Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ghosts Of New York ❯ Delivery Service ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

This chapter is probably a bit darker than the ones before it. Should be interesting…

Chapter 3: Delivery Service

The cargo helicopter rushed off to Los Vegas, the home of Shadow. The mysterious hedgehog mostly kept to himself, almost never contacting any of his friends in New York. Tails and Billy had hoped to change that. Right now, the fox and Simon were flying the large machine.

Tails: So, Simon, tell me more about that ghost you saw.

Simon: Well, it was really dark, so I couldn't see much. But I do know that it had glowing red eyes that stared at me. After Scotty and Sonic showed up, it was gone.

Tails: Yeah, ghosts tend to do that kind of thing.

Simon: I just wish someone would believe me.

Tails: Well, I'm not sure. I mean, I guess ghosts could be real…but I've only heard of ones with glowing red eyes in the movies…

Simon: It was real, honest!

Tails: Okay, okay, if you say so…

Simon: <sigh> How much longer until we get there?

Tails: It'll still be a while…it's a good thing we've got plenty of fuel.

They flew on, heading west. The sun never seemed to go down, since they were heading toward it. However, their bodies were still on New York time, and they were getting tired. They both knew the dangers of flying while sleepy, so they decided to land. They were in a large, deserted area somewhere in Kansas.

Tails: <yawn> Well, that's it. We're down.

Simon: We needed to land anyway; we're running low on gas.

Tails: Are we? <looks at fuel gauge> Oh…well, I'll go put in one of the spares.

Tails went to the back of the helicopter, where they had packed several large tanks of fuel. Tails had modified the helicopter, so all he had to do was disconnect the empty tank, and hook up a spare one. He did so, and went back up to the pilot's seat.

Tails: Okay, the chopper's got fuel, but I don't. Let's eat, and then take a break.

Simon: Good idea. Man, I'm starving!

They opened a cooler that was in the cargo bay. Inside were several pre-made meals. Simon pulled out a sandwich and a grape soda. Tails selected another sandwich and a root beer. They ate, and enjoyed the food. By now, it was late outside, and even later inside.

Tails: I don't know about you, Simon, but I can't keep my eyes open.

Simon: I can, but it's really hard.

Tails: <reclines pilot chair, lies down> I guess tomorrow we'll pick up where we left off...<falls asleep>

Simon: <reclines co-pilot chair, lies down> Yeah, okay…<falls asleep>

Meanwhile, in New York…

Scotty: Well, it's night time again…I wonder who's gonna see a ghost this time…

Sonic: This coming from someone who didn't believe in ghosts just 24 hours ago…

Scotty: What can I say? I saw, and I believed…

Sonya: Are you two still going on about that?

Sonic: Yeah, Scott's convinced. It's safe to say I trust him, but this whole ghost thing…I dunno…

Sonya: Well, you better get used to hearing it. Scotty's pretty persistent, and if I know him, he'll make a believer out of you whether you like it or not.

Sonic: <sarcastically> Great…

Billy: We are receiving a transmission from my sibling…

Sonic: We're getting a what from the who now?

Scotty: A call from Knuckles.

The screen on the communicator blinked on, and after a moment of static, showed the face of Knuckles.

Knuckles: Hi guys, what's going on?

Sonic: Nothing much, we're just being haunted is all…

Knuckles: Haunted, huh? By who?

Sonic: The IRS.

Scotty: We don't know; the ghosts disappear after a few seconds. I saw one last night, and Simon saw one the night before.

Knuckles: I've had a run-in with a ghost before…Wasn't too pleasant. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I overheard some guys talking about hitting a hangar at the airport tonight. I couldn't tell where they said it was going to be, or exactly when. I already told the police, but I thought you might like to know, too.

Scotty: Thanks, Knuckles. We'll be ready.

Sonic: Keep it up, and I might just think of you as being a helpful person.

Knuckles: <sarcastically> Uh-oh…I wouldn't want to ruin my image. I've gotta be more careful.

Billy: Your assistance is appreciated, brother.

Knuckles: No problem…and call me Knuckles. Where is everybody?

Sonic: Tails and Simon are getting one of these TV things over to Shadow…and Sally's still at that health spa.

Knuckles: I could use a trip to one of those…Well, that's all for now, I'll see you guys later.

The screen went black, and the communicator turned off. Knuckles's warning had alerted the crime fighters. They'd be ready for anything. That was good, since a few minutes later, the alarm went off, and the two brave hedgehogs rushed out the door.

Sonic: <shivering> Why can't stuff happen in the daytime, when it's warmer?

Scotty: That'd be too easy!

Shortly afterward, they arrived at the airport, and followed the sight of police cars to find the hangar. The hedgehogs walked up to an officer.

Scotty: What's going on?

Officer: We've got a hostage situation. This hangar contains a privately owned jet, and the pilot was inside it at the wrong time. As far as we can tell, there's three terrorists holding the man at gunpoint.

Sonic: What are their demands?

Officer: Money. Lots of it. They want 15 million dollars from this guy.

Scotty: From him?

Officer: He's a very wealthy businessman.

Scotty: I see. What are your plans to solve this problem?

Officer: We haven't been here long, but we were ready. So far all we have is a negotiator. He's talking to them right now…<pointing at a man on phone> There he is, over there by that car.

Scotty: Thanks, officer.

Officer: Anything for you guys; you've saved us all more times than I can remember…

The two hedgehogs walked over to the negotiator, who was in the middle of a conversation on the phone. At the other end was one of the hostage-takers.

Negotiator: …You know it isn't worth it…You'll be guilty for the rest of your lives if you do this…It's never too late…No, I can't prom-All right, all right, just don't kill him…<takes phone away from ear, presses button, wipes forehead> Oh man…

Scotty: Things aren't going too well, I trust.

Negotiator: No, they aren't. They just hung up on me again.

Sonic: Is there any way we can make a deal with them?

Negotiator: I doubt it. They plan on getting rid of someone important tonight…

Sonic: Important?

Negotiator: Apparently, their hostage did something to them once…Now, they want to get revenge. They say they're going to kill everyone that's ever offended them.

Sonic: That's probably a long list…

Scotty: I hope I'm not on it; a lot of criminals around here seem to have a grudge against me.

Negotiator: They don't like anyone, but you're probably next.

Sonic: Yeesh…I'd hate to be you right now, Scott.

Scotty: …<sigh> Sir…I think I have a plan…

Back at the cargo helicopter…

Tails was sound asleep, but Simon had just woken up. He hadn't been as worn out as his friend was by the flight, since he had mostly just been riding along. But now, he was ready to go. The little blue hedgehog leaned over and gently shook Tails's shoulder, waking the fox up.

Simon: Hey, Tails, can I fly the helicopter for a while? I'm not tired…

Tails: <half-asleep> Uh…sure…whatever…<falls asleep again>

Simon: Yes!

Simon sat up, put his chair in its proper position, and started the helicopter up. His experience was mostly in planes, but Tails had taught him some pretty neat stuff about flying helicopters.

Simon: Okay…let's see…Everything looks good…Now…here we go!

The helicopter lifted off, and Tails somehow stayed asleep as Simon flew them away. It was still dark outside, so Simon had to rely on the instruments to stay on course. He was good at it, though, so there weren't any problems.

The hangar in New York…

Sonic: Are you sure about this, Scott?

Scotty: I'm doing my duty as a crime fighter.

Negotiator: Okay, they've agreed to it.

Sonic: Come back in one piece.

Scotty: I'll do my best…But if something happens…take care of Sony and the others for me…

Sonic: Don't talk like that, Scott.

Negotiator: <on phone> Okay, we're ready…Yes, the police are all back…Okay, we're sending him in…<hangs up> It's all set up…We're ready to trade.

Sonic: Good luck, Scott. Be careful.

Scotty: I will.

A door on the hangar opened slightly, and Scotty walked in. A few moments later, the businessman stumbled out, closing the door behind him. He walked to a waiting police car, and got in. The car drove away, and attention once again turned to the hangar.

Sonic: I hope we didn't just make a huge mistake…

Negotiator: Me, too.

Inside the hangar…

Three armed men `welcomed' the crime-fighting hedgehog into the hangar. Each of them kept their gun trained on Scotty's head.

Terrorist 1: So, you're the mighty crime fighter, huh?

Scotty: Yes…

Terrorist 2: I've been waitin' a long time for this…

Terrorist 3: Check him. See if he's wearin' a wire…

Terrorist 2: <walks around Scotty> He's got nothin'.

Scotty: So, now what?

Terrorist 1: Now, you suffer…just like us…

Scotty: What have I done to any of you?

Terrorist 2: It doesn't matter. We've got you right where we want you…

Terrorist 3: What should we do first?

Terrorist 1: What do you fear most, hedgehog?

Scotty: <looks around slowly at his captors>

Terrorist 1: Well?

Terrorist 2: Who cares what he's afraid of? Let's just shoot him now!

Terrorist 3: We could make it a non-lethal shot, have him bleed to death.

Terrorist 1: Naah, that'd take too long. How about we tie him up and mess with his mind?

Terrorist 2: Psychological torture…Hmm, not bad…

Terrorist 3: <moves a chair up, while carrying rope> It sounds good to me…

One of them kept his gun pointed at Scotty while the other two tied him to the chair. One of them noticed his emerald sword and took it.

Terrorist 2: <holding emerald sword in Scotty's face> What's this? Some kind of suicide bomb?

Scotty: No, it's not.

Terrorist 1: Kinda looks like a sword from one of them Star Wars movies.

Terrorist 2: It kinda does, doesn't it?

Terrorist 3: Well, hedgehog, what is it?

Scotty: Its…my sword…

Terrorist 2: Where's the blade?

Scotty: …

Terrorist 2: Answer me!

Scotty: Press the button…

Terrorist 1: Wait a minute…what if it is a bomb? That button might be the trigger.

Scotty: It's not a bomb…

Terrorist 3: It's not important. Let's stay focused here. Well, Scotty, do you have a wife?

Scotty: Yes.

Terrorist 3: Really? What's her name?

Scotty: What do you care?

Terrorist 3: <points gun at Scotty's face> What's her name?

Scotty: …Sonya…

Terrorist 3: Well, I guess we'll have to get rid of Sonya when we're finished with you…

Scotty: What?! NO!!

Terrorist 3: Heh heh heh…Oh yes, we'll get rid of her.

Terrorist 1: What about friends? We know you have some. Who are they?

Scotty: I'll never tell you…

Outside the hangar…

Sonic: He's been in there a while…I'm worried. How are we gonna get him outta there?

Negotiator: I wish I knew…I've never dealt with hostage-takers that actually wanted the hostage instead of something in exchange for one…

Sonic: That's not exactly what I wanted to hear…

Negotiator: I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

The cargo helicopter…

Simon: <sigh> Flying in one direction for so long sure gets boring…Oh well, I have to do it, so I might as well get it over with…

Tails: <snore>

Simon: Tails sure will be surprised when he sees how far we got…

Outside the hangar…

It was nearly one in the morning, and Scotty was still in the clutches of the terrorists. Sonic faithfully waited outside for him. He wanted to stay, but the police convinced him that it would be best if he went home. Sonic returned to the base without his usual vigor and energy.

Sonya: There you are, Sonic…Hey, what's wrong?

Sonic: It's Scotty…

Sonya: What happened?

Sonic: He's been taken hostage…

Sonya: What?! How?!

Sonic: It was a trade. Scotty for an innocent man.

Sonya: …<sigh> I don't believe this…Sometimes I wish Scotty wasn't so dedicated…

Sonic: That's his way.

Sonya: I know…but he seems to get into a lot of trouble because of it…

Sonic: I need a break…

They walked into the lounge, and informed Billy of the situation. The little echidna immediately relayed the news to Dr. Arrow. They all sat down in the lounge, trying to figure out what to do next.

Dr. Arrow: This is truly a dark time…However, we've been through worse…

Billy: I suppose that is true…however, this situation seems to be unique…

Sonya: I'm just glad that Simon's not here…I don't think he could handle it…

Sonic: We've got to get him back…But how?

Someone entered the base, and was quietly making their way through the hall. The person stopped when they noticed everyone was in the lounge. After a moment, the person entered the room.

Sonic: <looks toward door> Sally? You're back already?

Sally: Yeah well, they wanted me to pay for another day that I only would've used half of. So, I came back. Now, you guys tell me what's going on?

Sonic: Scotty's being held hostage…

Sally: …Heh, nice try, Sonic. Seriously, what's going on?

Sonya: He's not lying…Scotty isn't here…

Sally: Then…Why are you guys here instead of getting Scotty out of there?

Sonic: The police had me come here.

Sally: What are we going to do?

Dr. Arrow: That's what we've been trying to figure out.

Billy: Join us, please. Another mind should be helpful.

Inside the hangar…

Terrorist 3: Come on, we've been here for hours…Let's just kill him and get it over with…

Scotty: And what would you do then? If I'm dead, the police won't have a reason not to arrest you all! In fact, they'd have more of a reason!

Terrorist 2: Shut up, hedgehog!

Terrorist 1: He's got a point…What we need is a way out of here…

Terrorist 2: Why not use this jet?

Terrorist 3: Are you crazy? Once those hangar doors open, this place'll be swarming with cops!

Terrorist 1: Not if we take the hedgehog with us…

Scotty: Where would you go?

Terrorist 2: I said shut up! <kicks Scotty>

Terrorist 3: It doesn't matter…Once we're out of here, we'll figure out what to do next!

Terrorist 2: Let's do something! This is boring!

Terrorist 1: Calm down, we'll figure something out!

Terrorist 2: I can't take it anymore! <points gun at Scotty's head> It's time for you die!

At that moment, something shot Terrorist 2 in the back. There was a small blood spurt, and then the man fell over, dead. There was another shot, and the lights went out. Everyone was confused. Two more shots were heard, followed by two the two thumps from dead bodies hitting the ground. Scotty looked around, but couldn't see anything or anyone. He heard a noise from one side of the room, and looked immediately in its direction. He saw two glowing red eyes, the same rectangular ones that he'd seen the night before. Overcome with confusion, anxiety, and fear, Scotty passed out.

At the base, ten minutes later…

Sonic: There's got to be something we can do…

Sonya: Scotty did this to himself…But I'm sure he'll be okay…

Billy: I hate to say it, but he may not make it…

The doorbell rang, and everyone rushed to answer it. They looked around after not seeing anyone. They looked down, and were surprised to find Scotty, unconscious on the ground. They picked him up, and took him inside.

Dr. Arrow: There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him…He must've fainted…

Sonya: Good. I'm glad it's not serious.

Sonic: So, how do we wake him up?

Billy: <holds out a small vial of chemicals> Hold this under his nose…

Sonic: <does so> I hope this works…

Sally: Look…He's coming around…

The green hedgehog stirred, and opened his eyes. Sonic removed the vial from under his nose, and Scotty sat up. He looked around, confused.

Scotty: What happened?

Sonic: We kinda hoped you could tell us…

Scotty: <closes eyes, thinking>…<eyes wide open> The ghost!

The cargo helicopter…

Daylight was slowly creeping up on Simon and Tails as they flew west. Tails was starting to wake up, and was somewhat surprised to see how well the little hedgehog handled the big helicopter.

Tails: <thinking> He's pretty good…I wonder if Sonic felt like this when he first saw how good I am at flying….

Simon: Good morning, Tails…Guess how far we've come!

Tails: How far?

Simon: Let's just say we're only a few hundred miles away…

Tails: Really? Wow, you are good.

Simon: Thanks, Tails. Coming from you, that's quite a compliment.

Tails: How's the fuel supply?

Simon: It's getting low…We can only get another 10, 15 miles or so.

Tails: Let's go ahead and change tanks now…

Simon: Okay…

Simon landed the helicopter with incredible ease; it seemed to come naturally to him. Tails changed the fuel tanks, and had Simon catch up on his sleep. Tails sat down in the pilot's seat, and took off. They continued their journey to Las Vegas, this time with Tails behind the wheel. Simon was asleep in his chair, and Tails glanced at him for a moment.

Tails: <thinking> He must've been really tired…I guess it's up to me now; I'm the leader, and I have to help him out…Is this how Sonic thinks of me? Well, I wanted a role reversal, and I got one.

At the base…

Sonic: So…the ghost shot the terrorists, killed the lights, and rescued you?

Scotty: I think so, yeah.

Billy: It would seem unlikely that a ghost could possess such corporeal abilities.

Sonic: What?

Scotty: He doesn't think a ghost could do that.

Sonic: Oh.

Sonya: Well, I guess the important thing now is that everyone is safe.

Sally: But just who or what is this ghost?

Scotty: I wish I knew. I'm just glad they're on our side.

Sonic: From what you've told us, it was a good thing it showed up when it did. That ghost saved your life, you know.

Scotty: I guess I owe it one…

Sonic: Well, you can pay it back tomorrow because it's like two in the morning, and I'm going to bed.

The others agreed, and they all went to bed.

The helicopter…

They were now only a few miles from Las Vegas, and Tails landed the helicopter in an open field. The fox reclined his chair, lied down, and fell asleep.

That's the end of this chapter!

Stay tuned!