Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers: Knightfall ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Slayers: Knightfall
Chapter Nine

". . .northeast, around those hills and then. . ." Zelgadis and Gourry were plotting our course by the cooking fire near the cave entrance. They were looking for the most direct route to the Veil of Shadows and then altering it so there would be a greater chance of running into one of the creatures Zel needed to become human again. That was the way Gourry and I demanded it so we didn’t feel as bad forhaving Zel and Amelia travel with us. Xellos had disappeared some time earlier, saying he had some business to take care of at Wolf Pack Island.

I was sitting down a short distance away, re-reading my sister’s letter. I was over the crying and uncontrollable hiccuping stages and was now scanning the parchment for any clues that may be able to help me.

Nope, not today Lina.

It seems, as always, that my weekend (and oh so much more) is shot to hell. The mazoku are gearing up for a major offensive and I am caught in the middle yet again. As if they didn’t learn their lesson the last few times!

I was feeling much more energetic than I had for the last few days. So I was trying to learn how to slip into my Knightmare alter ego at will. I practiced alone at night, so as to not freak out my companions, as the golden glow is a little odd . . . I guess. That, plus I sounded like I was constipated with all my growling and held-back screams of frustration. I absolutely loved the feeling of unconquerable power that transformation brought me, even if the source was horrifying. Maybe it’s just a fool’s errand, though I really do need the Shard of Lucidia for it to work properly. Who knows?

But I hope one day to be able to control it without the Golden Lord’s influence.

Gourry and Zel got up, apparently done with their cartography session for the evening. Zel went to the back of the cave where Amelia was fooling around with some herbs and other ingredients for some potions she was planning to make for me.

"I hate to say it, Ms. Lina, but you suck at healing spells," she said. I hate to admit it, but she’s right. All the major healing has always been done by her, Sylphiel or Milgasia. Those potions may come in handy in a jam sometime.

Gourry wandered over and sat on a rock beside my own.

"How’s it look?" I asked.

"Like a nature hike from hell, though we've already been through that and back so it'll be a cake walk." Gourry jovially replied.

"Say. . .Gourry, you wouldn’t be up for some sword lessons, would you?" I asked, maybe a little more awkwardly than I should have.
"Sure, but, lemme ask you something."
"Shoot."

"You’re worried about that assassin chick aren’t you?"
"The one I blinded?" I thought about it for a minute. "I guess I am. Why?" Don’t think I was safe just because I blinded the bitch. My enemies have a bad tendency to grow back things they shouldn’t.
"I don’t want you to do anything stupid like a suicidal revenge attack," he said seriously.
"You think I’d do that?" How dumb did he think I was?
His eyes suddenly turned inward, which freaked me out because, well, it’s Gourry! Since when does he become all introspective?
"I did, once …"
Huh?
He got up and drew his sword. "Well? Aren’t we going to practice?"
"Uh … sure." I drew my own blade and we went outside to duel.
I’ll whine the story out of him later.
The starlight was bright and the moon was out in full so I didn’t have to worry about fighting blind. Gourry could see in almost any amount of light with his seemingly superhuman senses. While mine are above average, his are beyond measure.
For nearly an hour we practiced technique, form and tactics, testing ourselves against each other. Gourry always won, of course, but he never gloated. He did give me tips and critiqued my performance to help me better prepare for the next duel.
"Oh, dinner and a show." Naga jiggled into our "battleground" and took her seat on a stump about three yards from us. She was drinking, as usual, and munching down on what looked like a goat leg.
A very large goat leg.
Oh no, she didn’t!?
"Don’t stop on my account," Naga teased.
"Where’d you get the grub?" Gourry asked, seemingly just as suspicious about the origins of the leg as I was.
"In the woods, blondie, where else would I find anything out here?" She took another huge bite out of the hunk of flesh.
Wait a minute. . .
"You hunted and field dressed it yourself?" The Naga I knew was deathly afraid of blood and wouldn’t eat anything that didn’t come from a store or a restaurant.
"Oh, no," she replied dismissively, then went back to tearing out grotesque chunks of meat with her teeth.
This is getting too weird, even for the Naga of late.
"Well?" I prompted, after a few moments of Naga’s chomping and slurping.
"Well what?" she replied a little testily.
"What is it?" I asked pointing at the nearly devoured, possibly goat, possibly important monster leg.
"What is what?" she yipped, hastily throwing the leg behind her into the brush.
"Damn," Gourry said. "And it still had some good looking meat on it, too."
And here I’d thought we were on the same page.
"Oh, you wouldn’t want that." Naga said.
"Well, not now, no."
"Dammit you two!" I yelled. A second later I heard something crash in the cave and a few muffled curses.
Must’ve interrupted "something.” Ah hell, they’ll get over it.
They both looked at me with oddly similar blank expressions. "What?" they said in unison.
"Naga, this is important! What kind of animal was that leg from?"
"What leg?"
"GAH! DIL BRANDO!"
After she landed a moment later, she happily led me to the exact location of the animal she had killed, which was a few kilometers west of the campsite.
"You can’t tell anyone about this, Lina!" she pleaded. She looked thoroughly spooked. Her normally pale skin was pasty with fear.
"About what?" I asked, a little confused. "Wait! You didn’t … do anything to the animal, did you?" At that point nothing would’ve surprised me.
"Well, she did kill it. That’s something." Gourry offered.
And thank you, Mr. Obvious.
"NO! You sick little … I think I killed a person." And then she started to hiccup.
Yes, hiccup. In the same pitch she laughs in.
"A person!?" Gourry and I exclaimed, horrified.
Naga weakly nodded and pointed to a tree. Behind it I could see the upper half of the body of a very pretty … but very dead woman. Her body was scorched and covered from the waist down by brush.
What was the girl doing this far away from town?
"Oh, Naga, what did you do?" I numbly asked. Gourry was ashen.
"I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING!? I DIDN’T MEAN TO! DON’T PUT ME IN THE DUNGEON! I’M TOO PRETTY! I’LL BE A BAD GIRL’S GIRLFRIEND!"
Naga kept going on like that for a while when Gourry noticed something.
"Lina, look at this," he said, while dragging the body out into the open, to Naga’s shrieking dismay.
"Holy … that’s a relief." I said, happy that no human life had been partially consumed by Naga.
"Huh?" Naga looked down and screamed some more.
"Well, if you’re so damned squeamish, why did you eat its leg!?" I asked, pointing at the felled Glaistige, the creature Naga had killed.
"I didn’t want it to go to waste!"
"W-wha!? Oh, never mind!" I slapped my hand over my forehead. "You know, Naga, you really are something else." One day, I’ll somehow travel the jungle of Naga’s mind, where, no doubt, there is some secret of the whole damned universe just waiting to be discovered.
"Mmm … still warm," Gourry said. He was munching on the beast’s other leg as if it was the best damned goat-lady leg he’d ever had.
Ah, hell, if you can’t reason with them, join them.
"Save me some!" And I lunged formy prey.
"No! Go get your own!" Gourry crouched defensively over the meat, which was still sizzling from Naga’s fire spell.
"At least remember to save the hooves for Zel!"
Amid the rough and tumble, I thought I heard Naga snort, "Animals."------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------
"Here," I said, and dropped the Glaistige hooves into Zel’s lap. To my dismay he was eating pancakes, as it wasn’t until morning that we got back. Gourry and I had spent the rest of the night practicing sword fighting with a surprisingly cooperative Naga for a referee.
"That’s great! Where’d you find them?" I could see the glimmer of hope in his eyes and it sure did my wounded heart some good.
"Naga actually found the Glaistige." I thumbed in her direction and she crossed her arms in such a smug, haughty way that I reminded myself never to praise her again. Zel and Amelia’s eyes both looked as if they’d loll out their sockets.
"Naga the Beast Hunter, at your service!"
"Thank you, Gra- … I mean Naga," Amelia said, genuinely appreciative. "You have no idea how much this means to us!"
"Only two more to go!" Gourry said.
"Yeah, but they are a lot tougher than a simple Goat-Woman." I said. "Maybe Naga will get hungry for some Hell Hound and Horse-man, later."
"I didn’t mean to!"
"But you did good, sis!" said Amelia.
"Why do you keep calling me that!?" When Amelia called her “sis,” Naga suddenly looked on the verge of freaking out, and so did her skull pendant.
Hmmm ….
I made a grab at it … and found myself flung across the room.
"Oomph!" I landed painfully on my rear and the skin of my left hand was blacked by some kind of energy.

"What just happened?" Gourry asked as he helped me up.
"SHE is MINE!" Naga said, but it wasn’t Naga’s voice that came out of her mouth. It was deeper and much more resonant. Naga herself didn’t look like she was actually there, at least in spirit.
"Gracia!" Amelia cried out. "Damn you, Xenasphyr!"
Xenasphyr? What’s a Xenasphyr?
"Flow Break!" Amelia released her spell and a glowing hexagram appeared on the ground with Naga at its center. The skull pendant looked pained and then went still. Naga slumped to the floor, unconscious.
"What … was that all about?" Zelgadis asked, just a tad puzzled.
"That was Xenasphyr, the sentient artifact that has taken control of my sister," Amelia sadly answered.
"Did you just kill it?" asked Gourry.
"No," replied Amelia. "All the spell did was make its influence retreat back to the astral plane. But it could recover at any time." She looked apologetically at Zel. "I’m sorry but I have to take her back to Seyruun."
Gee, well, thanks for elaborating, Amelia.
Zel didn’t hesitate. "I understand and I’ll come with you."
"But your body … " Amelia started to protest but her resolve wilted under Zel’s uncompromising stare. He reminded me of Gourry in that respect. He was seriously worried about her.
"I know we only have a short time left before the deadline," Zel explained. "But when we come back with her," he gestured at Naga’s sleeping form, "your father is sure to give us an extension."
"After we help Gracia?"
Zel suppressed a grimace. "Of course, after we see to Gracia.”
"Don’t worry about it, Zel," I said, trying to cheer him up a little. "Think of it this way: at least now you know you’ve got a real chance! No more chasing after fruitless leads. All you’ve got to do now is hike around in these woods and you’re bound to find everything you need in short order."
"But Amelia? How come you didn’t cast flow break as soon as your sister started acting weird? Weirder than usual I mean."
"I wasn’t sure that she was possessed at all until you tried to grab the pendant. I had my suspicions, but mostly I thought she was just being a jerk all this time."



Amelia and Zel, with Naga in tow, left the camp a few hours earlier. The possibility of their running into the demonic trio had crossed my mind, but if they hadn’t found us by now (hell, they probably still thought we were dead) then they shouldn’t have too much to worry about. We all decided to meet in Seyruun after Gourry and I went to the Vale of Shadows. From there we’d go back to Zephillia to continue Zel’s quest, assuming everything was all right with Naga by then.
I later interrogated Amelia and learned that Naga or Gracia had been in possession of and therefore gradually possessed by a slightly evil and self-aware artifact known as the Xenasphyr. It can take on any form and generally assumes one attractive to its victim (in Naga’s case a skull pendant), which is why Amelia didn’t immediately recognize it. It eventually consumes and replaces the personality of its wielder. To what purpose? Nobody really knows. The artifact had been resting in the deepest and most secure vaults in Seyruun’s magic library. Xenasphyr is much too dangerous to study, so not much is known about it. Amelia thinks that Naga must’ve gotten hold of it right after the assassination of their mother, the Queen of Seyruun. Which made sense, as most of the guards would’ve been needed for tighter security around the palace rather than to protect some obscure bauble no one knew anything about.
And all the time since, it’s been slowly altering Gracia’s personality into … into who knows what? In my humble opinion, anything would be an improvement. For Amelia’s sake, though, I’m going along with the idea that Gracia was in fact better than Naga. I do envy her. She still has a sister (albeit Naga) and I didn’t want anything to take that away from her, as it had been taken from me.

Tom the Mighty’s Mighty Notes!
So I lied. I slapped myself around a little and typed this out in about three days. NOW you’ll have to wait! Unless upper level English courses are easier than I fear they will be. DARN HIGHER LEARNING! Oh, and Oblivion been killing my time too, sorry. And my real novel. And watching and re-watching the Halo 3 and Final Fantasy XIII trailers. . . joy! And building my Spaceship that’ll take me to the moon, land of the Amazons and delicious cheese.
Mmm ... cheese.
Anyways, thanks for all who reviewed. And please do a signed review if you all would? It’s a lot easier to respond to everyone that way. And if you can’t, then either sign up on FF.net (it’s free, unless you want the goodies) or send me your email address along with your review (if you’re comfortable with it, of course).
See ya’ll laters.