Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alliance for Ages ❯ Where Falcons Dare ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15

Where Falcons Dare

Zero had left HQ several hours earlier, following only the feeling of a beckoning pull in the back of his head. He was running through what appeared to be a small, isolated desert; really just an arid valley near the center of the mainland. He had scaled the rim, repelling upward with his jets and had looked into the bowl from the edge. It held several pinnacles; one near the center was capped with a flat stone. It was that pinnacle he was searching for. It was there that he was sure the pull was leading him.

Looking outward, he could only see the pinnacles closest to him: jagged, without caps at their peaks. What could be the significance of them, he asked himself. He then realized what they were meant for. The capped pinaccle had a plate at its peak preventing him from getting to its top. He had to scale the capless ones first, then dash his way to over to it. He decided that the one nearest his current position had looked the shortest and he made for that one.

After another few minutes of steady running, Zero made it and began to scale the pinnacle's base. Between repelling upward with his boosters and climbing, he reached the peak in less than ten minutes and stood at its top, looking out at the other ones he could see. He began planning his path. Now, I'll hit the one to the northeast… then that one to the east of it… He pointed to each one in turn. Zero had never had to depend on his boosters as much as he did now. He merely hoped they would carry him far enough. He left the pinnacle, leaping into the air and igniting his boosters. They carried him maybe 400 feet, just enough for him to grasp the stone near the top and scramble up its remainder. It was then that he was attacked first.

A large bird, probably an eagle, dive-bombed him from its position above the pinnacle. Zero, caught off guard, could only cover his head and hang on for dear life. The bird hit him, knocking his arm away from his helmet and the bird circled around for a second pass. This time, Zero had enough time to ignite his beam saber. He swiped at the bird as it came at him, causing it to flit away in alarm. It came back again from behind the stone, hoping to swing around it and catch him blind. Zero poked his head over the peak and spotted the bird coming around to the right side. He calculated its velocity quickly and threw out the saber's blade just in time to slice off one of the bird's wings. It spiraled downward and hit the ground moments later. Zero continued his leaping.

. . .

Sigma was impatient, watching his troops make preparations for the coming attack from the security cameras mounted around the base. G.U.N. had made its agreed contributions: several heavy tanks and an army of mechanized warriors to man his transports and assault platforms. I will kill them all. I won't let one of them escape my wrath. Not this time, Megaman X. This time I will get you.

. . .

Zero had finally made it to the final pinnacle. He prepared to leap for the edge of the plate capping the flat pinnacle when he heard a loud squaking. He looked up, startled to see a gigantic bird fly overhead. It landed on the plate and seemed to change shape, becoming smaller and more human-like. Curiosity overtook Zero and he made the final leap. Grasping the edge, he pulled up and found him self face-to-face with a man wearing a crown and holding a long sword at his side. He wore a long, large shouldered cloak made of feathers. His face was strangely bird-like with a curved nose and brown hair that seemed to meld with his head. Zero stared at him for a second and spoke. "May I ask who you are?"

The man brought his sword up into a defensive position and spoke. "My name is of no importance. I was charged to protect this sacred place. I will do just that." He charged at Zero, swiping at his waist. Zero ignited his blade and blocked the metal sword, melting through it. "Demon!" The man screamed, falling backwards. Zero merely stood over him, his `saber held aloft.

"What is the artifact?" Zero said, nearly by instinct. The man just backed away and began to shift again, turning back into a falcon. Falcon, Zero thought. Why do I know it is a falcon? As the creature took flight, Zero opened his buster, something he hadn't done in quite some time. He charged it to its maximum potential, and took aim, just as the bird came around to attack. It opened its beak and screamed, unleashing a nearly visible soundwave that nearly knocked Zero off his feet. He steadied his aim and fired, hitting the falcon between its eyes, knocking it flat to the plate. It slowly turned back into the man it had been before, and the crown fell from his head. Zero looked down at him as he calmly walked over to the man's body. Zero picked the crown up from the rock, dusted it off and placed it onto his own head. There, it melded with his helmet and became no more than a design on its surface. When this was over, the man lying before him slowly faded away, leaving this plane of existence until the next time he is called.