Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Inked In Flame- Revoloutions! ❯ Inked In Flame- Revoloutions! Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In Flame Revolution! - Chapter the first

It was a beautiful, lukewarm day in Mystic Ruins. The clouds floated ponderously across the sky, and the birds were singing more tunefully than most symphony orchestras. It was a fine day to stay indoors, Tails had decided. He had just bought some new chemicals from eBay, and he was trying to use them to create a more efficient fuel for the Tornado- one that didn’t make it spontaneously explode this time. During his ten-year life, Tails had gotten an unnaturally good knowledge of what did and didn’t explode when put into the engine of an incredibly expensive transforming plane. He carefully transferred the liquids from one beaker to the other (a practice that long stereotyped scientists, but that was entirely pointless if the mixture was mixed properly), and sniffed it. He then, as was his habit, dipped his finger in and tasted it. Of course, this wasn’t smart, but, as Tails had reasoned, he only had one life, and he wasn’t about to get another just by smashing up some televisions or something stupid like that. He may as well live whilst he had the chance.
As he swilled the liquid round his mouth (it tasted of mint), he heard the door to his house shut. He grinned. Walking into his living room, he spotted his intruder sitting on his couch, and eating his crisps.
“Hey, Tails. How’re things going?” Sonic asked.
“What have I told you about breaking into my house?” Tails sighed.
“Sorry, Tails, but your TV has better resolution than real life. And I have to watch the news so I can see my dangerously sexé body!” Sonic laughed, putting on a weird voice.
“Sonic, stop being a paedophile and turn the volume up.” Tails sighed. The ‘dangerously sexé’ hedgehog was sometimes a bit of a bother these days. As Tails had mellowed, his more famous friend had just gotten more energetic.
“So, why are you the news today, Sonic?” Tails asked resignedly. After all, he’d find out whether he liked it or not.
“I put out a forest fire, young Sherlock.” Sonic smirked.
“Sherlock? What the hell? Oh, never mind.” Tails said, after seeing that, for some reason, Sonic was wearing a fake moustache.
“Sonic the hedgehog put out a forest fire today. This is the third one this week…” the TV blared on.
“You’re a bit lippy these days, Tails. Anything on your mind?” Sonic asked, looking at the fox.
These days, the fox was about as tall as Sonic was, and twice as sarcastic. He rarely stepped outside the lab, and when he did, it was usually to go to his favourite junk shop for extra parts. His colouring had turned slightly darker- not like the lurid yellow of his past. Now, it was more of a brownish amber.
“Nothing much. Just quantum physics, world hunger and psychological phenomena of evil geniuses. You?” the fox smiled.
“…and, in a shock move for all of his fans, Sonic has somehow managed to grow a moustache in the last two days!” the TV went on.
Sonic just smiled and pointed to it. Tails groaned.
“Anyway, are you like, not planning on getting a girlfriend or something?” Sonic asked, one eyebrow rising scurrilously.
“What?” Tails choked.
“It’s just that…If you had a girlfriend, you could move into her place! If you do that, can I have all your stuff?” Sonic asked, keeping a straight face.
“You worry me sometimes, Sonic. You really worry me…”

Knuckles was sitting on Angel Island. Well, not that you’d have found him if you looked. He was sitting behind a bush, with a copy of DSF (Dangerously Sexé Fuzzies), doing his business. When he eventually finished, he became aware of a strange presence on his island. His martial arts training had taught him how to sense aggression at high distances, his prolonged contact with Chaos Emeralds had only heightened this ability. Mostly, it was a bit of a rip, since it was set off almost daily by people getting angry at random things, but occasionally it flagged up things that he took note of. There were currently two nearby presences which were demonstrating aggression towards him. He checked his watch, which he had never worn before, and wasn’t entirely sure where it had came from. It was three o’clock in the afternoon. That solved the mystery of the first one. It was around this time that Rouge usually dropped by. Another day, another attempt at the theft of the Master Emerald. It got a little depressing at times. Oh well. Secretly, Knuckles was undecided about whether he hated Rouge’s little escapades or not. It was always annoying to have to protect the Master Emerald against her, but on the other hand, she did brighten up what was usually a pretty boring day. He groaned and started his stretches. It was time to protect his island.

“Mother…May I have that dress? Pretty please? It’s so cute!” Cream squeaked.
Vanilla smiled as Cream picked out the dress. It was a darkish orange, with a white zig-zagged hem and collar. It seemed to suit the rabbit perfectly.
“Of course, Cream. We call it shopping because we actually buy stuff, and not just look at it like we normally do!” Amy piped up. Vanilla laughed. She, Cream and Amy were out shopping for clothes. Because of the seemingly random attacks Dr. Eggman made, Cream had rarely been out shopping, so Vanilla had thought it best to treat her. Amy had been hanging around outside her favourite milkshake shop, having spent all her money on Harry’s Artic Wonders. As Amy was Cream’s friend, Cream had insisted that Amy accompany them on the shopping trip. Amy didn’t argue.
“Is there any particular reason for that dress, though?” Amy asked, one eyebrow shooting skywards as she observed the pattern.
“Not really, Amy.” Cream replied in a puzzled voice.
“Where’s Cheese?” Vanilla asked in her motherly way.
“Cheese! I left him to look at the tie section! I’d better go and get him!” Cream shrieked (her voice was very high pitched when she was alarmed), dashing off.
“Vanilla? Who does that dress remind you of?” Amy asked, once she was sure Cream was out of earshot.
“A certain two-tailed inventor who happens to be a suspiciously good friend of my daughter.” Vanilla smiled.
“I think that’s who it reminds her of as well…” Amy said thoughtfully.

Tails bade Sonic farewell. The news was over, and it was time for his friend to disappear into the sunset.
The orange kit returned to his experiment, deciding what next to react the chemicals with next. As he dabbled, he thought of all of his good friends. There was Sonic, who had always acted as Tails’ big brother, getting him out of scrapes and trouble, and constantly nagging him to get out on the town and get a girlfriend. Recently, Sonic had started getting grey stress spines. (He was mortified, and started dying his spines. Yet another reason for the hedgehog to hate water.)
Then, there was knuckles, the thick-headed martial artist. Knuckles had retired to Angel Island in recent months, and was becoming more and more laid back. (Tails thought it had something to do with the plants on the island.)
Amy, the pink time bomb, who was still head over heels in love with Sonic. She as she grew up, she had started begging Tails to do research into love potions, and told him that whatever she didn’t need, he could keep. Tails didn’t see why he would need something like that. (Amy had also gained weight recently. Tails suspected it was too many milkshakes.)
Next, he thought of Rouge. Rouge was still the same as ever, trying to poach the Master Emerald from under Knuckles’ nose. (Both of them kept bugging Tails to make some inventions to help them out. Tails had almost got killed several times in the arguments.)
Shadow was up next, and of all of Tails’ friends, the hedgehog had changed least. Still moody, still arrogant, still didn’t want to spend his time with the rest of the gang. (Despite his personality, Shadow had recently been on a game show and won 30,000 Mobians. Goodness only knows what he did with it.)
There then was Team Chaotix. After the whole Metal Sonic issue, they’d been swamped with work. Tails didn’t see them too often. (Tails wasn’t looking forward to seeing Charmy again.)
Vanilla had acted as a kind of mom for Tails. She seemed to like having him around, and often baked cookies for him. (She was really scary when she got mad though. Even Shadow didn‘t have the guts to mess with Vanilla.)
Last of all, there was Cream. Tails could never really make his mind up about Cream. Every time he thought of her, he imagined the smell of flowers and baking. Cream was a little shorter than himself, and a little more relaxed. Tails had always been slightly high-strung, but when he was with Cream, his tempo seemed to slow to little more than a crawl. Cream was Cream, Tails had concluded. There was simply no one else like her, and nothing he was willing to compare her with. He was glad they were friends. Tails took a look at the window, and was surprised to see that it was already night time. He’d been swilling around the same chemicals for hours. He swore at himself for wasting so much valuable time. With the price of fuel rising so much, he could scarcely afford to dabble. Yawning, he decided that he’d get an early night. He put on his PJs, which had been a gift from Vanilla. They were light blue, with Tails’ emblem stitched onto the front. He turned off the lights, and threw himself into bed. Tucking himself in, he was slightly disturbed to remember that he’d been tucking himself in for as long as he could remember. He was so lonely…Closing his eyes, Tails tossed and turned, trying to get some sleep.

Tails was flying, flying higher than he had ever flown before. The sky was a perfect blue, and the clouds seemed like puffy balls of white cotton wool above him. A flock of birds passed him, and Tails saw they were like no birds he had ever seen before. They were different colours- Red, Green, Blue, Orange, Grey…All the colours of the rainbow. All the colours of the chaos emeralds. A flock of birds flew right at Tails, knocking him off his flight path. Suddenly, his world started going down. He had lost his ability to fly! He fell through the sky to the sound of deep, rumbling laughter. He screamed out, but the unrelenting laughter drowned out his voice. Down below, Tails saw Sonic running along below him, trying to catch him. But he was so slow! He wasn’t going to make it in time! He was about to hit the ground. Tails imagined himself flat on the ground, nothing more than a red smear to mark where he had hit the ground. He imagined the sound he would make on the floor. He wondered whether he would thud or squish. Sonic was still speeding along, but there was no way he could get there now. Tails closed his eyes and prepared for the impact. But the impact never came. He felt wind a gust of wind carrying him upwards into the sky. He opened his eyes and saw another flock of the birds, the chaos gulls, flying toward him. As he was enveloped in a storm of birds, a bright, pure light flashed behind him. He looked back and saw a creature that seemed to be made of pure energy carrying him. It stared at him with deep, wise blue eyes.

“Tails? Tails, wake up!”
The world fuzzed into focus as Tails woke up. Sonic was standing above him with a worried expression. Tails noticed that he had rolled out of his bed and fell onto the floor in his sleep.
“What happened, Tails?” Sonic asked, as Tails hoisted himself to his feet.
“I won the sweepstakes.” Tails grinned.
“Really?!”
“NO! I was having a nightmare, what did you think happened?” Tails groaned. He was still groggy and irritable. Miles ‘Tails’ Prower had never been accused of being a morning person.
“What time is it?” he yawned.
“11 o’ clock. You’ve been asleep for quite a while, buddy.”
“WHAT? 11 O’ CLOCK? I’ve been asleep for way too long! I said I’d meet Cream in the park at noon!” Tails shouted, discarding his pyjamas. The only reason he needed jammies was that he got terrible morning fur, and didn’t like to be seen with it messy. He was proud of how he kept it so glossy and sleek. He started combing it down frantically, trying to get it as good as it could be. Sonic smiled. Normally, Tails wasn’t that concerned, but as this was a day out with Cream in the park, the fox liked to look his best. Tails suddenly rushed into the bathroom, and started brushing his teeth at a speed that made even Sonic look bad.
When Tails had finally got himself in a state where he wouldn’t be ashamed to show his mug in public, Sonic stopped him.
“Tails? If there’s anything you wanna get off your chest, I’m here for you.” the hedgehog said kindly. He needn’t have bothered, because Tails had already spat out his toothbrush and left the house.

A long way away from Station Square, a lone fox looked out from the mountaintops. “This mission could be pretty dangerous…I hope I get there in time…” it murmured, before jumping down the mountain to rejoin its companions.

------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------
I don’t own Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Rouge, Vanilla, Jet, Wave, Storm, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Charmy, Espio or Vector. They’re all owned by the (drum roll) Sega Corporation!

This is a remixed version of the original Inked In Flame (which was also written by me.) It’s been extended, infused, and peppered with humour.
Bibliography: This chapter was based on Inked In Flame Chapter One. I lifted the ‘dream sequence’ bit straight out of the original. Oh, and the most major difference between this chapter and the original is that this one isn’t all in bold italics (groan…)
There’ll be a few plot differences between this and the original, so this will be the definitive version. Bye! TVH1