Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Alpha ❯ Mystic Prophesy ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tails shot up to a sitting position on the bed. The curtains were closed and the light was still off. Tails took a second to look around when he noticed Knuckles positioned awkwardly on the bed beside his. Somehow, he had managed to turn completely around so that his feet were now near where the pillow should go. His left arm draped over one side of the bed. One foot was placed neatly on the headboard and the other was comfortably placed on the pillow. His air of seriousness had washed away as he lay on the matress, now appearing almost sweet. Tails shook his head at the sight of his supposedly headstrong friend before hearing a knocking at the door.

Tails quickly threw his sheets aside and rushed to the door to see a young rabbit standing before it.

"Hi Cream, what's up?" the fox mumbled, still not fully awake.

"Hey, Tails! I just woke up, and I was bored of staying in my room, so I wanted to see if everyone wanted to do something around town!"

"Yeah, that sounds good." Tails said as he stretched. "Unfortunately, Knuckles is too far gone to try and get him to come along" he stated, gesturing to the sleeping echidna in the room. "Are Sonic and Amy going to come?"

"I went to ask them, but their door was locked and noone answered when I knocked." Cream said in a worried voice. "Do you think they're okay?"

"Yeah, they're probably still sleeping." Tails chuckled as he thought to himself. 'They were probably up ALL night..'

"What's so funny Tails?"

"Oh, nothing. Let's get going!"

With that, they left the room, leaving Knuckles passed out in his "unique" position. His snores were still audible as the exited the inn where they had stayed.

The sun had lifted itself just over the horizon, the light dimly illuminating the pleasant scenery. The two animals felt a shock as they took their first step outside. The sun hadn't been able to radiate much of its warmth to the town in the time it had revealed itself to the quiet town. It was still very chilly, as should have been expected in the early morning. The ground was damp and made squishing sounds as they walked, the frost now melted in the recent sunlight. A few of the villagers were out and about at this time, but for the most part were still resting in their quaint huts. The few that had awoken greeted Tails and Cream kindly as they walked by.

The yellow-orange fox wrapped himself up in his two tails in an attempt to warm himself slightly. He continued to examine the sight of the town in the dawn light when he noticed Cream was shivering, though trying to hide it. It was her nature to try to keep others from worrying about her. It was something that Tails admired and, at the same time, wished she wouldn't do. She felt a soft pressure on her arm, and before she could react, Tails had pulled her close and surrounded her with his warm, fluffy tails. She could feel the warmth of his body, and his bushy tails protected her from the gentle breeze that went by, numbing whatever it touched.

"Is that a little better?" Tails questioned the young rabbit, now comfortable against him.

"Yes, thank you Tails." She had finally ceased the shaking of her small body.

"Why didn't you just tell me that you were cold?" He already knew the answer, and had asked the question more because he wanted her to know that he wanted her to be comfortable.

"I just didn't want you to worry about me." Her face turned a light shade of red as she blushed, embarrassed that he had seen right through her. "I would have survived."

Before long, the warmth of the sun had reached the city hidden in the forest, and the residents had ventured from their dens to go about their days. The canopy of the forest blocked some of the sky, but the visible part of the sky revealed no clouds or coverage. Tails and Cream spent most of the day together under the clear blue of the heavens, the perfect day for just being outdoors in the fresh air. Luckily, the townfolk recognized them as friends of Sonic's, generously supplying them with breakfast and a few things they might need once they left the town. After visiting one last store, they began heading for the inn again, hoping that their other friends might have woken up.

"Tails!" Now almost at the inn, he and Cream looked back to see Ayn running towards them. They stopped and stood motionless, aware that something must be happening for her to look as panicked as she did. She finally reached the two of them and grabbed Tails' shoulders, shaking him.

"Where is Mr. Sonic? We need help!" she yelled, clearly unable to control herself anymore.

"What's happening?!" Tails stopped her from shaking him and look her in the eyes, fearing the worst.

"We're being attacked! Hundreds of robots are attacking the city walls! Our army is too small to hold them all back! Please, we need you and your friends' help!"

Tails remembered that Sonic's door had been locked when they checked earlier that day. He looked up at the inn and started sprinting. 'I sure hope he's just sleeping' he thought to himself fearing that Sonic might not be able to help. Once inside, he located Sonic's room and shook the handle violently, almost ripping it off the door. Still locked. He realized he didn't have much time and stepped back a few feet. He had seen this on police shows, but wasn't quite sure if it would work. He kicked the door with all his might and...it didn't budge. The force of the kick sent him back a good three of foor feet, and now he was laying there on his back.

"Tails! Are you okay?!" Cream said rushing over to him.

Tails wasn't moving, just staring up at the ceiling. He was winded but camly managed to say a few words. "Can you go get Knuckles, Cream? I think he's awake now."

The rabbit hesitated slightly, and then ran to get their red friend. Tails didn't move the whole time.

"Are you going to be okay?" Ayn asked, now a bit calmer. Tails kicking the door almost looked like a cartoon, and she thought it was quite humorous, but she decided it would be rude to laugh at him after that, especially when he was going to help them fight off an army.

"Yeah, I'll be fine as soon as I can breath again." He stated with an airy voice. Just as he recovered and began to get to his feet, they saw Knuckles and Cream running down the hall. Knuckles wasted no time and punched the door open, not thinking twice about it. Tails looked at him, slightly embarrassed. "I made it looser..."

They ignored his comment as they looked inside the vacant room. Both Sonic and Amy were missing without a trace. They didn't know that Sonic had wanted to make sure they couldn't find him and had taken the note Amy wrote with him, along with anything that made it obvious where they were going.

"What do we do now?!" Ayn yelped, now very nervous. "How can we stop them?"

"Hey, we're just as good as Sonic is!" Knuckles stated. For once, Sonic wouldn't get all the glory. He started dashing outside, fists up. "Come on, lets have some fun!"

They followed him and when they finally got outside, they saw he had already gotten started with the army, a trail of parts behind him. Tails looked up to notice the once peacful blue sky was being overtaken by a black cloud as an immense aircraft loomed ever closer to the terrorized city. As far off as it was, Tails could make out a symbol on the underside of the giant airship. The face possessed a very familiar mustache and round head. It didn't take long for him to realize who was behind the attack.

"Eggman..."






A blue blur whipped across the formerly quiet plains, a wave of dirt not far behind. Since leaving Sky and Roe in a cloud of dust, Sonic had been dashing at top speed, but still saw no sign of Amy in the landscape. After all the years she had chased him, it had finally payed off. She was much faster now, though she never thought she would have to use her speed the way she was, avoiding Sonic instead of searching for him.

However, it was only a matter of time before Sonic's eyes caught sight of the pink hedgehog, still sprinting towards the horizon. Her figure was becoming more and more visible as Sonic raced towards her, the air occasionally lifting him off the ground a few inches as a result of his mach speed. 'I've never seen her move so fast!' he thought, feeling ashamed and proud at the same time. 'What the hell was I thinking?..'

Before long, Sonic had caught up with Amy and ran beside her. She knew she couldn't outrun him and started slowing to a stop. She tried to turn her head away from Sonic, but not before he was able to steal a glance, noticing her still red eyes and dried tears from crying. It was quiet for what seemed like hours, the two of them just standing there as Sonic tried to think of the words to say to make things right again. He looked down at the ground and kicked a rock that had been lying there and watched it roll a few feet before stopping, returned to an eternity of immobility. He opened and closed his mouth a few times, trying to force words out.

"I, uh...talked to Sky...after you ran off...and..you were right..he seems like a pretty good guy..." Amy turned her head to look at Sonic, trying to listen and understand what he was saying, although she couldn't really see where he was going with the conversation at that point.

"I guess the only I can say right now is that I'm sorry...I just wish there was a better way to say it. I shouldn't have said those things before I knew the whole story...I..was just...afraid.." Sonic studied a blade of grass on the ground as he said this, feeling too guilty to look at the hedgehog he had hurt so much in the past.

Amy began to speak, her voice still sounding on the brink of tears. "What...what were you afraid of?" She asked, now with a confused look on her face. She had never heard Sonic admit to being scared of anything.

"Don't worry about it...I'm just..really glad you're okay." Sonic blushed a little as he said this. He didn't feel like he could admit any of his feelings to Amy then. He just wanted her to be the optimistic, cheery girl she always was. Then again, he thought, now might be a good time to tell her how I really feel. In the end, he decided not to say anything and just think about it a little more.

He finally managed to lift his head up and look into her green eyes. Her eyes were still watering slightly, and they glittered in the sun. Sonic noticed his heart rate increasing and felt completely unlike himself. Amy walked over slowly and hugged him, but it wasn't the way she normally hugged him. Instead of squeezing him to death, she just held him softly, her face in light contact with his.

"I forgive you. I'm sorry I blew up at you." she said quietly into his ear. The sun warmed them both, rays of light escaping through the scattered, puffy clouds and spreading its nourishment to the world. For a few minutes they just stood there, embracing each other. Sonic found that he actually liked being this close to Amy. 'Maybe I SHOULD tell her now...' he considered, his mind doing loops. It seemed like the perfect moment to him. He started to find it a little harder to breath, maybe because his heart was in his throat. He tried to make some type of sound, and started to choke out a few words when suddenly, they both felt the heat from the sun disappear, and a chill wind struck their bodies. Their eyes turned to find the source of the sudden cold breeze and discovered the cause. Way in the distance was a black cloud that was devouring the sky, covering the sun. They were too distant to know what was happening, but what they did know was that something was wrong.

"We're gonna have to finish talking about this later." Sonic said, somewhat relieved he didn't have to say anything about what he was feeling. "We'd better find out what's going on!"

"Wait! We have to find Sky and Roe first!" Amy exclaimed, worried something might have happened to them.

"Alright, let's go back to where we left them, that's as good a start as any!" With that, they tore off towards the ominous blackness, side by side the whole way.






About ten minutes away (at Sonic speed), Sky and Roe laid on the soft, green grass, lost in ecstasy. It had been so long since they had seen each other, and now each of their hearts felt complete, no longer aching and broken. They held each other close but said nothing, but cherished just being so near. They had been in such deep euphoria that neither of them had noticed the air grow cold or the two hedgehogs standing stopping just a few feet from them. Only when Amy interrupted did they finally realize the difference around them.

"Aww, you two looked absolutely adorable!!" Sonic rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, cute, but I think you guys might want to take a look that way" he stated, pointing towards the great cloud in the distance. It was growing, that much was known, and the air seemed to be getting more chill by the second.

"Wait, that looks like it's around where the city is..." Sky observed, torn over what to do. On one hand, he despised the inhabitants for imprisoning him there and figured they were getting what they deserved. He couldn't deny his nature, however, and felt obliged to help them. Even a peasant, given worse treatment than the stray animals living off of the refuse of the city, could have compassion and value for the lives of others.

"Come on! We've got to help!" Sky was completely confused. Those words had come from Roe's mouth, but why would she be so quick to jump to their aid?

"You're going to help them just like that after they exiled you?! Why should we do anything at all?!" Sky barked out, his mind set on the years he had spent tortured by a city that had forced Roe to flee into the wilderness. His eyes burned with rage as the last two years of his life flashed through his mind. The alphas spitting on him, the betas always mocking and harrassing him. Even the omegas looked down in shame as they passed him, chained in agony to a city he wanted nothing to do with.

"I know exactly what you're feeling," Roe said quietly, sitting down right next to him. "but they are still a part of both of us and we're responsible for helping them." Her eyes were radiant, exactly the way he remembered them six years ago when they first met. All the images dissappeared, and he felt at peace as he admired the beautiful girl sitting next to him.

"Don't let personal matters affect your judgement. If it was any other group of people, you wouldn't hesitate for a second. You have a good heart, so use it to do some good!" Sky looked down at the ground, ashamed he had even said what he did. She was right and he knew it. He felt a gentle touch under his chin that forced him to look back into Roe's eyes.

"Now let's get going before things get too bad." she said, smiling as she spoke. Another cool breeze, less violent than the first, blew by, and the grass whispered as the wind wove through it. Before long, they had leaned in closer to each other, nuzzling each other. Slightly embarrassed by watching them display their affections (having just a few minutes earlier been only seconds away from telling Amy how he felt), Sonic looked away and interrupted.

"That's real cute 'n all, but don't we have business to take care of?" Luckily for him, it was enough to avert their attention back to the trouble they were about to face.

"We might be in for quite a ride." Sky said to Sonic, sounding cocky.

"I just hope you can keep up." Sonic retorted, equally confident in himself. With that, the four of them headed straight for the battle, tracking back to hand-made labyrinth and the city, hidden in the trees.