Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers-Quest ❯ Luna arrives - Opposition From the Dragons ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]




Luna arrives -




Luna arrives -
Opposition from the dragons

Spotting the town the group hurried down the road, they quickly spotted and rushed into an inn at the edge of town. Waitresses were rushed to their limit taking down the orders and carrying out large platters of food. Zel looked over at Xellos who was sitting out of range with a smirk on his face. "Just what are you doing?" he asked suspiciously all of his fears back in a moment.

"Just snacking" Xellos answered. "I never realised how much they really enjoyed their food, all I felt before was the anger. Now I can see so there's so much more to it."

Nodding at Lina, Gourry and Amelia, he continued "There's the pure animal enjoyment of the food, the competitiveness and underlying it all is a caring, a connection that encompasses them. I can even feel those lines of caring reaching to both of us. We are what we are but still part of the group, amazing really."

Zel looked at Xellos in surprise, "Its Lina's gift, she accepts you as you are. I never had friends before I met her either. It is difficult to admit but if it wasn't for her I wouldn't have..." Zel's voice trailed off.

"Amelia" Xellos completed. He looked at Zel "Don't worry I won't say anything because..." He paused and waggled a finger, "That is a secret."

Zel choked on his coffee. "The old Xellos is still in there I see, don't let Lina hear you saying that."

Xellos smiled in agreement. Suddenly he turned towards Lina as the inn door banged open and waves of fear radiated from her, "Lina what's wrong?" he asked as he moved in front of her and faced the door.

"My sister" Lina answered.

Xellos's eyes narrowed as he looked at the Knight of Cepheid in front of him. Cepheid was no longer his enemy but anything that made Lina felt bad was automatically going in that category until he was convinced otherwise.

"Call off your pet monster Sis we have to talk." Luna told Lina in a stern voice.

"About what?" Lina answered bolstered by Xellos's support she was further warmed by the rest of her friends moving into position beside her. The only exception was Melee who had disappeared earlier when they had entered the restaurant.

"Do you know who you are helping? The voice of chaos. The dragon council has voted against this alliance, You will stop before you strengthening Xellos further" Luna then added in an unyielding tone, "once a monster always a monster. You will obey me on this Lina, I know what is right."

Lina felt her fear being replaced by rage as she remembered all that Xellos had gone through and the changes he had undergone. "No Luna, you just believe that you know what is right. There is no middle ground for you is there? Only black or white and no greys. You are the child of order and order can be as harsh and unforgiving as destruction. The dragons do not have a hold on me, they've already used me for their ends as have you dear sister. From now on, I will choose my own path. It will not be black or white but grey." Lina felt Xellos's hand on her shoulder "of course" she thought, he wouldn't be fooled by her show of bravado when he could feel her fear of Luna's disapproval directly.

"You are being silly Lina" Luna glared at Xellos. "I know what's best, you're just a spoiled child, let me take care of this for you before you end up fighting with the dragon council."

"So be it Luna" Lina remembered an old story about a goblin king , "You don't have any power over me" then louder with realisation flooding her voice "You don't have power over me."

Luna looked over Lina angrily then told her sharply, "You're just going to have to learn the hard way, again." She then left slamming the door behind her.

"Lina are you okay" Amelia grabbed at Lina as she fell backwards in a faint into Xellos's arms.

"No she isn't" Xellos answered quietly. "Luna raised her after her mother died, Imagine being brought up by someone who is that unyielding, there was no love for her just duty and doing the right thing. Luna punished her fiercely just for being herself." He sighed. "Her training was as harsh in its way as mine was."

As Xellos lifted Lina in his arms, "I think now is the time for me to repay her for some of the kindness she has shown me."

As Amelia objected he shook his head, "She has seen me at my worst. To help me she has already had to show me her past, I don't think she could let down her barriers for anyone else. Even though she does care deeply for each of you. I'll just take her up to her room and let her talk for a while when she comes to. I'll come down as soon as I can and let you know how she is."

After motioning to the innkeeper to show the way to the room, Xellos followed him carrying Lina gently in his arms. He didn't want to admit it but her reaction to Luna concerned him. How would she fare in a fight against her sister? Lina had been hanging on by a thread just talking to Luna. Xellos felt a familiar anger filling him, a need to rend and destroy. He pushed it down fiercely. Lina needed him right now and he owed her, he entered her room and laid her down on the bed. Stroking the side of her face, he admitted it was more than that, she was his first friend the one that made it possible for him to have other friends, she was important to him and he wanted to protect her.

In the dining room Amelia looked at the door to the steps, "Are we doing the right thing? Letting Xellos take care of her."

Gourry looked at Amelia calmly and said ingenuously, "Xellos won't let anything happen to her, he loves her as much as we do."