Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Lonely Too Long ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: A songfic written several years ago. I've pretty much outgrown my songfic writing stage, but I like this story. Whenever I manage to get my hands on the Slayers DVDs, I may rewrite this.

***

/Well good morning
Tell me how'd you sleep last night/

Zelgadis slowly opened his eyes, not immediately registering the weight on his shoulder. However, the silken hair tickling his face tipped him off that something was different. He turned to see Sylfiel, blinking slowly as she awoke.

/You're still smiling
So we must've done something right/

Images of the night before filtered into their heads. The initial contentment they'd both felt began to fade slightly.

/Don't feel guilty
Because you turned to me last night/

The night before had been Gourry and Lina's second anniversary. There had been something about the two of them so happy together, and the soreness still in Sylfiel's heart.

/We ain't done nothin' wrong
We've just been lonely too long/

Zelgadis, ever the loner, had tried to offer her some comfort. But the lights.. the wine.. their mutual loneliness.. One thing had led to another, and the next they knew, they were waking up together.

/No, we ain't done nothin' wrong
We've just been lonely too long/

How many times had he seen her with that longing look in her eyes? At the Gourry's wedding, she'd been so pale, white as a sheet, that he'd been sure she was about to faint. Somehow she'd stayed, and managed to congratulate Gourry, sounding to the untrained ear as if she meant it.

/It's only natural
When you've been too long in the dark/

And he.. In the many years since they'd met, Sylfiel had gotten to know him. She'd seen Zelgadis at his most depressed, seen the darkness in his heart the cheery Amelia couldn't comprehend. She only had a small inkling of what he must feel, a creature unlike any other on Earth, alone in this world.

/To look for comfort
And to warm yourself by the fire/

Looking back, neither of them were sure where it had started. But their lips had met in a soft gentle kiss. And all had seemed so right, to forget the pain and loneliness, if just for a moment. The moment had grown, and they'd lost themselves to their passion.

/We're just afraid
That we might get our fingers burned/

The silence grew uncomfortable. "Sylfiel.. I'm sorry." He picked up her shirt and handed it to her, wondering vaguely where his pants were. "I didn't mean for this to happen."

/But we ain't done nothin' wrong
We've just been lonely too long/

"I-it's all right," Sylfiel said, realizing she was laying on his pants. She shifted slightly and gave them to him.

/No, we ain't done nothin' wrong
We've just been lonely too long/

They dressed in silence, embarrassed though neither of them had anything the other hadn't seen. Sylfiel noted that he even went so far as to pull up his hood and mask.

/Nothing's wrong
That can't be cured with a new love/

Ackward as a boy asking for a first date, Zelgadis cleared his throat. "Would you like to get some coffee or something?" The warning lights going off in his head, he rationalized 'I can't just sleep with her and then leave.'

/All you need
Is someone like me to be sure of
To be your love/

"That would be nice," she replied, offering a tiny smile. They slowly went downstairs, noticing the main dining room where the party had been held was in shambles. Likely, the innkeeper was off trying to get restitution of out of Lina.

/I'll be waiting
Standing right outside your heart/

Zelgadis smirked. "Looks like Xellos got a bit carried away."

Quiet laughter. "I told Lina not to give him wine."

They walked into the kitchen, not bothering to look for a waitress this early in the morning. In a few moments, they were both drinking freshly brewed coffee, enjoying anintrospective silence.

/And I'll be watching
For the slightest sign of a spark/

They sat, stirring only slightly at Lina's threats of Xellos' impending death. Zelgadis brooded, drinking his coffee black. Sylfiel sweetened her coffee with a generous amount of creamer and sugar, pondering the new side she'd seen to Zelgadis the night before.

/And I'll be here
If you should want to turn to me/

The sounds in the inn grew as people awoke, and a bit later the first of the kitchen girls bustled in, making shooing motions in their direction. They obliged and drank the last of their coffee.

/'Cause we ain't done nothin' wrong
We've just been lonely too long/

As they finished and walked out into the dining room, Zelgadis spoke again. "If you ever need me for anything, just ask. I'm here for you."

/No we ain't done nothin' wrong
We've just been lonely too long/

They were accosted by Lina and Gourry, who were a bit anxious to be going, before the innkeeper jacked up the payment any higher. The two were accompanied by Amelia, annoyingly perky despite a night with little sleep, and a slightly hungover Xellos.

/We ain't done nothin wrong
We've both been lonely too long/

The group left, and soon arrived at a crossroads. They went their separate ways, off to their various destinations. Through the still morning air rang Sylfiel's voice, causing Zelgadis to turn and look back. "Zelgadis? Thank you." A deeper meaning hung in the air, and then the moment was gone, the travelers continuing on their way.

/Oh, just been lonely too long
Both been lonely too long/