooth mellow voice, hoping she wouldn't say no. After the tenth count, she sat up and looked back at Mitsui, the weight of her cerulean gaze burning him.

"I've been alone for the most part, and I've enjoyed your company every morning we stretch. So yes, I would miss your company."

Mitsui exhaled in relief. "I'm glad you said that. I was beginning to think I was annoying you."

She shook her head and laughed.
"Okay. I don't know if Sato-sensei told you that they have practice in the afternoons."
"Yes, he has mentioned it many times."

"Good. So, if you join Sato-sensei's team and I join the basketball team, we could still stretch out together in the afternoons. The basketball team starts their practice at the same time as Sato-sensei's does. I'd just have to study extra hard to keep up with school and I'd still do the puppet shows but only for an hour. This way, the coaches can stop tossing and turning at night about us and we can play and stretch together. Then everybody will be happy."

"But do I not have to be a student to play?"
He nodded. "This and other people will affect your decision."
"Who are the other people?"
"Fuji-san, Miller-san, Sakai-san and Jackson-san."

She sat in an Indian position, looking down her shoes.

Mitsui knew it was too much to ask. It never hurt to ask nicely, but he feared that she would refuse. She had the men's and her wellbeing to think of should anything happen, which brought him to a disquieting query. // Is someone after her? // Four bodyguards protecting one girl, there must be a serious reason for it.

She sat back on the bench beside Mitsui, looking pensively at the bodyguards who were now fooling around with a volleyball. There was a look of uncertainty in her eyes. She turned to him.

"Mitsui-san, the truth is I wouldn't mind playing. In fact, I would like to play. But I'm hesitant because… because I -"

He brought a finger to her lips, a bold act that surprised even Mitsui.

"Don't answer if it makes you uneasy. I feel bad enough. I shouldn't put you on the spot. I never want you to feel trapped or pressured, and I hope you don't resent me because I brought this up. You don't have to do this," he ended as he reluctantly withdrew his finger away from the softness of her lips.

Her face softened into a tender smile.

"Thank you for thinking of me, Mitsui-san."

"I always think of you."

His eyes widened. // Did I just say that out loud? //

"What I meant to say was, that I think of how much happier you might be if you tried to play with others and make new friends your age. That is, if you want to."

// But I really do think of you often… // his mind interjected.

She looked out at the expanse of the gym, almost like she was searching for something. Reiko stood and spoke.

"Please wait here, Mitsui-san."

"Okay." Mitsui mentally berated himself for being so forward.

She walked towards the men who stood up straight at the sight of her. Mitsui looked on as Reiko spoke to the men in a soft voice but loud enough from him to hear.

"Gentlemen, thank you for practicing with me. I am grateful for your help. You are all quite talented at this sport. I wish I invited you to play sooner."

Her audience chuckled softly at her compliment. She looked down at their feet, her voice nervous.

"Um… what I am about to ask of you might put you and I at a risk."

The men looked at each other.
"We are prepared to hear the situation, Nakamichi-dono," responded Jackson.

"You have all been aware that Sato-sensei has been relentless in his obvious desperation of convincing me to join his team. I've been wondering lately, if it is not too much to ask of you… to support me in my decision to play for his team. I know it will make your work harder and put you in a riskier position, and if you deem it too risky, I will decline Sato-sensei's offer for the last time."

Fuji looked to his colleagues beside him and spoke.

"Nakamichi-dono, we have been trained to guard you even in situations such as those you might be in if you play before a crowd. You have my support."

"Me, too, Nakamichi-dono," said Jackson.

"Count me in," chimed Miller.

"You have my support as well, Nakamichi-dono. Please don't worry about us. We just hope that you will be happier when you start playing." Sakai's face split into a smile.

Reiko's eyes widened and she was overwhelmed. She realized that they have moved and left the island of isolation within themselves, despite of what happened so many years ago. She was diffident and thought she had no right to impose on them, after all they have been through. All these years she had been silent and alone, shutting herself from them and the world because she knew how they felt and she didn't want to bother them. Perhaps they wanted her to leave her island, too.

She humbly bowed down before them.

"Thank you so much," she whispered, blinking the tears away.

The men bowed in return, and before they could stand upright again she quickly wiped her eyes.

"I suppose this is a good way to end practice today. I will let Mitsui-san and Sato-sensei know."

She turned around and caught the shooting guard watching her, her eyes almost twinkling in delight and relief as she hurried to him. He stood as she approached him with a smiling face and excitement in her voice.

"They agreed, Mitsui-san!"

"That's great!"

"But I feel odd, I am happy and nervous at the same time."

He laughed. "It's okay to feel both." He extended his hand out to her. "So have we got a deal?"

"Yes." She took his hand and shook it.

"Should I get Sato-sensei?"
"Not until I enroll first."
Her excitement was contagious; Mitsui was thrilled. He grinned as he listened to her hum while she packed her things, something he never heard her do. It sounded soothing, and he inwardly sighed at the warm sensation in his chest as he listened. He had the ridiculous urge to lift her up in the air and whirl her around. In his eyes, he saw the jubilant child released from within her, and he felt privileged to see this playful side of her like it was some rare phenomenon. He would make sure to make it a natural occurrence, for he knew this was her true and unrestrained nature.

Mitsui led the way to the admissions office and once inside, all eyes were on the tall bodyguards who towered over Reiko, making her look small. She quietly made her way to the front desk and inquired of what paperwork she needed to fill out. A snooty young woman handed her a folder of papers and flatly stated that the school will need a photograph of her with her essay. Mitsui noticed the irritation on Jackson's face, and the other guards did not look pleased.

"Jackson-san, is everything -"

"Hold on to that thought, Mitsui-san. I need to make a phone call."

The guard flipped his cell phone open, scrolled down to a number and pushed send. He stepped out of the office and started talking, his voice perceptible through the door.

"Sir, this is Jackson…"

Mitsui's eyes glanced at the other guards for a clue, and they answered him with a shrug. He then looked for his stretch partner who now sat down in the waiting area looking over the papers. The men took a seat as well, glancing at the paintings on the wall. The shooting guard approached Reiko.

"Hey, everything all right?"

"Yes, I just need to -"

"Nakamichi-dono," Jackson interrupted as he reentered the office, "Harada-san would like to see you in his office right away. We'll take you up to see him."

The other guards stood and followed Reiko out the door, Mitsui tagging along. Catching up to her, he whispered. "Isn't Harada-san the president of this school?"

She nodded.

"Wow, I didn't know you knew so many people in high places."

She giggled as they walked into the elevator. It ascended to the top floor and they found themselves before a pair of carved doors. Miller knocked loudly on the door and an old man with salt-and-paper colored hair opened it. His eyes crinkled happily at the sight of Reiko.
"Reiko-chan, it's good to see you again! Please come in," he said as he ushered the group into his office. "You wanted to see me, my dear?" the president asked sweetly.

"I suppose Mr. Jackson arranged this meeting," she said, glancing at the tall guard. He answered with a nod.

"I wish you'd come around more often to see me, Reiko-chan. So, I understand you wish to attend school here. That's a welcomed surprise, dear. You really should be teaching instead of sitting in classes."

She laughed. "I don't know everything, Harada-san, if that is what you mean."

"Well, can you blame me for thinking highly of you?"
// So, I'm not the only one after all… // Interest peaked, Mitsui listened carefully to their conversation.

"Thank you, sir."
"'Sir'? Are we back to that?" the old man winked. "I suppose I should dye my hair black again, I'm really getting old. Oh, please, have a seat, all of you." The president's eyes fell upon Mitsui. "Hello, I don't believe we've met. Harada Junichi," he said, holding out his hand.

"Mitsui Hisashi, sir. Pleased to meet you." He shook the president's hand firmly and bowed, a habit he picked up from Reiko.

"Your name sounds awfully familiar, son. Ah, yes. The basketball coach has been trying to get you in the basketball program here."

"Yes, sir."

The old man sat behind his desk and leaned on his elbows.

"So, what can I do for the most sought-after shooting guard and the school's most generous and lovely benefactor?"
Mitsui's eyes widened and his head turned to Reiko who looked earnestly down at her fiddling fingers. // Benefactor? //

"I would like to take a few math courses here, Harada-san."

"But dear, you already have one too many PhDs."

// PhD?! //

She continued to look at her slender fingers and smiled demurely. "I have been rusty with my mathematics, I wish to continue learning what I can."

The old man shrugged. "I am here to accommodate you in any way, Reiko-chan. I will arrange the paperwork myself. I'm just afraid the classes may not be at a fast enough pace for you."

"They will be just fine, Harada-san," she reassured.

The president sighed. "All right, but don't blame this old man for not cautioning you. So, what about you, Mitsui-kun, is there anything I can do for you?"
"Nothing really, sir. I'm just here with Reiko-san."

"All right, then. I'll make sure these papers get processes right away. And for the second time, I welcome you to this university." He stood to shake Reiko's hand. "And don't be a stranger, all right?"
"All right."

"Mitsui-kun, I look forward to having you in our basketball program. I hope you'll join the team."

"Yes, sir," he answered.

They left the president's office and rode the elevator to the ground floor. When the elevator doors opened, the guards led Reiko to the gym where they asked her to wait for the Suburban. Jackson and Miller stayed behind, allowing a distance far enough for the two athletes to talk between themselves.

"So… PhD, huh?" Mitsui teased.

"I was afraid you'd remember that," she whispered, eyes suddenly downcast. She secretly hoped he wouldn't react like all the other people she encountered.

"What was one of your PhDs in?"
She hesitated to answer. "Molecular biology."

"Wow."

He let a minute pass between them before noticing the melancholy look on her face. "Hey, why so glum? This is supposed to be a happy day for you."

She found a bench to sit on and coyly glanced up at Mitsui's concerned face. "I know. I just wish Harada-san didn't say all that about me."

He smirked. "What, about you being generous and lovely?"
She tried to laugh but couldn't. "That's mere flattery."

"Well, I think he was just being honest. It's nothing to be ashamed of."
Reiko looked away, unable to meet Mitsui's gaze. He was right; this was supposed to be a happy day. And yet, she felt displaced somehow, that same feeling of apprehension gripped her heart. It had happened before.

"Hey," Mitsui softly coaxed as he bent down in front of her. He reached for her chin and gently turned her somber face towards him. As expected, her eyes lost their blithe blue shade. "I didn't mean to embarrass you about your accomplishments. I was just surprised, that's all. And it makes sense to me now why you know so much. I'm happy for you."

She seemed unconvinced. After a moment of looking at him with wraithlike eyes of gray, she glanced down.

"Every time a new acquaintance found out, they treated me like I was in a league of my own that they didn't want to be a part of."

Then, in almost a whisper, "Being intelligent is my gift, Mitsui-san. And yet… it is also my curse."

The shooting guard couldn't utter a word. How desolate it must have been for her, tenuously trying to connect with someone her age only to be rejected because of her steep IQ. It was no wonder why her friends were much older than her. They were more likely on the same wavelength of thought, and carrying a friendly conversation may have been easier with them.

// Or was it out of pity that they did so? //

"What must I do to keep your eyes blue? I will do anything."

His words made her freeze. Father used to say those words to me... She looked at him wide-eyed as Mitsui looked on with concern.

"I'm sorry that you had some bad experiences before, Reiko-san. There may not be anything we can do about the past, but we can do something about the future, and today is the start of it. If you let me, I will help you."

She could do nothing but stare back at him. Of all the people she met, he was by far the only one who offered to help her find her way around town and the encouragement to step out of her enclosed world. He made situations that were so difficult for her to be in seem incredibly easy. She watched him take her hand in his and gave it a gently squeeze. The tingling sensation traveled throughout her again.

"So, are you going to let me see you smile?" he asked timidly.

Though it was weak, Mitsui saw the smile on her face and was glad that she responded to his request. The vehicle arrived and parked by the curb down the steps. Jackson and Miller called out to Reiko.

"Nakamichi-dono, any time you're ready."

She acknowledged them with a nod.
Mitsui let go of her hand, never taking his eyes off hers. She tucked a few straying hairs behind her ear as the breeze blew by.

"What do you plan to do now, Mitsui-san?"
He grinned. "First I'm going to tell Akagi. Then I'm going to turn in my homework, which you graciously helped me with, thank you very much. And, I'm debating whether or not to show up for basketball practice today."

"Why wouldn't you? Are you not excited about playing today?"

He shrugged. "I'd like to be there when you break the news to Sato-sensei."

A genuine smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

"And don't forget to bring a handkerchief."
She angled her head in questioning. "For what?"

"Wiping Sato-sensei's tears of joy," the shooting guard sang, outlining a path from the corner of his eye down to his jaw.

He was gratified at the sight of her as she laughed, not knowing why making her happy brought that welcomed warmth in his chest.

"What about you, Reiko-san, what will you do now?"
"I must go back to the house and make a call."

"Will you be back?"
"Yes. Shall I meet you somewhere?"
"I will wait for you here."
"It will take about three hours, would that be too long?"
"Not at all."

"I'll see you then, Mitsui-san," she said as she waved to him.

He watched her descend the steps with her ever-present guards. They seemed less menacing when not dressed in black suits. His eyes followed the vehicle as it sped off the cul-de-sac and turned left onto the main street, carrying within it the blue-eyed jewel most precious to his heart.

Finding his way to the bench where he and Akagi often talked, he sat down and waited to be found. Minutes later the bells of the clock tower tolled the hour and a tall muscled figure emerged from the corridor and was quite surprised to find his friend there.

"Mitsui! You finally crawled out from under your rock! Where the heck have you been? We missed you on the court last night."

"Sorry, Akagi. I was preoccupied."
The tall center produced an apple from his backpack and grunted. "With Reiko-san, I'm sure."

Mitsui extended his head with a blissful sigh. "Man, I feel like I've been floating lately, like I'm high. How does she do this to me?"

"Oh boy…" Akagi sat beside him, took a bite out of his apple and rolled his eyes. "Care to share the details?"
The shooting guard recounted what happened after dinner at the Italian restaurant, the trip to the sports gear store and the Ralph Lauren store. Each mention of his stretch partner's name brightened Mitsui's eyes, and Akagi was amused.

"I took her to the day care center to see the puppet show and the kids clung to her like she was the candy lady. Man, every person who meets her gets drawn to her. The day care offered her a job on the spot."

"She does leave quite an impression, even with just one look," Akagi stated.

"I know! Man, her bodyguards are so lucky. They get to be with her all the time."
Halfway through a bite, Akagi withdrew his apple and smirked impishly at Mitsui.

"Oh man, you've got it bad, Mitsui."

"That's what my Pops said."

"What, don't you think so?"
"I'm not too sure about a lot of things, but I can certainly tell you she makes me happy, to the pitiful point of absentmindedness. My family caught staring glassy-eyed at the wall during dinner."

Akagi laughed heartily. "I bet they got a kick out of that."

"I think about her a lot, Akagi," he voiced an octave lower. "It scares me."

"It's only normal," he said, biting into his apple.

He sighed again, and then brightened up. "Oh, I've got some good news. I'll be joining the team soon."

His words made Akagi spit out the fruity contents of his mouth. Wiping his chops with his sleeve, he gaped at Mitsui.
"Really? You're not kidding, are you?
Mitsui shook his head as he smiled.
"That's great! Have you told the coach yet?"
"I think I'll wait till tomorrow to tell him."

"What?! Why? You know that man burns a torch and prays every day for you to come to practice."

"Because I'd like to see Reiko-san settled in with Sato-sensei's team. She's a little shy."

The tall center waved him off with his big hand. "The girls on the team are nice. Both starting setters are in my organic chemistry class. She'll blend right in."
"That's what I'm betting on. But one day won't hurt the coach. I just need to see that she's comfortable. It's kind of a promise."

Akagi's face softened. "Mitsui, I don't think I've ever seen you like this."
The shooting guard frowned. "Come to think of it, I've become soft, if not bolder."

Akagi laughed. "Yeah, to say the least." He shot the apple core into a trashcan. "But you look really happy, so I can only support it. Did you tell her how you feel?"

"No, not really… even though she sees me gaping at her like some sorry lame ass. But it's funny, she doesn't seem to care."
"Probably because those guards watch her all the time. Why are there so many of them, anyway? It's not like she's in grave danger, is she?"'

Mitsui leaned elbows on his thighs. "She's never told me anything about it. It's sad, I've only learned a few things about her despite spending most of these past few days with her."

"But that's actually better than knowing everything about her all at once. It keeps you from boredom."

"I guess you're right."

"And just what did you learn about her?" wheedled Akagi.

"Well, she doesn't have many friends her age."

"What? Stop jerking my chain. A nice girl like that?"

"Yeah, that's exactly what I said. But she didn't bat a lash when she said it, and her voice was serious."

"Is it because she's always watched?"
"That's part of it, I think. I found out she's got more than one PhD, one of them in molecular biology."
"Good grief, are you serious?!"

He nodded sadly. "And I think those who met her in the past got intimidated and didn't want anything to do with her. Those she did make friends with are as old as our professors."
Akagi glanced down at his large bulky hands. "Poor girl. No doubt she blew every grading curve in every class she attended. But it makes me wonder… volleyball is a team sport, so she must've played with someone else, like a friend. Surely she has at least one friend her age," he said, his tone hopeful.

"She did mention she only had one teammate and had never played on a wooden court before, so I'm guessing she played beach volleyball in California with that person." Mitsui kicked a tiny pebble by the bench. "Akagi, I've seen Reiko-san really happy before, but there are times when her eyes wan gray like she was crestfallen. It's like she's got one foot out the door like she wants to see the world, and yet the rest of her is wary of leaving her lonely shell."

"Her eyes change colors?"
"Yeah, it's the most peculiar yet beautiful thing I've seen. They're striking blue when she's happy and change to a sharp gray when she's not."

"Man, Mitsui, you certainly know how to choose the most atypical girl on the face of this planet, not that that's bad."

"I'm lucky, I suppose. You know, everyone thinks she's my girlfriend, and I really really wish she was."

Akagi punched the shooting guard's shoulder. "Then do something about it."

Mitsui blocked another playful punch. "Hey, no need to rush things, right?"

Akagi grunted. "I guess there's no need to worry. I just hope it won't affect your game negatively."

Mitsui laughed. "She's actually the reason I want to play again. I don't know, I feel like a different person whenever I'm with her, like I can do anything."

"Reiko-san has become your moon, Mitsui." Akagi glanced at his wristwatch. "Hey, did you turn in your physics homework yet?"

"Got it right here."

"Come on, let's go drop it off."

Down the corridor they went, up the stairs and left into the main hallway of the math building. A large wooden box with a slot stood by the door of the professor's office and the towering duo dropped their homework in.

"Hey, there's a party at Miyagi's house tomorrow night. He told me to tell you since you didn't show up at last night's little game."

"I'm sorry about that. Who won?"

"Sakuragi and Miyagi."

"Did you take them out to eat?"

"No, Haruko made dinner instead."

"Good for you, she saved your wallet that time."

"Yeah. Oh hey, why don't you invite Reiko-san to the party? Ayako invited some girls on the volleyball team, maybe Reiko-san will be more at ease once she gets to know them."

"That's not a bad idea. But if she does decide to go, tell Miyagi four more people are coming. What's the occasion, anyway?"

The giant center laughed. "He calls it a `distraction' party. He thought it would be a good idea to help us forget our last humiliating loss. It should be fun, and Rukawa and Hanamichi will be there, too, and I'm sure mayhem will ensue."

"I guess I'll tell Miyagi about the bodyguards," Mitsui chuckled.

"Oh, he already knows."

"Huh? How does he know?"

"He and Ayako cornered me, tied me to a chair, placed me under a hot light and made me talk."

"Very funny, Gori."

"Well, they were just intrigued by Sakuragi's rantings of your `girlfriend's' shocking blue eyes. Of course, Haruko overhead this and that idiot Hanamichi spent the rest of the evening reassuring my little sister that she's the only one he has eyes for."

Mitsui's throat bubbled with laughter. "I guess he doesn't know when to shut up."

"You got that right. Hey, I gotta go to physics class. Are you coming?"

"Yeah, I might as well go. Reiko-san won't be back till later."

The two sauntered down the hallway and entered a large lecture hall. Sitting down the middle section of the seating area, both men took out their notebooks and prepared to scribble down some notes. Mitsui watched carefully as the professor wrote across the board the same formula Reiko had used to shorten his proof. Grinning, he couldn't help but think of her, the hopeful and expectant look in her bright eyes lingered in his mind. He was more excited for her than he was about playing for the basketball team. All her disappointing encounters, the apprehension in her voice, he wanted to make her forget and give her more to smile about.

// Akagi is right. She pulls me toward her like gravity itself. //

He took a moment to mull over his thoughts, and his eyes widened at the realization.

// I'm really in love… //