Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Crazy for this Girl ❯ Act 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Crazy for this Girl

Author: Yugure

Genre: Romance

Bias: Lina/Zel - Zel/Lina

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: I don't own Slayers or the characters appearing here. I do own Vinn, although he doesn't believe me when I try to tell him that.

Author Notes: I know I take a lot of liberties with this chapter. I'm reshaping Zephilia into the kind of town I need it to be, when it's actually the opposite (I think). But this is a fanfic, so who cares, ne? As for Lina's family… well, this is my take on the way things were. I never thought I'd ever actually write a past for Lina. I was trying not to, because it's been done so many times. Unfortunately, this chapter wrote itself and implanted the ideas without my help. Damn fanfic. So anyway, just bear with me for awhile.

Crazy for this Girl - Act 4

Zephilia. A prosperous city-state, rich with the sale of the finest wines found anywhere on the planet. The cobblestone streets were swamped with creatures from all walks of life. Grand, ornate shops lined the streets. The marketplace was in constant hustle and bustle. Zephilia was the kind of place you'd want your children to grow up in, the kind of place they'd love coming back to again and again.

Lina, however, was literally shaking in her boots.

The quiet tremors began when the traveling trio of human, chimera, and cat first approached the vineyards outside the city. When Lina caught sight of the towering trellises and their plentiful burden, she immediately slowed her pace, almost to a standstill. Zelgadis had to nearly drag her off her feet to get her to move forward. As his hand clamped down on Lina's wrist, Zelgadis felt a small shudder travel through the pale arm beneath his.

"Are you cold?" Zelgadis asked, eyeing Lina steadily. Lina shook her head.

"No."

"Are you scared?"

"Absolutely not!"

"Then let's go." The trio forged ahead, Lina beginning to whimper pitifully.

***

Vinn heard the wailing and screeching before he saw the familiar redheaded person it belonged to. Dropping his mortar and pestle onto the floor (which elicited angry cusses from Vinn's father), Vinn raced out of the herbal shop and darted through the crowd, hoping to catch up with the quickly moving girl.

"Lina!"

***

Together Zelgadis and Lina turned around. A tall, good-looking young man bounded toward them, covered in soot and wearing a brilliant smile on his face. His shoulder length hair was tied back with black thread into a short ponytail. Eyes like dark emeralds peered out from beneath loose strands of silky hair.

Zelgadis bristled. Red began to color his vision as the man wrapped Lina in his arms and lifted her off the ground.

"Lina, I can't believe it's really you! It's been so long since you've been here last!" The smile on Lina's face was enough to send Zelgadis's heart plummeting into the ground.

"I know. I've been a very busy girl. How's your mom and dad, Vinn?" Lina stepped back, seemingly unaware of Zelgadis and the thundercloud hanging over his head.

"They're fine. They had a little girl since you've been gone. Her name is Sarah."

"What's she like?"

"A complete wild child. Constantly getting into trouble. Kinda like you." Vinn grinned. Lina punched him lightly, laughing as she did so.

"How do you know I'm still like that? Maybe I've straightened up since I saw you last."

"Yeah right. Don't think I haven't heard the stories about Lina Inverse, the Bandit Killer, the Dra-matta, the-"

"Okay, okay, enough already. I get your point."

Zelgadis cleared his throat. Vinn and Lina both looked at him. Lina was somewhat oblivious to the thundercloud hanging about Zel's head.

"Who's he?" both young men demanded at the same time.

"Uh… Vinn, this is Zelgadis. I've been traveling with him for the past few years. Zelgadis, this is Vinn. I've known him since I was a baby," Lina introduced her friends. She swiped her finger down Vinn's cheek, leaving a clean white line in its wake. "What have you been up to, and why are you covered in soot?"

"One of Father's herbal remedies backfired, quite literally. I just happened to be holding it when it happened," Vinn explained. He turned his attention back to Zelgadis, who merely glared in response. "So, Zelgadis, is it? What brings you and Lina to Zephilia? I don't suppose it's to meet her parents, eh?"

"No, of course not," Zelgadis congenially replied. Lina did not like the look on his face. "However, that can always-"

"Man, am I starving!" Lina chortled, interrupting her chimera friend with a sharp jab in his ribs. "Let's go to Auntie's. She's still in business, isn't she?" Without waiting for an answer, she began dragging Zelgadis through the streets.

***

"Hey, tell Auntie that Lina's here," Lina informed the waitress as she leaned back in her chair.

"Yes'm," the waitress murmured. Shortly thereafter, a small but lively old lady bounced into the room with an astonished look on her face.

"Lina Inverse? Back here in Zephilia? Oh my heavens! Dear child, you've grown so much!" she exclaimed, wrapping the equally short Lina in an herbal-scented embrace. Lina blushed and shook her head.

"No, I haven't grown that much," she muttered.

"Nonsense! You're such a beautiful young lady now. I bet you have to beat the guys away with a stick!"

"Not quite," Lina mumbled even lower, her face burning. She cast a quick look at her friends. Zelgadis was staring at the old woman as though she had seven heads, and Vinn was staring at… well, at her. Lina. And there was something in his eyes that caused Lina to look away.

"Who is this charming young man? How do you know my Lina?" Auntie gushed, taking Zelgadis's hands into her own. "Oh my, look at this. You have such an interesting affliction."

"Auntie!" Lina cried, horrified at the other woman's bluntness. Zelgadis first turned pale, then red with a mixture of anger and embarrassment. Auntie, oblivious, continued to pet and paw at Zelgadis.

"I met Lina on her travels. My name is Zelgadis," Zelgadis choked out with great restraint. Always a sore subject, Zelgadis's "affliction" seemed to draw more attention than needed.

"We're here looking for a cure - " Lina began, but Auntie interrupted.

"Oh, my dear, there's no cure for this here in Zephilia." Auntie clucked her tongue and went over to Vinn to straighten his tunic and brush off a few stray threads.

"Not that. Um…" Lina fiddled with the ends of her hair. "He was cursed with something else. We're hoping that Vinn's father or mother can help him."

"Lina, who is this?" Zelgadis hissed under his breath. He jabbed a finger at Auntie.

"She's been a friend of the family for as long as I can remember. She helped raise me," Lina whispered back. "But she's not really my aunt." She caught Vinn's gaze yet again over Auntie's bowed and wrinkled head. Zelgadis instinctively put his arm around Lina's shoulders, having a fierce reaction to the way Vinn was looking at the petite sorceress.

"My, what a cute couple you two make. Are you married yet? Any children? Oh my goodness, Lina Inverse with children! The world would never survive!" Auntie chuckled to herself as she personally served the table.

"Auntie!" Lina exclaimed, again embarrassed at the bluntness. She shrugged off Zelgadis's arm and scooted away from him. "No, we're not married and no, we don't have any kids. L-sama, I can barely take care of my other friends, let alone children. Kids hate me."

Vinn watched the exchange between Auntie and Lina with mild irritation. This Zelgadis person was, in Vinn's humble opinion, a cloud to Lina's sunshine; a blemish to her perfection. It did not please Vinn to hear Auntie go on and on about how the two of them looked so cute together. As Lina gave Auntie their hefty order (which did not surprise Auntie in the least), Vinn and Zelgadis had a staring contest, broken only when Lina whacked Zel in the head with her menu.

Zelgadis, you fool. How pathetic you are. I pity you. You are not worthy of Lina's affection, Vinn thought bitterly. She will never bear your children, if I have anything to do with it.

Outside the tavern door, Kurayami mewled in protest and scratched at the wood. Having been forgotten and left outside to fend for himself, the kitten yowled loudly and stalked off into a nearby alley, presumably to hunt rats.

***

"Why, Lina, it's so good to see you again!" The ruggedly handsome father of Vinn wrapped Lina into a giant bear hug. He held her out at arms length and took in her appearances. "What brings you back to Zephilia? Finally ready to settle down? You know, we've been looking for a suitable bride for Vinn - "

"Actually, I'm here to help a friend. You and Misha are the only people I know who might be able to help us," Lina interrupted, feeling her face burn again. What was it with these people and their interest in her love life?! "So, M'kael, are you up to a challenge?"

"I hope it's not curing your chimera friend, because that takes a lot more magick than we can deal with," M'kael stated. He shook his head in sympathy at Zelgadis, who glared at him from beneath the cowl of his cloak. After the incident at the tavern with Auntie, Zelgadis thought it best to hide in the comforting shadows of his cloak. Unfortunately, M'kael had already seen the stony hands.

The shop was nearly empty. Only an elderly couple rummaged through the shelves of remedies and medicinal herbs. From the back of the room came a loud clang, followed by a feminine voice screaming some not-so-feminine things.

"Mother?" Vinn called out, leaving Lina and Zelgadis with his father. "If you're trying to move the cauldron, I told you I'd come help you do it later…" His voice trailed off with distance.

"No, it's not that… Look, can we go someplace else to discuss this?" Lina asked.

"Sure thing, Lina. Say, you haven't been by your home yet, have you?"

Lina dreaded hearing this exact thing. She would say no, and M'kael would insist that she stop by and tell her parents hello. It's only common courtesy, M'kael would claim. However, the devil himself couldn't get Lina anywhere near her former home. It was by sheer luck that Lina hadn't been spotted by any of the manor servants, or even Mother or Father themselves. Or… Lina gulped and shook her head, clearing her mind of the thought of Luna but inadvertently giving M'kael the answer he needed.

"You should at least go and say hello. I presume you'll be staying there for the time you're here?"

"No! I mean… no, I'd rather not. I just want to cure Zelgadis and get out of here. I've got friends to meet up with, and I'd hate to waste time on frivolities."

"Your family isn't a frivolity, Lina," M'kael said sternly. Lina cringed under the judging look in M'kael's face.

"Maybe tomorrow."

"Maybe tonight. Like, now, Lina. I won't help you until you visit your parents."

"Dammit, M'kael, why not?"

"Such language from a young lady. So unnatural…"

"Go to hell." Lina stalked out of the shop, Zelgadis at her heels. She knew very well that M'kael would be true to his word. M'kael was good friends with Lina's father, and would most likely let him know that his youngest daughter was back in town. After that… well, as they say, you can run but you cannot hide. The hounds of hell would be on her trail faster than she could say "Fireball!"

"You certainly were rude to Vinn's father," Zelgadis commented quietly. He scooped up Kurayami, who ran head first into Zelgadis's feet with an obscenely large rat hot on his trail.

"He deserved it. I've known M'kael all my life. We would never have gotten out of this city alive if we didn't stop by… home… and my father caught wind of it."

"Alive?"

"Well, he wouldn't kill us, so to speak… Argh, if Luna's home I'm in more trouble than I thought. Just kill me now, Zel. Please. Death can't be any worse than going back there."

"Surely it's not that bad…" Zelgadis trailed off at the dirty look Lina was giving him. She stomped away without any further explanation.

***

The house loomed large and sinister, causing Lina to swallow hard and take a step back. To anyone else, the house looked friendly and warm, with lights in all the windows and servants happily going about their jobs. However, Lina knew what awaited her across the threshold.

"Don't worry Lina, I'm right here with you," Zelgadis said, gently grasping Lina's arm and steering her back. Lina was grateful for the support and didn't pay the slightest attention as the hand on her arm moved to the small of her back. With a small push, Zelgadis sent Lina stumbling forward on the path to the front door.

Lina sent up a prayer and continued of her own free, albeit forced, will.

"Is that Mistress Lina?" a servant woman asked another as they crossed Lina's path and stared at her. The other woman dropped her basket of laundry and gaped.

"Why, I do believe it is!"

"Mistress Lina! Mistress Lina!" Attention was drawn to Lina like a moth to a flame as all the servants saw her walk up to the house. The shouts began in earnest. Zelgadis noticed the way Lina's jaw was set in a stubborn line. He doubted she heard any of the callings. Her mind focused, she stomped up the steps and reached for the door handle. Zelgadis did not move more than a foot away from her. He was a reassuring presence behind her.

The door flung open of its own accord, causing Lina to flinch and back up a step, right into Zelgadis. Neither of them moved. A large shadow filled the doorway, blocking out almost all the light from within.

"Lina Inverse, welcome home."