Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Dream for a better future ❯ A storm and a dream ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Dream for a better future

By: Dark fire angel

Dark angel: Hiya! How's it going? Fine I hope, oh! By the way, thanks for the lovely reviews I'm getting on my fics! I'm real happy! *Hugs all of her reviews as she sighs happily* As you liked `Dark and light as one' I've decided to post this idea I came up with while I was in chemistry class *Sweatdrops and looks nervous* Hum… yeah, I know, I should have been paying more attention to the teacher and all… but it was just SO boring I couldn't help it when my mind wondered off into happy-go-lucky land… -_- Anywaaaay, hope you like this as well, and don't forget to review please! `K? ^0^ (By the way, Satan, if you happen to read this, don't you DARE call me short or small again, got it?! I'm NOT short! I'm not `bajita'!! If you ever call me that again, I'll borrow Filia's mace-sama and I'll take justice on my hands! Just you wait till I get a chance alone with you at school! I'll rip you apart! *wonders off murmuring something about how 1'70 meters is not short for a 17 year old girl*)

Disclaimer: Oh yeah… almost forgot about it… please don't make me say it! Please, I beg you!! PLEASE!!! …*Sighs and lowers her head, voice only barely above a whisper* No, I don't own them… none of them *sniff* I don't own the Slayers… *Runs off crying* BUUUAAA!! Life really is NOT fair! BUUUAAA!!

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

The day had been dark and rainy as the wind howled through the woods, trying its best to wreck the trees down with its mighty power, while rain began to sprinkle down from a cloud covered sky.

The storm had forced the Slayers gang to stop, not to mention take cover, at an Inn in the middle of the forest. Lina had hoped for a change for the better in the weather.... but no such luck, they were also forced to spend the night there, for it would have been quite uncomfortable to walk under such a storm.

After dinner, Filia retreated into her room, putting on for excuse that she was tired, and up to certain point she was, although it wasn't her real motive. Her retreat was due to the fact that HE had joined them after dinner... him and his annoying smile, him and his stupid mocks... him and his presence...

The dragon maiden heaved a sigh of resignation, while she changed into her pajamas, it wasn't going to help her to keep on thinking about Xellos, they belonged in different worlds, always had and always shall. Therefore, she tried to keep him out of her mind by watching the fearsome storm and rain come down with all their force.

The blond girl sat herself by the window and looked into the darkness of the forest as the rain dropped heavily down on the forest and smiled. She had always thought that rain was purifying, that was why she loved storms, although... she HAD come to believe that because of her elder's talks, and right now she wasn't so sure about their beliefs anymore.

They had told her that rain purified the earth's soul by taking all evil away from it for a short time, but... why was it that rain sometimes ruined beautiful places by flooding them? Why did rain sometimes even kill the crops humans grew? That wasn't purifying, now was it? More like a method of destruction.

Everything took her back to the beginning... there was no good without bad, and no bad without good, there had to be some kind of balance somewhere, there just had to be, right? Right?!

She shook her head as she continued to watch the rain fall, and then, a comparison jumped into her brain. Her elders... her race... they could actually be compared to a heavy rainfall, huh? They tried their best to do what they thought was right, they tried to purify everything... and because of it, FOR it, they had annihilated a whole race... a whole race of innocents were killed in order to maintain what according to the Gold ones, was peace.

Filia heaved another sigh as she stood up and headed towards bed, "Life is just not fair, I guess..." she said in a low voice, unaware that the shadows of the room actually seemed to move with a life of their own, "I will never be able to have what I want most, and others will not be able to learn the truth about life, though... I shouldn't think about it," she stopped as she looked up at the ceiling, where the light of the small wax candle that stood on her side table, played beautiful orange and yellow patterns, that seemed to melt with the darkness of the shadows of the room, "Don't worry, be happy, that's what everyone says… and up to a point, I think that's a wise thought," she continued talking her thoughts, as if she were directing her speech to someone in particular, "And I'll even admit that you and me, were a miracle… aren't we?"

The Golden dragon smiled as she putt out the light of the candle and slipped inside the warm covers of her bed, `Miracle…' was her last thought before she fell asleep.

After a bit of time, the shadows of a far off corner of the room suddenly seemed to come alive, as a dark figure stepped out of them. His long purple hair covered his eyes, and his face was expressionless as he walked towards the sleeping form of the dragon maiden, staff in hands.

Xellos looked close at the blond girl and half smiled as he reached and brushed a few locks of golden hair that fell over her face, "Miracle indeed, Fi-chan… miracle indeed…" he said as he lowered himself and planted a soft kiss on her forehead, "Hope your dreams allow you to continue seeing things as clear as you do now."

The purple haired mazoku, smiled again as he retreated back into his shadows and flashed out of her room, only to reappear in his own, staff clutched tight as he neared the bed to sit down. He turned around and willed his light to turn itself off before lying down on the bed and closing his eyes <Yeah, yeah, I know, I know… he always has his eyes closed, but here I mean COMPLETELY closed, `k ^-^> in an attempt to fall asleep and escape his problematic thoughts, but little did he know, that the night still had things to show…

In little time, he began to dream… a dream he could not escape as darkness overtook him and he once again relived the feel of the battle field in which he was completely vulnerable for once. Corpses lay around him, and the fallen one attacked him in an attempt to take justice by their hand… the same dream each night, the same one over and over again, and he knew he wouldn't be able to escape the dream… never be able to win this war against himself.

He closed his fists and looked around till a faint light caught his eye, a light that had never been there before, and as he neared it, he was able to make out the shape of a blond haired girl, who with each step she took towards him, seemed to purify the darkness around them.

The blond smiled as she lifted a hand towards him, light still surrounding her and making it difficult for him to tell who she was. However, all he knew was that he felt obliged to lift his own hand as well till they met, and the moment they did so, the darkness around them was replaced by a hazy grey surrounding as their auras fused.

"We can always dream for a better future… don't you think?" she asked him as she neared him and captured his lips with hers in a kiss so delicate that it would have made an angel jealous, "Never give up, keep on trying, and who know? Maybe the dream will come true."

Her smile and her last words were the last things Xellos saw or heard before he woke up; finally in peace with himself…

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

After the storm, inevitably came the calm, and the Slayers gang met downstairs to eat breakfast before continuing their voyage; Gourry and Lina dived for the food, while poor Amelia sweatdropped and tried in vain to calm them for enough time to be able to grab food of her own as Zelgadiss and Xellos drank a coffee and some tea respectively.

The last member of the crew came down the stairs, smile on her face and humming some little song as she seated beside Amelia and in front of Xellos, pouring herself a cup of tea as she smiled at the people surrounding her.

"Hey there Fi-chan, good mood you're in today, now aren't you?" asked the mazoku as he smirked in attempt to tick her off and get her to bring mace-sama forth, however, the girl's mood seemed unbreakable as she coked her head to one side before smiling up at the purple haired priest and nodding, "Why yes," she said, "I had a beautiful dream yesterday night, and from now on, I've decided to dream for a better future."

Xellos' eyes snapped open on hearing said phrase before shaking his head and chuckling quietly, "A miracle we are indeed…" he finally said as he lowered his lips to his cup to take another sip of tea.

The dragon maiden seemed stunned for a moment, but it didn't last long, for she again smiled before taking a sip out of her own cup… `Miracle…' she thought to herself as she drank.

Dark fire angel: Ufff, yet another one finished… you know? The dream was actually quite difficult to write out, so I'd really, REALLY appreciate if you'd tell me how the fic was, so review please! `k? Bye!!... For now…