Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Egg ❯ I decide ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Zelgadis, I wish I did though… he, he! (Don't own the song either…)

I decide

Okay, so I'm carrying this egg, this really big egg, it's bigger than my head and I feel like everyone is watching me. Okay, so maybe I do look like a shady character with the hood and mask I wear, but this egg makes me look ridiculous! I sighed as I left the town; I hoped it wasn't something ridiculous when it hatched.

Don't think that you can tell me what to think

I'm the one who knows what's good for me

The woods were oddly quiet today, but I found that fortunate. It wasn't the easiest thing traveling with an egg as big as this one. What would I do if I had to fight someone? Or more so, what if Lina or someone I knew showed up how is it I should explain where I was going and why I had the egg? If I told them I was keeping it out of curiosity, I'd get an earful, and if they found out I was attached, I would get more than an earful and become the laughing stock. What would Zolf or Rodimus say if they ever knew I was caring for an egg? I already Lina would never let it drop…

"I, Zelgadis Graywords have changed…I am officially what people would call a mother hen," I spoke to no one in particular.

And I'm stating my independence

Gonna take the road I'm gonna take

"Hey, look what we have here?" a voice asked. Damn, highwaymen... this early in the morning too…

"Looks like that guy's got a big egg…wonder what it is?" a second voice joined the first.

"Could be valuable," another voice joined.

"…" I stared forward as I felt a group of men surround me. How could I fight while I was holding the egg?

"Maybe he's making a delivery…" the first voice said, "Hey delivery boy, hand over the egg and whatever goods you have and maybe we'll let you live…" Maybe? That was all I got, was a maybe?

"I think you've picked the wrong guy to mess with," I said, "There is no way you are getting this egg…"

And I'm gonna make my own mistakes

It's my life

I decide

I contemplated the strategies I had while holding onto the egg. I could fireball them, holding the egg in one hand while jumping, but the egg could slip. I could run…but I wasn't about to do that…I knew I could defeat the. What else could I do? I could drop the egg, fight and hope one of them doesn't make away with it during the fight, but that was out of the question. I found it first, it was MY egg. Okay, I was attached…I sighed…I was attached and protective…what next…more motherly?

"So then I guess we'll just have to take it by force?" the second guy asked and they enclosed on me. I opted for option number 1. I prayed my grip would hold and I leapt, taking the egg under on arm and sending out a flurry of fireballs at the highwaymen.

I decide how I live

I decide how I love

I kept a firm grip and as soon as I landed some distance away I checked to make sure I hadn't harmed Leaf. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, it was okay, and that was all that mattered.

"Thank goodness," I whispered and looked towards the men to asses damages. Well, they were all knocked out or otherwise dead or very badly burned. I went up to each one and picked their pockets. They attacked first…I was just helping myself to the spoils….I was starting to sound like Lina. Hmm…a decent amount of coin was all that I found, oh well, at least it was something.

"Hey, hey, get back here! Who said we were finished!" shouted one of the lesser burned men.

"Do you really want me to burn you all again?" I asked turning around with a gleam in my eye. The man looked at me and then turned around and ran. I smiled inwardly; no one was that unreasonable as to want another fireball attack. I resumed my search, the search for the village, Alchemy Village. I was going to kill Xellos, seriously make him suffer if he was misleading me. I cradled the egg near to my chest and pondered my options. I could give up on the lead I was on now for my cure and try to find the eggs true home…wait, I was attached…scratch that.

I could continue on in what seemed like a fruitless search or I could go find Lina and the others and see if they were up to anything. I opted for the seemingly fruitless search.

Choice is mine

And no one gets to make my mind up

I decide

I decide where I go

What I need

What I know

I'm the one who's running my life

I decide

I decide

At least I'd continue until I found out what was in this egg, if there really was anything at all inside of it. I had come this far as well, and if it really was out there, and I gave up now…it would have been a waste to just give up. So, I continued walking on.

"Hey Leaf," I said, "At least don't hatch until I make it to the inn tonight…" How'd I get stuck with this again? Oh yeah, curiosity…

Don't think you're ever gonna hold me down

Couldn't do it then can't do it now

I started a fire to cook some lunch and set the egg beside it as I went to gather more firewood. I stayed close though, making sure I could see Leaf at all times. Leaf was really helpless and I had to make sure no one took it. The fire would keep it warm to, as I was eating. But what was I going to eat? I had fish yesterday for lunch, I felt like catching a rabbit or something…fish two lunches in a row sounded less appealing. Either that or I didn't eat and just rested a moment. There was a rustling in a nearby bush and I made my way to see what it was. AHA! There was a rabbit inside of it, and it darted past me. How was I going to catch it? I sighed and darted after it as fast as I could, but it seemed to be faster than me, which was saying something.

I'm kickin' down all the fences

I'm gonna do it all and do to much

"Alright, alright," I said letting out a tired sigh, "I'll have fish again…" I couldn't get the rabbit so I opted for the fish, the need to get back to make sure Leaf was alright. I ran back to the small fire and saw Leaf was still there.

"Thank goodness," I murmured and sat down and put it into my lap, "So, what are you? Are you a dragon, a serpent, a bird…what will you become Leaf?" It seemed to vibrate a little underneath where I place my hand. Not vibrate, more like it…how do I put it, kicked? That worked, so there was something inside of it and it kicked. Maybe that was a foot, or if it was a hand then it would be a punch, wouldn't it? Did that mean it was a human inside of this egg? How ridiculous…but maybe…

"Does this mean you're close to hatching?" I asked it and then looked away. Good God I was talking to it. Any moment now and I'd use that voice I'd heard some people use around little babies and puppies.

And if I mess the whole thing up

It's my ride

I decide

I headed towards the stream, leaving the egg for another moment and began to fish. The water held a lot of them, and I didn't have any trouble catching some for me to eat. I walked back to the fire, fish in hand, ready to spit them and get them cooked and Leaf was gone…gone!

I decide how I live

I decide who I love

"Levitation!" I shouted and brought myself up above the trees, where was Leaf? Who had taken my egg? I couldn't see beneath the trees too well, not from being up high where I was, but I needed to find it. I was panicking…Leaf was gone, someone stole it. What were they going to do, roast it and try to make the biggest dish of scrambled egg? There! Movement! I landed on the ground and made my way in the direction of where I had seen movement. I saw Leaf! It was being carried off by this one guy; at least 4 other men were with him.

"Won't the boss be pleased when we bring back this find," one of them said, "We're going to be rewarded!"

"We all know how the boss loves his eggs," another added in and they laughed. I clenched my fists; if they hurt Leaf I would kill each one of them a thousand times over. I couldn't attack the right now, I might hurt the egg.

"Maybe it'll hatch into a pet we can use for amusement!" the one carrying the egg said. I growled and put my hand on my sword. How dare they say such things about my egg! I followed closely behind, making sure they didn't see me and they came up to a cave. I sighed, how typical…a cave. They went inside and I watched the guards for a moment. They didn't look to bright…I could take them out and go after the egg. Wait, best not to make much noise or kill anyone just yet…I had to remain as unnoticed as possible…

Choice is mine

And no one gets to make my mind up

I decide

"Sleep!" I said and made both the guards fall into an enchanted slumber. That was easy enough. I ran inside on what I hoped was silent footing. I had this egg for what, almost just a day now? I had already lost track of it, what kind of a parent would I make? (Good god, I was considering myself a parent…)

I decide where I go

Where I sleep

Who I know

I heard laughter further in and I slowed down and noticed light up ahead. They had better not do anything to my egg; I would…oh the things I would do…

"This is some find!" a deep booming voice yelled, "Where did you come by it?"

"Found it near an abandoned fire!" a voice replied, "Don't worry though; we put the fire out for whoever abandoned it!" More laughter followed that.

"What do you think it is boss?" another voice asked.

"I don't know," the booming voice replied and I found myself peering over a rock to glance at what was going on. The egg was at some man's feet, he was sitting in a big chair, so he obviously must be the boss. I gritted my teeth, how was I going to get it?

"Think it'll hatch?" one of the men asked.

"It looks tasty," another added in and the boss laughed loudly.

"Yes it does…who wants this for dinner?" he asked, and I glared at him, knowing he didn't see me but I was furious. There was a cheering that went round the group of bandits and the boss leaned forward and picked up the egg, handling it roughly. That was it that was all I could take!

I'm the one who's runnin' my life

I decide

I decide

"Fireball!" I shouted and torched the guys closest to me. The boss noticed me and made his way to an exit.

"What are you waiting for men, get that intruder!" he shouted and I kicked into the first guy that came at me and drew my sword. The fight ended quickly after that and I made my way after the boss. How much could happen in one day?

"Hand over the egg and I'll let you live!" I cried.

"What's it worth to you?" he asked with a sneer.

"You're life!" I yelled and ran forward, kneeing him and grabbing the egg. I backed up towards the exit and aimed a spell.

"What are you doing?" he cried as I ran through my incantation.

"RAW TILT!" I shouted and slammed the ground with all the force I could muster. The cave began to collapse from the sheer force of the spell and I dashed out of there, holding onto the egg as hard as I could.

I'm taking my own chances

And I'm finding my own answers

I'm only answering to me

And that's the way it's gonna be

I decide

Oh yea

I decide

I decide

"Thank…huff…goodness…" I said when I was at a safe distance, "I…huff…got back…got your back…Leaf…" I held it closely for a moment, and then I set it down and began examining it for any signs of damage it may have received at the hands of those bandits. It looked fine, and I sighed with relief. Wait…what was that on its side? CRACK! It had a small crack in it!

"Oh no, no…" I said and looked at it fiercely, "What do I do about it now?" I touched it gingerly. Maybe I should put a paste on it or something. One crack…whatever was inside of the egg could end up with a deformed hand of something now! I had failed to protect it! I felt it wiggle a bit; it seemed alright, but a crack? I made up a paste of some herbs I found nearby, I wasn't about to let infection or some disease sink into my egg.

"It'll be alright Leaf," I spoke softly, not knowing if it could hear me or not. Okay, I was starting to talk to the egg…as if it could understand…

I decide how I live

I decide who I love

Choice is mine

And no one gets to make my mind up

I decide

I could see the next village up ahead. A small village thankfully, hopefully the tavern would have room for me for the night. I wasn't going to spend any nights in the woods if I could help it, partially due to the fact Leaf might get stolen again.

I decide where I go

Where I sleep

Who I know

I'm the one who's runnin' my life

I decide

I decide

I set down Leaf on the bed again and dug into the food I had sent up. The crack was firmly covered, and the egg wiggled occasionally as I ate. I wondered if that meant it was close to hatching or if whatever was inside it was restless.

I decide how I live

I decide how I love

Choice is mine

And no one gets to make my mind up

I yawned…I could stand to get to sleep. I didn't know what would be in for me tomorrow and I figured protecting the egg would be top priority again, it's not like that it wasn't in the first place for me, seeing as how I was attached to the egg. Let Lina laugh if she ever found out, it was my egg, I found it… Let them laugh… Leaf, I wonder what you'll be…

I decide

TBC

A/N: Special thanks to the reviewers of the previous chapter! I hope you like this one just as much, I had lots of fun writing it!