Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alliance for Ages ❯ A Force for Justice ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4

A Force for Justice

"Well, guys, it's time to meet the rest of the team." Sonic said, tapping a button on the wall of his base.

A voice came from a small speaker. "Who's there?"

"It's me, Tails. Let us in. Our new friends have to meet the rest of us." Two heavy doors slowly swung open, their gears whining in protest. "Better get someone out here with a can of WD-40," Sonic mused. As each warrior stepped in, scanners on either side of the doorway scanned them. Tails' voice came over a small comlink in Sonic's hand,

"It's them, Sonic. No deception on their end.

X looked startled, but amused. "You suspected US of treachery? I guess we're all over-suspicious. Zero was ready to blow someone's face off if we were betrayed."

Sonic chuckled. "Anyway, time to meet the rest of the group. Sonic Team! Fall in!" Two other animals abruptly came into the entrance hall. X recognized one as a fox, only it had two tails. The other was red with large knuckles, but it was totally unfamiliar to him. Before he could ask, Sonic explained. "This is Tails Prower the Fox and Knuckles (just Knuckles) the Echidna. They're my partners. Guys, this is Megaman X and…"

Sonic whispered to X, "Who's your friend?"

"Zero," X replied, just as softly. "Just Zero."

"Zero. They will be our allies against Robotnic and Sigma. They have warred against Sigma's forces for years and have won several times. Together we WILL defeat them." X suppressed the urge to applaud at the flattering speech. The "Echidna" raised his hand. "Yes, Knuckles?"

"Just one question. Why are we YOUR team, all of a sudden?" Zero decided that he liked this guy.

"Shut up, Knucks. Tails, get them outfitted."

"Sure thing, Sonic," Tails agreed. "Follow me, you two. Looks like your weapons could use some spit-shine." The orange fox led them to a large, cavernous room lined with testing chambers and equipping rooms.

X was stunned. "Incredible! This place is better equipped than Hunter HQ! How could you guys lose with all this stuff?"

Tails shrugged. "I guess it's because we don't have enough soldiers or equipment to utilize it all." A small group of human scientists approached, one holding a gleaming armor plate and another with a glinting, perfectly shaped jewel.

"Here are the parts you wanted, sir."

"Thanks, Wilson. Now, X, this is a synthetic chaos emerald," he said, holding up the crystal. "We're using the few real ones we have recovered to power the base equipment and defenses, so this is the best we could do. We're going to need your weapon to install it."

"Hang on, hang on," X stalled and chuckled dryly. "My buster IS my right arm. What're you going to do, yank it off?"

. . .

"I'm not so sure of this, guys." X was strapped down on a slab waiting for his "Mechanical Doctor" to arrive. Tails had obviously taken to heart what X had said and was perfectly happy to yank his whole arm off to replace the power core for his weapon.

"I'm REALLY not sure of it now. This Tails kid is crazy if he think he can mess with the delicate equipment in these arms."

"X, that's not very nice." Zero was obviously quite amused by this whole ordeal.

"Shut up, would you? It was you who was so worried about betrayal twenty freakin' minutes ago. Now it's all a joke?"

"Lighten up, Megaman." That was Tails who had just entered the operation room wearing doctor's scrubs. "This won't hurt a bit. Just think of how much better your weapon will be with a chaos emerald at its core. Oh, while you're out, would you mind if I install this new armor as well."

"Oh, sure. Why don't you just rewire my whole damn neurotronic system center while you're at it? I told you this kid's crazy."

Tails just laughed maniacally. "Here I come, X."