Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ City Of Peril ❯ More Trouble ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

All is not as it seems…

Chapter 3: More Trouble

The ride home was quick, and it was late in the afternoon now. Metal-2 had been moved to the lab with Billy and Nightingale, and Tails had decided to stay and help, too. The others waited to anxiously to see the results.

Tails: Are you sure about this?

Billy: If we do it now, the chip will be more deeply integrated into his systems.

Nightingale: I don't see how it makes a difference either way, but we may not get another opportunity like this one.

Tails: It makes sense to me. Okay, let's go for it. After all, he did want to have it.

Billy: Agreed.

Tails managed to open the access panel in Metal-2's head, revealing an easy path to his internal circuitry. The fox was a little surprised to see rapid movement and small flashing lights coming from inside the head.

Tails: Hey, guys, come look at this!

They all had a look inside at the strange event.

Billy: It must be his nanorobots…They're rapidly repairing his sizzled circuits!

Nightingale: Whoa…it's amazing!

Tails: I think we should put that chip in now, before he reactivates.

Billy: Agreed.

Nightingale: I've got it right here.

She held out a computer chip. It was large, for a chip, but still a small device. The top was marked with a logo that looked like a lowercase `e'. Billy retrieved a soldering iron, and Tails showed them where to put it in at. Nightingale reached in with the iron and the chip, and applied it. Small sparks flew up from it, and bounced off the face guard she was wearing. When it was secured in the correct place, she stood back up, handed the iron to Billy, and closed the access panel.

Nightingale: There. It's in.

Tails: So now what?

Billy: Now, we wait. His self-repair function has some more work to do.

Tails: Can't we help?

Billy: No, it would be too much work, and we would only slow the process down. His own systems are far more qualified for this job than we are.

Tails: Oh.

Scotty opened the door and looked in.

Scotty: How's everything going?

Nightingale: The operation was a success…we hope.

Scotty: Well, that's not the worst news I've heard today.

Tails: Don't even joke.

It was decided that they should eat dinner while they waited. They finished their tacos as night fell on the city. Tails was wiping his hands off from the last one when a device on a nearby table started beeping. He ran over to it, and shut it off.

Sonic: What was that all about?

Tails: Metal is restoring power to his body. He must've finished the repairs.

Scotty: Will he be friend or foe?

Nightingale: We didn't pick up any signs of permanent implants, so hopefully it was just another one of Robotnik's override controllers. It would've lost its effect by now, though.

Billy: We should probably get to the lab.

Tails: Right.

Scotty: I'll come with you.

They approached the lab, and opened the door just in time to see Metal-2's eyes flicker for a moment, and begin glowing steadily. The robot sat up as they walked in.

Metal-2: Did anyone get the number of that truck that hit me?

Tails: Metal…Do you remember us?

Metal-2: Of course I do.

Scotty: So you're on our side, then, right?

Metal-2: Yes, I've changed for the better.

Nightingale: Good. Now, let's see if we can test that emotion chip.

Metal-2: …Ah, I am detecting the presence of a new chip. Let me activate it. …There.

Billy: We need to devise a test.

Tails: Uh…Anybody got a joke?

Scotty: Why did the chicken cross the road? …To get to the other side!

Crickets were heard chirping outside as everyone stared at Scotty.

Scotty: Well…At least he can tell it's not funny.

Tails: Rrriiigghhttt…

Nightingale: Hmm… How about-

She was interrupted when Sonic burst in the room.

Sonic: Guys, we've got trouble!

Scotty: What is it?

Sonic: Remember those kids we rescued? They're acting weird!

Scotty: So?

Sonic: They're rampaging down Wall street!!

All: What?!

They all rushed into the other room, and watched the news once again. It showed scenes of overturned cars, fires of various sizes, and people running away. The cause of it all were several robots with torn pieces of human disguises on them. They fires lasers from their eyes as they attacked everything in sight.

Scotty: So…They weren't kids at all!

Sonic: That creep tricked us again!

Knuckles: Come on, guys, we have to stop them!

Metal-2: I will not tolerate this! Let's hurry!

Scotty: Looks like the anger part works…

They hurried to the location of the incident.

Scotty: There they are! Let's get them!

The four heroes rushed into the fight, and attacked the robots, and easily overpowered them. There were more, though, and they all began attacking with lasers. Metal-2 returned fire, and quickly eliminated several of them. Scotty dodged a few shots, and sliced two in half with a single swipe of his sword.

Scotty: Is anyone else sensing that this is too easy?

Sonic: Yeah, I know what you mea-AAHHH!!!

He was interrupted when a laser hit his leg, sending him to the ground. It wasn't a powerful blast, but it was enough to burn him badly.

Scotty: Sonic!

Scotty headed for his friend, and Metal-2 came out of nowhere, tackling the robot responsible. Metal-2 ripped the robot to pieces, tearing it limb from limb and shredding it with his bare hands.

Metal-2: Perhaps you will think again before attacking my friends another time!

The hedgehog robot hurried over to Sonic.

Metal-2: Scotty, go. I'll handle this.

Scotty nodded, understanding, and hurried off to fight the others. Metal-2 took some medical supplies from his leg compartment, and bandaged Sonic's leg. He helped the hedgehog stand up, but Sonic still had to lean on his shoulder.

Metal-2: Sonic, are you all right?

Sonic: I will be…Thanks…

Metal-2: What are friends for? We should get you back. The others will take care of things here.

Sonic looked around. There were only a few robots left, and they were falling by the second. So, he agreed, and Metal-2 took him back to the base. Scotty and Knuckles returned soon afterwards with a cryptic message.

Scotty: I was about to destroy the last one, but a message flashed on its face. It said that Robotnik has the children at his base, and plans to get rid of them if we don't show up by midnight.

Sonic: Come on…Let's go…

Scotty: Sonic, you can't…Your leg is too badly hurt.

Sonic struggled to stand up.

Sonic: Are you kidding? This just tickles…

After a moment, the hedgehog collapsed into a chair.

Sonic: <sigh> On second thought… Maybe you should go without me.

Scotty: Get better soon, Sonic.

Sally: I'll take care of him. You guys go on ahead.

Metal-2: You heard the girl! Let's go get those kids back!

Scotty, Knuckles, and Metal-2 sped back to Robotnik's base. It was getting late now, but they continued on. When they arrived back inside the dome, they saw that the water was its normal depth, but it seemed to move around a lot on its own. Robotnik's voice played on the loudspeakers.

Robotnik: I see you showed up. Now, let's get down to business. I propose a simple trade. Your lives for theirs.

The doors on the box in the ceiling opened again, and this time, all of the children from the bus were lowered down. Metal-2 scanned them, and they were real. Not holograms, not robots, but the real things.

Robotnik: You see, I've done some traveling recently, and I brought back a very interesting pet.

Scotty: What? Sharks?

Robotnik: Oh, I'm afraid this is far better than sharks. But first, we trade. I'll release the children, and you'll turn yourselves over to me.

Knuckles: I don't get it. What are you hiding?

Robotnik: You shall find out soon enough…Now, do we have a deal?

Scotty: I'm not sure…Something is missing.

Knuckles: Prove to us you're a threat!

Scotty covered Knuckles's mouth, but it was too late. The water beneath them churned, and a gigantic, green, scaly hand reached up at the children. It grabbed their platform and shook it slightly before returning to the water.

Robotnik: And that's just the beginning… Now, I'm tired of saying this. Surrender to me, or else my pet will have a nice snack!

Scotty: Never, you coward!

Metal-2: Scotty, I have a plan.

Metal-2 whispered something to them. They nodded, and he carried them both to the platform. They freed the children, and one by one, Metal-2 carried them over to the door. Metal-2 made one last trip to carry knuckles and Scotty back just as the hand once again reached up out of the water. They all hurried back up the hallway, and met all of the children back up on the surface.

Scotty: Is everyone all right?

Child: Yes, thanks to you!

They all tried to hug Scotty and the others, and then the police arrived, once again.

Officer: Well, once again, you've saved our hides. Thanks, crime fighter.

Scotty: I couldn't do it without my team. And besides, we were just doing our job.

Their conversation was interrupted by movement from the water several hundred feet out. Uncountable numbers of air bubbles rushed upwards as the water churned. Down beneath, The dome of Robotnik's base split into four sections, and opened up, letting water flow in. This created a massive opening from which something huge and dark emerged…

Things are starting to get strange…