Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ One Step Closer ❯ One Step Closer ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: One Step Closer

Rating: PG-13 for violence and mild swearing

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Slayers characters, although I'd love to have Xellos tied up in my closet. *evil smirk*

Author's note: This is a one shot, there will be no other chapters. Just something that got stuck in my head and wouldn't leave me alone.

******


He sat across the table, staring at the blonde dragon intently as he watched her sip her tea delicately. He liked the way she ate. It was so different from the others, as they chomped and guzzled, reminding him of pigs to a trough. No, he thought as Filia took another sip of tea, her slim pinkie pointed upwards. The way Filia ate, much like everything she did, betrayed a confidence and sense of dignity that was as much a part of her as that damn mace she carried.

Xellos winced as he remembered Mace-sama and it's bite. Yes, Filia could brandish that mace just as well she could her self-righteousness. He was sure that if it were possible for him to scar he'd have a modest amount of bodily evidence from the result of Mace-sama's wrath. Perhaps, if he'd stop angering her so often, he'd avoid getting beaten.

'Never...' Xellos thought with a grin.

Filia was his favorite person to tease; he couldn't help himself. Her rage and fury were more delicious than any other he'd ever tasted. It poured off of her in white-hot waves, more powerful than even Lina's strongest emotions. Her anger was as sweet as honey and as satisfying as he imagined a good night's sleep must be for a human. Being a Mazoku, he didn't need such weaknesses.

But he did have one weakness, and it was sitting right across from him. Filia intrigued him as much as she amused him. Angered him as much as she made him laugh. True, her emotions were most appetizing, but that damned superior attitude...

It truly pissed him off.

Every time she looked at him like he were nothing more than an insect to be squashed, he wanted to watch her bleed. When she called him things like her own personal favorite nickname, "Namagomi", it made him want to cut her and watch the skin give way, parting to reveal soft insides.

Just then Filia glanced up and caught him staring. Her eyes flashed quickly as she straitened in her chair, thinking it lent her an air of dignity. She glared at Xellos and he merely smirked, enjoying the waves of anger and frustration pouring off of her.

Filia sniffed disdainfully at him, hissing a baleful, "Namagomi!"

Xellos's smirk disappeared as hot fury shot through him. Again! She dared to call him that, again!

He glared at the golden dragon as she settled her long, flaxen waves around herself and continued with her meal as though nothing was wrong with insulting a powerful Mazoku such as himself. Didn't the stupid bitch know who she was dealing with?

Clenching his teeth and fists against the urge to throttle her, Xellos decided that it was time she be reminded.

******

Filia finished off her tea and bid the others, excluding Xellos of course, a good night and headed off to her room. They had had a long day of travelling, and had an even longer day ahead of them tomorrow.

Yawning lightly, Filia blinked sleepy eyes as she shut her door and turned into her room. She wandered over to the bureau, unbuttoning her dress with fumbling fingers as a result of her exhaustion. As she unfastened the first three buttons, a flash of Xellos' smirking face invaded her mind. Her eyes narrowed as she remembered his intent, slit-eyed stare directed at her during dinner. Filia hated it when Xellos stared at her, his eyes shuttered but still seeing. She hated herself more for letting him make her uneasy. She always felt so self-conscious when on the receiving end of that gaze.

"Stupid Mazoku..." she muttered, her hands drifting to the fourth button down on her dress.

"I wouldn't say such things if I were you, Ryuuzoku."

Filia gasped and started to whirl around, only to have a pair of strong arms wrap around her from behind, pulling her roughly back into contact with a hard body. A hand wrapped around her mouth and she struggled wildly, using every ounce of strength in her dragon body to try and break free of her captor. She was unsuccessful.

After a time, she grew tired from twisting and fighting against the stranger, and slumped back against the body she was being pinned to. Suddenly she found herself being thrown against a wall so forcefully that it knocked the wind from her lungs and left her gasping and aching. Before she had a chance to regain her breath and call out for help, the hand returned to her mouth. Filia choked as the combination of having her breath stolen and the sobs building up in her throat made it impossible for her to breathe. Her captor must have sensed this, because he removed his hand abruptly.

Filia took deep, shuddering gulps of air, unable to think past the need for oxygen. When finally she'd regained her breath, she suddenly remembered how she had come to be in this position to begin with, and prepared to scream.

But again the hand was back, covering her lips while another pressed into her shoulder, pinning her to the wall with such strength that she knew her mugger couldn't be human. Looking up sharply, she gasped against the hand covering her lips, fear flooding into her veins like ice water.

'Xellos!' she thought wildly. 'The Mazoku is finally going to kill me!'

Xellos grinned, eyes shuttered as usual, shaking his head. "I won't hurt you any more, Filia...yet. But you must promise me you won't scream when I move my hand."

Filia nodded jerkily, desperate to get away from the Mazoku. Xellos removed his hand from her mouth, but slid his other down from her shoulder and continued to keep her pinned to the wall by gripping her tightly around the waist. He raised his arm to settle his free hand to the side of her head, bracing himself against the wall. Filia's heart was racing with a combination of fear and anticipation.

When the fear began to subside, however, anger rushed through her in a tidal wave, making her muscles tense and her fists clench. Raising a hand to wipe at her lips where he had touched her, she spat on the ground, showing him what she thought of his touch.

"Get your hand off of me, Namagomi!" she shrieked at him, beginning to struggle once more.

She saw a quick flash of movement in her peripheral vision and squeezed her eyes shut, awaiting the blow of his hand across her cheek. A beat, and then another, and it did not come. Squinting, Filia's scared blue eyes met furious violet ones. She trembled slightly at the force of that gaze as she glanced at the still open-palmed hand no more than three inches from the side of her face.

He'd stopped. Why had he stopped?

Xellos was breathing harshly, seeming barely able to control himself. His hand clenched painfully around her waist, hard enough to bruise. His free hand went around her slender neck, squeezing tightly and lifting her against the wall. Filia made a small panicked noise in the back of her throat, her hands clawing at the fist around her neck as she began to choke.

Then, all at once, the hand around her neck left to bury itself in her hair, jerking her head back painfully so that she met his eyes.

"Never. Call. Me. That. Again." Xellos growled through gritted teeth, and pushed her away like a limp rag doll.

Filia slumped against the wall, sliding down until she met the hardwood floor. Her glorious golden hair was in wild disarray around her face, and an angry-looking red band stretched across her pale throat. As Xellos neared the door, Filia called out to him, her voice small and shrill, almost childlike.

"Xellos?"

He turned his head, his back to her, giving her his profile as he stared at the floor, refusing to look at her.

"Why didn't you hit me?" she asked quietly, fearfully, but still needing to know the answer.

Xellos didn't turn as he raised his deep violent eyes to meet her confused blue gaze.

"That is a secret." he murmured softly, a smile curving his lips slightly as he walked away from her, shutting the door quietly behind him.

******