Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ City Of Peril ❯ It's Just One Of Those Days... ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Let's go for a wild ride!

Chapter 2: It's Just One Of Those Days…

They all watched in horror as they learned of the bus's problem. It had been somehow taken over by a robot disguised as a person. The strange thing was, no one was making any demands. It seemed that the bus and the children on board had been taken for no real reason. It was headed for the Brooklyn Bridge, and the only message the police had received other than to stay away was that they would drive off the bridge.

Sonic: Come on, we only have a few minutes before it gets there!

Scotty: You're right…Let's go!

They rushed out the door once again, not sure how they would stop the bus, only that they would. Tails decided to come along this time. The group arrived at the bridge just in time to see the bus rushing toward it.

Sonic: Anybody got a plan?

Scotty: You'll be the first to know!

The bus reached the bridge, and it was headed for them. They stood in the center of the road, and knew they were running out of time. The bus didn't stop, and there were only a few seconds left. There was a familiar sound above them, and they looked up to see Metal-2 land in front of them.

Tails: Metal! You escaped!

Metal-2 said nothing, and instead pointed his blasters at the robotic driver of the bus. He fired several shots, damaging it severely. The robot's arms turned the wheel, and the bus swerved just before hitting them. It crashed through the wall of the bridge, and plummeted down. Metal-2 was already in the air beneath it. He shoved up against it, trying to slow the fall with his jet engines. A large cargo barge was passing under the bridge just then, and the bus made a hard, but non-lethal, landing on it. Inside, the children cheered and yelled as Tails flew down to Metal-2.

Tails: You did it, Metal!

The robot looked down at him. There was something strange about the robot; something Tails couldn't quite figure out. He shrugged it off.

Metal-2: That is correct, weakling.

Tails: What?

Metal-2 grabbed Tails harshly by the shoulder.

Metal-2: If you only knew…

Tails: …Metal, stop…That…that hurts…

Metal-2 forced Tails into the bus, and picked up a nearby radio on the ground. He spoke into it while Sonic and the others wondered what was going on.

Metal-2: Everything is ready. You may begin.

A panel of metal beneath the bus separated from the rest of the cargo containers, and lowered the bus down into a hidden cavity. Two large doors closed over the top of it. Scotty somehow leapt down to the boat, and approached Metal-2.

Scotty: What in New York is going on?!

Metal-2: You will find out soon enough.

Scotty: No, I want answers now!

Metal-2 walked up to him, angrily. Scotty laid a hand on his sword, unsure of what else to do.

Metal-2: I will not tell you…But perhaps this will give you a hint…

Scotty: What will give me a hint?

The boat rumbled, and began to slowly sink. Scotty looked around, stunned, and didn't notice Metal-2 coming ever closer. The robot grabbed Scotty by the throat, but did not choke or lift him. He only held him there.

Scotty: What…What are you doing?!

Metal-2: This ship is going down…And we're going down with it.

Sonic noticed the strange happenings, and he and Knuckles made it down to the boat.

Scotty: Metal, this isn't funny! Let me go!

Metal-2: You're not going anywhere except down.

Scotty: Wait a minute…You didn't escape! You're under Robotnik's control!

The voice of Robotnik was heard over Metal-2 radio.

Robotnik: Good work once again, detective. This was all a setup!

Sonic: What?!

Knuckles: unbelievable!

The barge was now halfway under, and was sinking fast. Scotty reached for his sword, but Metal-2 snatched it away.

Scotty: My sword!

Metal-2: Tell me…Why do you value this device so highly?

Scotty: You'd never understand, not when you're like this!

Metal-2: It doesn't seem to value you.

Metal-2 activated the sword.

Metal-2: This is quite a lethal weapon for someone who is so set against violence.

Scotty: It doesn't kill unless it's used by the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

Metal-2: Do you suppose it's waterproof? Or should I just find out now?

They went to the edge of the boat, and metal-2 held the sword out over the rising water.

Scotty: Please…no…

Metal-2: your begging might affect the judgment of a person, but it will not sway me.

Scotty paused for a moment, and made a lunge for the sword. He caught it with his hand, and tried to pull it back. In the middle of it all, the switch was hit, and the sword deactivated. Scotty pulled with all his might, but the robot wouldn't let go. The water was now lapping at their feet.

Sonic: I think we need a way off the boat…

Then, as if on cue, a helicopter was heard flying closer to them. It was soon above them, and a rope ladder extended from it. Sonic and Knuckles climbed up into the helicopter to find none other than Simon piloting it. He turned to face them.

Simon: High, guys!

Sonic: Simon?! How'd you-and-but-Huh?!

Simon: You guys are all over the news. I saw the boat sinking, and-

Knuckles: We get it! Sorry, but we've also got a bigger problem right now.

Down below, Metal-2 wanted to shoot at the helicopter, but he was too busy with Scotty. The water was nearing their waists, and it was getting hard to move around. Simon flew the helicopter over to them, and Scotty grabbed onto the ladder with his free hand. They were lifted up, but Metal-2 did not grab on, and Scotty couldn't hold up the 300-pound robot. Instead, he somehow managed to free himself from the robot's grasp, and was quickly lifted up. Metal-2 still had his sword, though.

Scotty: No…

The helicopter landed on the bridge, and Sonic, Knuckles, and Scotty gathered together.

Scotty: Now what do we do?

Knuckles: We should get to Robotnik's base.

Sonic: Right.

Simon: I can get you there.

Scotty: No, we need you to get back home and tell the others.

Simon: Aw… Okay, I'll do it.

Simon lifted off, and went back to alert the others to the situation. Meanwhile, the two hedgehogs and the echidna rushed off toward the entrance to Robotnik's not-so-secret hideout. Once there, they ran down the hallway, and went through the door. The room hadn't changed at all, except that the water seemed to move around more.

Scotty: Okay, we're here, Robotnik!

Sonic: Yeah, you didn't honestly expect us to stay away, did you?

Knuckles: The police will be here any minute!

Robotnik was heard again over the speakers.

Robotnik: It's not that simple.

Sonic: What are you talking about?!

Robotnik: Let's just say I have big plans for the city…

Scotty: First my sword, now the city! You must be stopped!

Metal-2 flew down in front of them. He tossed the sword up and down in his hand.

Metal-2: You're not stopping anyone.

Scotty: Metal…How can you have changed this much? It's like you're not even fighting it this time!

Metal-2: My previous self was a wimp! I am a true killer.

Sonic: We can't give you the chance to do that.

Metal-2: It's not up to you.

Robotnik: Exactly. But I'm feeling unusually generous today, so I'll make you a deal. If you stop trying to turn my killer robot into a goody two-shoes, I'll release the children.

Sonic: What about Tails?

Robotnik: Fine, him, too. Just leave my robot alone!

Metal-2: Sir, you can't be serious!

Robotnik: Oh, but I am.

Metal-2: You are giving up a major tactical advantage!

Robotnik: But I would gain an even greater one!

Scotty considered the offer, biting his lower lip.

Scotty: Okay, we'll do it.

Sonic: Hang on! There has to be another way!

Scotty: These are innocent children we're talking about. Metal would've wanted it this way.

Sonic: …All right…I guess I see your point.

Knuckles: You heard us, Robotnik! Hand over those kids, and Tails, too!

Robotnik: Very well! I will have them transported to the surface.

Knuckles: I'll go check to make sure.

Knuckles walked toward the door, but he couldn't open it.

Robotnik: You're not going anywhere!

Sonic: But you said that-

Robotnik: That I'd release the children, and I did. I never said anything about you…

Scotty: Argh! I don't believe this!

Robotnik: Now, to exterminate you!

There was a loud alarm that went off, and the water slowly started to rise. The heroes attacked the door, but it wouldn't budge. Exhausted, they sat backwards away from the door. Metal-2 hovered behind them, watching their every move. Suddenly, there was explosion, and the door fell down. Behind it stood Billy, holding one of his latest inventions.

Billy: Does someone need to be rescued?

Knuckles: Billy!

Metal-2 landed on the platform and approached Billy. The echidna pressed a button on his invention, and pointed it at Metal-2. The robot froze in his tracks, and waves of electricity surged through him. He collapsed to the ground, unmoving. The water was rising fast, and everyone gathered around Billy. Scotty picked up his sword and held it tightly as Billy activated another device he had created. In a flash of light, they all disappeared.

Up on the surface, there was another bright flash, and they reappeared next to a bus full of children.

Scotty: I guess you worked out all the bugs on your portable transporter.

Billy: Well, perhaps not all of them, but enough to make it work.

Sonic: Let's make sure these kids get home safe.

There were several police officers behind them, and one walked up to them.

Officer: We'll take care of that.

Scotty: Good…I need a break.

Tails helped the others out of the bus, and walked over to his friends. Sonic knelt down to him.

Sonic: Tails! Buddy, are you okay?

Tails: Yeah, Sonic, I'm fine.

Knuckles pointed at Metal-2.

Knuckles: What happened to him?

Billy: Electromagnetic pulse. It fries the circuits, and disables the machine. There was a possibility that it would fail.

Knuckles: Like what?

Billy: Well, I managed to concentrate the pulse, but I wasn't sure if it would penetrate the protective shielding under his armor.

Tails: Will he be okay?

Billy: His protected computer core was most certainly unaffected; he should be able to self-repair fairly soon. We should get him back to the base, and guide his recovery.

Simon flew down in the helicopter, and landed. They worked together to load Metal-2 into the helicopter, and got in themselves. Simon took off again, and they returned home.

All seems well now, right? RIGHT???!!!