Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers-Quest ❯ Friendship - The Cure for all Ills ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]




Friendship -



Friendship -
The cure for all ills


Xellos sat quietly beside Lina's bed waiting for her to wake up. As he monitored her emotions, he could feel her becoming more aware. It wouldn't be too long now, he reassured himself. As he sat there he reviewed what had been happening over the past few days, he had been too caught up with himself to really analyse the situation. No one could scheme better than him so he figured he could figure out what was going on. He was obviously being groomed for the role of Priest of Chaos, and he needed the priests stone to fully take over the position. That much was simple, Lina definitely had a major part to play and was resisting the choosing, Knight of Chaos maybe, that made sense.

The question was why now? Why were both the monsters and the dragons so upset about this, no too simple, the proper question was why were they upset to the point of threatening war? He was sure from Zelas's reactions that she was surprised by Melee choosing him. His head spun with too many questions, "take it one point at a time" he told himself, "one point at a time."


A change in Lina's emotions brought Xellos back to the bedside.

"No, Luna don't, I'll take better care of him I promise, don't have him put down." she yelled out.

"Wake up Lina. I'm here. "Xellos told her. "I won't let anyone hurt you." He remembered what she had done for him and awkwardly took her into his arms and held her.

"I hope she doesn't kill me when she comes to" he thought to himself. Just then Lina opened her eyes, grabbed Xellos around the neck and started sobbing brokenheartedly."

"Erk, everything's going to be all right Lina, you have friends to, erk, back you up whatever you decide" Xellos told Lina while trying to get some air.

"I know it's stupid but she scares me, nothing can ever measure up to her perfection. When I was seven, just after my mother died, I found a stray dog. Luna told me I could have him if I took care of him. One day his rope broke and he got away. Luna had him put down because I didn't take care of him. I felt so guilty he died because of me." Lina took a shaky breath. "I ruin everything I touch, I almost destroyed the world because I couldn't let a friend die. She's right, I always make the wrong choices."

Untangling Lina's arms from around his neck around he took her face in both of his hands and forced her to look at him. "Lina your sister would have killed me outright. She still would if she had a chance, not caring if I've changed and I'm trying to atone. You were the one who helped me and gave me a soul. Can you say that it was the wrong choice? Zel has lost his bitterness and has found a place to belong, Amelia has learned to temper her search for justice with compassion and will someday make a fine ruler for Seyruin. Filia and Valgarv have become the true hope for the dragon race. Are those mistakes."

Xellos wiped a tear away with his thumb, "You have friends who love you, take strength from that, you were the one who taught me how precious that is."

Lina nodded speechless, "I'll tell them downstairs that you'll be Okay" Xellos then leaned over and kissed her forehead.

"You were also the one that taught me that a touch can mean as much as words"
He added as he left the room.

Xellos found Lina's three friends waiting for him anxiously as he entered the dining room.

"How is she?" Amelia asked.

"She'll be fine, she just needed to reminded that she had friends who cared about her." Xellos informed Amelia.

"I told you she'd be fine. "Gourry told the rest. "Xellos can't hurt her anymore than the rest of us can."

"True, I don't like being fireballed" Xellos joked"

"No I meant that you love her too." Gourry corrected.

Xellos paled, as realisations tumbled into place. "Where is Melee? I have to talk to her." he changed the subject.

"Haven't seen her for a while" Zel told him after exchanging a meaningful look with Amelia.

" I need to talk to her about those manuscripts, with the dragons getting involved I have to get the priest's stone as quickly as possible. Gourry's new toy will take care of the monsters but I'll bet it won't be any better than plain steel on the dragons."

"Can't you take care of the dragons, you were fairly effective against them in the past." Zel observed.

Xellos answered by showing Zel his staff end. "A great deal of my power came from this staff, until I can replace the stone, I won't be effective enough. We'd win but we'd take too many casualties. I won't let them get to Lina."

Zel nodded, his unspoken question answered as well. " In other words as soon as Lina is ready we're on the road again"

"No, she needs a nights rest first and some stress free time with everyone." Xellos disagreed.

"I'll take her to the baths and the magic shops" Amelia said happily, " You guys are in charge of getting a special meal ready." she frowned then added. "Just make sure Mr Gourry doesn't eat it all first."

"Excellent idea Amelia. We can always count on you to know how to brighten someone's day. Right Zelgadis?"

Zel choked on his coffee and glared at Xellos. "Right."

Amelia happily planned the outing as the men went to question the cooks staff. Xellos shot a look at the door as he left and smiled to himself as he felt Lina's touched feeling. "You are worth a thousand of the witch you can a sister." he thought angrily. "We will keep you safe no matter what."

Melee giggled from her hiding place, things were going well, maybe they could save the balance the unwilling was less so and her priest was definitely balanced, he could handle the stone and he wouldn't be as lonely as she had been.

"Time , time. Will time run out?" she asked herself as her hands flickered in and out of view