Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ghosts Of New York ❯ Return A Favor ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

What's up with Metal, anyway?

Chapter 8: Return A Favor

They all stood outside, watching Metal fly away. They wondered what would happen if Robotnik got his hands on their friend. Would he still be their friend? Would Robotnik simply destroy him? Or try to reprogram him?

Scotty: This could be bad…

Sonic: We've got to take care of this, before it becomes a problem.

Simon: I thought he was gonna be okay…I mean, after I saw him back together again…

Sally: How'd you guys do that so fast?

Billy: We are unsure…It would seem that we did nothing; the robot appeared to re-construct itself on its own.

Sonya: How is that possible?

Tails: I don't know…But it happened.

Nightingale: The way he got off the table and left…He didn't say a word…It's almost creepy.

Dr. Arrow: It looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. The problem is, what is he doing?

SJ: We can't let him get away! Let's follow him!

Amy: I don't know what I would do if something happened to him!

They all ran off, following Metal, who was high in the sky. They followed him all the way across the city, and had to stop when he went out over the ocean. They stood on the beach, helpless. Metal flew straight out to sea, and there was nothing they could do.

Susie: This is terrible!

Lilac: What are we going to do now?

Billy: we need a way to cross the ocean, and quickly!

Amy took out her cell phone, and dialed a number.

Amy: Hey, Jim, it's me, Amy. Can you put me through to Kennedy? …Thanks…

Sonic: Who are you calling?

Amy waved him off, and continued the call.

Amy: …Kennedy! Listen, I don't have time to talk, and I need a favor. Can you get us a--…Hey, how'd you know? …Thanks, you're the best!

Scotty: Who was that?

Amy: Some employees of that Derrick guy. I talked to them the other day.

A Chinook helicopter flew overhead, and landed in front of them. The large helicopter's rear cargo door opened, and Amy led them all in. The door closed, and the twin-rotor helicopter took off, and flew out to sea.

Scotty: So this is what you called for…

Amy: Yeah, like Derrick said, if we need anything, let him know.

Sonic: Sometimes you amaze me, Amy…when you're not trying to choke me, anyway.

Tails: Well, I'm just glad we've still got a way to follow Metal…Good idea, Amy.

Amy: No problem, Tails. Why can't the rest of you support me like that?

Sonya: We do, Amy.

Simon: Yeah, we just didn't get a chance to tell you.

The helicopter flew after Metal, and somehow caught up with him. Metal ignored them, and continued flying. They eventually flew over a small island that wasn't on any maps. Metal descended, and landed on it. The helicopter followed.

Pilot: Okay, we're on the ground. We'll be here when you're ready to go.

Amy: Thanks. Let's go!

Sonic: Who died and made you queen?

Amy ignored him, and they all exited the Chinook. They ran up to Metal, who stood motionlessly, facing inland.

Simon: Metal, are you okay?

The robot didn't answer. They stood on the beach with him, trying to get a reaction from him. It didn't work. The sun was setting, and Metal hadn't moved in over an hour. It was suggested that they try to force him to move, but they had no way of knowing what he would do, so they didn't try.

Amy: Come on, Metal, please do something!

Billy: It would seem that he is under the control of an outside force.

Scotty: But what is it? And how?

Sonic: I hope he does something soon, it's getting dark, and nobody else knows this island even exists!

There was a voice coming from some hidden loudspeakers…

Robotnik: Correction, Hedgehog!

They were all shocked to hear Robotnik's voice. They readied themselves to fight, and tried to figure out what direction they would be attacked from.

Robotnik: It seems that you have stumbled right into my base!

Sonic: Show yourself, you coward!

They surrounded Metal with their backs to him, trying to protect the robot.

Scotty: Where are you?

Sonic: Get out here and fight, you psycho!

Metal gripped Sonic's shoulder.

Metal: You will not talk about the great Robotnik like that!

They all turned around, and saw Metal lift Sonic into the air, and throw him several yards away.

Robotnik: Get them, MS-02!

Metal: With pleasure, sir.

Metal jumped over to Sonic, who was on his back trying to stand up. The robot pointed his blasters at Sonic's face, and Sonic stopped moving, frozen with fear.

Metal: This ends now, Hedgehog!

Simon: Metal! NO!!

Metal fired, but hit sand. It was as if Sonic had disappeared. The robot looked around, and saw Scotty help Sonic over to his friends.

Metal: You move quickly, crime fighter. But it will not be enough.

Metal's Russian accent made his voice sound all the more menacing. He dashed back over to the group of them, and grabbed Amy by the arm.

Metal: Let's see how you handle this!

He took off, carrying a screaming pink hedgehog with him. He was too high for any of them to reach him, and he hovered above them. His eyes glowed very brightly in the dark night sky.

Amy: HEEELLLPPP!!!!

Metal: Silence your screams, you whiney brat!

Amy began to cry as she looked up at her captor. Before, he had been a good friend to her. But now, he was no better than Robotnik.

Amy: Metal, why are you doing this?

Metal: I will not explain myself to you!

Scotty: Let her go!

Tails: Bring Amy back!

Simon: What happened to you, Metal?!

Metal: I came around.

Robotnik: That's right. He finally realized that his true place is at my side!

Sonic: What did you do to him?!

Robotnik: I simply showed him the error of his ways!

Sonic: If you don't call him off, I'm gonna error your way!

Robotnik: News flash, Sonic: That doesn't make any sense! Not only that, but Metal belongs to me…and so does Amy. If you want her back, you'll have to survive my island!

Metal flew over the tops of the trees that made a dense jungle on the edge of the beach, disappearing from sight.

Sonic: We can't let it get away! Let's go!

He started to run toward the edge of the jungle, but Scotty stopped him.

Scotty: Sonic, wait!

Sonic stopped.

Sonic: What is it?

Scotty: Watch this!

Scotty picked up a rock, and threw it into the forest. As soon as it hit the edge of the forest, electricity destroyed the rock, leaving only a cloud of dust.

Sonic: Whoa! Thanks, Scott!

Scotty: That's why I'm here.

Tails: So, now what do we do?

Dr. Arrow: Why not use the helicopter?

They all stopped for a moment, wondering why they hadn't thought of that. Sonic shrugged, and they all got on board.

Scotty: Follow that robot!

Pilot: You're the boss.

The Chinook took off, and followed Metal over the trees. For some reason, Metal had been waiting for them, and only now flew inland. He eventually came to a large building, and flew into it through a door on the roof. The helicopter landed, and everyone followed the robot into the building.

Sally: Where are they?

They heard Amy scream from down the hall.

Sonic: That way!

They ran after the sound, and turned down another hallway, just in time to see Amy dragged into an elevator, and have the door shut behind her. They ran up to the closed door.

Sonya: Oh no!

Tails: Look! There's another elevator!

The fox pointed to an empty elevator on the other side of the hall.

Scotty: I don't know…It might be a trap…

Sonic: Only one way to find out!

Sonic ran into the elevator, and was surprised when…nothing happened. The rest of them squeezed into the elevator, and Simon pushed the only button on the wall. The doors shut, and the elevator car started to descend underground. Sonic heard something…

Sonic: Hey guys…Do you hear that?

Scotty: Oh no…It could only be one thing…

There was a long pause as they all realized what it was…

All: ELEVATOR MUSIC!!!!

The cheesy music made a trip of half a minute seem like half an hour. This music was no doubt one of Robotnik's most sinister torture weapons. Finally, the elevator stopped, and the doors opened. They all rushed out, trying to get the music out of their heads.

Sonic: We should lock Robotnik up just for that!

They forgot the problem when they heard Amy scream from down the hall. Once again, they followed the sound. They were led to a large room, and a heavy door closed behind them. Several large screens showing Robotnik's face lit up across the ceiling.

Robotnik: Excellent work, hedgehog. You've managed to walk right into my trap!

Sonic: What?

A door opened in one side of the room, and a small platform extended from it. Sitting under a protective dome on the platform…was Robotnik. The screens on the ceiling showed a close-up of his face as he talked.

Robotnik: Sonic…my long-time adversary…

Sonic: Hey, Robotnik, can we skip the evil talk and get right to the part where I kick your can?

Robotnik: You won't win this time, Sonic.

Sonic: Maybe not if I was alone, but I brought some help…

Tails: You can't win.

Scotty: We won't allow it!

Simon: We're gonna rescue our friends!

Sally: So don't try to stop us…

Sonya: …Or you'll pay the price!

Dr. Arrow: It's you that won't win.

Billy: You're defeat is certain.

SJ: Get ready…

Secret: …To lose!

Lilac: We're taking…

Susie: …You out!

Sonic: So you see, I think we are gonna kick your can!

Robotnik: Not when you see this!

Another door opened, and revealed Amy strapped to a wall inside a small room. Metal stepped out of the room, and a clear door closed behind him.

Robotnik: First, I'm going to have MS-02 attack you. But here's the twist: Each time any of you attacks him, your little friend gets a zap based on how hard you hit him! Guess what happens if you do manage to destroy him…

Sonic: You can't be serious!

Robotnik: Oh, I'm quite serious. If MS-02 is destroyed, you can say bye-bye to Amy. Are still sure you can win?

Scotty: Sonic, I think he's got us…If we destroy Metal, we kill Amy.

Sonic: And if we don't, Metal kills us!

Robotnik: That's right, Sonic. MS-02, go to work. Hahahahahahahhahahaa!!

Metal jumped at Sonic, and the blue hedgehog dodged the attack. They all scattered, and spread out across the room.

Sonic: Metal, you have to stop!

Metal: I will kill you all!

Simon: Please, try to remember!

Metal: Remember what? You stupid children surrounding me?!

SJ: Remember that you were our friend!

Metal: I have no need for friends!

Metal dashed toward SJ, but the speedy hedgehog jumped out of the way at the last second.

Scotty: There's got to be a way we can fight this guy!

Billy: I think the most obvious solution would be to free Amy, and then deal with Metal Sonic!

Tails: Good idea! I'll get her, cover me!

Robotnik: I don't think so, Tails!

Robotnik pressed a button on the console in front of him, and everyone watched as electricity surged through Amy's body. The pink hedgehog could only manage a few noises through clenched teeth.

Robotnik: Back off, Tails. Unless of course you want your friend to die!

Sonic: Do what he says, Tails.

Tails backed away, and narrowly dodged the spiked knuckles of Metal's fist as they slammed into the floor.

Sonya: What can we do?!

Robotnik: You can surrender to me. If you do, I'll release Amy.

Sonic: What then?

Robotnik: That is for me to know, and you to find out.

Metal stopped attacking them, and there was an uneasy calm.

Sally: What should we do?

Sonya: I'm not sure we have a choice.

Dr. Arrow: What about the children?

Sonic: We can't sacrifice them…

Scotty: Robotnik…If we do surrender, you have to let Amy go…and the children…

Robotnik: Hmm…Interesting offer…As far as I'm concerned, you're all useless brats! So which children are you talking about?

Sonic: SJ, Susie…

Scotty: Secret, Lilac…

Dr. Arrow: Night…

Everyone whose name was mentioned looked up at their parents in horror, the tears welling up in their eyes.

Robotnik: <thinking> The emotional suffering alone is worth all this work!

Sonya: Simon, Billy…

Sally: And Tails…

Robotnik: No…I want Billy and Tails in addition to the rest of you…Their minds will be useful…

Tails: I'll do it, Sonic…If it means we can save the rest of them.

Sonic: Tails, I can't ask you t-

Tails: You don't have to, Sonic. I'm willing to do it.

Scotty: We can't give you Billy…Who knows how Knuckles would react?

From a dark corner of the room, there was a familiar voice…

Knuckles: I wouldn't take it too well.

All: Knuckles?!

Sonic: How did you get here?

Knuckles: I have my ways…

Billy: It's good to see you, brother.

Knuckles: Same here, Billy.

Robotnik: I hate to break up this little reunion, but we have some business to attend to. Either Billy is part of the group I keep, or we don't have a deal.

There was a weak voice from behind the clear door…

Amy: Don't do it…Sonic…

Sonic: Amy?

Amy: I'm…not…worth it…

Robotnik: Silence, you brat!

Robotnik shocked her again, and they were helpless to stop it.

Knuckles: <angry sigh> It's up to you, Billy. I can't choose for you.

Billy: It would seem…that the best course of action…would be to…agree.

Robotnik: Hahahahaha! Excellent, then we've agreed…I let the children go, and the rest of you belong to me! That includes you, Knuckles!

Knuckles: Don't rub it in…

Robotnik held out a small remote, and pressed a button on it.

Robotnik: MS-02, bring them to me…

Scotty: <sees remote, thinking> What is that?

Robotnik pressed a button on the console in front of him, and Amy was released. She fell to the floor, and struggled over to Sonic and the others.

Susie: Daddy…Mommy…You're not going away, are you?

Sonic: I'm sorry…We have no choice…

Sally: You guys will be fine…I hope…

Secret: Please, no…

Sonya: I wish things were different…

Scotty: Take care of yourselves…

Dr. Arrow: Goodbye, Night…

Nightingale: No…Please!

Dr. Arrow: I have to go now…

Nightingale: Dad!

Metal unceremoniously grabbed Sonic and pulled him toward Robotnik. Guard robots entered the room, and the families huddled together in hugs as the robots started pulling on them all.

SJ: I'll miss you!

Lilac: Mommy!

They were pulled apart, and yet they reached for each other. Robotnik's prize was taken into a door beneath him, and the others were thrown outside. Robotnik stood up, and walked onto a platform in a large room that had several large, cylindrical tanks of neon green bubbling liquid. On the floor below, Sonic and the others were brought in, and the door closed behind them.

Robotnik: Welcome to my robiticization chamber!

Sonic: What?! You're going to roboticize us?!

Robotnik: You learn fast, hedgehog.

Tails: I won't let you get me, too!

Robotnik: You don't have a choice. Your parents make wonderful slaves, and soon you will, too. We just have to get rid of that pesky flying ability of yours…

Tails: What?! No!

Robotnik: If you're lucky, you'll get to design new weapons for me with that pathetic little echidna!

Knuckles: You'd better watch it! That's my brother you're talking about!

Billy: So that's why you wanted me! I won't work for you!

Robotnik: You won't have a choice about it! Once you've been roboticized, you lose your free will!

Sally: We can't let him do this to us!

Robotnik: Hook them up.

Hundreds of robotic cables streamed down from the ceiling, each with a small, three-fingered robotic hand on the end. They grabbed Scotty and the others, and strapped them to a thick metal panel, each one above a tank.

Robotnik: Now-

He was interrupted by a loud beeping noise coming from a device at his side. Robotnik looked down at it, and…

Robotnik: The children are all on the roof…Excellent…Now, Sonic, watch as I bring those children back here!

Sonic: You said you'd release them!

Robotnik: I did, but I never said I wouldn't recapture them! You don't honestly think I was about to let the next generation of my opponents to run free, did you? Ha! If you did, then you are gravely mistaken.

He held out the same remote, and pressed the same button on it.

Robotnik: Stay here, and make sure they don't escape! I'll be back, Sonic, don't go anywhere, hahahahaahaha!

Robotnik left the room.

Metal: Soon, you shall see the greatness of Robotnik!

Sonic: I don't get it, Metal! What happened to you?!

Metal: Like I said before, I realized the error of my ways.

Scotty: That device…Metal! What's that remote thing that Robotnik left over there?

Metal looked up, and saw the remote.

Metal: It does not matter.

Scotty: In that case, why don't you destroy it?

Metal: That is not necessary.

Sonya: Scotty, what are you getting at?

Scotty: I'm trying to…Wait a second, that's it!

Sonic: What's it?

Scotty: That remote must be some kind of control device! Every time I saw Robotnik give him a command, he had that remote! If I could just get to it…

Metal: So you figured out the secret, huh? Well, it will do you no good; you are still unable to move.

There was a voice from far above them…

Rokusho: Maybe I can fix that!

Scotty: Rokusho!

Rokusho leapt down, slicing the restraint that held Scotty's right arm with his sword. Rokusho landed on the ground, facing Metal.

Rokusho: You know what to do, Scotty, so do it!

Scotty: Right!

Scotty reached down, and grabbed his emerald sword. Using it, he cut himself loose, and went to work freeing the others. Meanwhile, on the floor below them…

Metal: What are you doing here?

Rokusho: Helping my friends.

Metal: You should not have come. Now, I must destroy you!

Rokusho: That won't happen.

Rokusho began to glow as a green aura surrounded him.

Metal: You do not stand a chance against me. Do you have any last words?

Rokusho: Just one…

Rokusho crossed his arms behind him for a moment, then swung them around.

Rokusho: MEDAFOOOORRCEE!!

A blinding beam of energy shot from Rokusho, and it hit Metal. Metal tried to block it, but he was overwhelmed by the immense power of it. When it ended, both robots were on the ground. Rokusho was almost out of energy, and Metal was badly damaged.

Rokusho: Scotty…You have to get out of here…

Scotty finished freeing the last of his friends, and ran over to the remote.

Scotty: Thanks, Rokusho. Are you okay?

Rokusho: <stands up, shakily> I'll be fine…But this place is about to explode!

Rokusho disappeared in a vertical blur and a loud, hydraulic noise. Scotty picked up the remote.

Scotty: Okay…Now to deal with this…

He tossed the remote on the ground, and stomped on it, destroying it.

Sonic: That's great, Scott, but in case you didn't hear that guy, this place is gonna blow up!

Sonya: Come on, Scotty!

Sally: We have to get outta here!

Scotty jumped down to the floor, where everyone else was.

Scotty: You guys go ahead! There's something I gotta do!

Knuckles: All right, but make it fast, Scott.

Tails: Don't do anything crazy!

Billy: Good luck.

They all left, except Scotty. He ran over to what was left of Metal, and picked it up. He slung it over his shoulder, and ran as fast as he could to catch up to his friends. He had to take the second elevator since his friends had already activated the first one.

Scotty: Okay…Come on, now…

Finally, the elevator made it to the top. Scotty ran out, and made it through the hallways to the roof. The helicopter's blades were already spinning, and Scotty made it on just as the helicopter took off. Scotty set Metal down, and collapsed to the floor.

Scotty: Whew…That was too close! But I guess Metal an I are even…

Pilot: We're not out of the woods yet!

Sonic: Why not?

The helicopter was high above the island, and below, the entire place exploded, rattling the aircraft. When the smoke cleared, there was something where the island had been. It was a giant blob-like monster, with a large, metallic sphere inside it. Robotnik's voice came over the radio…

Robotnik: I'm not done with you, Hedgehog!

A huge tentacle-like thing extended from the blob, and it almost reached the helicopter.

Robotnik: This is a little technology I picked up from the ARK!

Tails: That thing…It does look familiar…Sonic! That's a giant version of one of those blob things on the ARK!

Sonic: The weak spot looks different…but other than that…I think you're right!

Scotty: You told me about those things…But how can we fight it?

I bet you want to know what happens next…well, I'll tell you all, as soon as I write it.

Please review!