Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Chimera ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was mid-evening when we approached a house on the side of the road. I glanced at the others and then knocked on the front door. I hoped I had the right house. The directions we had been given were vague, because of Dilgear's presence. It seemed that everyone was afraid of the werewolf and the one person we had managed to stop, gave us the directions to Rodimus' house hurriedly. After he had given the directions, he ran off with great speed. There was a silence and then the door opened. An elderly gentleman gazed out at me and I bowed my head in respect.

"Greetings sir. Could you perchance be Rodimus?" I inquired and the man glanced at Dilgear.

"You have a werewolf with you," he said and I nodded my head.

"I know but he's merely a chaperone. I came to ask if you'd help us in our quest."

"Quest? Who are you?"

"Please, listen to what I have to say. My name is Zelgadis and I have been sent by Master Rezo in search of an artifact. I heard of your skills in the nearby town and I was wondering if I could enlist your help."

"Zelgadis....if you are Zelgadis, then why do you hide your face?"

"Master Zelgadis was involved in an unfortunate accident," Zolf said as he stepped forward. "I believe I can vouch for him. I knew his mother, Sylpha."

"You know Sylpha? Who are you?" Rodimus asked and Zolf bowed in respect.

"My name is Zolf. I am a sorcerer skilled in black magic and I have known his mother for quite awhile," Zolf replied. "Are you now willing to listen to our tale?"

"Quite willing. Come inside please, and tell me of your quest."

"Thank you," I said as he stepped out of the doorway. I kept my head low so as not to alarm him as I walked past him. Zolf and Dilgear followed me and I stood in a corner of the room while Rodimus closed the door. Zolf looked at me and pointed to my hood.

"I believe it would be easier to show him than to tell him, Master Graywords," he said and I sighed.

"I suppose you're right."

Reluctantly, I took off my hood, allowing my rock hard hair to glisten in the light. I gazed at the shocked Rodimus and closed my eyes for a moment. Damn you, Rezo. This is the reaction I'm always going to get because of your twisted sense of humor. I never asked for your assistance in locating my father. My father...I couldn't locate my father looking like this. Was that another reason Rezo did what he did? Did he transform me into this creature so that I couldn't learn the truth about my father's disappearance? It was possible, but then why would he start my magical training? Couldn't I use my skills to find out the real truth? But what good would accessing the spirit world be? Perhaps I could find out whether or not my father was still living. If he was, then I wouldn't be able to contact him in the spirit world.

"Rezo did this?" Rodimus asked and I brought my attention back to the present.

"Zelgadis asked him to do it," Dilgear said and I glared at him.

"Do you really think I would ask the Red Priest to change me into this...this....thing?! I never asked him to assist me," I said and Zolf cleared his throat.

"Why Master Graywords is like this, is beside the point. We would like your assistance in recovering a legendary artifact for the Red Priest. We are hoping that during the course of this journey, a cure is found for Zel," he said as I covered my face and sat down. Why would anyone wish such a curse on themselves? A man would be insane to want a body like this. Insane or drunk with power. I suppose at times, this body was useful. I couldn't get burned and I couldn't get injured easily but there were other things that made this body difficult. Taking a shower or a bath was one thing. My body was even more awkward in a bath because since it was made out of stone, it had a habit of sinking down to the bottom of the bath. I could imagine the embarassment I'd be in if I somehow fell into a large body of water. Perhaps I could summon a water spirit to help me out but I had yet to learn conjuring spells.

"I see. Your story is touching. I would like to join you on your quest," Rodimus said and I gazed at him.

"Thank you. Your help will be greatly appreciated," I said as he stood up.

"It's no trouble. Come, let's get you all a place to sleep for the night. We all have a long road ahead of us."

I awoke in the middle of the night again, the reality of what I was still pulling at my soul. The pain and torment wouldn't leave me alone, especially not when I slept. I couldn't control the intensity of my feelings and hate for the curse Rezo put me under when I slept. All I wanted to do was to be free from it. I wanted to be normal again. I stood up and allowed the blanket to fall to the ground. I rubbed my rough skin and sighed as my fingers ran over my rock-like scales. Damn you Rezo. It's not bad enough that you had to use the forbidden mixture of magic and science but you had to use it on me.

All you care about is your own lack of sight. You care nothing about how you get it or who you hurt on the way. How can so many people believe that you are great? Sure, you've helped people, but that was only because you wanted to help yourself. If you had been able to see like the rest of us, I'm sure you wouldn't have performed so many of the "miracles" that you've performed. Now you want your own family to risk his life to locate the Philosopher's Stone. Well once I get it in my hand, I'm most certainly not going to give it to you. I refuse to let you have sight while I suffer through life as this creature that you made me.

I never asked for this, Rezo. I never asked for you to help me. You took it upon yourself to help me and now look where I'm at because of your helpfulness. I couldn't even let my own mother see me because of this terrible body. And you wanted thanks from me? Thanks for what? Thanks for now being a person that is looked differently upon? Thanks for having to constantly hide my face lest I frighten someone? Thanks for lack of sleep because my own skin is now too hard to sleep on? I think not. I do not thank you for any of this, Rezo. You may be my grandfather, but I am in no means grateful for what you have put me through.

"Zel, you need to get your rest," Zolf whispered and I looked at him.

"When did you get up?" I inquired and Zolf waved a hand in dismissal.

"That does not matter. If you plan to succeed on this journey, you need your rest. Come, lie back down, Master Graywords."

"What good will it do? I will only awaken again due to the hardness of my own skin. I couldn't sleep well if my life depended on it."

"Then allow me to assist you. Sands of time, velvet of night, close thine eyes let slumber take flight."

A sleeping spell, I noted as I tried to force my eyes to stay open. It wasn't a strong spell but....it was effective. I felt my entire body loosen up and I tried to force myself to stay focused on the curse I was under, but my fatigue got the best of me. I fell forward and I felt Zolf drag me slightly to a soft spot on the floor. It was my bed, I assumed as I involuntarily laid my head on what I thought to be the pillow and fell fast asleep. Perhaps I should start spending more time in the spirit realm. Maybe I'd learn something that would be helpful to my journey.

Zolf's spell had worked quite well, I noted when I opened my eyes. The sun was high in the sky when I fully became alert. Dilgear gazed at me and folded his arms in what seemed contempt. I yawned widely and resisted the urge to put my hand up to my mouth to block the yawn. I didn't want to damage my teeth by accidentally biting my rock hard skin. My teeth may be strong like fangs, but they were not as strong as my skin. The only thing that would damage this hide of mine would be a sword of light. Normal weaponry had no effect on me, which I guess made me feel a little powerful but I couldn't help but think of how Rezo ruined my life. Not just because of what he turned me into but the social complications because of it. Would I seriously be looked upon the same way in the sorcery guilds as everyone else? Zolf and Rodimus accepted me, but that was because they both had known my mother. Exactly how Rodimus knew my mother, I'm not exactly sure and I didn't think now was the best time to pry into such potentially delicate matters.

"Are you always going to oversleep?" Dilgear asked as I stood up and pulled my shirt collar up over my chin. Such an annoying creature. But, he was part troll so I guess I could accept his lack of tact. However, I still did not like being stuck with him. I'd rather take any demon over him. They had to be better company than that werewolf.

"It's extremely hard for him to get the rest he needs due to his hardened skin," Rodimus said as I pulled down my hood. "You have to allow him some extra time."

"I think he's just stalling. I don't think he wants to help Master Rezo. Just wait until I make my report, Zelgadis. You'll regret everything you've done."

"Regret everything I've done?" I repeated and Zolf laid a hand on my shoulder.

"Let it go," he said. "It'll be a lot easier."

"It may be easier but I still don't like being insulted."

"I don't care what your relationship with the Red Priest is. You obviously don't care about his well-being," Dilgear said and laid a hand on his sword. "I challenge you to show your integrity to the Red Priest."

"What?" I asked and Zolf stepped between Dilgear and me.

"Don't you think you're overreacting just a little?" he asked. "I mean, it hasn't been that long since we started on this journey to recover the artifact and this search may take a long time. It's natural for people's tempers to rise when they have a difference of opinion. It's the way things are."

"I think it would be best if we all took part of something to eat and went on our way," Rodimus said and Zolf nodded his head.

"That is a wise suggestion," he said and Dilgear snorted in impatience.

"Then will we finally set out to do what we were appointed to do?" he inquired.

"You are an impatient sort," Rodimus commented. "I believe after we eat, we'll be ready to go."

"Then don't take a long time eating. It's not like I didn't have other things to do than to join you on this quest."

"I'm sure we all did, Dilgear," Zolf said then looked at me. "But I made the choice to join Master Zelgadis on this trip and I don't think I'll regret it."

"Those are my views as well," Rodimus said as he directed us to the dining table.