Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Inseparable ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inseparable

Chapter 3

"So that's it," Zelgadis drummed the fingers of his free hand nervously on Prince Phil's desk. Phil hadn't taken his eyes off of the chimera's unfree hand. Zel got the distinct impression that a significant part of Phil's brain was seriously considering breaking his oath of 'pacifism', taking Zel's hand, forcibly removing it from Amelia's (and, for that matter, from his arm), and tossing it (and several other bits of chimera anatomy) off of the tallest tower in the castle.

"I see..." Prince Phil said. "You have the resources of Sailoon at your disposal to break this spell... as soon as possible."

"Certainly, Daddy," Amelia said cheerfully. "Between Zelgadis-san, the magical resources of Sailoon, and myself, I'm sure we can find out what happened." She tried to pose dramatically, forgetting Zel still had a hold of her hand and nearly knocked him out of his chair.

"I have faith in you, Amelia," Phil said. "Good luck."

After the two left Phil's office, Amelia started leading Zel to the castle library. "I thought I saw something that could relate in an old book..." she explained. Zel nodded. Amelia continued, "Wonder why Daddy was so upset? It's not like him."

"I should think that would be obvious."

"Excuse me?"

"Your father doesn't trust a grown man around his daughter -- especially one who is cursed to remain touching her. He thinks touching can lead to... well, other things." Zel blushed despite himself. Why does Amelia have his effect on me? It wasn't that she was female -- he has no objections to joking with Lina about the status of her and Gourry's relationship. What was so special about Amelia?

"I trust you, Zelgadis-san. You would never take advantage of a girl in this situation."

"It's not your trust that I call into question... oh, we're here." The two entered the library. Amelia immediately dragged Zel over to the shelves.

"Now let's see... where are the magic books again... hey! Look, Zelgadis-san!"

"Did you find something?"

"Um... no... I haven't read this book yet, and it looked interesting... Daddy must have ordered it for me." She handed him a paperback novel. "Ooh! I didn't know this was out yet! And this one looks good... have you read it?" She added a few more novels to the pile.

"Amelia, aren't the magic books towards the back?"

"But, Zelgadis-san! I haven't been here for a while. This will only take a few minutes, then we can check out the magic books."

Zelgadis sighed. "Amelia... this is important. I don't want to be stuck like this forever."

"You will just have to be patient, Zelgadis-san. We'll find it eventually."

"Don't be so blase about this -- it affects you too."

"It doesn't bother me. I can put up with some minor inconvenience."

"Minor inconvenience?" Zelgadis gave her an angry look and, were this a public library, would have been shushed by the librarian. "You know what? I think you like this!"

"What?" Amelia looked shocked.

"You like this. You like having me in this position..."

"Of all the unjust..."

"I thought you were different, Amelia," Zel was in full bitter angry angst mode now. "I thought you genuinely liked me and wanted to help me. I guess you're just another crazy fangirl starved for attention. They're like mazoku -- they feed off of angst, you know. If I wanted a fangirl, I would have taken up with Martina a couple of years ago."

"Martina-san..."

"Yes, Martina," Yes, Zel had resorted to pulling the jealousy string. "You know, she was putting on the whole 'Zelgadis-sama kawaii!' act the whole time I was in Xoana. I think..."

"Zelgadis-san, stop being a moron and trying to make me jealous and listen to me!" Amelia tugged on his hand nearly knocking him off balance. Zel started at her... he very rarely heard her insult someone who wasn't acting unjustly. Amelia continued, "Who do we know that is skilled with curses?"

"Martina!?"

"I was talking to her about a week or two ago. About you."

"What did you say about me?" Zelgadis looked interested.

"That you're a moron who doesn't even write. Remember, Martina-san is a romantic. She was always looking for her own Knight in Shining Armor, and after she found Zangulus-san... well, you saw the looks she was giving Lina-san and Gourry-san."

Zel considered this. It made a surprising amount of sense. "Well, there is only one thing we can do. We'll just have to go to Xoana and get Martina to break the curse. Even if she didn't cause it," his tone of voice made it clear he thought it unlikely, "she might have an idea on what did." He nodded and turned to leave the library.

"Um... Zelgadis-san?"

"I'm sure your dad will let you go... we'll have to head to your room to pack traveling supplies... what is it, Amelia?"

"I think I have to use the bathroom."

Zelgadis sweatdropped. I'm not going to need a cure -- Prince Phil will kill me first.