Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Inner Beings ❯ Chimeric Debate ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: The debate of Chimera Vs. Human and L-sama Speaks

IX. The Chimera/Human Debate

There were now three days until the ball and until Zel's spell wore off. Lina called Zelgadis, Amelia, and Gourry to the dining hall. Lina, Mazolina, Kollina, and Luna were already waiting for them there. When the trio arrived, they were surprised at the set-up that they saw before them. To the left of the door, there was a long table with three chairs facing the right wall. On the right side of the door, there was an equally long table with four chairs facing the left wall. There was about ten feet between the tables.

Zelgadis asked the question first. "Lina, what's all this about?" Sighing, Lina pointed to the wall directly in front of them and said, "Can't you read?" On the wall, there was a white sign with large red ink that read:

CHIMERIC DEBATE: Should Zelgadis be Human or Chimera?

Gourry tried to read the sign, but failed. "Umm, Lina? What does the sign say? I was trained to be a mercenary, so I never learned to read." Everybody face faulted at this, but Lina answered his question. With a small, 'Oh' Gourry asked another question, "Lina, are we supposed to sit down?" Mazolina nodded and pointed to the table with four chairs. "Starting from the chair closest to the door: Amelia, Gourry, Zelgadis, and Luna - sit down." The four did as they were told, and waited as Lina sat in the middle chair with Mazolina on her left and Kollina on her right. Lina started the debate.

"Okay, this is sort of like an organized argument. We three will go for Chimera Zelgadis and you guys will go for Human Zelgadis. Basically, try to think of and say the good points of your side. You know, the good things about Zelgadis being human. We'll do the opposite, the good things about Zelgadis being chimera. Ready? Okay, I'll start easy. I think Zelgadis should stay a chimera."

Gourry replied, "Why?"

Kollina stated, "As a human, he can barely protect himself, let alone his friends."

Zelgadis half-shouted, "But as a chimera, I don't have any friends."

All three on the opposing team shouted at him. "YOU DO TOO!!!"

Zelgadis was startled by this, and Lina continued in a slightly lower tone, "What do you call all of us? Gourry, Amelia, and ME! If we weren't your friends, we wouldn't help you in battle like you do for us, when we need it."

Amelia wanted to agree with Lina, but that wasn't the point of the debate. "If Zelgadis was human, he wouldn't have to go wandering anymore. Therefore, he wouldn't really need to protect anyone, if he settled in the right place." Zelgadis nodded in agreement.

Mazolina snarled back, "Oh, and where would that be, in the outer realm? Wherever he goes in this world, there will be monsters, trolls, bandits, thieves, and the like. Maybe the first two aren't as common in the outer realm, but the last two are abundant over there, as well as here. So where could Zelgadis possibly be able to go that he wouldn't need to protect even himself?"

Gourry spoke up slowly. "Uh, couldn't he move to Seyruun? It's a magical white-magic city right? And Amelia would be able to protect him there, wouldn't she?"

Mazolina crossed her arms grumpily and murmured. "Maybe, but a girl protecting her guy seems kind of lame, no? Oh well, you proved that point of it anyway. Now, why do you think Zelgadis should be human?"

Zelgadis leaned forward and answered, "As a chimera, I can't love anybody."

Kollina raised an eyebrow in amusement, crossed her arms, and leaned back. "Sure you could. You were 1/3 golem, 1/3 mazoku, and 1/3 HUMAN. You still had a human heart and a human body on the inside. You just had the exterior hard, rock coating of a golem and the strong powers of a mazoku. Therefore, you could still love, because all you need to love is a human heart and soul, which you have."

Zelgadis grimaced and sat back. Gourry took up the conversation again. "But as a chimera, Zelgadis-san was so cold and merciless. How could someone like that still love?"

Ignoring Gourry's observant skills, Lina replied, "That's his problem. He just acted that way because he wanted to find his cure so much. He tried to ignore everything that wasn't possibly related to it, and that was the result. However, since he met us, I believe he's had a slight change of heart. Am I right?"

Zelgadis mumbled, "Maybe, maybe not."

Lina continued, "Besides, isn't part of loving on the guy's part, the wanting to protect their love? If Zel loves somebody as a human, he wouldn't even be able to protect her. The girl would probably have a lot better chance of protecting him. That would just shame your male pride, would it not?"

Zelgadis quietly grumbled to himself. Lina was starting to prove her point.

Amelia thought of something, and went over to Lina to whisper something in her ear. Kollina and Mazolina were both still connected to Lina, and they also had super-good hearing, so they also heard what Amelia said. As if on cue, the three blushed simultaneously as Amelia finished saying what she needed to say. Slowly recovering, Lina replied, "Okay, Amelia. You're right. That would be really hard on whoever Zelgadis decides to love. I'll give you credit for that much. *Ahem* Now then, what else was there?"

Gourry and Zelgadis noted the trio's obvious blush, and decided not to question Lina's reaction. Luna finally spoke up. "Shouldn't you at least consider Zelgadis' personal happiness? If he wants to be human, then let him be. It's his own fault if he gets killed the moment he's alone."

Everybody looked at Luna questioningly, and sweatdropped. They all thought, "Isn't she supposed to fight FOR humans? Although, she does have a point." From under the table, Lina pulled out a small court hammer. "Okay, now to close this up. Zelgadis, what do you want to do?" The reply that came was slightly nervous, but then firm. "To stay human, of course." With a grim expression, Lina pounded the table with the hammer three times and stated in a booming voice, "Then so be it! For the rest of your small life, you will remain human. Never again shall you be anything but that. The debate is over. Now everybody go to their rooms. Kollina and I have work to do. LEAVE NOW!"

With that, everybody scrambled out of their seats and back to their respective rooms. Kollina went with Lina to her bedchamber. Once there, Kollina sat herself in the center of the room. Immediately, the circular rug underneath her moved aside, and revealed a white magical circle. Lina lit and spaced out 10 candles around the circle, and sat on the bed, watching to see what would happen.

Kollina closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and started moving her hands to form the special ceremonial summoning. In her mind, she slowly said the words to the spell. A minute later, a lone wind breezed through the room, extinguishing the candles. Then, an echoing female voice could be heard throughout the room, seemingly from up above. The Voice said, "What is it, my Knight?"

Kollina situated herself so that she was bowing (like how Xellos did to L- sama) with her head down. "L-sama, the one named Zelgadis wishes to become fully human. Can you take care of it now, or must the trial be carried out completely before then?"

After a momentary pause, the Voice replied, "I could do it now, but I don't think Zelgadis deserves to become human, just yet. I suppose he doesn't realize that being a chimera is for the best, for the moment. Maybe I should have you cast a Chaos Timewarp and send him to a possible future. Ha! Have him see himself dying before the one he loves, against an incredibly weak and cute-looking monster! Then he can see the girl dying an even more gruesome death by the same monster. Or better yet, have her taken and turned into a powerful monster! That would certainly bring upon more chaos in the world - the chaos that I so dearly love." *Sigh*

Kollina solemnly asked, "So should I cast one? I know how and can do it easily." "Hmm. No. Maybe another time. Just direct my spell at him. I'll have him become chimera, whenever he wants, for a total of five hours a day. The rest of the time, he can be human. That way, when he needs to, he can protect himself and other people, and can still have his happiness the rest of the time. But do not tell him any of that, let him discover it himself. Just say that the spell was meant to make him a human permanently. Oh, before I go, how are you Lina? You seemed kind of tipsy the other day."

Lina looked up and smiled. "Oh, I'm fine now. I was just having a burst of exhaustion from all three of them replying to Luna's question telepathically. Don't worry, I hope you are faring well up there, as well."

"All right, if you say so. Have fun, my little Lina! Don't forget to cause chaos and destruction to the world with your little pals and spirits! You just light up my day when you do! Well, farewell for now. I'll be watching you."

Suddenly, a bright flash of light encased the room, and as soon as it appeared, it disappeared. When Lina recovered from the light, she looked up to see Kollina, collapsing to the ground. Lina quickly went over to her and asked Kollina if she was alright. Kollina opened her eyes slowly and weakly replied, "I'll be fine, Lina-san. I think L-sama talked for too long this time. I just need some rest. Is it all right if I use your bed? Just until dinner." Lina smiled, nodded, and carried Kollina over to the bed. She tucked Kollina under the covers, and like a loving mother, kissed her on the forehead and said, "Sweet dreams, Kollina." With that, Lina left the room as Kollina drifted off to sleep.

After closing the door behind her, Lina sighed and thought to herself. "Now that that's over with, what else do I need to do? Of course! Invite Gracia to the ball and pick out two more dresses for Mazolina and Kollina. Hmm. No, I won't take Amelia, she might get emotional on me if she sees her long-lost sister. Okay, first things first, on to see Naga the retired Serpent. Haha." As she chuckled to herself, Lina once again made her way into town.



A/N: Sorry it took so long. I tried to make it good, really! Well, whether or not YOU think it's good is what's important. So do you like it? Oh btw. What are flamers? I know it has something to do with reviewing, I'm pretty sure it's not a praising review, I have an idea but I'm still not sure. Oh well. Please review!