Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Inked in flame ❯ Chapter the whateverth: The Forgotten Smile ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
and gentlemen, it’s time for another chapter of Inked In Flame!
….Looking back at the history of this fan fiction, I can really see how my ability and style have changed as I wrote it. Once again, I extend my sincerest thanks to my readers, reviewers and friends. And, with that, I will give over to our sponsors!

…which brings me to my next point. I’m going to stop doing the sponsors every chapter now. It gets draining, both for ideas and morale. It’s a sad occasion when Guy and Gal die…

Guy: Hey guys. I guess it’s time for us to go back in our box.
Gal: Box? IT’S A GODDAMN COFFIN! HOW COULD THE AUTHOR DO THIS TO US??!?!?!
Guy: Well, it happens.
Gal: WE WILL BE BACK, AS MASKED VIGILANTES READY TO PROTECT OTHER SPONSORS AGAINST THEIR AUTHORS! AWAY, SUPERGUY!
Guy: Oh, dear. Heather got the Lucozade again…

I’m gonna miss ‘em…*sob* Oh, yeah, and this chapter gets a little bit bloody, so if you’re squeamish, avert your eyes now.

------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

The Forgotten Smile

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------

Raze’s laughter echoed ominously. There were hundreds of nameless, faceless victims swarming him. He cut them down with his claws, spinning on the balls of his feet. It was like a cyclone of blood was shearing down the enemies. It was a cramped corridor, obviously made to impede progress by mobs of raiders. Such methods were useless against Raze, as he took on the whole Guild with no fear. The others followed, trying to either get a lick of the action, or trying to get clear of the few attacks that managed to get past Raze’s blanketing offensive.
“Raze! We’re here if you need us! You don’t have to take them all on by yourself!” Tails yelled.
“Kid, you ain’t learned anything about me if you think I need your help. Every day, I face the entire world by myself. I think I can handle a few hundred victims!” the blue fox laughed.
Taking down another few Guilders with one huge swing of his claws, he began to laugh again. One unlucky Guilder caught his eye, and he grabbed the Guilder’s head, and began to squeeze.

Within fifteen seconds, there was a sickening crack as the bones of the Guilder’s skull gave way. Everyone heard it. The rest of the Guilders backed away, shocked at such brutal strength and ruthlessness. Cream cried out in shock. Even if the Gilders were her enemy, she could never condone such a brutal method of execution. Amy stopped, and retched on the floor. It was the most merciless thing she had ever seen. Tails stopped. Inside, he had been ready to hurt, maim, even kill to protect his friends. Was he capable of something like that? If he started to hurt and kill, would this no longer faze him? Knuckles stepped back, as did Jecht. Even though they knew that Raze was a consummate warrior, just like them, even they were shocked at his brutality. Raze lurched forward, seeing the fear that this execution had instilled within his enemies. He knew that whilst they were scared, they would be as lambs to the slaughter. Ai sighed. She had known that Raze wasn’t afraid to kill to achieve his aims. She knew that when enraged, Raze would show no mercy. She should have known that, seething with rage and thirsting for vengeance, fighting such a personal enemy, Raze wouldn’t hesitate at anything. She should have known.
Sonic stepped over to the fallen Guilder, with an intent to say a prayer for the poor soul. Shadow walked beside him, and stopped him. He pushed Sonic back towards Eleanor, and said the prayer himself. Sonic thought that he was just being selfish, but that wasn’t it. Shadow was protecting him. Looking down, the ebony hedgehog saw that the Guilder’s skull had caved in like an easter egg, fragments of skull littered in the exposed brain. Ripping off a scrap of the Guilder’s uniform, he covered the head. Then, strengthening his resolve, he followed his friends into the valley of corpses that lay in Raze’s wake.

They entered a main hub, which was a huge, circular room with corridors arching off it. Raze immediately bounded down one corridor, leaving his comrades to do what they wanted. All of the Guilders had had to retreat into the corridors.
“Okay. If anyone wants to turn back, now is the time to do it.” Ai said solemnly. No one moved.
“Raze…He probably knows where Arid is. I think it would be better to leave him be. He needs to fight Arid himself…Anyway, there are still a lot of Guilders. When Raze is finished with Arid, he’ll either be too tired to finish the rest of the Guilders, or…” she tailed off.
“That doesn’t matter! We need to take care of the Guilders!” she checked herself.
“Alright. Everyone, split up. Tails, Cream, you come with me.” Jecht said.
“Amy? You go with Knuckles. I can handle myself.” Shadow said.
“Hey, I’ll go with Knuckles as well!” Hadrian piped up.
“That leaves me, Ai and Eleanor. Let’s go!” Sonic announced. The group split up, each taking a separate corridor. Eleanor turned, and smiled.

“Rouge? Are you sure we should be here?” Soots asked, his cowardly nature showing through his voice.
“Well, this is the hideout, isn’t it? I’m pretty sure that whatever your former boss intends to do with the Master Emerald, it isn’t going to be good. Well, for me, at least.” Rouge said.
“Are you all you care about?” the bird asked.
“Are you?” the bat replied.
Leaving Soots pondering, Rouge dashed through the door of the Guild.

“Huh, where’d Eleanor go? We need her for this!” Sonic exclaimed. Ai looked around. Eleanor had disappeared without a trace.
“Hmm. I wonder. Why are there no soldiers in this wing?” Ai asked.
“Hey, check out the sign here. It says, ‘Quarters of Sub-Commander Ivory.’ What do you think it means?” the hedgehog pondered.
“It means that we just might have one hell of a fight on our hands.” Ai replied grimly.
Walking forwards, she saw a huge, cast iron door at the end of the corridor. It was ajar, and the sickly scent of blood was hanging in the air. Walking through the door, Ai gasped, there, lying on the floor, was Ivory. Or, at least, Ivory’s corpse.

Raze dusted himself down, then laughed. The Arridian Guild was certainly predictable. Seeing the huge, cast iron door at the end of the corridor, he knew that what he was waiting for was right around the corner. It had been easy to find Arid’s location. All he had had to do was find the biggest concentration of Arid’s minions. Readying his claws for battle, tensing his muscles and focusing his mind, he wrenched the door from it’s hinges and tossed it on the ground. He walked into the room. It was less of a room that an arena. It was large, with curved walls that were adorned with weapons. There was a rich, well decorated tapestry on the wall which showed the ‘glorious’ history of the Arridian Guild. And, standing in the centre, was Raze’s mortal enemy, the one person who he would go to any lengths to beat. Arid laughed, and beckoned him.
“Why, hello Raze! You’re early. You never fail to surprise and impress me. But then, I suppose that’s partially my fault, isn’t it?” the elderly fox laughed.
“Flattery’ll get you nowhere. Besides to the cemetery.” Raze growled.
“Ah, Raze! Always work before pleasure with you, isn’t it?” Arid laughed.
“Oh, it’ll be a pleasure all right. What could be more fun than wrenching your head from your shoulders?” Raze laughed sourly.
“Oh, but I don’t think you will. I think you might want some answers first.” Arid said calmly.
“I don’t want answers, you swine! I want blood! I want you to feel my pain! The pain that you gave me! I’m going to give it all back threefold! You die today, Arid!” Raze shouted, surging forwards.
“Oh, dear. I wanted to talk some more…Oh well. Maybe this will remind you of your place.” Arid said quietly, reaching into his pocket.
“DIE, YOU DEMON!” Raze shouted, his claws extended, razor sharp, and aimed at Arid’s throat.
“Take this! CHAOS BOND!” Arid shouted, pulling the red Chaos Emerald from his pocket and pointing it towards Raze. Raze thrust his arm forwards, slicing at the emerald. The moment that Raze’s claws made contact with the emerald, it shattered into a thousand pieces. Landing gently, Raze snorted.
“What, that’s it? Don’t you give me credit for anything, do you Arid?” Raze laughed.
“Hmm. No, I don’t. But you don’t give me credit for anything, either.” the old fox replied sadly.
Raze took a step forward. Or rather, he tried to. But, something was holding his foot in place. Looking down, he saw that his feet were encrusted in ruby coloured emerald. He tried to dislodge it, but it started growing rapidly. It shot up his body, encrusting his arms, rendering him immobile. It started to encrust his head, and he was helpless to stop it.
“You see, my boy, you’re going to get your answers whoever you like it or not.” Arid sighed as Raze’s vision turned red.

“You knew her?” Sonic asked.
“Kind of. Raze knew her better. I just can’t believe it. I thought that she was Arid’s second in command.” Ai said sadly.
“Hey, what’s that note?” Sonic asked, pointing out a scrap of paper in Ivory’s cold paw.
“I don’t know. Let’s see here…” Ai said, taking the note.

‘Dear Raze,
If you are reading this message, then I guess you won our bet. I guess I died first, didn’t I? I found it all out. For a while now, I’ve been digging. Investigating. To cut a long story short, I found out that Arid was responsible for the death of your parents and my parents. I found out that he ordered the doctor to kill your parents with the weapons that Arid had given him. If you’re reading this, I must warn you- DO NOT FIGHT ARID. Arid has been manipulating you since the day of your birth. He has prepared a trap for you. Do not fight him. I’m going now to ask Arid what his plans are. Farewell.
Ivory’

“We have to warn Raze! He’s in terrible danger!” Sonic exclaimed.
“No. It’s too late. Raze would never forgive us if we butted in.” Ai said, crumpling the note in her hand.

“Hmm. I’d be careful if I were you. That smell…Smells like roast bones. Dragon’s food.” Hadrian warned.
“I think Raze is the most dangerous thing in this building.” Amy said.
“Yeah, but what about that guy who he was trying to beat? From what I hear, he’s pretty good…” Knuckles said.
“If there’s a dragon involved here…It’s against the code of dragon honour. We distinguish ourselves from others due to our sense of pride.” Hadrian explained. As they went further down the corridor, they found a charred sign pasted to the wall.
“Punishment Room.” Knuckles said, reading the sign. Hadrian opened the door, and gasped. Amy looked over his shoulder, then turned away. Within the room were thousands of bones, all burnt black, picked clean and arranged in piles.
“Torture room…This is just a dragon’s larder.” Hadrian said in disgust.

Raze was floating in a vast, eerie nothingness. It wasn’t scary, as such. But, it confused him. Putting aside his mind-numbing rage, he tried to work out what was going on. A moment ago, he was fighting Arid. Now, he was in this silent white wasteland which went on as far as his eyes could see. Soon enough, the silence was broken by an unearthly laughter that seemed to be forever echoing in the nothingness. Recognising the laugh, Raze bared his fangs and drew his claws. Arid floated up to him, appearing as if from nowhere. Raze took a swipe at him, but, to his shock, his claws went straight through the old fox without resistance, and the old fox’s body splattered like a fine mist. Then, it re-formed, showing no sign of injury. Raze tried to back away, but realised that floating as he was, he had no way to propel himself backwards. To his surprise, Arid punched him. Raze looked down in horror as the spot where he had been hit melted away, only to re-form seconds later.
“You seem pretty cheery…for a dead man.” Raze said, his words sounding more confident than he felt.
“Oh, am I dead? I wasn’t the last time I checked. But, if I’m dead, what does that make you?” Arid smiled.
“Laugh all you like. As soon as I figure out what’s going on, I’m going to turn your guts into modern art.” Raze threatened.
“Now why would I laugh at you, my son?” Arid asked, a twinkle in his eye.
“Shut up! You aren’t my father! You killed my father! How dare you call me your son, you slimy old scumbag!” Raze shouted.
“Ah, but I may as well be your father. After all, all that you are is what I have made you.” the old fox smiled, seemingly amused at Raze’s rage.
“What? I don’t understand you, you senile old man!”
“Ha ha…Surely you’ve noticed? Everything that happened in your life has been for a reason, Raze. Ever since you were born, I’ve been watching you. I was one of the first people to see you after you were born. Did you know that? I was quite good friends with your parents as well. Such a shame they had to die…”
“MONSTER! HOW DARE YOU?”
“I told you, Raze. You must know the truth. Your truth. That’s why we’re here. I’ve used the magic of the Chaos Emerald to…”
“Ha. Liar. I’m immune to magic.” Raze snorted.
“Hmm. You know what you are?” Arid asked sharply.
“Of course. I also know that whatever you’re rambling on about is utter rubbish.” Raze smiled.
“Evidently, you know what you are, but don’t know your true abilities.” Arid said quietly.
“Oh, and you do? Don’t make me laugh.” Raze said sharply.
“I’ve a pretty fair idea. You are Raze.” the old fox started.
“Well, I wonder how you figured that out…” Raze said, sarcastically.
“Always fond of our little joke, weren’t we? Anyway, you are Raze. The Dire Fox.” Arid went on.
“Dire..?” Raze said to himself.
“So, you didn’t even know the name of your species? How disappointing. At any rate, you are Raze, the Dire Fox. You are, in fact, the last dire fox there is, and the last there shall ever be. Your bloodline runs back to the prehistoric era, where magical beings were rife. Amongst these beings were dire wolves and dire foxes.” the old fox started.
Raze stayed quiet, his interest piqued by Arid’s knowledge. Perhaps there was information he could use.
“Dire wolves were the predecessors to modern wolves. Huge beasts, they had savage fangs and huge muscles. They hunted in great packs that would destroy even the largest prey, apart from dire foxes. Now, dire foxes were smaller than dire wolves. Much smaller, in fact. The largest they could get was about eight foot. Tiny in those days. Dire foxes, however, were very intelligent, and very magical. Possessing their own language, and capable of living up to and over 200 years of age, they were well ahead of their time.” Arid lectured. Raze stayed silent.
“Although smaller, they were just as muscular as dire wolves, due to their magically compacted muscles. However, it is their fur, teeth and claws that were, and still are, the stuff of legends. The fur of a dire fox, it is said, will re-grow within an hour if it is torn out, is almost as strong as the titanium alloy armour on modern tanks, and most importantly and famously, repelled all forms of magic and magical energy. It‘s also fire-proof.”
“Then why…?”
“I’m getting there. Next were the teeth. Although the teeth were sharp, it wasn’t the physical side of the teeth that was important. According to legend, the fangs of a dire fox were lucky charms, capable of protecting things from danger and providing fertility. We don’t quite know if that’s true or not, but we do know that dire fox fangs were like sharks’ teeth. A dire fox had as many teeth as he could ever need.”
“Well, I’d better cancel my dental appointments then, hadn’t I?” Raze said sarcastically.
“The claws of a dire fox can cut through steel as if it were melting it. The claws are incredibly hard to break, and there have been rumours of a legendary, incredible form of magic based on the claws. It’s even said that dire foxes had their own martial art that has been lost to the annals of time…” the old fox went on.
“Then, pray tell, why am I the last one? If my species have fur as thick as tank armour, and claws that can slice through steel, and teeth that never run out, why did they all die, huh?” Raze sneered.
“Hah…Because. Although they were intelligent and magical and as strong as they come, the dire foxes had a code of honour which affected their powers. They wouldn’t fight if they had o reason. That’s why you’re affected by magic. Dire foxes only have strength if they need it.” Arid smiled.
“I fight for a living, Arid. There’s never been a single moment when I didn’t wish I was stronger. I, of all people, should be able to use that strength.” Raze said grimly.
“Yes, but years of fighting have made you strong, Raze. What need do you have of armoured fur? You kill your opponents before they can hurt you! Why do you need steel-cleaving claws? You can simply tear your opponents heads off! Why do you need to repel magic? You’ve never been hit by magic! Why do you need lucky teeth? You use skill to win your battles! Your own power has become your undoing, Raze!” Arid shouted, his voice reverberating across the white vastness.
“Hmph. It’ll be your undoing as well!” Raze shouted back. The two voices seemed to clash in mid-air, sending visible ripples throughout the space.
“But, that isn’t what I came here to tell you. I came here to talk about your past, my boy.” Arid smiled. He waved his arm, and the space shimmered. He waved it again, and suddenly the two foxes were floating above a rich forest that was bursting into life.
“Home.” Raze breathed.

The two foxes touched down. The forest floor seemed to dent as they landed, just like when a person sits on a bed. Both, by silent understanding, were silent. For a few seconds, nothing happened. Then, a small fox ran by, wearing a cloak. He seemed, like the scenery around them, a little less than real, as if he were an illusion. He seemed to be completely oblivious to the two adult foxes looking at him.
“Do you know who that is, Raze?” Arid smiled.
“Me, ain’t it? I don’t remember being so short.” Raze said, calmly.
“Of course you don’t. Why do you think we needed the Chaos Emerald to view it?”
The fox ran by, his brown cloak billowing out behind him. He was crying.
“Tell me, Raze. When do you think we are?”
“I dunno. Seeing as I was crying…the day after my parents died?”
“Correct. It didn’t hit you at first. But the day after, you cried and screamed. You couldn’t take it…Tell me, Raze. Why do you think I know this?” Arid said, watching the small fox melt away into the forest scenery.
“How in the name of hell should I know?” Raze asked.
“We’ll see. Let’s see another time…The day of your parent’s death, perhaps?” Arid said.
“Go for it. You’ve messed with my head enough to make me more than immune. I don’t need magic fur to beat you at your own game.”
The forest shimmered, then changed. A great, blazing light covered the forest in a deep orange glow. There was the hideous sound of spitting timber, and the acrid smell of burning wood filled the air, accompanied by billowing black smoke that was choking out the vegetation. Strangely, it smelt of nothingness- even to the foxes’ hypersensitive noses.
“Hmm. I was unaware that the doctor made such a big mess…” Arid said sadly, his brow creasing.
“…you know, this part of the forest is still burnt out.” Raze said quietly.
A great, resounding scream echoed through the branches of the forest. It was the scream of a woman. Following it was a roar of anger and anguish.
“Ha…I remember the first time I heard that. You have exactly the same roar as your father…” Arid said, his eyes growing misty.
“My father…Never roared. Ever.” Raze said quietly.
“Then what was that?” Arid asked, raising an eyebrow.
“That was me, you idiot. What did you think I would do? I’d just got home, and there was my mother, dying in front of my eyes, and father, lying on the ground in a burning forest. Then, when I looked around, I found a madman in a flame-throwing chair.” Raze growled.
“Oh, dear. So, you attacked him? How foolhardy…Even back then, you were rash. Even though you’ve learnt caution now, you still make rash decisions when under pressure.” Arid said sadly, as if admonishing his own son.
“How the hell would you know what I was like ‘back then’? I met you after this event…When I was wandering around in search of a way to find vengeance.”
“Ah…Raze, you don’t mean to tell me that you’ve forgotten what happened before this?” Arid said, looking at Raze out of the corner of his eye.
“Arid. This is the first thing I can ever remember. My first memory is of returning home to find my parents dead. And you’re the killer. This ‘doctor’ character may have pressed the button, but you’re the one who gave him the weapons.” Raze whispered, his voice shaking.
“Oh, dear…Well, I didn’t want to impact you this badly. After all, I am your old ‘Uncle Arid’…” the grey fox said.
“You’re no family of mine, you scum. If I could kill you here I’d have done it by now.” Raze said, his voice oozing with fury.
“Well…Let’s go back again, shall we? To one week before this…Your second birthday.”

“Dammit. That dumbass fox sure makes bad enemies.” Shadow swore, cleaning the blood off the butt of his gun, having just cracked a Guilder’s skull with it.
“You’re telling me! Oh, and don’t swear. Tails and Cream have seen murder today, but that doesn’t mean that we have to teach them bad language as well.” Jecht laughed, walking down the corridor.
“Tch. Where are those two flying rodents?” Shadow said.
“Geez. Aren’t we tense? You don’t have to take it out on them. This was destined. We’re just here to make it happen.” Jecht said grandly.
“Tell me, where did you steal that piece of verbal diarrhoea from?” Shadow asked.
“It was a motto in the soldier’s quarters. Anyway, Cream and Tails are checking the victims. Seeing if there are any weapons that they can use, if only to keep themselves safe.” Jecht said quietly.
“Tch. How many more of them can there be?” Shadow said.
“There aren’t. We got some unexpected re-enforcements. Those Chaotix guys came at the last second. Certainly saved my ass. They’re cleaning up at the moment. Good thing, too. No one really has anything left to give.” the tiger explained.
“Feh. I never should have gotten involved with that fuzz ball’s battles.” Shadow spat.
“Tough. You did, so stop moaning. Although we’ve pretty much wiped out the entire building, we haven’t found Raze. On top of that, Eleanor disappeared midway into the battle, and no one’s seen her since. We need to look for them.” Jecht explained.
“Damn. Why are you idiots always getting yourself in danger?” Shadow swore, zooming off.

The white space had changed again. This time, it had turned into a house, mainly made of wood. It looked well looked after, as if inhabited by someone extremely house proud.
“This is my house before it got burnt down. Tell me, why the hell are we here?” Raze asked lazily.
“Listen, and find out.” Arid instructed.
The scene changed once again, morphing into a hallway. The wooden floor shone with polish, and the wallpaper seemed to be Japanese-themed.
“Why, hello! It’s so nice of you to keep visiting our boy, especially since this is his birthday! He’s playing in his room. Just walk down the hallway.” came a shrill voice.
“Ha ha. He’s such a happy child. You wouldn’t believe he has the blood of warriors flowing in his veins!” laughed a deep voice.
“Yes. We were surprised as well. He’s so good natured…”
“Well, I’ll just go and see him, shall I?”
There came the sounds of footsteps in the hallway. A great, silver fox walked down it.
“So, who’s that?” Raze asked curtly.
“Me, of course. I wasn’t always old, you know.” Arid laughed, pointing at his grey hair.
The younger Arid in the flashback did look like the old one, but with less wrinkles and scars. He was wearing a hooded cloak, buttoned at the neck. He carried a small parcel under his arm.
“Tch. Spying on me even back then, were you?” Raze spat.
“Raymond! It’s Arid!” the young Arid shouted down the hallway, carrying on without heed of Raze and Arid’s arguments.
“Yay! Uncle Arid!” came a young voice.
A small, orange fox, no taller than Tails, ran out into the hallway straight into Arid’s legs.
“Hmm. I’d forgotten that your original colouring was orange.” Arid remarked.
“How are you, my boy?” the young Arid said. His voice sounded happy. Generous. Innocent.
“Fine, Unky Arid! Have yoo been off hurting the bad guys?” the young Raze asked, his eyes sparkling.
“Yup! I won’t let any bad guys come and get you, kid!” the young Arid laughed.
“Stinking hypocrite.” Raze muttered.
“So, how do your parents like that nickname I gave you?” the young Arid whispered to the child fox.
“They think it’s too…What was that word they used…Malee-vo-lent. That’s it! What does it mean, Uncle Arid?” the young fox asked.
“You’ll know one day, kid. Anyway, I hear it’s your birthday today. How old are today then?”
“Two, Uncle Arid! And next year I’ll be three!” the child said proudly.
“I notice that you were still wearing trousers back then.” the old Arid commented.
“Shut up, smart ass. At least I wasn’t a hypocritical, parent-murdering, backstabbing…”
“Language. You were brought up better.”
“Yeah, for the two years that my parents could take care of me!” the blue fox cursed.
“I got you a special present. Here.” the young Arid said, handing the child the parcel. The young fox pulled and tugged at the parcel, trying and failing to open it.
“Why don’t you use your claws?” the young Arid asked.
“Claws? What claws?” the young fox asked.
After another minute or two of tugging, the parcel ripped open. Contained inside was a cloak, just like the one that the youthful Arid was wearing. The young fox gasped, then put it on quickly.
“Thanks, Unky Arid!” the child said.
“Disgusting.” Raze spat.
“Hmm. Well, this is the moment I really wanted to show you. Look at yourself, Raze. What do you see?” Arid asked.
“A pathetic, embarrassing, naïve waste of space. An oblivious idiot with no sense of the real world. Something I wish I’d never been.” Raze answered.
“Interesting, but I was talking about your face.” Arid smiled.
“I’m smiling. So what?” Raze asked.
“That smile is gone now. Your face has forgotten it. I guess it was inevitable, with the training. But, still-”
Crash. There was a huge shattering sound, like breaking glass. The space went white once again. Then, cracks appeared in it, like a spider web. Then, a second crashing sound came, and all went black.

Raze opened his eyes, shattering the red crystal veiling them. Remembering the moment, he looked down at himself. The crystal seemed to have melted into his skin. He could feel it, nestling just below the surface. Looking at where Arid was, he saw the elderly fox clutching the side of his head. Standing next to him, dressed in full plate armour, was Eleanor. She swung her mace again, once more catching Arid on the side of the head. The grey fox wheeled backwards.
“Dammit! Leave that scumbag for me!” Raze shouted, trying to leap into the fray. But, he just fell over. His body had lost all its energy. He couldn’t move.
“Hmph. You hit pretty hard.” Arid said, spitting out a tooth. “But do you really think that you can beat me?”
“Watch me!” Eleanor cried, swinging the mace. Arid span and caught it easily, then yanked it towards him. Eleanor didn’t let go. So, the fox drew it over his head and cracked it like a whip, throwing Eleanor into a wall.
“Try beating me without your weapon, then!” Arid snarled, throwing the mace aside. He then pounced on Eleanor, landing three punches on her that connected with a gut wrenching thud.
Dazed, the hedgehog staggered backwards. Arid seized his chance, kneeing her in the stomach. As she doubled over, he smashed her head onto his knee.
Watching paralysed on the floor, Raze groaned. He could feel the impacts shaking the floor, and knew that the hedgehog couldn’t survive long.
Eleanor was now bleeding out of one eye. She could hear the bones in her skull moving. One more blow like that, and she’d never walk again, if she ever got up. In pure desperation, she threw a punch at Arid. The fox caught her arm, and twisted hard. The hedgehog screamed in pain, her nerves blazing with agony. The fox was relentless, and twisted even harder. Her arm gave an almighty crack. The fox smiled, and let go. Eleanor’s arm hung limply by her side. Her screams filled the room, shaking Raze to the core. As helpless as he was, Raze couldn’t stop the inevitable.
Although half crazed with pain and fury, the hedgehog knew she was beaten. A broken arm had merely sealed her fate. If only she could hold on until the others found them…
That was it! Why hadn’t she though of it sooner? Kneeling down, she curled into a ball, and made her spine shield. Arid smashed his fist against her, without success. He hit her again, even harder. The ground cracked underneath her. Still, she held firm. Arid smashed her again and again, roaring in frustration. With each strike, Eleanor felt her body shudder and creak. Her broken arm nagged at her, putting her in constant pain. Arid kept striking, the room echoing with the sounds of his attacks. Eleanor prayed silently for help.
Then, without warning, Arid struck far harder than before. Eleanor felt something change in her body. Then, a jet of blood spurted from her mouth, splattering noisily against the floor. Her vision ebbed, and panic seized her. As her heart pounded yet faster, the jet became a stream. Then, Arid struck once more. A scream, more terrible than any scream Raze had heard before burst from Eleanor’s lips. Raze’s fur stood on end. His fingers tingled, and his eyes burnt. Knowing Arid’s strength, only one thing could have happened. Eleanor was dead. A silence fell on the room. The only sound was Arid panting.
Then, another sound came. A scream, of fury and terror. Not from Eleanor. Not from Raze. But from Sonic. The blue hedgehog stood at the entrance. He felt the despair and fury building within him, crushing his heart and soul. How could he live, knowing that he could never see Eleanor’s smile again? How was he to go on without her voice? His one true love lay dead on the floor in front of him. Anguish surged within him, wrenching his guts with its terrible cry. Then, rage seized him. Pure, concentrated, terrible rage. It boiled in his blood, screaming at his mind. Misery taunted him, crushing his hopes and dreams in one terrible moment. He clenched his fists. Instantly, his fist erupted in white flames. He looked down at himself, and saw a familiar golden tinge creeping across his body…

------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------

I’m not gonna speak. Just read the next chapter, okay? Geez, things are really getting serious…