Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alliance for Ages ❯ The Long Journey ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2

The Long Journey

It was 3,000 miles to the coordinates 22N, 68W, clear on the other side of the planet. Zero insisted on going in separate sky bikes, so as to leave themselves less vulnerable to ambush, even when X assured him that the stranger was sincere. With a short query on its origin, X decided that the stranger was a hedgehog, a creature long since thought extinct. What is this place, anyway? It must have never been colonized if there are hedgehogs there that we never knew about. I can't wait! Zero's voice came over his comm link.

"X, you read? We're getting close now. Only about one hundred miles to go, so just keep an eye out for a good place to land, OK?"

"Got it, X out." X flipped off the link and brought his magni-scope. As they closed to within sixty miles of the coordinates, X found that it was right in the middle of a large archipelago consisting of a dozen or so small islands surrounding a medium-sized mainland. When they were within 40 miles, he zeroed in on a large rock bluff only a few miles from the indicated point. "There," he said, activating the link. "On that bluff, it's perfect. Zero? You see it?"

"You bet, X. Keep your eyes open for traps, though. We can't be caught off guard." X sighed and slowed his sky bike to a crawl as they approached their landing spot. But a feeling did encroach on his mind, a feeling of something approaching quickly. X and Zero dismounted slowly, ready to leap back on and fly off at the first sign of danger. But danger didn't come. Instead, X squinted into the distance, suddenly noticing the dust cloud moving in their direction. At its head, he could have sworn he saw a blue blur…

And just as quickly as he spotted it, the blur was standing in front of them, a jubilant smile on his face. "Yes!!! You did come! We're saved!" X didn't know how to react to this "hedgehog" jumping about before him. He decided to let him explain. The stranger caught the gist of X's silence. "Oh, sorry, allow me to introduce myself," he said, bowing self-importantly. "My name is Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog, fastest being alive and it is I who called you here and I beseech you for help. My little part of the world has recently come under the oppression of a new evil genius, one even more powerful than our resident scientist, Dr. "Eggman" Robotnic. If I remember from our last encounter, he called himself Sigma." X and Zero stared and gaped at their new ally in the greatest war in Earth's history.