Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Prince Charming ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
 
When Hallos arose the next day, his head was pounding like someone was using it as a drum. Slowly, he dragged himself out of bed and headed for the wash room. The sorceress stumbled through the halls, knocking down a few painting and sculptures along the way. Once Hallos reached the door he needed, only one thing stood in his way.
 
 
 
Phil, always up with the sun, had been awake for a while now. The prince had gotten dressed in clean clothes, (taken from the horses pack; he'd remembered Flaming Justice only a few hours ago) he had eaten breakfast (as quietly as he could in the breakfast nook), and cleaned up his room (the sheets hadn't been as neatly made as he'd wanted, but still…). All Phil needed was his travelling companions. And look, here one comes.
 
 
The near zombie-fied sorcerer was in no mood for happy-go-lucky princes. Almost involuntarily, he clenched his fist, digging his nails into his palm. Phil began to chatter about the day ahead of them as Hallos grit his teeth and tried to get past the large man. Eventually, the prince caught on to what the red-haired man wanted and allowed him to pass.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Meanwhile, just a few houses away from Hallos's woe, a sorceress slept unbothered. Her snores drowned out the frustrated cries of the black sorceress whose eyes shared a remarkable similarity to her own. She rolled over as Hallos began to yell at Phil to leave him alone. A frightened maid walking by her room tapped nervously on the door.
 
“Miss?”
 
Uninterrupted, the snores continued.
 
The maid sighed and pushed the cart in front of her a few feet forward. Today was going to be a long day. She only hoped this devil-woman would tip well.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Hallos wished he had never woken up. Better yet, he wished he had never taken this job. He could be anywhere else, killing an important member of the Elmekia family, taking out someone on the Board of Agriculture in Zelfielia, anything really. For a good assassin, the sky was the limits.
 
 
He couldn't wait to get rid of this guy. Wringing his neck wouldn't satisfy him any longer, nor would the original plan of causing an avalanche to trap Phil into the cave. No, after so many hours of listening to how wonderful Saillune was (all the things there were to do and see) and all about Phil's family (why was Randy so mean sometimes and how could Christopher be so good with woman? He was a nervous wreck around this woman he'd met yesterday). Phil had also asked Hallos plenty of questions concerning his previous work and what he thought of all this monster stuff.
 
 
 
Soon, he reassured himself, just as soon as we get there. Instead of killing him, Hallos helped pack Flaming Justice, listened to his problems and nodded along. He only truly paid attention to the part about the sorceress Phil was fond of. She could be a problem in the end. The prince had wanted to run to the inn and have her accompany them, but Hallos had talked Phil out of it.
 
“She's probably tired from the trip yesterday.” He said in his most convincing tone.” Besides, what young woman would like to go to a dark, damp cave full of monsters? This `Naga' woman probably would hate it, and in turn, you.”
 
 
Phil, still not entirely convinced, had wanted to check up on her.
 
 
“Sir, she's probably still asleep. Would you like to upset her by waking her up?” The prince winced at the harsh tone.
 
“Come on, we have…children to save.”
 
That had gotten Phil moving.
 
 
Hallos wished that this sorceress had never met Phil. He didn't need the extra aggravation.
 
 
 
 
 
Naga too was having the same thought. Apparently during the night before, she'd (right before passing out), taken the time to order a huge, huge meal. And insisted they'd bring it all in even if she was asleep. God, sometimes Naga didn't know what went through her he-…
 
Dammit, were they bringing even more food in? She clutched her head, feeling a huge migraine coming on. Why had she drunk so much? Stifling that little voice in her head hadn't been worth a hang over like this.
 
Stumbling, tripping and crawling at one part, Naga made it into the washroom. As she brushed her teeth in a feeble attempt to remove the taste of dirty and cheap liquor from her mouth (what the hell did she do last night?) Naga remembered the previous day. She swished water around in her mouth, smiling smugly when she recalled how Phil had acted around her. Got him wrapped around my little fin-Oh, crap! That assassin!
 
 
 
Naga spat out water, spraying the sink and mirror in the process. Crap, oh, holy crap. She grabbed her cape and shoulder guards and raced out of the room. After knocking over several maids, one hotel manager, two guests, the pool cleaner, and asking for direction twice, the leather-clad sorceress managed to leave the inn.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Phil whistled cheerful and looked around the forest path. Bunnies, rabbits and squirrels poked their little fuzzy heads out of holes and bushes to watch them. Deer even came out and walked alongside them for a few minutes. The prince made sure to wave to all of the animals, at sure that the world was a just, loving place.
 
 
 
 
 
Hallos wished he was dead. His eyes rolled back in his head and the pounding in his head wouldn't stop. This whole trip was turning out to be more painful than the time he'd been cut with a rusty sword. At least then he didn't have to listen to anyone's love problems. After this was done, Hallos planned to kill that sorceress for adding to his misery.
 
 
“So, I found out she drank. One day I hope she would stop. That's no way for a Warrior of Justice to go about…Say, that's a weird bird. I wonder if that was…”
 
The red-haired man lowered his head and wished for his agony to stop.
 
“She has the most beautiful eyes..”
 
Wishes sucked.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rocks sucked. Naga managed to pull herself of the ground, aching all over. She cursed her own clumsiness, something she believed she had long since grown out of, and began on her way. Stopping at the fence which needed paint, Naga realized that she was the mayors home. The tall woman mentally patted herself on the back and began walking up to the door. She used to tarnished door knocker and waited patiently. After ten more minutes, Naga began to kick the door, cursing. After another five, she had knocked down the door and was looking all over the house. Nope, no one.
 
 
 
Naga tried to recall what Phil had said about his reason for being here. It was much harder than she expected (images of her strangling him kept popping up, distracting her thought process) but eventually, she remembered what he'd said. Something about monsters needing defeating. And dammit, he'd said that she could help! Her blood boiled with righteous anger, when she got her hands on that stupid, lying…prince? Naga's eyes widened, anger momentarily forgotten. Phil was some prince of Saillune.
 
 
Why hadn't he said anything? And why didn't he have any money on him when they'd met. Didn't he trust her with his true identity? Did he actually have money and was just holding out on her?
 
The sorceress felt strangely hurt. Why hadn't Phil trusted her? Alright, she sometimes looked suspicious, and she hadn't told him her full name or where she'd come from…but still! Naga could keep a secret. And she would've for him. She, well, liked him. Had liked him.
 
 
Naga grimaced and began to walk out of the slightly damaged house. Oh, she'd find him. And when she did, pain would be brought down upon his spiky head. The tall woman grinned and began laughing. Windows broke and children cried, but Naga paid them no mind. Oh, dear prince, you'd better hope that assassin gets to you first… She began casting Ray Wing.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The `dear prince' was oblivious to the danger surrounding him. Instead, he was busy feeding some birds a few pieces of dried bread and thinking about Naga (a woman currently out for his blood).
 
 
 
I hope she won't be mad at me. Phil frowned, his hand still breaking the bread into smaller pieces. I'd hate for her to be upset. The large young man imagined how she'd look upset. Her gorgeous eyes narrowed, hair rumbled and spilling down her back in curling waves of ebony, muscles pulled taunt…
 
 
 
He scattered the remaining pieces of dry bread with a flushed face. Maybe her being angry at him wasn't the worst thing in the world.