Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Wake-Up Calls Suck ❯ 'I have to work.' ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Few things could upset Amelia. It was something she'd always been grateful for and necessary at times. Unfortunately, one of the few things that got under her skin was currently leaving a vicious message on her answering machine. The short girl rubbed her temples and prayed for patience. At this point, it was one of those necessary times.
 
 
After listening to the message her sister (sister, right. Sister was too simple a word.) Amelia walked to her small bathroom, treasuring the word hers, and got a small bottle of generic aspirin. She managed to swallow two dry before sitting down on the ledge of the bath tub. Her head was pounding and she could barely remember her own name.
 
 
Eventually, the young woman walked to her room. (only a few feet away, but seemed to be miles at this point) She lay there for ten minutes, feeling numb, before finally drifting asleep.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Meanwhile, outside a dirty phone booth stood a tall, shapely woman. She cursed loudly before dropping another dime into the slot and dialled the number to a nearby friends. The phone rang half a dozen times before Naga hung up, again cursing. Her long hair was soaking wet as was her short skirt and even smaller top. She swallowed, tasting pennies and brushed some of her hair away from her eyes.
 
Her damn sister and best friend/rival were out somewhere. Possibly together. Naga gritted her teeth and had to resist the urge to pull the phone of its hook and throw it through someone window.
 
Her throat felt as though someone had lined it with sandpaper before tossing a match down there. Sick, getting sick. Naga sneezed, then smiled. Maybe someone was thinking about her. Amelia better not be with Lina. She was supposed to be out with me tonight…The woman coughed weakly before leaving the booth. Her umbrella, inside out, laid like a badly battered dog besides her few bags. She had gone shopping earlier, thinking (hoping) that it would help her forget about her meeting (date) with her younger sister.
 
 
Everything in the store had reminded her of Amelia. Even the stupid tacky clothes. Naga couldn't help imagining her wearing that ridiculous stuff and making little jokes. Amelia's sunny attitude would always bring a smile, even a tired, wary one to her lips. The tall woman sincerely hoped the younger woman worked tonight instead of spending the evening in the company of a red-haired fireball that went by the name of Lina Inverse.
 
 
 
When the two had begun hanging around one another, Naga had been perfectly okay with it. In fact, she'd even supported Lina spending time with her little sister. She'd figured they could watch each other backs and god knew how lonely Amelia could be. Especially after Zelgadiss (the bastard) had left for the Army along with Gourry.
 
Then, the two young girls had taken to having constant sleep overs. Naga, slightly jealous and trying her best to hide it, had again supported it. They need each other, she'd think, ignoring the voice saying that sometimes she needed them too.
 
 
Eventually, the Amelia and Lina became inseparable. No one really took much notice of it besides Naga, who'd long since come in grips with her sexuality and whom she had become attracted to.
 
 
She wasn't sure if they were technically together, but the woman knew Amelia had a crush on Lina for the longest time. The young, so very naive woman had liked Lina from the woman she'd laid eyes on her. And Lina, ever the attention hog, hadn't tried to fight off any of Amelia's half-hearted advances or dissuade Amelia from spending time with her.
 
 
 
They were nearly going out together, of this she was sure. The red-haired girl had stolen Amelia's heart and crushed Naga.
 
 
 
 
Now, they were in some kind of twisted, strange love triangle. Something none of them wanted. Her sweet sister was taken with a wild-girl that once had a crush on Naga, who in turn had developed something of a crush on her own sister. Thinking about it was enough to give her a painful headache.
 
 
 
So, she sat on the curb and watched cars go by and hoped Amelia was okay right now.