Sonic Series Fan Fiction / Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ What They Call Growing Up ❯ Meaningless Worries ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: CJ the Cheetah, Jessie the Cat and the children belong to me. Everyone else belongs to SEGA, Sonic Project, DiC or whoever created them.
 
Summary:Not even the Sonic gang can remain children forever. What happens when they settle down? Contains characters from all of the universes. Bears no reference to War of Hearts or Birth of the Heroes. There is a lot of romance, adventure, divorce, pregnancy etc.
 
Yes, this is a little like Birth of the Heroes, but also completely different as well. I'm probably one of the few people that didn't think that fic was good; I made the characters OOC and lovey-dovey, and everything was perfect. Life isn't like that, which is what this fic will suggest. There will be a bit of everything, including the action which makes Sonic what he is, pregnancy, divorce, affairs… kinda like a soap opera with action as well.
 
In any case, it starts with Sonic/Sally for our main hedgehog Sonic. Other pairings will crop up as the fic goes on, such as Sonic/Blaze and Sonic/Amy. Other pairings will appear too.
 
What They Call Growing Up
 
Days past in the midst of summer, you'd never expect things to seem so dull and dreary. A summer's day you'd normally associate with sunshine, seagulls, and intensifying heat, yet today was damp, boring, and definitely chilly, so much that Mobian children scuttling by would huddle closer together just to radiate their warmth off of each other. Nobody had any theories on this downward spiral in weather, but they merely shrugged their shoulders and got on with it, saying it would all be better tomorrow.
 
Amongst the dreary settings lay a village, out of place compared to the towns and huge country hills that outshined it. The roofs of the buildings were topped with straw and a thin layer of wood beneath it.
 
Inside one of the little huts lay a blue hedgehog, curled up in his bed, frowning to himself. Due to the cold weather he had been advised to remain inside by Sally, and he saw no reason to argue with her, despite the fact that remaining inside was one of his least favourite activities. He would have given anything at that point to just run off into the wind, become one with it.
 
He had recently turned twenty-three, and a big turn out happened which led to Sonic being more cheerful than he had done in weeks. Everyone was there, Knuckles with his girlfriend Julie-Su, Tails looking particularly cheerful, even Antoine and Bunnie, after much persuasion on Bunnie's part. Amy Rose had given him continuous smiles, her bright eyes eying him like grilled steak, making the blue hedgehog somewhat nervous. Luckily, Sally glided over and rested herself there with him, her hand on his.
 
The night had ended well, everyone had a good time. Tails had flown off to Amy's hut with her, and Sonic could recall the pink hedgehog looking somewhat disappointed. He himself had headed off to his own hut, Sally right beside him. They spent that night treasuring the time they had together, before Sonic was to be sent away on an important mission.
 
They treasured it a little too much. The two youngsters woke up next to each other, only a blanket covering their bare bodies. Sonic had immediately snuck into the bathroom and remained there for about an hour until Sally awoke, entering the bathroom and throwing confused looks at Sonic's behaviour.
 
“What's the matter Sonic?” she had asked him, her eyebrow raised. She clearly had no problems in accepting the previous night's events and treasured whatever time she had spent with him. She had gazed upon Sonic's slouching, almost petrified position for ten whole minutes before sidling off to make breakfast as if nothing had happened.
 
Sonic rolled over in his bed, his hand resting beneath the pillow and an almost depressed sigh escaped his lips. That night with Sally had meant so much to him, yet something in his heart was telling him it shouldn't be that way. A horrible shiver wriggled its way down his back, as his mind began to see various horrific scenarios, mainly involving Sally's waist expanding and several children crawling around wailing and crying. Sonic curled up into a tighter ball.
 
He had been worried ever since he and Sally had their night of passion that something might happen to change his and her life, and possibly the life of all of Knothole. He certainly didn't want Sally to get pregnant with his child; he felt that he was too young to have children. That and the responsibility would kill him.
 
“Sonic?” a young teenage male called. Sonic tried to uncurl himself, to act as if he were normal and that he didn't fear Sally getting pregnant at all but his body wouldn't let him. It felt like it was stuck in that position by super-glue, “What's the matter?”
 
Sonic could tell that whoever was speaking was right there in the room with him and Sonic curled up tighter instead of relaxing himself. He felt a soft hand on his shoulder, causing Sonic to look at the person's face instead of at his armpits. It was Tails.
 
“What's wrong?” Tails asked again, pursuing his interest and concern for his best friend. Sonic tried to speak but no words came out, possibly due to the fact that he didn't know what to say.
 
Finally, after a great deal of thought, Sonic decided on the word to say, “Nothing.”
 
Tails, as suspected, didn't buy it, not for a second, “I've never seen you like this before, Sonic. Not in all the years that I've known you. Come on, don't you trust me?”
 
A strange feeling gripped his heart like a vice at those very words. He didn't know why; one would normally associate it with guilt. Sonic had felt guilt before but this guilt almost left him breathless. Tails had been his loyal friend and companion since they were mere children, growing into feisty teenagers looking for adventure. Surely he'd be able to trust him?
 
Sonic sighed, his mind made up, “I don't know Tails. I'm just worried about Sal that's all.”
 
Tails raised his eyebrow, “Why would you be worried about Aunt Sally?”
 
The blue hedgehog didn't know how to explain this issue to his young friend. In truth, there was nothing to explain, but Tails was only sixteen, and even though he was of legal age to know about things such as… that… Sonic didn't feel comfortable conversing about it with anyone. So he waved his hand in the air carelessly, “You wouldn't understand…”
 
“Try me,” Tails tried to pry Sonic out of his curled position, and in the end, Sonic was able to relax a little.
 
“Me and Sal… after my birthday party, we went to my hut and had a chat, you know, because of that mission I was sent on and stuff. And… I didn't mean for it to happen, it just did and now I'm worried in case Sal gets pregnant and -”
 
“Whoa!” Tails raised his right hand, trying to halt Sonic in his stammering, and it succeeded as Sonic trailed off his speech, “I think I know what you're talking about… you and Aunt Sally did `it' didn't you?”
 
Sonic blinked at Tails, almost wondering how he could have guessed in such a short space of time. Yet again, he remembered that he had mentioned his worries that Sally might get pregnant, and realized that Tails would have divulged the information from that. He sighed and gazed at his sneakers, almost wishing that he could curl up into that ball again and lay there all afternoon wallowing in self-pity and fear.
 
“Sonic, don't worry about it,” Tails began, thinking of the right words to say while Sonic sat there miserably, “Aunt Sally won't get pregnant.”
 
Sonic blinked, “Come again?”
 
“She won't get pregnant,” Tails sighed impatiently, yet keeping a kind expression on his face just to be sure that Sonic wasn't discomforted.
 
Sonic snorted despondently, “How can you tell? Are you psychic or something?”
 
Tails laughed at this. He questioned himself as to why Sonic didn't realize that Sally could never get pregnant even if they did it a million times, “Sonic, it's almost impossible for two different species to breed! If you had done it with Amy for example, then we'd worry. But Aunt Sally and you are completely different species; therefore you've nothing to worry about.”
 
It took a while for that scrap of information to get through Sonic's thought-fogged brain, but when it did, the brightening expression on the blue hedgehog's face was definitely rewarding, “So I don't have to worry about being surrounded by screaming brats?”
 
Tails laughed again at that, seeing Sonic's hatred of responsibility shine through his positive features, “No chance, unless of course, you decide to hook up with Amy or some other young gorgeous female hedgehog…”
 
“No chance mate,” Sonic grinned, “Sal's the one for me.”
 
Sonic cheered up gradually as the day came to a close, leaving his hut to chat with several friends and crack jokes about Robotnik. Everything went along as usual.
 
He found Sally alone at the lake, a soft smile on her face. Sonic finally found the strength to approach her after an inward battle featuring some rather strange daydreams. He settled beside her, saying nothing at first, not wanting to spoil the serene moment that was being spread, “Cheered up, I take it?”
 
Sonic nodded dumbly, saying nothing at all to Sally's question, but the young woman had seen everything in his eyes. Eventually, she thought she could ask again, “So… what was the matter anyway?”
 
Sonic sighed, feeling his face turning a deep tomato red that he tried to ignore, but couldn't as his facial features burned hotter than he had ever felt them do so before, “You remember when we… you know?”
 
Sally nodded, listening carefully to what Sonic had to say. The blue hedgehog took a deep breath and continued, “I got worried. We didn't even plan it nor did we use any form of protection. I kinda got worried that you might… you know…”
 
Sally raised her eyebrow, “I don't know though. Do you want to tell me?”
 
“I was worried that you might get pregnant…” Sonic trailed off.
 
Sally did not say nor do anything for the first few seconds after those words were said. Her immediate reaction was to laugh it off as a foul joke, but looking at Sonic's embarrassed features, she realized he really looked concerned. Sally sighed, thinking of the appropriate thing to say.
 
Eventually, Sally spoke, “That cannot happen even if we wished for it to be Sonic. We're two completely different species.”
 
“I wouldn't wish for it anyway…” Sonic muttered under his breath.
 
“What?” Sally asked, vaguely hearing Sonic mumble something, but didn't quite catch it.
 
Sonic looked up at her, blushing furiously and shrugged, “Forget about it, I was just being stupid.”
 
“It's natural for men to feel worried, especially if they're like you and can't stand a little extra responsibility,” Sally teased, allowing one of her hands to stray behind his head and stroke his already long quills. Sonic didn't even seem to take offence at the comment, he just sighed.
 
“Sal… I just think I'm too young to have children, I just want to live at the moment you know?” Sonic explained quickly, feeling his face burn hotter than before at the feeling of Sally softly rubbing his quills.
 
“I know,” Sally smiled, allowing her fingers to play with Sonic's quills, “I feel pretty much the same, though I wouldn't mind having children someday.”
 
“Just not now and not from me,” Sonic smirked, “You'll have no hope of getting kids from me, even if we could.”
 
“Yeah, but we can have other things…” Sally also wore a smirk now, leaning in to rest against Sonic's chest.
 
Sonic had a vague idea of what Sally was hinting at, “Oh, like what?”
 
Sally's smirk grew wider as she leaned in, whispering into Sonic's ear. Sonic's smirk also grew wider as he heard of what Sally had in mind, and he nodded when she finished, “Yeah, we do have those things… anytime Sal, anytime…”
 
Sally allowed the hand that wasn't stroking Sonic's quills to stroke his furry peach chest, “How about right now?”
 
“I did say anytime.”
 
At those words, Sonic scooped Sally off her feet, and headed off to his hut, not knowing of the troubles of adulthood that he was yet to go through. As he and Sally rested together that night, Sonic didn't know that an adventure quite unlike the ones he had with Robotnik was about to begin.