Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ghosts Of New York ❯ Shadow ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Let's find out how Shadow's been doing…

Chapter 4: Shadow

It was a little before noon when Tails awakened. He sat up, put his chair in its normal position, and looked over to see how Simon was doing. The little hedgehog was sound sleep in his chair, but Tails knew that Simon would've wanted to see what they were about to do next, so he reached over and woke him up.

Tails: Simon…Simon, wake up…

Simon: <sleepily> <yawn> Good morning, Tails…

Tails: Go ahead and get ready; we're about to enter the city.

As Simon slowly got himself awake, Tails started the helicopter up. They had more than enough fuel left to safely get into the airport. Simon returned his chair to normal, and they were ready to go.

Tails: Okay, Simon…Here we go!

The helicopter took off, and flew toward the airport. There was heavy traffic, but they were finally given a place to land by the control tower.

Tails: <turns off engine> Well, we're here. I'll go rent a truck to carry the communicator in. You stay here with the chopper, okay Simon?

Simon: Okay, Tails.

The fox exited the helicopter and made his way to the rental area. It wasn't easy for him to convince the clerk that he was legally allowed to drive, but he did, and got the truck he wanted. He hurried through the parking lot of rental cars until he found what he was looking for. He drove the truck all the way back to the helicopter, and opened the back of it.

Simon: <opens helicopter side door> Hey, you're back. What took you so long?

Tails: They didn't believe I could drive.

Simon: Oh.

Tails: Well, let's get this thing into the truck.

They had to work together to get the heavy communicator onto a small device with wheels. Afterwards, it was much easier to roll it up the ramp into the back of the truck. They locked down the wheels, so that the communicator wouldn't roll around on the trip. They closed the back door, locked up the helicopter, and got into the cabin of the truck.

Tails: <in driver's seat> Buckle up, Simon. You never know what kind of traffic you'll run into out here.

Simon: <in passenger seat, buckles seat belt> I'm ready, Tails.

Tails: Okay, then.

Tails put the key in, and turned it. The diesel engine roared to life, and Tails slowly pulled out and into the road. The truck wasn't a semi, but it sounded and handled like one. It was a good thing Tails could drive a stick-shift.

Simon: You know where Shadow lives, don't you?

Tails: Yeah, I remember it from the last time we were here…Uh-oh.

Simon: What is it?

Tails: I just remembered something else…

Simon: And that would be?

Tails: Shadow has no idea that we're coming…I forgot to call him…I knew I forgot something…

Simon: Don't worry, Tails. It'll be fine.

Tails: I hope so.

They drove on through the city until they reached the home of Shadow the hedgehog.

Tails: I'll go see if he's home. Wait here for a sec, Simon.

Simon: No problem.

Tails entered the building, and found his way to Shadow's apartment. He stood outside the door for a moment, and knocked on it. There wasn't a response. Tails knocked again. Nothing.

Tails: Come on, Shadow, be home…please…

Tails waited a moment, losing hope with each passing second. Down the hall, the elevator door opened.

Shadow: Tails?!

The startled fox looked down the hall to see Shadow walking toward him. The hedgehog was carrying two paper bags overflowing with food.

Tails: There you are! I was getting worried!

Shadow: What are you doing here?

Tails: Nice to see you, too. Simon and I came here to deliver something to you.

Shadow: <unlocks door, enters, followed by Tails> Deliver? I didn't order anything.

Tails: It's a gift.

Shadow: I see. What is it?

Tails: It's a special communicator device. It's sorta like a videophone.

Shadow: A videophone? That should be useful.

Tails: It's in the truck…Could you help us get it up here?

Shadow: I suppose. <puts groceries on table>

Tails: What's in there?

Shadow: The basics. Milk, bread, some canned foods, and of course, coffee.

Tails: Rriighhtt…

Shadow: Are we going to go?

Tails: Yeah, of course. Let's go get it.

They made their way down to the street, and found Simon still in the truck. He was looking at the owner's manual, which he'd found in the glove compartment. Tails knocked on the window to get his attention. Simon put the manual back, and opened the door.

Simon: Is he home?

Shadow: Yes.

Simon: Oh…Sorry, I didn't notice you.

Tails: Come on, Simon. Let's get this thing upstairs.

Simon: Okay.

Simon closed the passenger door after getting out, and they walked to the back of the truck. Tails opened the door, and they climbed in. Simon disengaged the wheel locks, and they rolled the communicator down the ramp, and into the building. Shadow led them to the elevator, and they got in.

Tails: Well, so far, so good.

Shadow: This thing is pretty big. How'd you make it?

Tails: It wasn't just me. Billy did a lot of work, too.

Shadow: How many of these things are there?

Tails: So far, there's only three.

Shadow: So I can talk to two different people. What a selection.

Tails: It's better than nothing, isn't it?

Shadow: I guess so.

The elevator arrived at their floor, and they wheeled the communicator out. Shadow helped them roll it into his apartment, and Tails hooked it up.

Tails: There. Everything's ready. Hey, Shadow, wanna try it out?

Shadow: <sigh> Go ahead.

Tails pressed a few buttons, and the screen came on. It displayed a message that read: Waiting for answer…Please stand by…

Tails: Come on, answer it guys…

The screen went static for a moment, and then showed the lounge of the base. Billy was standing closest to the screen; he had answered it.

Tails: Billy! We made it!

Billy: Superb! It is most pleasing to see that you succeeded.

Tails: Yeah, we've got everything set up. Did anything interesting happen while we were gone?

Billy: Scotty was taken hostage.

Tails, Simon, and Shadow: What?!

Billy: Do not worry, he is safe now. He offered himself in exchange for an innocent civilian. But now, he's with us.

Simon: Is he okay?

Billy: He is somewhat fatigued, but he will be fine.

Tails: How'd he get back?

Billy: We are uncertain. Scotty believes that it was a ghost.

Simon: A ghost? Like mine?

Billy: Perhaps. However, it may not be a phantom; it killed the three hostage-takers, and physically brought Scotty back.

Tails: That doesn't sound very ghost-like.

Shadow: No, it doesn't.

Tails: Well, we'll be on our way back soon.

Billy: Splendid. We eagerly await your return.

Tails: Well, goodbye, Billy.

Billy: Goodbye, Tails.

The screen went black, and Tails turned around to see Shadow.

Shadow: This communicator…it will be helpful, I guess.

Tails: I hope so.

Shadow: <sigh> Thank you…

Tails: You're welcome, Shadow. Try to stay in touch.

Shadow: Before you go, I need to tell you something…

Simon: What is it?

Shadow: It's about the ghosts…

Simon: Do you believe in them?

Shadow: Indeed, I do. But that's not what I want to tell you. Los Vegas recently experienced a series of hauntings.

Tails: Really?

Shadow: Yes. Different ghosts would show up now and then, usually helping someone out, and then disappear.

Simon: Did they have glowing red eyes?

Shadow: Like I said, they were different. Some did, some didn't. There were many of them.

Tails: What happened to them?

Shadow: No one knows for sure. They began popping up less and less, and eventually, stopped altogether. A lot of people think they scattered, and spread out across the country. I guess that makes sense.

Simon: Maybe some of them got to New York! See! I told you it was real!

Shadow: You saw one?

Simon: Yeah, but no one believes me.

Tails: I bet Scotty does now.

Simon: Maybe, but I want everyone to know.

Shadow: Well, keep on the lookout, and if you see them, make sure to let me know. I need more information about them.

Tails: Will do!

Simon: Come on, Tails, let's go before we miss any more ghosts at home!

Tails: You're right, Simon. Sorry we had to leave so soon, Shadow, but…

Shadow: I understand. Go ahead and return home.

Simon: Bye, Shadow!

Tails: We'll see you later, Shadow.

Shadow: Goodbye, you two.

Tails and Simon left, and drove the truck back to the airport. Shadow unpacked his food, and went about his day. Tails and Simon returned the truck, and went back to the helicopter. Tails refueled all the tanks, and they took off. Simon suggested they fly at top speed, and Tails agreed.

Simon: We're going really fast…How long do you think it'll take now?

Tails: Even at this speed, it'll take at least all day.

Simon: Aww…

Tails: You know, I think this whole ghost thing has been pretty confusing…You guys are starting to convince me that they might be real…

Simon: Really? You mean it?

Tails: Everyone else says yes, so I think they could be real. I'd still prefer to see one for myself…

Simon: Then let's go faster!

Tails: This is as fast as it goes!

Simon: Not if I pull this lever…<pulls lever>

Two large jet turbines extended from the sides of the helicopter, and activated. The normally sluggish helicopter shot off at blazing speed. The g-force created by this wasn't unnoticed by the crew…

Tails: <forced against chair> Simon…What did you do???

Simon: <also forced against chair> Jet…engines…

Tails: Why are you trying to kill us?!

Simon: I'm not!

Tails: I wouldn't know it…

Simon: Sorry! But we are going faster…

Tails: It'll still take a few hours…

Simon: Is that a problem?

Tails: It might be when the g-force flattens us!

Simon: We'd be two-dimensional?

Tails: If we don't fly apart first…

The helicopter rattled and groaned as it was forced to go much faster than it was supposed to. It roared off toward New York. Several hours later, it was getting close. Simon somehow managed to turn off the engines, and the chopper began to slow down. It took all 57 of the remaining miles to slow to a manageable speed. In New York, it was already near midnight.

Tails: I'm alive…Thinner, but I'm alive…

Simon: We're here! Tails, can I land?

Tails: Um, sure…Just watch out; the chopper's a little messed up, and I bet everyone's already asleep.

Simon: Okay, I'll be extra-careful!

Simon brought the helicopter safely down, and Tails breathed a sigh of relief. He'd done some crazy things before, but this was one for the record books. Simon maneuvered the helicopter into the base's hangar. He shut off the engine, and he and Tails hopped out.

Tails: Whew! That was some ride!

Simon: I wanna go again!

Tails: Eh heh…Not with me, you're not…

Simon: I'm tired…Let's go to bed…

Tails: Okay, see you in the morning.

They went off to their separate rooms, and went to bed. Outside the hangar, a shadowed figure stared at them for a moment, and disappeared.

No more chapter 4.

Keep reading!

And don't forget to review!