Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alpha ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was a very cold night, and frost formed on the ground. Sonic woke up in the middle of the night, shivering under his blanket. He looked over to the window.

"Damn, we must have left it open last night." He walked over to the window, huddled up in the blanket, and closed it quickly. He turned around, still shivering, and was about to return to bed when he realized Amy was missing. At first, he wasn't too worried.

"She must be in the bathroom." That's when he noticed that her shoes were gone too, and he got anxious. He felt a small breeze and looked over at the door. It had been open slightly and he noticed something was attached to the door. He closed the door, still feeling the cold of the night and picked up the piece of paper, now very nervous that something had happened.

"Sonic,

I have left the city. The alphas here were wrong to chain that guard up and I'm going to do what is right. Don't try to follow me, because I'll be long gone before you read this. I can't explain in words how much it hurts me to have to leave you, but I am sure we will meet again, and maybe then, we can truly be together.

With Love,
Amy Rose"

Sonic felt fear take over his body. Of course he was afraid that the innocent people in the city might die, but his mind wasn't on that. He hadn't told anyone how he really felt about Amy because he had never known. At just that moment he realized that he couldn't live without her. Thoughts of the possible danger she was in flashed through his head. It was freezing outside, and she was with a creature that held so much power. He was so deep in thought that he hadn't realized he was running. His feet were carrying him out of the city. He felt the biting cold and looked at the ground, noticing that Amy had unknowingly made footprints in the frost. He reached the gate and saw one of the guards laying unconscious at his post. The chains that had held Sky were broken, and the footprints continued into the forest. The choas emerald would have to wait.

He took off, sprinting through the forest, dodging trees and brush. The canopy covered the sky, leaving no stars to light the way, but he just kept running. He felt like he was moving at the speed of light, but not going anywhere. The ground seemed to disappear beneath him, like his feet were flailing in the open air. He tried to figure out how he could find her in this void. What he DID find was a tunnel.

Sonic stopped his mad dash, and moved more slowly, not knowing what could be in the pit. He walked straight down it for a time, slowly losing hope that he would be able to find Amy. His legs were getting tired, and he started losing feeling in his fingers and toes. 'Amy must be freezing right now," he thought to himself. "I've got to find her."

Just then, there was a faint light. Sonic had no idea what the light was coming from, but for some reason, he could tell it was good, so he started running again. He saw the light getting closer, and started running faster. All of a sudden, he ran into the light and realized he wasn't in the forest anymore. He must have been gone longer than he thought, because he could see the sun starting to shine over the horizon.

"I hope the others won't be too worried," he thought to himself, looking around. The trees had disappeared and what he saw in front of him was a rolling green plain, stretching out for miles. Far off he could see great mountains and to his left, the ocean. Clouds dotted the sky overhead in various designs. Sonic just stared for a time, taking in the beauty of the scenery. How could a forest so dark and lifeless be so close to this stunning world? He lost his concentration, forgetting all about why he was there. When he finally looked at the ground beneath him, he saw that some of the grass had been pressed down.

He suddenly broke free from his daze and pushed ahead, still following the marks Amy had left. He was determined to catch her before she and Sky went too far. His eyes traced the path he was following, and way ahead he could see the two of them, just specks in the landscape. Sonic's heart felt a hundred pounds lighter. His feet started moving faster, and he found himself sprinting towards them. He hadn't noticed how tired or hungry he was, just how much he wanted to reach them. Only 100 yards away now, they were clearly visible. They had stopped, and they appeared to be sleeping. It had taken a while for Sonic to get there, running at his speed, so their journey must have taken much longer. When he arrived, there was a pile of embers burning nearby. Sonic looked at Amy and thought about how peaceful she looked asleep. He didn't want to move or make a sound for fear of disturbing her delicate form. She smiled, and it made Sonic feel warm.

He moved his foot stepped on a twig that had apparently escaped the fire, and Amy's eyes opened slowly. She looked at him, still tired from the trip.

"Sonic?" she whispered, smiling faintly. She was so innocent and kind, and Sonic felt guilt bubble in his stomach. He remembered all the things he had done to hurt her, and she still admired him more than anything in the world. She tried to force her eyes open, wanting to greet the blue hedgehog, but they were too heavy, and before long, she had gone to sleep again. Sonic just watched her sleep for a time, completely unaware of what was coming.

He heard a very faint noise behind him, and out of impulse, dove to his left. He turned around quickly to see Sky standing there, his sword where Sonic had stood less than a second earlier. Sky had woken up while Sonic was watching Amy and had creeped up behind him. Sky knew nothing about Sonic, only that he had fought him when they first met, and he was not very trusting. 'How do I know he hasn't come to capture me and Amy,' he thought to himself. His omega instinct had taught him to do anything to survive, even kill, and Sky was convinced that was the only way to stay alive.

At the same moment, Sonic had remembered what Ayn told him about Sky. If the story was true, he needed to be returned to the city before he caused any damage. He also considered that Amy could be at risk just being near Sky. 'No, I won't let him do anything to hurt her,' he said to himself, feeling more of a hatred for the wolf.

Amy had been suprised by the attack and had finally awaken. She no longer felt fatigued, but instead was taken over by fear. She knew Sonic enough to understand he would never turn down a fight. Sky was going to be in for a hell of a challenge. However, she had also learned that Sky was unbelievably determined, and if he felt that battle was necessary to find, Roe, he would do it. This wouldn't be just another fight for Sonic either. All she could imagine was one of them seriously hurt or dead, and her tears welled up.

"No, stop!" she screamed, trying to ge their attention, but they were already at it. Sky had rushed Sonic head on, his blade up, ready to strike. Sonic chuckled. He was much too fast for an attack like that to be effective. Just as Sky's sword was coming down, about to end Sonic's life, he jumped up landing behind Sky. 'This guys will be no problem,' he thought to himself. His ego had lowered his guard and when he turned to face Sky again, there he was, only a foot away. Sky's sword sliced the air, and had he not ducked at just the right time, it would have sliced through Sonic as well. Sonic kicked out Sky's legs, leaving him on his back, and retreated a safe distance. Sonic knew he had underestimated him.

Sky jumped onto his feet quickly and bared his teeth. Sonic noticed he had changed. He looked stronger and more serious as he again rushed Sonic. He was slightly faster as well. Sonic jumped back again, feeling more worried. Maybe this had been what Ayn was talking about. Amy continued to try to stop Sky, but he seemed to be lost in another world, almost as if he was sleepwalking. Nothing she said had any effect at all on the possessed wolf.

Sonic continued to dodge blow after blow from Sky, but he noticed he was getting quicker. After nearly a half-hour of the duel, Sonic stumbled, falling head first onto the ground. He turned, realizing he had made a big mistake, and that it may be his last. Sky was right behind him, as expected, and he was about to exact a fatal blow to the hedgehog.

"Sky!"

A voice could be heard, but it wasn't Amy's. Like a key to a door, the voice opened up a gate, bringing Sky back to reality. He dropped his weapon, bearing an expression of disbelief. All his memories returned, flooding his mind to the point of bursting. He turned his head, his face unchanging, and his heart became lighter. After two years of pain and agony, he had found her.

Roe stood 20 yards away, her face bright with joy. Tears were flowing from her eyes like a stream. She had grown since she was forced to flee the city. She was more mature, and she no longer wore the circlet that was given to her by the alphas. Her mark was faded, and her fur resembled Sky's, dirty and matted. None of it mattered to Sky, though. To him, she was still more beautiful than anything he had seen in his own life.

He could no longer hold back. Sky could feel his cheeks become wet as tears rolled down his face. He was so lost in this feeling of pure happiness, he could not express it. His face remained glued in that same expression as he started to walk towards Roe. He was certain it must have been a dream. She just stood in the same spot, too filled with happiness to move.

Sky finally reached her, and she threw her arms around him, hugging him so hard he felt he may pass out. He realized this could't be a dream. It was too real and too good to be one of his dreams. Since he lost her, he had had nothing but nightmares every night that tore at his insides. He no longer held back, holding her tight against him. Neither of them wanted to let go, too afraid of losing the other again. They said nothing, only embracing each other for what, to them, seemed like forever.

"That's so sweet!" Amy noted, trying to keep herself from crying. Meanwhile, Sonic had recovered and regained his confident and cocky composure.

"Hey, I'm not finished with you yet!" Sonic exclaimed, feeling humiliated that he was almost beaten. He had not been careful enough, but now he knew his mistake.

"Leave him alone Sonic! Can't you see he's finally happy?! You are so inconsiderate sometimes!!" Amy's eyes burned with anger at Sonic's comment. Although his heartlessness at the wolves situation made her furious, she was more upset that he was never even near that compassionate to her. Amy was sure that as far as he was concerned, she could completely disappear without a trace and it would mean nothing to him.

"Inconsiderate?! I ran all this way just to save you from this psycho!" Sonic became very defensive, sure that he was doing the right thing.

"Psycho?! You don't even know who he is or what he's been through!"

"Are you kidding?! I know plenty about him, and I need to get him back to the village before he causes any real damage!"

"No, I'll never let you take him back there! He was so miserable!"

"Do you even know what he's capable of?! You put that whole city in trouble by freeing him!"

"Chaining him to a wall and keeping him from seeing someone he really cares about was completely inhumane!"

"Who cares?! He's a monster!" The last comment hit Amy hard. She couldn't hold in all her frustration and sadness anymore, and she started sobbing.

"Why are you so heartless Sonic? Don't you think of anyone else but yourself?" She couldn't take it anymore. All she knew is that she had to be as far away from Sonic as possible at that moment. She turned around and just ran. No destination in mind, just away. Sonic could see her slowly shrinking as she went over a hill and disappeared form sight. Sonic felt it almost immediately. Guilt hit right in the pit of his stomach, almost making him sick, but he didn't understand. He was going to make sure all the people in the village were safe. He did care about Amy, but he always thought that it was better to benefit many than to benefit a few. If he was doing what he thought was best, why was this feeling plaguing him?

"She's a very special girl," Sky chimed in. He and Roe had heard the whole argument. "I can tell that she cares about you more than anything, even when you are yelling at each other like that. For god's sake, she wouldn't shut up about how brave and cute and perfect you are."

"I know..." Sonic sighed. 'There's that feeling again' he thought to himself, shame devouring his insides.

"...A monster, huh?" Sonic realized that Sky had no idea what he was or what he could possibly do. Sonic proceeded in telling him as much as he knew, everything from why he was chained up to the power he held unknowingly. Sky felt depression wash over him. He was nothing more than a tool for those damn Alphas from the beginning.

"To think that all along, I was being used. I was nothing more than a slave..." Sky muttered, barely audible. "All that anger and hatred I had when fighting you...that was that power, wasn't it? I guess that explains why you were so intent on finding us then. You're afraid I'll destroy them."

"Uh...yeah, that sounds good." Sonic stuttered. Unfortunately for him, Roe sensed his anxiety.

"That wasn't the only reason though, was it?" Sonic looked away. He hadn't even told Tails about what he had been feeling lately. Why would he divulge his feelings to two strangers when he couldn't bring himself to even talk to his closest friend. He searched his mind for some way to avoid the conversation, becoming nervous when his mind returned nothing.

"I know you don't exactly trust me," Roe explained, placing her hand on Sonic's shoulder. "But I think it will be in the best interest of both you and your friend if you let me help." Maybe it was the peacful breeze that blew by him, cooling his face and blowing leaves all around him. Maybe it was the now bright sun, hanging in the sky, shining brightly in his eyes. But something at that moment just told him that he had to tell her. For himself and for Amy.

"...I..thought she was in trouble..." Sonic looked down, averting his eyes from either of the wolves that now watched him. "She...means a lot...to me.."

"If you were just trying to protect her, then you need to find her and let her know. You don't want to lose her over a misunderstanding." Sky just looked right at Sonic, sympathetic to what he must be feeling. "If you let her walk out of your life, you're going to be miserable for years. Trust me, I know." He looked at Roe as he said this and smiled, still just glad to finally see her again.

Sonic slowly got on his feet. "Alright." He regained his cocky smile, aware of what he had to do. "I'll find her." At that, he sped of in the direction he had last seen Amy headed. A trail of dust left Sky and Roe coughing, desperate for fresh air.

"Damn, how can he run like that?" Sky choked. "I'm gonna break his legs the next time he does that!" he exclaimed, still struggling for air as he saw a tiny blue speck disappear into the green mountain scenery.