Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alpha ❯ Past Events ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
After gorging themselves on all the different foods the city had to offer, Sonic and the team finally headed for the immense mansion piercing the sky in the center of the settlement. Tails had noticed that everywhere they went, all of the citizens had marks on them, just like the ones the guard and Ayn had. Most of the ones in the town, however, looked like "B"s with a long tail. He was also unable to get the images of the crude houses he had seen outside the walls to leave his head. He kept pondering on these things and before he knew it, they were in the palace, staring up at the magnificent architecture that adorned it. The ceilings seemed miles high and the rooms were large enough to hold a ball for more than 500 guests. They walked up a spiral staircase made of marble and polished to a brilliant shine. At the top of the staircase was a large steel door with another two guards (they had the upside-down "U" symbol) standing by. The guards threw the door open and inside was a circular room with a book in the middle. The floor changed from a smooth, marble surface to tile, arranged in a peculiar design. The group gathered around the tome and watched intently as it lifted off of the ground.

"This record holds the history of this village," Ayn stated, holding her hands out to catch the book. "From the first alpha to the youngest pup, we have written every event into this book. As you can see, the different colored names designate different groups. You see, as pups are born, they are put into one of three categories based on their personality, strength, intelligence and a few other factors. The three groups are Alpha, Beta, and Omega. There are only two alpha wolves, a male and a female. This mark on my head signifies that I am the alpha female. At all times, there are also a number of pups bearing the symbol, as they are the heirs to the current alpha wolves. Alpha wolves are given much education, as it is needed to maintain the city. Next down on the chain are the beta wolves. Betas make up a majority of the population and are the middle-class citizens here. They perform the normal duties that go along with most towns. They are given a moderate education to assist them in performing their tasks. Lastly are the omegas. These are the wolves that perform the necessary but unpleasant jobs for the village. As you probably saw, Omegas live outside the city walls because there is not enough room inside. They also perform the more strenous tasks by acting as farmers or guardsmen."

"Oh, that's what that symbol on all the guards' heads meant!" Tails exclaimed, greatly interested in what was being said. Sonic was barely paying attention and kept dozing off throughout. Cream had begun talking to Cheese, and Knuckles had turned his thoughts to the master emerald.

"Yes, alphas have silver names and have this type of symbol," she said, pointing to her own mark. It looked a fish, facing left. "Betas are marked by a symbol resembling a "B" and are written here in blue. Finally, omegas are given a mark like an inverted "U" and have names in this record that are black." She flipped through the book slowly, showing them all the names listed in reference. Tails noticed something very odd on one page.

"Wait!" Ayn stopped and looked at him. "Can you go back a few pages?" She turned back a number of pages when Tails saw it again.

"That's the page I saw. What does THAT color mean?" He pointed at a green name on the page and read the name: Sky. "Wasn't that the name of the guard that tried to keep us from getting in?" She abruptly slammed the tome shut.

"uh...yes, it is." Sonic perked up and suddenly found himself interested in what was being said. He wanted to know more about this guard and what happened.

"Why is his name different?"

"Well...I suppose I can trust you all with this story," she said as she let go of the book. It slowly hovered to it's original place in the center of the room.

"Sky was born like any other pup, and when he was born, he was taken to the highest room in this building, like all others born in this clan. There, a group of mystics live and study the ways of the world. Nothing is allowed to go there save other mystics and newborns. Trespassing is punishable here by death, for some of the things that are studied could change an unworthy wolf forever, causing them to go insane.

It was 17 years ago, when I was still a child. I remember the mystics were bringing him in and had to go through the foyer. Every newborn is celebrated by the alpha family and we gather to see it before it is designated in one of the three groups. As I looked, I noticed that he had remarkable eyes, unlike anything I've ever seen. They were different colors, which is strange for wolves. That is not what made his eyes so fascinating to me, though. I noticed, after looking for a time, that they changed. At one point, one eye was red and the other blue, and in the blink of an eye, both had become a light green. I wanted to find out why they changed in that way, but before I could find out, he had to be taken to the study to be designated by the mystics. A long time passed with him in that tower and when he finally emerged, he was an omega. I found that very strange because he seemed to have such a good heart. My mother told me when I had grown older that it was done because he had immense destructive power that the mystics feared. His eyes were indicative of the four elements, which he had the power to control. Only by keeping him unaware of this power could this village be saved. This went well for a time, and he remained oblivious to the power that was secretly stored inside of him. His eyes slowly started to lose their ability to change, finally settling at a blue color, which he still retains today. 11 years went by from the day he passed through this hall until he finally met her..."






"Do you understand the class sytem here now?" Sky asked Amy.

"I think so. That means you're an omega right?"

"Yes, I am. After my birth I lived the normal life of any omega in this tribe. I had no parents so I survived by thievery, which always left me feeling guilty. I either had to steal or I would die, and I had determined early on that I was going to live. I continued with this behavior until one day. I was 11 at the time and I was running from one of the village farmers. I hadn't been careful enough and he caught me trying to take some of his chickens. I just kept running for what I thought was hours without looking back. I didn't have to because he never gave up, always staying just a few yards behind me. I turned a corner when I suddenly ran into somebody. We both fell into a ditch right beside one of the houses, just out of sight of the farmer. I turned my head around and looked at the person who I had hit. It was a girl, wearing a nice dress, which had been ruined in the fall. She wore a circlet around her head and I noticed the symbol of alpha. I was about to apologize and beg for forgiveness since contact between an alpha and omega is forbidden when I realized we weren't out of danger yet. I clapped my hand over her mouth, aware that the farmer was almost on top of us and any sound might cost me dearly. She struggled, but I held her tightly, afraid of what might happen if we were discovered.

It took a while, but the farmer finally left, and we were left alone. I still held her because I knew she would scream for help if I let her go, but she had stopped attempting to escape. I knew I couldn't hold her there forever, so I decided to talk to her and see if she would agree to keep the whole incident quiet.

'I'm going to let you go now, but you have to promise not to scream, okay?' I tried to talk quietly because I didn't want anyone else outside to know what I was doing. She didn't respond, but just glared at me.

'I know it's hard for you to understand, but if anyone finds out about this, I'll be killed. As an omega, you do anything you need to to survive, and right now, I need to make sure that you will keep quiet about this.' My eyes were starting to water. I was certain I was going to be executed, and I have to admit, I was terrified. Luckily, it must have effected her somehow because she looked at me as if to say 'I understand, I'll pretend this never happened.' She wasn't like other alphas, who just cared about themselves. She felt what I was feeling, and actually CARED about me, an omega, the type of creatures she was taught were the lowest form of life in existence.

I slowly let go of her mouth, still petrified that she would give me away. I could feel tears start to flow down my face, and I looked away. I didn't want her to see that someone like me, who had lived in a merciless world, actually had weakness. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and for once in my life, it wasn't meant to harm me. I turned my head and looked at her, just realizing how..beautiful she was. Her fur was a light gray color and was clean, except for a few patches from the fall. Her eyes were a stunning gold with tiny specks of brown. I suddenly wasn't scared anymore, and instead, I felt secure, as if I was invincible.
'Don't worry, you'll be okay,' she said, smiling at me. 'Here...'

I looked down and realized she was offering me money. I remember feeling completely amazed. Not only did she show me compassion, but whe was actually offering me something without expecting anything back. I wanted to tell her that I couldn't take the money, but she grabbed my hand and forced me to take it.

'I'm Roe,' she stated, blushing slightly.

I replied, telling her my name and we both just stood there for a while. I was expecting her to say something, and she must have been expecting me to talk. Another couple minutes passed in awkward silence before she actually spoke again.

'I have to get going, so...bye.' I remember her just barely finishing the sentence before running off, and as soon as she left, I knew that I had to see her again. The only problem was that she lived right in the middle of the city. I realized I would have to sneak through dozens of houses just to get there and when I did, what could I do? It's not like I could just walk in and try to talk to her. I went on for days, trying to think of a way to make it work. I barely ate, and I didn't talk to anyone. I couldn't get her out of my head.

I decided to do the only thing I could think of; I was going to sneak into town and leave a note outside her window. I had spent a lot of time looking at the palace, trying to find her so I would put the note in the right place, and I finally learned where she stayed. I went well past midnight, just before everyone would wake up. The guards would be less intent at that time, tired from the night. I was able to get in with little trouble. The hard part was actually climbing up three stories to her window. I held the note tightly in my right hand and began scaling the wall as soon as I was sure the guards had finished their last patrol. It started raining lightly, and the stone of the wall became slippery. That didn't stop me though because without her, I felt something empty. All that kept me from freezing in fear was the image of her I had kept in my head for weeks.

I reached the window and looked inside. Sure enough, I saw her, asleep in her bed. I stayed there for a while, just watching her sleep. The threat of execution for what I was doing wasn't even present in my mind. They could have killed me on the spot for all I cared. From that height, I could see the sky beginning to brighten. I was almost out of time, and while I wasn't afraid of dying, I was afraid that I would never speak with her again. I placed the note against the window and used a mixture I had made with materials around my shelter to make it stick. I climbed down quickly but carefully, and escaped back outside of the fortress, into my little village again."

"Awww...that's so sweet! Amy squeeled. She began to get a little depressed. "I wish Sonic would do things like that for me..."

"I should never have done that." Sky retorted. "Things got a whole lot worse later on."

"But you really cared about her. Why would you wish that you hadn't met her?"

"Because then I couldn't have hurt her..." He was obviously upset, and Amy wanted to find out what made him think that.

"What happened?"

"My note had asked her to go into the forest, straight from the city gates and then turn at a certain tree that had vines wrapping around it in a design like an "X". I waited in a cave that I had found and used as shelter for years. It would provide the perfect place away from everyone else. I sat in my small little shelter for hours, just waiting. I was about to give up when I heard her faint voice.

It echoed through the cave and my heart started pounding. She had actually answered my note! I just sat there for a while thinking I must just be hearing something, when I heard her again, a little louder.

'You came!' I exclaimed, jumping up. I was smiling more than ever I had before, and she saw my excitement.

'Of course I came, I wouldn't just ignore your note!'

We talked for a long time about everything. I told her how I had to steal to survive, and she told me about how she had no one to talk to. We were both so curious and interested in the life the other lead, and that's when we came to an agreement. She wanted to learn how to catch her own food, and survive without others, and I wanted to learn why things were the way they were. We met every 3 days and taught each other everything we knew. Thought I was genuinely interested in what she told me, what I wanted more than anything else was to see her. I never got over that sense of security she gave me when she was around, even after four years. I just wish they could have lasted..."

"..." Amy remained silent, waiting for him to continue.

"I was 15 when everything came crashing down. She must have stayed out a little too long one night because someone came looking for her. We were talking about what we wanted to accomplish in life, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of the villagers about 100 yards in the distance. He had seen everything, and he was too far away for me to stop him. My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach. As soon as our eyes met, he ran, sprinting for the city gates, where he knew the guards would stop me from entering. I pushed with everything I had, running after him, but I failed. I saw him enter the city and head straight for the capital. Roe had followed me and now the guards saw what was happening. I felt as if I was just ripped out of a dream and thrown into a hellish nightmare. I knew it wouldn't be long before the alpha family sent bounty hunters to find us. I didn't care about them finding me, I just wanted Roe to be safe. What would they do if they caught her? She might be executed or, what I was more afraid of, she would be made an omega and have to live the way I did. No, I would never allow them to do that.

So we ran. We ran straight away from the accursed village, hopelessly trying to escape what we both knew was unavoidable. The hunters were trained in an unbelievably severe camp to be able to catch anything they needed to, and right now, they needed to catch us. I only knew of one way to save Roe, though she would never be able to return. I had created a circuit of tunnels underground to throw off any followers, and I thought it just might be enough for her to escape. I looked into her eyes, the same stunning eyes I had found so much warmth in, but now they had a strange look of terror in them as well.

There were only a few minutes to act. I explained to her exactly how to navigate through my maze to reach the other side. I was confident that I had taught her enough to survive on her and remain unseen. Her only chance was for me to keep the hunters at bay long enough for her to get a safe distance away.

'But when will we see each other again?' I heard her say, tears flowing down her face. I was unsure we would ever meet again, but I didn't want to see her sad.

'I promise, I'll survive and come for you as soon as possible.' I knew I couldn't promise to survive. I could not control what the alpha family would do to me, and my heart wrenched. I thought it was the last time I would ever see her."

Sky didn't want to continue. It hurt so much just thinking about it and he couldn't stop from crying. Amy's eyes were about to burst with tears as well, but she held her composure. He needed her to be strong right now.

"I'm sure she's still waiting for you. You just need to have faith."

After he recovered, Sky continued.

"For some reason, they didn't kill me. I was chained here and haven't been able to leave for two years. I guess I kept one part of my promise," he stuttered weakly.

"I just could never understand why they permitted me to live..."






"He was meeting secretly with an alpha?" Tails questioned, eager to learn the rest of the story.

"I remember the day I found out," Ayn recollected. "A beta had been sent out to find Roe. She had been gone for far too long and I was afraid that she had gotten hurt. I waited for almost two hours, pacing the foyer, hoping she was okay, when the beta returned, exhausted from running.

'My lady, I found miss Roe outside of the village...talking to an omega!' How could it have been possible? I had regarded Roe as a sister to me and taught her everything I knew. How could she disregard one of the most important laws of the land? I clenched my fist in anger, and immediately sent out the Hunters to capture them. The Hunters are an elite group of warriors whose only job is to find and destroy whatever it is they are after. Years of training goes into making them what they are, never losing their prey. Again I waited, this time in my study, for them to return. I felt an unimaginable fury towards Roe for betraying me, but Sky was the true object of my hatred.

The Hunters returned in less than an hour, holding Sky. He was badly beaten, still bleeding from his mouth. It was easy to tell he hadn't come willingly. They told me that Roe had been lost in a labyrinth of underground tunnels and that they had to pull out. I looked at Sky, my teeth clenched so tightly, I thought they would break. He looked up at me, and I went very uneasy. His eyes, which had faded to a solid color in the years before meeting Roe, were more vivid and alive than the day I first saw him pass through the foyer. I didn't know how, but there was something ominous about those eyes. Before I had time to react, I realized the mystics had come down from their perch and had joined us.

One of the mystics brought me to a seperate room to talk about what could be done.

'I want him dead!" I remember shouting, still holding on to my anger.

'My lady, you do not understand,' he told me. 'He may be what saves us someday!'

'What? What could we possibly need saving from?!' As I was saying this, the mystic showed me a scroll.

'That wolf is more powerful than you think,' he told me. 'Did you ever wonder why his eyes change color?' I had known it was significant somehow, but I never attempted to figure out why.

'Sky can control the four elements of this world: earth, wind water, and fire. We had to make him an omega because at any emotional extreme, he would have lost control, but only if he had some understanding of his power. If he was aware, it could result in the destruction of this city. By making him ignorant of what he was, he could not learn to make use of his power. But we have found use for him.

Before this age is done, we will face an attack from the greatest army we have ever seen, and it will swallow this city, leaving only death and destruction. Our only chance is to find a way to control him, find some way to use his powers the way we wish. We run a great risk by keeping him alive, but our chance of survival would be zero if he were dead.' I just couldn't stand it. My heart was so full of fury, and we could do nothing to him. I knew he had to suffer. He had to be punished for what he did. I knew just what could cause him that unrelenting pain I felt now, eating at my insides. I walked back to the foyer, where he had been taken. He looked me straight in the eye, no fear or regret present. He was not afraid to die, because he knew he had saved Roe, and that's all he cared about.

'You...will regret ever having crossed me! From this day forward, you will be senteced to a life of labor. You will be chained just outside the gates and be a guard, never allowed to leave. You will remain barely out of reach of the one place you are truly free, and the one person who cared about you. You made a horrible mistake, omega, and I can only hope that you never see happiness again, as long as you live! Send him away.'

They dragged him away, and for two years he has remained there, barely given enough food and water to survive and made to never sleep. Since then, his eyes faded again, more quickly than before, because he felt the highest level of sorrow one can feel.

"Woah..." Sonic added, the first thing he had said since they got into the palace.

"That's so sad," Tails commented.

"It may be a tragedy, but it had to be done." Ayn said, trying to turn to other subjects. She turned an eye to a clock standing opposite the door. "Oh, it's getting late! You must all be tired from your search. Why don't you stay here the night so you can regain some strength?"

"Yeah, that sounds good," Sonic sighed. "My legs could use a break."

"Your pink friend was already told and has gone to one of the rooms in the inn. We reserved three rooms for you. One for Tails and Knuckles, one for Cream and her pet, and one for the lovely couple."

"Couple?!" Sonic exclaimed. "Uh...we're not a couple!" Tails and Knuckles chuckled at the mention of the idea.

"Come on Sonic, it's not that bad," Tails said reassuringly. Knuckles just kept laughing.

"Man, I didn't know you felt THAT way about her!" Knuckles could barely control himself, and Sonic punched him hard on the shoulder.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I just assumed..." Ayn stammered, just as a beta entered.

"My lady, the guest suites are ready."

"Thank you," she said to the beta, as she sent him away.

"Oh fine, I'll stay in the same room as Amy..." Sonic knew that Knuckles would never stay in the same room as Amy, and neither would Tails. Creams room was made for younger guests, so that wouldn't do either. They headed for the inn and got settled. Amy was ecstatic that Sonic was staying in the same room as her.

"Isn't this great! Now we get to spend all night watching movies and playing games and just talking!" Sonic sighed. He wasn't bothered so much by actually staying in the same room. He just couldn't stand Amy when she got like this. He managed to get himself to look tired, faking a yawn.

"I'd love to Amy, but I'm exhausted. I'm gonna hit the hay." He plopped down on the bed and managed to fall asleep. Amy sighed, somewhat depressed. She began thinking about Sky again and was reminded of how horrible she thought the alphas were for making him lose Roe. Amy knew exactly what it felt like to be without someone you love. Sonic ran away all the time and it left her with a horrible feeling in her stomach.

"I won't let him feel that way anymore!" she said to herself. "I'm going to set him free and help him find Roe."