Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alliance for Ages ❯ Sonic's Quest ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9

Sonic's Quest

As Sonic dashed into the Green Forest, he noticed that several of the largest trees had been cut down and parts of it had been torched. "What happened here?" he said aloud. "These trees are hundreds of years old. It'd take a pretty huge chainsaw to take out one of these babies. Hmmm… well, whatever it was, it's gone now." He continued on, weaving in and out of trees and jumping off a few. Finally, he reached a strange place he had never seen before. It appeared to be some sort of altar or shrine that had pillars reaching to the sky and a gaping red wooden door. Sonic approached and was about to knock when the door swung open of it's own accord. He stepped inside and quite suddenly felt that pulling sensation that Shadow had mentioned earlier. Sonic knew right away that this shrine housed his mythical weapon.

The ceiling was huge and dome with pictures depicting a massive bird trailing flames, dive-bombing an equally huge black dragon. Wait, didn't Shadow say he was the Black Dragon? Sonic wondered. Then he realized it. Then I must be the Phoenix. Sonic rushed forward and saw a large staircase leading downward. He stepped cautiously down its slippery stone steps and found himself in another huge room, only this one had a low ceiling. "More like a catacomb than anything else," he said. Onward he went, looking anxiously from side to side, searching for this "Enchanted Object". He noted that this room branched off into smaller rooms along the side. Some kind of tomb? he wondered. As he went deeper into the tomb, Sonic noticed two things. First, he couldn't see anything without squinting anymore and, second, that he felt the pull of the weapon even stronger now. He just kept on walking toward the pull until he felt its draw change direction. Strangely, though, the pull did not change direction once. It seemed to circle him, as if something already had it. As he turned he saw what it was. A massive Mummified form stood in the doorway he had just come through, holding a large, glowing sword encrusted with red jewels. It was quite imposing and looked as if it was going to challenge Sonic for the sword.

"I accept," Sonic said, feeling the quills on the back of his neck stand up as if they were scared. The mummy charged forward, bringing the blade up to strike. Sonic debated with himself with what to do. He decided to strike back, not run like the mummy probably expected him to do. If the thing even thought. Sonic jumped toward it as it brought the weapon down. He rolled up and sent out his protection field, striking the mummy squarely in the face. The monster staggered and clutched at it's damaged face. Sonic took the initiative, rolling and clipping out the creature's legs. It fell over and let the blade slip from its grasp. "Too much for you, ugly?' Sonic baited. He quickly ran by, gathering up the sword and holding it in both hands and turning to face his adversary again. The sword was indeed magical. It glowed with a bright golden-red aura; seeming to erupt from the Ruby jewels all over it's edge. It conformed to his grip as though he had made it. As the mummy struggled to its feet, Sonic dashed toward it, holding the blade in front of him. He struck the beast, impaling it through the stomach. No blood came out, confirming Sonic's guess that it was an Undead being, possibly brought to life by the Phoenix Blade's reawakening. He pulled the blade out and decided to end the battle quickly. Sonic slashed on an upward angle, taking the mummy's head off like a hot knife through butter. The thing's body evaporated, leaving only its wrappings behind. Sonic then had a strange foreboding feeling. As he looked around again, he saw why. Then he heard it. An entire legion of mummy-creatures surrounded him, roaring in rage for their fallen comrade.

Sonic felt he had to act fast. But he never had to do anything. The blade raised itself from his hands and floated before him. It began to spin like a saw blade, faster and faster. Then, it miraculously seemed to change into something else. Two huge flaming wings emerged from its sides and a small body followed soon after. The sword was gone. Instead, the Phoenix hovered there, in all its glory. Sonic could feel the intense heat coming off of it. The bird zoomed straight at the nearest of the mummies, incinerating it instantly as if it had been thrown into a fireplace. It changed course, making a complete circle around Sonic, burning down every enemy that happened to be in its way. Apparently, not even undead mummies like to be torched. The remaining mummies scattered in all directions, covering their heads with their arms, roaring with fear at the miracle-creature that had just destroyed more than half of them. As the Phoenix came back to Sonic, it stopped in the air in front of him and abruptly changed back into the sword, falling to the ground. Sonic picked it up, looking at it with complete disbelief at its incredible power. "Wow," he said. "I can't wait to show this to Zero. He'll be so jealous." Sonic laughed and began to run back the way he had come, finding the doorway he had come through and charging back out into the depths of the Green Forest.