Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Words ❯ Weapon Specs ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I decided to do a reasonably quick update for this story, because it's one of my favourites to write. Faust is quickly becoming one of my favourite O.Cs.
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
Chapter Two: Weapon Specs
 
Cream and Tails backed away s the bat slowly raised himself off the sofa. The bat's golden eyes burned with malice and hatred. His legs trembled as he rose- the dizzying effect of the heal unit hadn't yet worn off. He looked directly at the TV, his eyes narrowed. Then, he turned his gaze to Cream. It felt like a laser was being focused at her. He held her gaze for a few seconds longer- the poor rabbit couldn't look away. Then, his expression turned from steely malice to cold insolence.
"Thank you for your hospitality…I shall be leaving now." the bat hissed.
"You can't go out there! You'll die!" Tails warned, grabbing the bat's arm.
 
The bat turned to look at him. "And? What if I choose to die? The only difference is that if I go out there I'll die on my feet."
"But why do you have to die in the first place?" Tails shouted passionately.
"You really think that I can survive? Pay more attention to current events." the bat scoffed.
"I'm sure this is all a misunderstanding!"
"Don't be so naïve! This isn't a misunderstanding, it's just the truth about how the world works! The strong design weapons to oppress the weak and then de-"
 
BANG. The bat hit the floor with a thud, KO'd instantly.
"What a load of rubbish! Tails, you get this idiot on the couch whilst I go and ask Mother what we're going to do about him!" Cream shouted, rubbing her hand from where she'd slugged the bat. She walked off in a huff, muttering to herself furiously.
 
"Hey. Are you, like…still alive?" Tails asked the bat, kneeling down.
 
"Yeah, but I can't seem to move." the bat's muffled voice answered.
 
"Cream sure hits hard, doesn't she?" Tails asked, hauling the bat onto the sofa.
 
"Ain't that the truth." the bat chuckled darkly.
 
"She means well, you know." Tails said fifteen minutes later, sitting down with a cup of tea.
"Really." the bat scoffed, rolling over so he could see the fox.
"Cream can't bear to see anyone get hurt, and you were going to get hurt real bad if someone didn't stop you."
"…"
 
"So…You gonna tell me a little about yourself? I'll give you a biscuit." Tails smiled, waving a digestive in front of the bat's nose. The bat snapped for it, but Tails drew it away. The bat smiled roguishly.
"…I don't know. Can I trust you?"
Tails thought for a second. "I don't know. I'd like to say yes, but if GUN are after you, you must be pretty dangerous. Not to mention what you did to those tanks." Tails sighed.
"…you…have doubts?" the bat murmured. Tails nodded. "Good. You'd be an idiot not to, and as a general rule, I try not to trust my life to an idiot. Throw me one of those biscuits and pay attention."
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
Shadow watched the TV with widened eyes. As he saw the GUN logo on the tanks, his flaming eyes narrowed into a glare.
 
"Rouge! I'm going out!" he shouted over at the bar. The bat stopped polishing the glass she was holding, and looked at him.
 
"Why? I'm sure the TV can't be that boring." she said, jumping over the bar and walking over to him.
 
"Not boring. Disturbing. There's been a disturbance at the GUN compound. I still don't trust the military of this country. There's been some interesting rumours flying around lately…" Shadow mused.
 
"Really? What like?" the cunning bat asked with a smile.
 
"Rumour has it that I'm not the only living weapon that Gun had access to…" the ebony hedgehog trailed off. Rouge frowned.
"…so, I'm going to check it out. Stay here"
 
Shadow just had time to turn towards Rouge before she planted her boot in his face. The ebony hedgehog bounced twice on the floor before rolling to a halt. Picking himself up, he glared at the bat.
"What was that for, ally?" Shadow mouthed, drawing out the last word.
 
"Because you don't think, Shadow! By now, GUN'll have way too many soldiers in there for you to take. Even the Ultimate Life Form runs out of bullets!" Rouge said, seeing Shadow open his mouth in protest. Grudgingly, the hedgehog closed it again.
 
"Here's what we'll do."
"I'm listening."
"You use Chaos Control to get us both in…"
"No."
"Then, you make a distraction so I can get further into the compound…"
"Forget it."
"…and hack the computers. Then, when I'm done, we'll meet up and Chaos Control out!"
 
"Rouge, what part of `You're being an idiot' don't you understand?" Shadow asked tersely.
"Well, let's go." Rouge waved, walking out of the club.
"Wait! Wait! Weren't we going to Chaos Control in? Hey, wait, you…gah! Annoying bat girl!" Shadow spat, racing after her.
 
Inside the GUN compound, a flash of light lit up an unused corridor. Seconds later, Shadow and Rouge dropped to the ground.
"Your safety is no longer my concern. Be back here in ten minutes, and no later." the ebony hedgehog hissed to the bat.
"10? Pick me up in five." the bat said, racing down the corridor. "Oh, and Shadow!"
The hedgehog turned to look at her.
"If you EVER call me an idiot again, my boot and your face are going to enjoy a short but sweet liaison!" the bat shouted, running off.
Shadow grinned, then went off to find some soldiers to pester.
 
Rouge ran along the deserted corridors of the GUN compound, her supple body warming quickly to the exercise. This was what she did best- stealth, information, and helping herself to everything that wasn't nailed down. She casually dodged and weaved through a laser grid. She cackled to herself as she thought of the last time Knuckles had tried it
 
-Flashback-
 
"Come on Knucklehead! How can you call yourself a treasure hunter if you can't even get through one grid of electrified lasers?" Rouge taunted.
"Hah! I'll show you, you dingbat!" the echidna called, running into the grid.
BZZZTTT! "ARGHHH!"
"Hold still, Knucklehead!"
"But I gotta sneeze…"
"I'll go and get help!" the bat cackled.
"A…a…a…CHOO!" BZZZTTT! "OWWWWW!"
"I'm back!" the bat laughed. "I see your tail's already burnt to a crisp."
"Hey! How's a camcorder going to help me?" the fiery echidna.
"It isn't."
"Rouge! I'm gonna-" BZZZTTT!
 
-Flashback over-
 
"Good times, good times!" Rouge said, wiping a tear from her eye.
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
"Hello? Is that you?"
 
"Yeah. Whassup, President?"
 
"It has come to my attention that one of GUN's enemies has trashed one of their compounds, and is looking to pick a fight with the military."
 
"Oh, I saw that. It was on the news, for cryin' out loud! Hey, did you see the way that tank flipped? That was cool…"
 
"Are you done?"
 
"Uh, yeah. So…what does all this have to do with me?"
 
"Our sources show that the target has taken some hostages in the Mystic Ruins area. He is holding their lives ransom for his own purposes."
 
"What?!?"
 
"It gets better. Do you know the names of those hostages?"
 
"Uh, no. I only just learnt there WERE any hostages."
 
"The names of the hostages are…Miles `Tails' Prower and Cream the rabbit. Are those names familiar to you?"
 
"Why that little….Where are they?"
 
"Barricaded in Master Prower's workshop. Does this mean I can count on you to get the job done?"
 
"Definitely, Mr. President! I won't let my friends down!" -Click-
 
The president put the phone down after the click was heard. "No, I'm sure you won't…Sonic the hedgehog."
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
Rouge ran along, checking each area quickly for any sign of a computer that hadn't been wiped or broken. Eventually, she came to a room which had what looked like a large metal container in it. One of the sides was missing, and there were bullets lying strewn on the floor. Rouge shivered, noticing a draft coming from a large hole in the wall. The edges, however, were too precise to suggest an explosion. Rouge pondered it a little bit, then decided that, actually, she didn't want to get caught in a place like this. Seeing a laptop in the corner, she ran over to it, and flexed her nimble fingers. A second later, those very same fingers were nothing more than blurred afterimages as she typed away at the keyboard. Within seconds, she'd gotten access to the confidential files she needed.
 
"Tch. It's easier to hack the government's computers than it is to tie a pair of shoelaces." Rouge muttered to herself. (Her boots were zipper-boots, lol.)
"Let's see, Mr. Computer. Tell me what was happening in this room…" Rouge said in a sing-song voice.
 
"Hmm…let's see here…`Data Concerning Project 78, codename: FAUST to be wiped.' Faust? Let's see here…`Project 78, codename: Faust…Weapons specifications?' What the…fine, then. What were these specs? Let's see here…"
 
"`Project 78, codename: FAUST. SRTRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. FAUST is the codename given to the first line of GUN-manufactured organic weapons. Designed as a stealth weapon, the FAUST series is very lightweight and nimble. Unlike the original Faust that formed their namesake, they are black in colouring. Height at birth: 150 cm. Maximum growth achieved by subject in weapon life cycle: 165 cm…'what does this data mean? Think, Rouge, think!"
 
"Ah, here we go…Development cycle of weapon model FAUST. `The original Faust was put in stasis and cloned in order to make the first model bearing the codename FAUST. However, it was clear that the original Faust's powers had not been passed on to the 1st generation FAUST model. After many experiments that ranged through FAUST models 2-14, we discovered how to trigger the psychic powers that the original Faust had incubated and which had been cloned into the FAUST series' brains. The solution was to implant microchips in the cerebral cortex. It was also known at this time that this method could also be used to facilitate control over an organic being…
 
Testing our theories got us through FAUST models 15-19. In FAUST model 20, we discovered that although we could control the FAUST model weapons adequately, their psychic powers were not as full as we would have wanted. Whilst the original Faust could read minds, the FAUST model's capabilities had been far weakened."
 
"What the hell is going on here? This doesn't make any sense…psychic abilities? The original Faust? Cloned FAUST model weapons? I don't like the sounds of this…" Rouge mumbled.
 
"Models 21-23 were used in experiments to amplify the powers lost. However, the powers still remained fragmented. Model 24 should be capable of more than they were. With regards to combat, the entire FAUST series had the same combat specs. FAUSTs are stealth weapons, so it was ruled that concussive rather than deadly force would be better. We developed a system whereupon a FAUST unit could use convert energy stored in their body to kinetic energy on impact of the fist- causing a blow that would send things flying, but not physically damage them much. However, this required a steady supply of energy which could not be supplied externally to the FAUST model.
 
The eventual solution to this was actually taken from an experiment done by Miles `Tails' Prower. By hacking into his computer, we were able to take the data to make fake chaos emeralds (see case file .2293). By applying these properties to the FAUST models, it was possible to supply them with a renewable supply of energy (based on the Chaos emerald's ability to absorb other forms of energy.) An unexpected side effect of this is in the defensive aspect- the FAUST series is resistant to damage sustained from moving objects (eg Fists or bullets) because the kinetic energy can be absorbed and used to supply the FAUST unit.
 
In combat, the FAUST unit uses this energy via small slits in the hand area. This is why the FAUST unit's hands are wrapped in bandages- to avoid suspicion, and to prevent too much energy being released at once.
 
URGENT NOTE: FAUST model 24 has not had the controller chip installed yet. Do NOT experiment on as of yet."
 
"That's where the file ends, Rouge."
 
"Gah!" the bat screamed, turning around. She breathed a huge sigh of relief as she looked at the ebony hedgehog standing at her shoulder.
 
"I didn't want to come and look for you, but I suppose you did find the data I needed." Shadow chuckled.
 
"Yeah, I found the data, but it's so…weird. I don't know what it means. Never mind! Let's just take the computer. We can figure it out later." Rouge said, picking the computer up.
 
"Hmph. Ready? Fine then. Chaos CONTROL!"
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
"Hey mother. I need your help with something…" Cream said, walking into the house. "We have this guy at Tails' workshop, and he's being an idiot. Can you help us deal with him?"
 
"Well…I guess I could talk to him for you. Oh, and Amy came over for tea today!" Vanilla replied.
 
"Hey, Cream. Can I help?" Amy asked, taking another swig of tea from the ludicrously small teacups Cream's family used.
 
"That's be great, Amy! Oh, and could you bring the Piko Piko hammer? We're going to need it."
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
"THE GOVERNMENT HACKED ME?" Tails exploded.
 
"That's what it said in the files." the bat said lazily, taking another biscuit.
 
"Geez! Now I need a new password and everything…this sucks, Faust! Oh, can I call you Faust?" the kit asked.
 
"You may as well. If I'm to stay in this world, I shall need a name, and Faust is as good a name as any." the bat shrugged.
 
"So, how do you remember all that info from the files?" Tails asked, tapping away at the computer.
"It's downloaded directly onto my memory files in case of an identification request from a superior officer."
"What?"
"I just can."
"That works."
 
"So…lemme get this straight…" the kit said, preparing a mental summary. "You're an organic weapon developed by GUN."
"That's correct." the bat confirmed.
"Your body was developed by cloning a bat named Faust, who had pronounced psychic abilities."
"Also correct."
"By putting certain chips in your brain, they were able to give you the same psychic abilities, but weakened."
"Exactly."
"You're not one for small talk, are you?
"Hmm?"
"Forget it. So, what are these psychic abilities?"
 
The bat shifted his weight around on the sofa, so he was facing Tails. His golden irises, which had vanished as Tails talked, reappeared with blazing intensity.
 
"This may be a step that you wish you hadn't taken. If you know my secret, everything I say will change your life, and your opinion of those around you. Every word that passes from these lips might crush your world. Are you sure you want to know?" the bat asked, his dark voice lowering.
 
"I'm already in neck deep. I can't just stand here and do nothing now. Whether I like it or not, I'm already a part of this." Tails mused. "If you don't tell me, how can I help you?"
 
"…fine. Listen then, to the most dangerous words in the world…"
 
"I see the truth."
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
"Sonic! Couldn't you handle this yourself?" Knuckles groaned.
 
"Hey, they're your friends too!" Sonic said hotly, jabbing Knuckles' crescent patterned chest with a gloved finger.
 
"Yeah, but it's only one guy. I can't see how this needs two of us." Knuckles grumbled.
 
"Knuckles, this guy goes around flipping tanks twenty feet in the air! I'd like to be safe about it!"
"Hmm…Flip a tank, huh? Suddenly I'm feeling a lot more interested in this guy." the red echidna smiled.
 
The odd couple were standing on the little hill just before Tails' workshop. Sonic had a megaphone grasped in one hand, and the manual in the other. Knuckles was manning the binoculars and trying to look in through Tails' bedroom window at the fox's pin up posters. Unfortunately they were all of cars, so the echidna gave up.
 
"YOU! ENEMY OF THE GOVERNMENT! COME OUT WITHOUT HARMING OUR FRIENDS!" Sonic yelled. Through the wrong end of the megaphone.
"HEY SONIC, YOU”RE DOING IT WRONG!" Knuckles shouted through the right end. Sonic's head landed fifty feet after being blown off the noise.
 
"Hey! Mr Sonic! What are you doing here?" Cream asked, walking up to the KO'd hedgehog hero. "Oh, and Mr. Knuckles! What a surprise to see you here!"
"Oh, hello boys. What are you doing on this fine day?" Vanilla asked, walking a few steps behind her daughter.
"SONIKKUU!" Amy yelled, glomping the hedgehog immediately.
 
"Oh, we're trying to get the hostage taker to set you guys free." Knuckles said, slapping Sonic repeatedly.
"That doesn't make sense…" Vanilla murmured.
"We're trying to save your life here! Now could you go in there and try to convince the guy to let you go?" Knuckles said, de-attaching Amy.
"Okay, then…" Cream said, following her mother up into the house.
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
Shadow's ruby eyes widened as he read the data. He read it again, and then a third time. It didn't change. He muttered under his breath, and occasionally swore. When he had finally took it all in, he stood up briskly.
"Rouge! I'm going out again!" he called.
"Why? I thought you'd already had enough excitement today." Rouge laughed, sidling up behind him.
"I have an appointment with that weapon. Out of my way!" Shadow said forcefully.
Once again, Shadow had the honour of having Rouge plant her foot in his face.
"I'm going with you. I noticed the words `Stealth Capacities' in that data. If this is anything like Emerl, I could have another master thief on my hands!" Rouge said huffily.
"Darn it all, woman! Why do you have to be so…Gah! In that case, you'd better keep up!" Shadow raged, running out of the bar. Rouge followed at a slower pace, her nose heeding the scent of opportunity.
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
"Hey, Tails. How's the idiot doing?" Cream asked as she walked in.
 
"The idiot's name is now Faust, thank you very much." the bat said coldly.
 
"Faust, hm? How odd…" Vanilla muttered.
 
"You know that Knuckles and Sonic think you've kidnapped Cream, Tails, Vanilla and me?" Amy said her eyebrow arching.
 
"No, but that knowledge brings me SO much joy." Faust said in an acidic tone.
 
"HEY! GIVE BACK EVERYONE YOU TOOK!" came the sound of a voice being amplified by megaphone.
 
"ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?" Tails shouted out of the window.
 
"NO! GET THE EVIL ONE OUT HERE!"
 
There was a scuffling, and Amy found herself unceremoniously ejected from the house.
 
"NO! THE OTHER EVIL ONE!"
 
Amy threw her hammer and Sonic went down like a super speedy sack of bricks. Tails chuckled.
 
"So, Faust", the kitsune asked, "what did you mean when you said that you see the truth?"
 
"When someone talks to me, I see the truth of what they are saying. If they lie, or if there is some intention or piece of information they are concealing, it will be exposed. It is an ability I cannot control." the solemn bat said, toying with the bandages on his hands.
"And…why is that dangerous? It sounds like a pretty good advantage in life if you ask me."
"Hah…Tails, sometimes the truth is not a pleasant thing. Sometimes, it is better off not being known. We are given the ability to lie for a reason- to protect. We can lie to protect ourselves and we can lie to protect others, but the truth always hurts someone if it is known." the bat sighed morosely. "I already know things that would hurt the Government immensely, which is why my ability is dangerous. Although we hate it when people lie, we would kill them to conceal the truth."
"Faust…" Cream said sadly.
 
"And, of course, there is the other thing which makes my ability a curse." Faust said matter-of-factly.
"What's that?" Tails asked, scratching his head.
"I see the truth whether I want to or not. But, in order to see the truth, my sight of the normal world must be sacrificed."
"So…basically…" the two tailed genius summarised, "You have no choice but to use your ability, but at any time you use it, you go temporarily blind…"
"That's correct." the bat said. His irises, which had disappeared when the fox had spoken, returned to view. It was clear now what this symbolised.
 
"HEY! ARE YOU GOING TO FIGHT US OR WHAT?" Knuckles yelled through the megaphone.
Faust stuck his head out of the window, and looked Knuckles in the eye.
"And what do you intend to do to me…?" the bat asked, his voice deep and melodic.
"We're gonna kick your butt for taking our friends!" Sonic shouted, recovering from his KO'd state.
"They intend to hand me over to GUN. How inconvenient…" Faust murmured.
"What do we do?" Tails pondered, looking at the bat. He was just a little surprised when the bat jumped out of the window.
 
Faust looked at the echidna and the hedgehog. They were angry, but their intentions were justified to them. Faust could see all this, but he could also see that they weren't going to listen to anything he said. However, he should be able to beat some sense into them.
"You! You picked the wrong people to mess with!" Sonic shouted, jabbing his gloved finger in Faust's direction.
"I believe so. They're called GUN, and they want me dead." Faust said.
"I was talking about us!" Sonic shouted.
 
"Really…?" the bat scoffed. "You, hedgehog, don't look very dangerous."
Sonic glared. The bat merely drew his fist upwards, and secured the bandages a little more tightly.
 
"The truth is…I can take you out in one hit." the bat smirked.
 
===============================================================+= ========================================================================
 
Second chapter of Faust's story done! Is Faust just being cocky, or does he have a plan? What are the bat's intentions, and just how dangerous is his strange ability to see the truth? And what's with Shadow? Coming up next time, in Chapter Three!