Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Paint the Sky with Stars ❯ Meddlesome ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Paint the Sky with Stars - Chapter 4

Author: Yugure

Genre: Romance - Z/L

Rated: PG-13

Disclaimer: I don't own Zel, Lina, or any of the Slayers characters.

Author Notes: REJOICE! Not only do I have this chapter up, I have the entire rest of this story planned! My muse decided to kick me in the head today, thusly jumpstarting my cobweb-ridden brain, and I just slapped out the rest of the story in my notebook. I expect 12 chapters. Can you believe it? And each one of them already has a plot! I'm so happy, I could kiss my computer… Oh, and in this story Zelgadis has a little sister (Briar, who happens to be a character in something else I'm writing) and his parents (who don't belong to anyone, but they're weird so I can't really blame anyone). And I'm not 100% sure "oni-chan" means "big brother", but what the hey, I don't care, I'm just happy to have this chapter out.

Chapter 4 - Meddlesome

Zelgadis paused on the stoop in front of his parent's brownstone. He didn't want to go in. He really, really did not want to go inside. It wasn't that he despised his parents; rather, they were too domineering and he tried to spend as little time with them as possible. It was their life goal, it seemed, to rule Zelgadis's life and he was to be simply relegated to the role of puppet.

Nearby, a sparrow lighted on the ground and pecked at a few morsels left over from someone's bag of popcorn. A car roared to life a few houses down. An old man wandered down the sidewalk, mumbling under his breath the shopping list his wife had given him.

The world seemed so happy, so peaceful out here. Zelgadis stepped away from the stoop. Another day, he thought. Just not this day.

The sparrow took flight. Zelgadis began to walk away from the brownstone when the front door swung inward and a small body launched itself out of the house.

"ONI-CHAN!" the little whirlwind screamed, bowling over Zelgadis.

"Briar! Shouldn't you be in school right now?" Zelgadis asked as he stumbled back with his little sister's arms clamped tightly around his waist.

"Naw, it's an inservice day!" Briar lifted her head from Zelgadis's midsection and scrunched her nose. "Whatever that means."

Zelgadis laughed and ruffled Briar's head of unruly mahogany-brown hair. His little sister was only ten, and already she was exhibiting signs of a free spirit and strong will. If nothing else, it cheered Zelgadis to know Briar would give their parents hell when she reached her teenage years.

"Mom's in the family room," Briar informed her brother as they entered the brownstone. Zelgadis didn't see much choice in the matter; Briar would never let him leave now. "Can you take me to the zoo later?"

"I can't, Bri. I have a full day of classes today. I won't be able to stay long even now." Zelgadis silently thanked his lucky stars for that.

"Oh fine." Briar pouted, then smiled brightly. "Tomorrow maybe?"

"Sure. Tomorrow sounds great."

"Thank you, onichan!" Briar beamed up at him. She ran for the stairs, then suddenly paused on the first step. Without turning around, she said, "I hope you like her," and disappeared.

Like her? Like who? Zelgadis thought as he made his way to the family room. His mother hadn't said why she wanted him to visit today. That wasn't any reason to be nervous, however; she usually didn't have reasons for wanting him home.

Zelgadis entered the family room and wished he hadn't. He wished he was back outside, with the sparrow and the car and the old man. Because he suddenly knew why his mother called him over, even when she knew he had a busy day.

Elena Graywords stood up with a warm smile on her aged but beautiful face. Seated with her back to the door and facing Elena, was a young brunette lady. At Elena's rise, the young woman also stood up and turned to greet him. Elena rushed forward.

"There you are, my son!" she exclaimed, embracing Zelgadis. "Zelgadis, dear, this is Amelia Saillune. She's been waiting to meet you."

Zelgadis locked eyes with Amelia and watched in abject horror as a delicate blush lit up Amelia's cheeks. Yes, indeed, he did know why his mother requested him home…

Standing quite a bit shorter than he - and Lina, too, Zelgadis noted absentmindedly, - Amelia Saillune was a perfectly petite, adorable doll of a lady. Except… Zelgadis quickly brought his gaze back to Amelia's face. The image of her well-endowed chest burned in his brain. Scolding himself for even allowing his gaze to travel, Zelgadis stepped forward.

"Hello, Amelia," he said, shaking her hand gently. The smooth, birdlike hand felt warm but dry in his cold hands.

"Hello, Mr. Zelgadis," she replied, batting her large blue eyes at him innocently. The action somehow managed to be modest and inviting all at once. Her luxurious dark hair gleamed in the bright light of the room.

"Miss Amelia is the daughter of Philionel Saillune, head of Saillune Industries. Your father and Philionel are planning on a merger soon." Elena smiled at Zelgadis. Her eyes held things left unsaid, and those thoughts manifested in Zelgadis's brain.

He could tell, right from the beginning, that his parents were hoping to set him up with this girl. He didn't know why, at first, but his mother's statement gave him all the answers he needed. It was so like his father, Zelgadis wasn't the least bit surprised. If Zelgadis were to marry Amelia, it would bring the two families closer together, thus insuring a strong bond between Saillune Industries and Graywords & Co. It made Zelgadis sick to know his father was using him - and this girl, incidentally - to further his business.

"It was nice to meet you, Amelia, but I have to go." Zelgadis turned away from the crestfallen look on Amelia's face and glanced at his mother. "If I don't go now, I'll be late for class."

"I thought maybe you could take the day off and show Amelia the city. It's only her second time here, after all," Elena pressed. Zelgadis ignored the disapproving look she shot him.

"I would love to, really, but I can't miss today's classes." Zelgadis began backing out of the room. There was no way his mother was going to make him stay. "Goodbye, Amelia. Goodbye, mother."

"Zelgadis-" the protest died on Elena's lips as her son darted down the hallway, shouted "Gotta go! Later!", and disappeared into the world outside.