Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ghosts Of New York ❯ Phantom...Revealed? ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Okay, I think everyone's suffered enough. It's time to reveal one of the ghosts (sort of)…(after reading this chapter, some of you will notice that I got an important scene directly from something. Well, I really like that scene, so I'm using it again)

Chapter 5: Phantom…Revealed?

Everyone was asleep in bed, taking a well-deserved rest. It was starting to rain, and the wind was kicking up snow every now and then. A warm front was bringing a nasty storm with it, and it started to rain even harder. Creeks became streams, streams became rivers, and rivers became, well, bigger rivers. Anyway, the pounding rain and driving winds rocked the base with their noise. All this activity woke up a certain blue hedgehog.

Sonic: <sits up in bed> Oh man, what's the deal with this weather? <walks up to window> Man, it's getting rough out there…

Scotty: <walks into room> You're telling me…I hope we don't have to go out in this.

Sonic: Do you think Tails and Simon will be okay?

Scotty: They're fine. They got here last night, right before all this rain started.

Sonic: Good…You know, I can't believe it's raining…I mean, it's almost Christmas, you know?

Scotty: The weather will do what it wants to do. Nothing can stop it.

The two hedgehogs entered the kitchen, where they got breakfast. They took it into the lounge, where Billy, Simon, Tails, and Sally where. Billy and Tails were engaged in a battle of wits, each making decisive moves. The battlefield: a chess board. Sally was watching the weather channel with Simon.

Tails: <moves chess piece> And the bishop takes your night!

Billy: Hmph. Tails, my friend, you've fallen into my trap. <moves another piece> Checkmate.

Tails: <looks at chess board, then at Billy, then at chess board> Good move. Let's go again. I've got a few more strategies I want to try.

Billy: Very well.

They reset the board while Sonic sat down next to Sally, and Scotty sat near Billy.

Sally: Hi, guys. Weird weather we're having, isn't it?

Sonic: Yeah, no kidding.

Scotty: We'll be fine. A little rain and a breeze never hurt anyone.

Simon: But, Scotty, this is a lot of rain, and really big winds!

Scotty: I know, I know, my point is that there's nothing to fear.

Sally: After last night, I kinda wonder if you're still capable of fear.

Scotty: Believe me, I am. I was afraid I might lose you guys.

Sonic: We were worried about you, Scott.

Sonya: <enters room> Don't you ever do that again, Scotty!

Scotty: Sony, I'm sorry…I did what I had to do.

The thunder rumbled outside.

Sonya: <sigh> I know…I just wish…

Scotty: I understand, Sony…But I've dedicated my life to this…

The phone rang. Sonic jumped up to answer it.

Sonic: Hello?…Yeah, he's here, do you want to talk to him?…Oh, okay…Sure, I'll tell him…Yeah, we're on our way…Okay, thanks, bye!

Scotty: Who was it?

Sonic: That guy you saved yesterday. He wants to reward you. They're starting the ceremony right now…Come on, we only have half an hour!

Scotty: But we can be anywhere in the city in ten minutes or less.

Sonic: Not in this weather. Come on, Scott, let's go!

Simon: Can I come?

Scotty: Come on, we'll all go.

Scotty alerted Dr. Arrow, and they all exited the base. Scotty flagged down a couple taxis so they wouldn't have to walk in the rain. They were on their way, and Scotty was staring out the window, watching a river that had become very fast-moving and dangerous because of the rain. Something caught his eye…

Scotty: Stop the car!

The driver stopped, and the other taxi did too; though it nearly rear-ended the first one. Scotty leapt out of the car, followed by everyone else, and ran up to a little girl. She couldn't have been more than five years old, and she sat on the riverbank, crying. She had an umbrella to keep her dry.

Scotty: What's wrong?

Girl: Ginger…My puppy fell into the river…

She pointed at a little brown dog that was stranded on a rock a few yards from an old stone bridge. The current forced the puppy up against the rock, but it was starting to be forced around it.

Sonic: We've got to save it!

Tails: I can't fly in this wind! It's too strong!

Sonya: Poor little puppy…

A gust of wind blew, forcing the girl's umbrella to bend backwards, and then blow away. It blew past the bridge, and as it passed everyone's point of view, it seemed like a strange figure appeared out of nowhere behind it. It stood on the hand rail of the bridge, seemingly unaffected by the wind. It had, amongst other things, triangular glowing red eyes.

Simon: Look! It's the ghost I saw!

Scotty: Really? How can you be sure?

Simon: The eyes!

The river got more rapid, breaking something apart upstream. Debris from whatever had broken floated down the river very quickly, and then it happened. The puppy lost its grip, and started to wash downstream.

Girl: Ginger!!!

Scotty: What do we do?

The ghost leapt down onto a two-by-four that rushed underneath the bridge. The mysterious stranger somehow seemed to surf down the river on it, and caught up with the struggling puppy. Quick as lightning, it scooped up the dog, and leapt off the board. A few seconds later, it landed next to the girl, and lifted its cloak to reveal a soaked puppy.

Girl: Ginger! <runs up to ghost, picks up Ginger> Thank you, Mr. Stranger.

Ghost: All life is precious, and worthy of protection.

The stranger didn't seem to be a ghost at all. In fact, it looked more like a machine, now that it wasn't hidden in the shadows. Whatever it was, it had two large purple horns sticking out of its head, and was wearing a tattered and torn brown cloak. The stranger itself was a silvery white color, and had a wise and intelligent sounding voice. The stranger got up to leave, but…

Scotty: Wait! Who are you?

Stranger: My name…is of no importance…

Simon: Please tell us!

The stranger crouched slightly for a moment, and then disappeared, making a loud hydraulic noise.

Sonic: Hey, where'd he go?

Simon: I told you he was real!

Billy: Well, it's definitely real, but I doubt that it is an apparition.

Simon: What?

Tails: He says it's real, but not a ghost.

Dr. Arrow: Whatever he was, he's a hero…at least to that young girl…

Scotty: Yeah…Hey, where'd she go?

Tails: There she is.<points to top of hill>

Scotty: Then everyone's safe. Now, let's get moving…

They all returned to their taxis, and continued on to the ceremony. Upon arriving at one of the many large buildings, they got out, paid the drivers, and entered the building. The clerk directed them to a large room where there was a podium, and a lot of journalists. Scotty approached the front of the room, and was welcomed by the man that he had saved the day before.

Scotty: Well, I'm here, sir…

Businessman: Good, I'm glad you could make it. The weather's been terrible.

Scotty: Tell me about it.

Businessman: My name is Derrik Crenshaw. I'm the CEO of this company.

Scotty: Nice to meet you, Mr. Crenshaw.

Derrik: Please, call me Derrik.

They shook hands. Derrik approached the podium, and began to talk into the numerous microphones that were on it.

Derrik: Thank you all for coming, ladies and gentlemen. As many of you know, last night, I was taken hostage by a group of terrorists. Scotty the crime fighter here, he saved me. He was prepared to sacrifice himself for me. The least I can do is give him this…<holds up a large medallion>

Scotty: <walks up to podium> I can't accept that…I was just doing my duty.

Derrik: I insist. You've earned it.

Derrik handed the medallion to the green hedgehog, and cameras flashed as he did so. Scotty reluctantly accepted the gift, and smiled for the cameras.

Derrik: And that's not all…I have decided to fund his organization for whatever it may need.

The crowd stood up and cheered, while taking more pictures, and Scotty stood there, surprised at what had just happened. In the back of the room, his friends were also shocked.

Scotty: Please, sir, we can't-

Derrik: But I want you to have it…whatever you need, if money can buy it, it's yours!

Eventually, Scotty accepted it, and walked to the back of the room while the press interviewed Derrik.

Sonic: Well, Scotty, I guess we won't have any money problems again.

Scotty: I don't deserve it…I was-

Sonic: --Just doing your job, we know. But this guy wants us to have it.

Tails: We could use the money…

Sonya: He's right. Besides, you already accepted, so let's enjoy it.

Sally: We have access to more cash than we could ever need, so let's share it.

Scotty: Good idea. We'll donate a bunch of money to the charities and orphanages and stuff. They could really use it, especially at this time of the year.

Sonic: Sounds good to me.

Billy: Excellent proposition.

Tails: I agree. They need it more than us.

Simon: Yeah, let's surprise them with the best Christmas ever!

Dr. Arrow: It looks like we've made up our minds.

Scotty: Great, I'll go tell him.

Scotty found Derrik talking to a few reporters in one side of the room. He whispered the plan into Derrik's ear, and Derrik agreed.

Derrik: I've just received word that Scotty and his friends, like the true heroes they are, have decided to send money to each and every charity and orphanage in and near the city of New York. Let's hear a round of applause for them all!

They all walked up onto the stage while cameras flashed and people cheered. Eventually, the ceremony died down as Sonic and the others left. They had to make their way through swarms of journalists, but they made it to two new taxis, and went back to the base. Outside, the weather started to let up a bit as the time approached noon. They got out, paid the drivers, and entered the base.

Sonic: Well, today's been pretty exciting, and it's not even noon yet!

Scotty: Kinda makes you wonder how the rest will go…

Simon: Now do you guys believe me?

Sonic: I think we do, Simon. I think we do.

Simon: Yay! Finally!

Billy: I still believe it was a machine.

Tails: I think so, too. I could spot a robot a mile away, and that was definitely a robot.

Sally: But then…how'd he disappear?

Tails: I wish I knew.

Sonya: Maybe it was a ghost of a robot…

Billy: That is highly unlikely.

Simon: Maybe Shadow would know.

They all stopped in their tracks and stared at Simon.

Dr. Arrow: What makes you say that?

Tails: He might be right! Shadow told us to let him know if we found anything out. Well, I'd say that this is something, so let's call him.

Sonic: I guess it couldn't hurt.

They entered the lounge, and Tails called Shadow. Luckily, he was there, and answered the call.

Tails: Hey, Shadow, what's up?

Shadow: What's up? The last time I checked, it was the opposite of down.

Sonic: That's Shadow, all right.

Simon: We found out some stuff about the ghosts…or at least one of them…

Shadow: Really? What is it?

Tails: It seems that one of them isn't a ghost at all. It was a robot.

Shadow: What did it look like?

Tails: We couldn't tell. It was wearing a cloak of some sort.

Shadow: Interesting…Anything else?

Simon: It saved a puppy from drowning.

Shadow: It helped someone out…It very well may be one of the ones that was here.

Sonic: What are you talking about?

Shadow: Good to see you again, Sonic. Anyway, like I told Simon and Tails, Los Vegas was recently involved in a number of hauntings. Since then, they've stopped, but no one really knows what happened.

Scotty: Definitely weird. If we find out anything else, you'll be the first to know.

Shadow: Thanks. I have to go now…Goodbye.

The screen went black. Everyone looked around at each other, trying to figure out what to do next. The question was answered for them when the alarm went off.

Scotty: Looks like it's time to go!

Sonya: Promise me you won't become a hostage again!

Scotty: I promise.

Sonic, Scotty, Tails, and Simon rushed out the door, and headed for central park. A report had come in that arsonists were trying to burn it down. When they arrived, they found fire crews along the outside, soaking everything to keep it from burning. Further inside, police were scattered about, trying to track down the arsonists.

Scotty: This is terrible! We have to stop them!

Tails: Let's split up!

Sonic: Right!

Simon: Let's get them!

They each ran off in different directions, trying to find the criminals. Scotty was the first to encounter them; four of them to be exact. Each of them was equipped with a flamethrower.

Scotty: There you are! You must stop!

Arsonist 1: Not likely, hedgehog!

Arsonist 2: We're gonna light this place up like Christmas tree!

Arsonist 3: It's our holiday gift to the city!

Arsonist 4: Why don't you help us out?

Scotty: Never! I can't allow you to continue!

Arsonist 4: Aw, come on, you know you want to help us…

Scotty: If that's what you think, then you don't know me very well.

Arsonist 3: But evil feels so good!

Scotty: Not as much as being on the good side! <takes out emerald sword, activates it>

Arsonist 1: Looks like he wants to fight!

Arsonist 2: If that's what he wants, then that's what he'll get!

Arsonist 4: You've got one more chance to join us!

Scotty: And you've got one more chance to surrender!

Arsonist 1: Let's take him out!

They all shot their flame throwers at Scotty, but he easily evaded it. The speedy hedgehog ran up behind one of them, and shoved him into another arsonist. The last two fired again while the first two scrambled to get to their feet.

Scotty: You can't win!

Arsonist 1: I beg to differ!

Scotty ran around beside one of them, and sliced his flamethrower in half with his emerald sword. He then tried to do the same to the other one, a but missed when he was blindsided by heat.

Arsonist 3: Ha ha! I'll teach you to shove me down!

Scotty collapsed onto the ground, and tried to get to his knees. He hadn't been exposed to the fire long enough to be burned, but the tips of his quills were slightly scorched. The vengeful arsonist 3 walked up to him, and pointed his flamethrower at Scotty's face.

Arsonist 3: Time to die, hedgehog!

Mere seconds before the arsonist pulled the trigger, the flamethrower was sliced in two. Facing the arsonist, and standing between him and Scotty was the same stranger from that morning, this time without the cloak. From his right arm extended the golden-colored sword that had just cut through the flamethrower. The robot wasn't very tall; maybe around Tails's height, more if you count the horns. His glowing red eyes stared into the eyes of the stupefied arsonist.

Stranger: You are not welcome here. Leave now.

Arsonist 3: Or else what?

Stranger: I will make you leave.

Arsonist 2: You can't take us all on!

Scotty: <standing up> Wanna bet?

Arsonist 1: Come on, guys, we don't have to take this!

Arsonist 2: Yeah, let's go!

The two arsonists with working flamethrowers set fire to nearby trees as all four of them ran away.

Scotty: Come back here!

Stranger: There's no way to catch all of them. The fire department will handle the trees.

Scotty: Who are you?

Stranger: My name is not important. <disappears, making a loud hydraulic noise>

Scotty: Why do they always disappear?

Scotty started to walk away, and soon met up with the others.

Sonic: Scott! There you are!

Scotty: I ran into that robot or ghost or whatever again.

Simon: Really? What happened?

Scotty: Well, he saved my life, then disappeared.

Sonic: That's two that you owe those ghosts…

Scotty: Don't remind me…

Tails: Did you find anyone else?

Scotty: Four guys with flame throwers. After that ghost popped up, they ran away.

Simon: They must've been scared.

Scotty I think I've had enough adventuring for one day…Let's go home.

Sonic: Right.

They all headed home, and were welcomed by those who had stayed behind. Scotty told them all about what happened. They were all mystified by it. Who is this stranger? What is this stranger? And why is this stranger helping without being friendly? None of them could figure it out. Scotty decided to go for a walk. It was near dusk, so he planned on being back soon.

Scotty: <walking alone> What's going on these days? What's the deal with these ghosts? People are messing with me…They all want me to turn back to crime…But how can they not realize that I've changed?

Scotty said all this after entering a small, vacant lot. He didn't know that someone had just heard every word of it. From a tree above him, he was startled by the stranger's voice.

Stranger: You stay with your friends. That's a wise decision.

Scotty: What? Where are you?

Stranger: In the tree.

Scotty: There you are! I was kinda hoping you'd show up.

Stranger: Your friends are who you want to stay with.

Scotty: I know that, but these criminals don't.

Stranger: Does that matter?

Scotty: What?

Stranger: Enemies will come and go, but true friendship is forever.

Scotty: …

Stranger: Everyone will try to make a perfect world for themselves. Everyone's idea of a perfect world is different. That is why people fight and struggle, why they compete in every way. Your friends' ideas for a perfect world are similar to yours. That is why you are who you are, and not one of the criminals.

Scotty: But I was one of them…

Stranger: You saw it as the only way to survive. It caused you much suffering, but in a way you profited from it. You gained many skills, a unique knowledge of this city, and most importantly, friends.

Scotty: I suppose…

Stranger: I love insects. Do you know why?

Scotty: I don't even know your name.

Stranger: Like all of us, they struggle to make a perfect world for themselves. However, they all work together, and rarely fight. Watching these insects build their world brings me great peace.

Scotty: I wish I could be as tranquil as you.

Stranger: My ways are not yours; you are not suited for them.

Scotty: What are my ways?

Stranger: I cannot tell you what they are exactly. However, I do know that you should continue doing what you are best at.

Scotty: You mean fighting crime?

Stranger: I mean stopping those who seek to build their world by destroying that of others.

Scotty: I see…

Stranger: Ignore what evil tells you. You have your own path.

Scotty: …You're right.

Stranger: <jumps down from tree> To answer your first question, I am not a ghost.

Scotty: Who are you?

Stranger: I make a point of not giving out my name…It's all I have.

Scotty: Please, tell me.

Stranger: <walks past Scotty> My name is…Rokusho.

Scotty: Rokusho…

Scotty turned around, only to see Rokusho disappear, making a loud hydraulic noise. The green hedgehog stood there, puzzling over what had just happened. After several minutes, he returned home as the sun set behind him.

Kinda makes you think, huh?

Stay tuned!

Please review!