Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Honto no Koi ❯ Deai ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Slayers, got that?

A/N: Romances should be slow, steady, have trials and tribulations…true love, once in a century, that century have passed, a new one has begun!

“Traveling, traveling… together we are traveling…” Amelia sang. I glared at her and Lina looked ready to fireball Amelia.
“No more!” Gourry moaned, “Please, where’s the silence when you need it?”
“I agree,” I said and walked ahead of the group, “Just because we’re traveling together does not mean you can act as you usually act Amelia. I thought you said you grew up!”
“Mr. Zelgadis!” she said and ran in front of me, “Sir, I disagree entirely, a song is just what we need right now, you all seem so depressed! And I have grown up!” I sighed and glanced at the woods. The bushes seemed to be nothing yet I felt a presence of wind. Lina and Gourry were looking in that direction as well. Amelia seemed to be the only one that sensed nothing odd.
“Someone’s coming!” Lina said and as soon as she finished that statement, a girl flew out of the bush and crashed into Lina. I watched the two of them tumble backwards and the girl immediately picked herself up and took a few nervous steps away.
“Are you okay?” she asked, her voice soft, “I’m terribly sorry; I couldn’t see where I was going!”
“I’m fine, I guess. Why were you running so fast anyways?” Lina asked, picking herself up as well. We all headed over to them to make sure nothing was wrong.
“I was trying to escape a pair of trolls,” she said and smiled, looking at each one of us in turn. When she came to my eyes, she tilted her head as if to gauge me.
“Do you have some sort of problem?” I asked irritably, hitching up my hood in an unconscious gesture.
“No, not at all,” she said, “My name’s Cat by the way.”
“My name’s Lina, Lina Inverse,” Lina introduced, offering her hand, “The guy in the blue armor is Gourry and Zelgadis is the one with the hood. Amelia is spunky one.” Cat shook Lina’s hand.
“Pleased to meet you,” she said, “Thanks, I should be getting back to camp. I don’t want to let dinner burn…” I heard Amelia’s stomach growl at the mention of food.
“That’s right; it’s still a ways to town…” Lina said and her stomach growled in response.
“Would you like to join me?” Cat asked and then I realized that we didn’t even help her, the trolls were nowhere in sight.
“We’d love to!” Lina exclaimed, “We’ve been traveling for a while now and we probably didn’t realize were hungry until you brought it up!” When did I mention I was hungry and then I heard my own stomach growl…my body betrays me.
“You’re always hungry,” I pointed out.
“Well, follow me,” Cat said and brushed past me to head back into the bushes. Lina quickly shot after her and Amelia and Gourry followed. I didn’t trust her, but as everyone was going, I’d go to make sure no one fell into her trap. Whatever it was.

“Ummm…YUMMY!” Lina said getting up to dish up some more soup, “This is really good stuff!”
“Thank you,” Cat replied. I cautiously sipped my soup. She seemed harmless enough and the cooking was very good, not that I’d admit it right out. She had a brown/reddish mare that was grazing near a cart of her goods, mostly cooking gear by the looks of it.
“That’s a lot of gear,” I commented. Cat turned to me.
“Well Zel, I’m on a long journey returning home,” she said, “And I love to cook.”
“And you really have skill!” Lina said, eating quickly. Cat seemed to have come up with nicknames for me already and the reason behind that was beyond me. Why did she, I mean, did she think I considered her a friend?
“Where are you returning to?” I asked.
“My village,” she replied simply and pointed in a direction, “is a little while that way.”
“The name, I was only asking for a name,” I said dryly and her smile faded.
“Oh, sorry, It’s a really difficult name to pronounce,” she said.
“Is it really that bad?” I asked.
“Yes…but I guess you can call it Umi no Ryu,” she said and looked towards the fire, “At least that’s the simple translation.”
“Dragon of Water,” I said softly and the smile returned to her face.
“But I have a problem…” she said.
“What is it?” Lina asked and I glared at her. Now we were getting involved in whatever it was, because Lina just guaranteed it.
“I have to go through one of the worst forest. To go around would take more time and be safer, but I have to get home quickly,” Cat explained, “It’s said that place has darkness in it but there’s a treasure there that few can wield.”
“Treasure?” Lina asked, getting excited. I sighed, Lina and the mention of treasure…now for the killer…
“Are you treasure seekers?” Cat asked.
“Something like that,” Lina said, “Haven’t you heard of me at all?”
“Lina Inverse was it?” Cat asked, “Um…let’s see…oh! You’re the bandit killer!”
“Is that the only thing you’ve heard?” Lina asked with a peevish note in her voice.
“Nope, don’t think so!” Cat replied, “But you’re a powerful sorceress then, right?” Oh god, here it comes, the plea for help and the promise of treasure.
“Yeah,” Lina said setting down her bowl.
“Would you help me get through the woods?” Cat asked and I lowered my head in a heavy sigh, “I can pay you for your time…”
“Let’s see…prospect of treasure…paid…she doesn’t have rumored preconceptions about other things but the bandit killer part…” Lina muttered mostly to herself, but it was clear everyone else heard her too, including me, “She does know how to cook too…that’s always a plus…”
“Lina, what’re we going to do?” Amelia asked, “It’s obvious she needs some help.”
“I’ll do it!” Lina shouted and Cat jumped up and smiled broadly.
“Thank you so much!” she exclaimed, “With you helping me, I’ll be able to get back to my village in no time!” Lina say down again and I sighed. Sure, we were heading in the same direction and everything…but never mind…
“So what’s the pay?” Lina asked. Of course she’d get down to business. Cat stood up and went to her cart, and began to dig through what looked like odds and ends of various pots and pans. She eventually drew out a case; it was longer than it was wide. She brought it over to the fire and opened it up taking out a sheathed sword.
“Wha?” I asked, looking hard at the jeweled hilt and silver lined sheath. Lina’s eyes sparkled but Cat set the sword to the side and drew out a bag from beneath were the sword was.
“This,” she said and opened the bag. It had gold and gems inside of it. Lina’s eyes went wide and she laughed.
“Lucky me!” she said, “So, when do we leave?”
“In the morning of course,” Cat replied.
“Hold on a minute, not everyone is in agreement!” I said.
“You don’t have to come,” Gourry pointed out.
“Mr. Zelgadis?” Amelia asked with a worried note in her voice. I almost said no just because I wanted to get away from Amelia.
“I didn’t mean it like that!” I exclaimed.
“Then what did you mean?” Lina asked.
“Never mind,” I said, “I’m going to sleep…” I set down my bowl and headed off into the woods.
“Zelgadis…” Lina began, but seemed to reconsider what she was planning to say, “Goodnight.” I threw up my hood and walked a little ways away to a nearby stream. I was still in hearing distance though by the time I rested up against a rock. Cat…who was she?

Cat

Everyone was still asleep by the time I awoke. I only usually got 4 hours of sleep anyways, until I burned myself out and slept for a decent block of time. If I didn’t have it being my time of the month, I wouldn’t bother asking for help. I walked towards the stream to wash up and wake up for the day. When I got there, I saw a cloaked figure sleeping against a rock. Oh, it was Zelgadis; this was where he had slept for the night. I thought he was kind of cute, maybe even handsome…listen to me! I was talking like a stupid woman.
“What are you doing up so early?” a voice asked from beneath the hood and I jumped.
“I’m just washing up,” I said and knelt by the water and splashed some on my face, “And I could ask the same to you.”
“Are you now?” he asked, ignoring my reply almost entirely, “Tell me, who are you really?” I looked up to see Zelgadis staring down at me. I dried my face off with my sleeve.
“What do you mean?” I asked, “Why do you seem so suspicious of me?”
“Because you said you were being chased by trolls and yet none appeared to be following you,” he said.
“I must’ve outrun them by the time I ran into Miss Lina!” I said with a slight blush. He took a step closer and I stood up. We were just inches away now. Wow, he was really kinda cute…but I didn’t think that was the right word…I couldn’t find any others right now. Maybe more like hot…but I think…his personality was something different entirely.
“Who are you?” he asked, staring down at me. I was fighting the urge to see if his hair was smooth, like wire or whatever it was. I took a step back.
“My name is Cat,” I said calmly, trying my best to meet his gaze, “I’m a traveler.”
“I find it hard to believe you’re just a traveler,” he said, “You only slept for 4 hours.”
“I don’t need much sleep,” I defended and put my hands on my hips, “You didn’t sleep much either.”
“Hey, is there any breakfast coming or do I have to catch it?” Lina asked loudly, interrupting the conversation. I smiled at Zelgadis and turned back towards camp, tugging at my shirt a bit. Zel’s gaze stayed upon me, I knew that much.
“I’m not forcing you to come. Lina told me you only travel with her and Gourry occasionally,” I said over my shoulder and ran back towards camp. I half expected him to followed me and catch my arm and say something about how he’s gong to keep an eye on my and all that, but he oddly didn’t. He did look kinda cute, although I don’t think he saw himself that way.

TBC

A/N: Let me know what you think, do you like it, hate it? I always appreciate honest feedback! This is my first Slayers fic, and I’m having fun writing it. Please let me know what you think!