Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Egg ❯ Discovery ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Slayers, I just have Zelgadis trapped in a clay vase where I keep him close to me…and he can't get out!

Egg

Zelgadis

I've been traveling for 3 weeks now on some stupid lead Xellos gave me and it's come to nothing! NOTHING! Next time I see him I shall positively murder him. I wondered why in the world I had thought to follow him in the first place.

Conversation

"Zelgadis…I've heard of a cure…" Xellos taunted.

"Not again damnit!" I said, "Not again…shut up, would you?"

"But this time it's legit…not like all my other leads weren't legit, but just not legit for your case…" he said.

"I am going to bash your head in…" I started and made my way towards him.

"Wait…at least hear me out!" he said and then teleported out of reach into a tree.

"I suppose you're going to tell me just to tell me then, right?" I asked, and to myself muttered, "Whether I like it or not…"

"Okay then, but only because you asked. There's a village that dedicates itself to the studies of Alchemy. You know, Earth, Air, Water and Fire," Xellos said and I sighed, this was getting my nowhere.

"Why do you think I'd be interested?" I asked.

"Because there they are experts at changing their shapes, from human to whatever shape they choose!" he said with that usual smile of his.

"Shape shifters…so what does that have to do with me?" I asked, momentary interest perked, even then as I prepared a small spell to knock him from his perch.

"Well, I've heard they've taught others how to shape shift as well, from their human or non human forms…" he said, "And they probably could teach you how to become human."

"Shape shifting isn't a permanent solution!" I said and chucked a fireball at him. Of course he dodged it and appeared before me.

"It isn't, but maybe their studies have found a way to make it permanent…" Xellos said, "It's a city to the north. Follow my advice or not…"

"What the hell is the name of this city?" I asked.

"Did I leave that part out? Oh, I'm sorry…" Xellos said mockingly, "It's called the…what had they said it was called again? Oh that's right, Alchemy Village, duh!"

"And why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"That is a se-cr-et!" he said and disappeared as quickly as he had come.

End Conversation

That's right…he got my curiosity picked up. I was getting nowhere though! 3 weeks, that is how long I've been traveling, and although there have been many towns and taverns along the way, nothing even remotely called Alchemy Village!

"Xellos, next time I see you, I won't stop attacking you until you are dead…" I whispered and then noticed the sunlight gleaming off of a stone. It looked almost golden! I made my way over, forsaking my plan of revenge over newfound curiosity.

"This isn't a stone…this is an egg!" I cried as I saw the shape and felt the texture. What would an egg be doing out here in a place like this? People just don't go abandoning eggs, do they? I gulped; this one could be a cursed egg. But it looked safe…and it was still warm.

"What kind of egg could this be?" I asked myself, noticing it was larger than most eggs I had seen in my travels. I picked it up and held it close to me, whatever was in it was still alive. I took off my cape and wrapped it around the egg. It wasn't gold, but it did have a hue to it that made it look so in the sun, but it looked mostly green to me, at least, up close it did. Why would anyone abandon an egg, especially one that was still carrying something inside of it?

"Well, I guess I can take it with me," I said to myself with a sigh, "Maybe I'll find whoever it belongs to or its mother…" The egg seemed to warm under me when I put my hand upon it. It was lucky; no one could be prejudice to what it looked like until it hatched. I wondered what it would be.

"Why did I ever let Lina tell me curiosity was a good thing sometimes…" I said and added, "Why did I listen?" I held the egg closely and resumed traveling on the road, holding it close to keep it warm. I gulped again, if it hatched, would I be the mommy?

New Town

I arrived at the tavern in the next village very quickly and ordered a meal to be sent up to the room I stayed in. I set the egg down on the bed, letting it rest against a pillow while I ate. I wondered when it was going to hatch, if at all. It was so helpless in this stage of life, wasn't it? Whatever existed inside that egg needed someone to protect it and that someone just happened to turn out to be me. I sighed again, I was becoming attached and I've only had the egg for just the afternoon! It looked so peaceful… Did eggs sleep and wake up or did they just rest until they were ready to be born? Whatever was in the egg now it was going to hatch and be big, I mean, the egg was really huge! I had decided though, to name it Leaf. It was a greenish egg and I could always hide it if I needed to in leaves or grass…what was I thinking? Naming an egg that I didn't know what was inside of it waiting to hatch!

"I am a hopeless case…" I said, mostly to myself, "I'm involved now…" I had done it, I had named it and I was attached.

"Leaf," I murmured as I touched the egg, "So long as you aren't going to kill me off the second you hatch, I guess I'm taking care of you from now on…" Lina was never going to let me hear the end of this, was she?

TBC

A/N: This is mostly a Zel inclusive fic. If you do like it and you wanna read more, let me know, okay? If you read it thus far and don't like it, don't bother telling me such. You read the title and summary and if you didn't like it then that's your own fault, you were curious enough to read this so there! Other than those rants, have fun reviewing! (Keep any flames rated G-PG if you truly, overly feel you shall not be satisfied without flaming me okay?)