Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alliance for Ages ❯ Explanations ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

Explanations

"So, you never figured out the thing with the moon and the space colony? Or that there was an entire military organization based here?" Sonic asked.

"No," X answered, "we figured the whole moon thing was just a misfire of one of our real military's own weapons. Non-registered militants like the Maverick Hunters have no access to information about our own military assets. And as for this G.U.N. organization you mentioned, I only remember a small project attempting to create an army of mindless robots to keep sentient warriors out of harms way. It failed and the project was lost around this place…"

"You mean to tell me that you never even looked for it? I mean this thing is huge! They have thousands of robots and a fleet's worth of aircraft carriers and assault craft… Well, anyway, that sort of explains things. But the cities! There are massive cities here on the main island! You're trying to tell us that you just never bothered to check out the OTHER side of the Earth?" X nodded and Zero smiled sheepishly. Sonic just stared, looking disbelieving. "Alrighty then. Well, come on, there's plenty I have to show you." He motioned for the Hunters to mount their bikes and follow him. As Sonic sped off and the other two followed, X noticed that the thick forests were changing. He could see buildings now. Large ones, skyscrapers filling coastal cities. And now he began seeing ships off the shorelines, obviously the G.U.N. ships Sonic had mentioned.

"X, are you seeing what I'm seeing?" Zero asked over the comm link.

"I think so. Those must be the cities Sonic mentioned."

"Yeah, but look out forward. That must be Sonic's HQ." X saw his friend point out at a squat, military-looking compound up ahead. Sonic's dust cloud moved toward it at incredible speed. "This is our last chance to back out, buddy. Any second thoughts?"

"Not a one, Zero. Sonic wouldn't betray us. Not even if Sigma is the bad guy here. I can't feel any malice in his words or his actions."

"You'd better be right, X." Zero was just about ready to shoot his friend down for his lack of caution. Zero knew better than to trust everyone who appears to have a just cause. No, he had read way too many Star Wars novels for that. But Zero knew not to question his friend's judgment and landed his sky bike alongside X's. Sonic waited for them, tapping his foot impatiently.

"Where have you guys been? Having second thoughts about helping a fellow warrior?" Sonic said, looking hurt.

X smiled. "What makes you think that? Just exercising some natural caution. So, what's the story of all this stuff just appearing out of nowhere?"

Sonic looked baffled. "What do you mean? Oh, the cities! Sorry, I forgot, they don't appear to anyone who isn't welcome here. Dr. Eggman is the only exception; he seems to have found a way to penetrate the camo shield."

"What about Sigma? Can he spot the cities, too?"

"He doesn't need to. Eggman has joined him as partners."