Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Fight for the Future! ❯ Chapter 6: Singing contest? No! Not THAT costume! ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



Place Your Web Page Title Here





Chapter 6: Singing contest? No! Not THAT costume!
"Oh..." Lina moaned. "I'm soooo hungry." The gang were all huddled around a tree, sprawled out in various positions.
"How long has it been since we've eaten again?" KC said vaguely. Tym just made a noise and rolled over. Xelloss grinned that smirky grin of his.
"Three days, KC-chan. You know, I think I have a way for you to get some money-"
Lina was all over him. "HOW? Xelloss, you'd better..." KC had stood up and was trying to seperate Lina from a sweating Xelloss.
"Lina, please. If you fireball him, he'll not tell us." Then KC calmly grabbed Xelloss and put him a headlock. "Alright Tinky Winky, spill. Whatcha got up your sleeve?"
Xelloss, gasping and turning red, finally managed to get out "Music contest- next town- GAH!" KC dropped him, grinning that grin that was so much like the purple haired priests it was scary.
"Woo hoo! This'll be easy! I'm a shoe in, what with my large pretty eyes, cute ears, and sultry voice..." She was all stary-eyed, hands clasped under her chin. Everyone else had facefaulted by this point, even Xelloss. KC shook her head, still grinning. "Well, come on guys! What are you waiting for, Christmas? Time's wasting!"
Tym smiled, following her silverhaired friend, muttering "Weirdo..."
* * *
They'd reached the town just in time to sign up. Everyone signed up, even Xelloss and Zelgadis. Zelgadis KC could see, he had to eat too, or at the very least he missed his coffee. But Xelloss? She just wasn't buying it. Something was going on there. But, she could figure that out later. KC poked Tym in the arm lightly. "Whatcha gonna sing?"
Tym thought for a moment. "Probably Iris." she replied. KC nodded.
"The Goo. Very nice choice." Lina had come up to the two at this point.
"What about you, KC?" Lina asked.
KC blinked, then shrugged. "I hadn't really thought about it." Xelloss walked past them, grinning like a maniac. Three pairs of suspicious eyes followed him until he left the room. KC coughed nervously, turning around, throwing over her shoulder "Well, I need to go think of what song I'm gonna beat you guys with." Grinning, she followed after Xelloss. That Mazoku is gonna spill she thought.
* * *
She caught up with him. He was sitting at a table at a little cafe across from the hotel. Taking the chair opposite from him, almost startling him. He recovered beautifully of course, but KC allowed herself a small smile for being able to sneak up on the trickster priest.
"There's something we need to talk about." she said.
Xelloss sighed quietly. "If it's about that kiss, don't bother. I do that to Lina-chan too, to get her to be quiet."
The elf smirked. "That's not it. I was just wondering why you entered in the contest." Xelloss sweatdropped, then started to waggle his finger. He couldn't complete the finger waggle because KC had grabbed his finger, bending it back calmly. She often did this to people who made her angry, or just annoyed her a lot. "And don't give me 'Sore wa' or I'll rip you a new nostril, and I think you have enough holes in your head already."
Xelloss was grinning still despite his discomfort. "Alright, alright! I wanted to challenge you, KC-chan." She blinked, suprised enough to let his finger go.
"Are- are you blushing?" She started laughing. "You're blushing! Oh, that's so cute!" Xelloss managed to look embaressed and mortified at the same time. He stood up so quickly he almost fell over, then disappeared without any of his usual smart remarks. KC started laughing and went back to the inn.
* * *
She'd tried. And tried. And tried. But it just wasn't working. Finally she gave up, throwing down the string. "I CAN'T DO IT!" Amelia cried out.
Tym shook her head and picked up the string, giving it back to the princess. "Let's try this again..."
KC and Lina grinned at the two. "Well, at least they're getting along." KC remarked. The redhead nodded, then turned her attention back to her cards.
"Got an eight?"
"Go fish!" the elvin girl shouted with glee. Lina grumped and drew a card from the stack. KC laughed and handed her cards to Tym. "Take over for me? I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the contest tomorrow." She left the room, going to her own. All the contestants for the music festival got free rooms at the inn, which was a good thing. Otherwise they'd have to be camping out yet again. She hopped in bed, then looked straight ahead, biting her lip in the dark. What was she going to sing?
* * *
An hour later she had narrowed it down to three songs. Turning over, she went to sleep, deciding that in the morning she'd ask Tym her opinion. Until then...
"No! NO! NOT AGAIN!" It was that dream again. Of the chaos, and the blonde haired woman. The Lord of Nightmares. The one they'd been sent here to beat. She could see Tym's usefullness in this. After all, she was supposed to be the incarnation of the Water Dragon King- er Queen. But what about KC? A silver haired elf with, granted, unusually strong magic powers. But how was that going to help her against L-sama?
* * *
She was woken up sharply by someone dumping water on her. Cold water. REALLY cold water. She sputtered and wipped it out of her eyes, then looked around angrily. "Who- YOU!" She lunged towards Xelloss, but got tangled up in the bedsheets, then started flailing her arms at him.
Xelloss just stood there, grinning as usual. "Good morning KC-chan! Just thought I'd get you up bright and early, so you could be ready for the contest today! Well, see you later!" Just as she was finally getting untangled he disappeared. Dropping to the floor she grumped loudly.
"I swear, one day..." Crawling over to her pack she pulled out a fresh change of clothes, dried off her hair, and got dressed. Slinging the pack over her shoulder she headed downstairs. No one was up but her and Zelgadis. They were usually the first two to wake up. It gave her a chance to talk with him and have a few cups of coffee before participating in the morning ritual of eat or be eaten. She thanked Cepheed for another blessing. The contest was also providing breakfast and lunch for all the participants. Unfortunately, it hadn't counted on Lina, Gourry, Amelia, and KC to be eating.
When every had finally finished and KC, as usual, had gotten the last of the food they headed down to the clothing store to find outfits for the performance.
* * *
"No... No... No... Maybe... Ew! No..." Tym was currently standing under a huge pile of reject outfits that was growing bigger with every thing that KC looked at. Finally Tym gave out a small strangled scream, threw the clothes down, and ran to the other side of the store. KC blinked and looked behind her. "Well that was weird..." She shrugged, grinned, and went back to rummaging.
* * *
Warming up before the show was hazardous. There was stuff flying around everywhere. If you weren't careful you could get hit in the head by deadly sheet music. And the sound in the room was enough to drive a deaf person insane. KC gave up and went out of the building, trying to find somewhere nice and quiet to warm up. Unfortunately, either Xelloss had had the same idea, or he was just following her. She turned around after trying to loose him down several alleys, finally giving up.
"Alright, what do you WANT?" Xelloss looked a little startled, well, as much as Xelloss could look startled, then grinned widely. She was about sick of that grin. "My kingdom for some duct tape..." she muttered. When he started to waggle his finger she screamed and just about teleported over to him, putting him in a choke hold this time. "NO! NO SORE WA! I swear I WILL find a way to kill you if you say that one more time! Do you understand?"
Xelloss, having turned several shades of red, blue, and purple, nodded imperceptibly. KC let him go, grinning and flashing the victory sign. "I am number one! Yes!" Xelloss had finally managed to stand back up, still gasping for air. She turned back to him, eyes gleaming red. "Now tell me. -What- -do- -you- -want-?"
Xelloss coughed a few times, sputtering out "I was going to spy on you, to hear what you were going to sing." KC sighed and shook her head.
"You've spied on lots of people, but you aren't very good at it, are you? You NEVER let the person see you! Besides, all I have to do is scales. I'm not singing my song until I'm up there performing." Xelloss gave her a look, then disappeared. She, in turn, looked at the thin air slightly puzzled. Shrugging it off she started on her scales. "Mommy made me mash my M'n'M's!"
* * *
Lina was up first. It was really... funny to watch her. She'd get mad at Gourry every few seconds and wack him with the stand. He, in turn, just started laughing harder. KC sighed and shook her head. Amelia, Gourry (who suprisingly enough had a good voice), then Zelgadis went. All they had left was Tym, Xelloss, and lastly KC. Tym went up to the stage, turned, took a deep breath, and started singing.
* * *
The crowd went absolutely wild. The judges spoke amongst themselves, wide smiles on their faces. KC caught up with her friend as she was leaving the stage. "That was, like, totally awesome! You did great." Tym smiled a little, then nodded her head towards the dressing room.
"We have yet to see Xelloss and your performances"
KC laughed a little, shrugging. "Well, I don't care who wins, besides Xelloss. It's money for the whole group." Their attention was drawn away by a commotion around the dressing room. Xelloss stepped out, and there was the biggest massive facefault in histroy around the crowd. Except for KC. She was just fuming.
"THAT'S MY DRESS! WHAT IS HE DOING WITH MY DRESS?" Tym got up and restrained her friend from killing Xelloss. KC starting crying. "NOW what am I going to wear? He has my dress! And the sad thing is, he looks better in it!" Xelloss was wearing the sparkling silver gown she'd picked out for herself. It was sleevless with elbow high silver gloves. He even had the shoes, sparkly strappy high heels. She covered her eyes, groaning. Tym pulled her back to the dressing room.
"No time to moan about this now. We have to find you something else to wear." Meanwhile, Xelloss was up on stage, getting ready to sing. What came out even had Gourry slapping his hands over his ears.
"Iiiiif Iiiii should stay
I would only be in your waaaaay..."
KC grimaced and started looking faster. Half way through the song she hung her head. "I'll never find something in time." That was when Tym held out something towards her. KC looked up, grinned widely, and took it. Tym grinned back and left the room so KC could get dressed.
* * *
The silver haired elf opened the door to the dressing room and peeked out just as Xelloss finished his song. Everyone looked slightly stunned, drool running from the corners of their mouths and eyes glazed. Except for Gourry, who was munching on a chicken leg and clapping with one hand. Xelloss left the stage and went in to the audience. After he did so everyone seemed to come around. KC took a deep breath, then went out to the stage. Everyone blinked, jaws dropping. She was wearing black pants, a white long sleeved button up shirt with a black vest. Knee length black boots completed the outfit. She balked slightly at the silence. Even Xelloss had gone oddly silent, his grin gone, eyes half open. He was... studying her. It was unnerving, but she pressed on anyway. Clearing her throat, taking a big breath, she started.
* * *
A few minutes later she opened her eyes, having closed them sometime during the song. She hadn't even realized it. Every one in the room was just gazing at her, completely stunned. She started blushing and slowly got off the stage, then ran in to the dressing room. It was only then that she realized Xelloss hadn't been in the audience when she'd finished. Too late. He closed and locked the door behind her. She steeled herself, then turned around. He was back in his normal clothes now, and looking down at her. Eyes. Those eyes... frightened even her. She tried not to let it get the best of her. Swallowing hard she looked back at him steadily. "Well? What?"
He leaned foreward, planted a quick kiss on her lips, grinned, and said "Sore wa KC-chan." Before she could recover from the shock he'd disappeared. Of course, this just made her madder.
(A few minutes later, hiding out somewhere outside of town, Xelloss doubled over in pain. This was an effect of the beating that KC would later inflict upon him, though at this time he didn't know it.)
* * *
She sat down in one of the chairs, putting her head in her hands. She'd lost. She knew it. But then she heard a commotion outside. She went out in to the main room. Zelgadis and Amelia were trying to pull Lina off Goury while Tym was trying to get Gourry to let go of the last chicken leg. KC grinned and joined in. "What the heck? Who cares about some stupid contest anyway?"
* * *
"Oh..." Lina moaned. "I'm soooo hungry." The gang, once again, were huddled around the tree. All except Gourry were starving. He'd eaten already and looked blissfully happy in his sleep. After the fight had broken out they were all disqualified, making Xelloss the winner by default. Oddly enough the Mazoku hadn't shown up to claim his prize and gloat about it. KC figured he was hiding from her. And well he should be. She'd kill him next time she saw him. But the rumbling of her stomach interupted her thoughts and she went back to complaining with Lina. Just another typical day in the lives of The Slayers (and KC and Tym).