Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alliance for Ages ❯ The Tortoise and the Fox ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14

The Tortoise and the Fox

Tails strolled back to the break room after finishing his modifications to the Cyclone. He had decided some weeks earlier to make his pet ride `Mech into a multi-mode assault unit. He had just completed his first conversion mode, the Squall Light Assault Unit. It sported less armor than the Cyclone, and lacked the missile launcher. Instead, it had a machine gun and was much faster due to the large engines added at the rear. But it's most useful aspect was its ability to fly while still in attack mode. As he poured a cup of coffee, Colonel Wilson came into the room.

"Tails!" he said, walking over to him. "You're just the one I needed to see. Knuckles, Sonic, and X have all left! Do you have any idea why?" He looked slightly panicked at not having their commander there.

"Wilson, I'm leaving you in command of all the troops. Make sure nothing goes wrong, ok?" Tails closed his eyes, concentrating on the feeling in the back of his head. It was beckoning him to follow.

Wilson was downright stricken with panic. "You're leaving too?! But, why, sir Tails? Why are you all leaving us?" Tails explained all he knew and all Sonic had told them about the Seven.

"One or more of them should be back sometime soon. I'm promoting you to Brigadier General, so you'll have full command of the troops. Good luck, soldier." Tails gave a sympathetic salute.

"I'll… I'll do my best sir."

Tails brought up the pre-launch checklist on the Cyclone's computer. Everything checked out green and, crossing his fingers, he hit the switch to change to Squall mode and the robotic maintenance arms dropped down and began pulling armor plates off as well as the missile launcher. As soon as the armor was switched from steel to Fibro-iron, more arms dropped down with Engine components, fitting them together to create the two extra large thrusters in the back. They replaced his Vulcan gun with a larger chain gun and the vertical thrust vents opened. The Squall was ready to go. All conversion systems checked out green, two engines lit, four vents thrusting. The holding units let go and Tails closed his eyes as the Squall fell slightly before the lift coils compensated, keeping the unit aloft. Tails keyed to open the vehicle bay doors and easily nudged the hovering walker outside. The sun hit the Cockpit shield and almost blinded him. "I think it's good enough to open the shield up," Tails said to himself, squinting against the oppressive sun as he keyed to slide back the cockpit shielding. Feeling the pulling increase, Tails turned the unit's torso until he felt it tell him to follow. When it did, he was pointed due North. "Onward!" he yelled, fitting into the moment, "to Victory!" He disengaged the legs and threw all power to rear thrusters.

An hour and a half of straight flying and Tails found himself faced with the Turtle Sea, a large body of water occupying the space between the Mainland and the largest island, Kutsime. As he continued onward, he suddenly sensed the pull draw him downward. He instinctively dove toward the surface of the ocean, hitting the cockpit close toggle. Holding up just above the surface to check the cockpit seal, he saw the shadow. It was gigantic, a huge moving mass with four fins. It surfaced and its huge head broke the calm of the water. It was a massive Tortoise.

Tails looked down at it, pondering what it was here for. Was it here to help him or was it the guardian of his magical weapon? He got his answer all too quickly. The thing submerged and a large weapon came from its back and pointed at Tail's walker. In surprise, he cut the vertical thrusters and pointed nose down, just avoiding the crushing blast. He dove straight down maybe 20 feet and leveled out, aiming his cannon at it. He let several shots fly which hit the creature's underbelly, not even phasing it. It began to move, its fins paddling quickly yet gracefully. Several of the scales of its underbelly popped open, revealing an equal number of guns emerged and swiveled to track him. Tails brought his own weapon to bear, scattering dozens of shots across its belly. He got the satisfaction of seeing two or three weapons detonate before he hit the surface again. Tails waited until the tortoise fired another shot from its back-mounted cannon before diving again. This time, he tried hitting the protruding head, connecting several shots before one hit the creature's eye, causing it to shudder violently before drawing its head back into the shell. As it did so, a shield of energy surrounded the creature's whole body and it started glowing, restoring its health. Then, Tails noticed the metal shield on its underbelly. That must be the item! he thought. He concentrated his fire on the shield and hit it dead on with three shots. It loosened and released itself from the tortoise's body. The creature then just sort of… disappeared. Tails was left under the sea with nothing but his prize and the haunting, empty howl of the beast.