Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Life Bestowed ❯ Uneasy Peace ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Sometimes you just have to slow down and take a break; get away from the tension and strain.

Chapter 4: Uneasy Peace

Sitting in their cots, the injured members of the Sonic crew were taking a break. They watched the TV, and something odd happened. The news cameras reported on as the huge flying base began to move again. It slowly flew toward the ocean, and nearly disappeared from sight. Suddenly, the fortress changed course and headed south. It was soon out of view, and everyone at the base was both relieved and worried. It wasn't bothering New York anymore, but now they had no idea where it was going or why.

Scotty: Well, I'm not sure what this means.

Sonya: It means you guys can rest for a while.

Scotty: No, it's too dangerous.

Sonya: Maybe so, but there's no way we can get to it now anyway. You might as well take a break.

Sonic: She's got a point. I think we could use a vacation.

Johnny: Perhaps it would give me a chance to enjoy life a bit. You know, see what there is.

Knuckles: I'd like to enjoy seeing the backs of my eyelids. Keep it down, would you?

Scotty: <sigh> Very well. I suppose you're right.

Meanwhile, Robotnik was in the control room of his flying base. He had a course plotted out that would take him far south, near the equator.

Robotnik: A strategic retreat is just what I need. Now I don't have to worry about that blasted hedgehog or any of his friends messing up my plans before I can execute them. They'll never find me, and if they do, they'll never get to me in time! Ah hahahahahhahaa! I just hope Metal Sonic and Chaos don't kill each other…

Back near New York, Metal Sonic held Chaos by the throat.

Metal Sonic: I'LL KILL YOU!!

Chaos: <gag> Hey! Lemme go! <choke> We're on the <cough> same side!

He dropped the creature to the ground, and stood over him.

Metal Sonic: To find Robotnik, we need my long-range tracking device. Unfortunately, it was busted in the fight. So to fix it, we need Robotnik. But to find him, we need the device. Do you see the cruel cycle here?

Chaos: I don't see any cool motorcycles.

Metal Sonic: Not that-Ugh! OH! …FORGET IT!

Chaos: I think I have an idea that might help us.

Metal Sonic: Heh heh…Yeah, help us get killed!

Chaos: No, really, it'll work!

Metal Sonic: Okay, let's hear this brilliant plan of yours.

Chaos: Well, first…

Chaos began to explain what he had in mind. At that time, on the other side of New York, Scotty, Sonic, Johnny, Amy, Sonya, and Sally were standing together on a high rooftop. It was dusk, and they planned to see the sunset together. Knuckles had stayed home, asleep. Johnny stood near the edge of the building, looking out across the city with the water far in the background on the horizon. Scotty walked up to him.

Johnny: You know, it used to be that I could step off and fly away whenever I wanted too. I could go through the air, and forget about the world and its problems.

Scotty: That sounds nice.

Johnny: Yes, but at the same time, I could never have seen or felt anything about this sunset for what it really was. To me, it was always nothing more than just a sunset. But now I see what makes these events so enjoyable.

Scotty: Do you think it's a fair trade?

Johnny: Fair, in some ways, I suppose. But very cruel. I had so many abilities, but I could never enjoy many of the things that make life so great.

Scotty: Do you still want to go back?

Johnny: Sometimes I'm not sure. If there was a way to have the best of both worlds, that would be what I wanted. But if I had to make a choice, I'd go with being a robot.

Scotty: I think I can understand. I've retained everything being a criminal taught me. It haunts me sometimes, but I know I need those skills to do what I do now.

Johnny: Almost like my killer instinct, huh?

Scotty: In a way. You know, we're a lot alike in certain ways.

Johnny: How so?

Scotty: Well, we both fight what we once served, and then some. We both have skills that are a gift and a curse.

Johnny: And we're both ultra cool.

They laughed together at the joke. Scotty turned around to go talk with Sonic while Johnny sat down, dangling his feet over the edge. Amy approached him, and stood next to the hedgehog.

Amy: Hi, Johnny…What'cha up to?

He looked up at her.

Johnny: Waiting for the sunset.

Amy: Mind if I wait, too?

Johnny: Go ahead.

Amy sat down next to him, carefully putting her feet over the edge.

Amy: Whoa…kinda high up, don't you think?

Johnny: Perhaps, but I wouldn't worry. As long as your center of gravity is on the building, you won't fall.

Amy: Are you okay? From the fight, I mean.

Johnny: I'm still a little…what was it?…sore, but fine otherwise.

Amy: I'm glad you're not hurt.

Johnny: As am I.

Amy: You had me really worried yesterday. I was afraid I'd never see you again.

Johnny: I'm sorry… I didn't mean to scare you. I kinda missed you too, you know.

Amy: Well, it's over now. We don't need to miss each other because we're together.

Johnny: <nods>

Johnny reached around Amy's back, and rested his hand on her shoulder. Amy leaned over and put her head on Johnny's shoulder. The sun was setting, and everyone watched it together. A few moments after the sun was no longer visible, the light faded and there was a familiar voice from above them.

Voice: How pathetically romantic!

They all turned around, and looked up in horror to see Metal Sonic come in for a landing. He was still damaged, but was dangerous nonetheless. Johnny and Amy stood up and moved away from the ledge, coming up to stand next to Scotty and the others. They all faced the robot.

Metal Sonic: I have a proposition for you.

Sonic: You wanna make a deal?!

Metal Sonic: Exactly.

The robot's voice was eerily sly.

Metal Sonic: We both need something, correct?

Scotty: Maybe. Why do you ask?

Metal Sonic: You need to know where Robotnik is. I know how to scan for him, and I could lead you there.

Johnny: And what's in it for you?

Metal Sonic: I need repairs. I know you guys have the ability to repair my body. If you do, I'll be able to find Robotnik and will lead you to him.

Sonic: How do we know you won't just take off after we fix you?

Metal Sonic: You don't. But then again, I'm your only hope. So what do you say?

The group huddled together, keeping an eye on the robot, who tapped his foot impatiently. After some intense negotiations, the huddle broke. They slowly approached the robot, and Scotty carefully walked up to him.

Scotty: I don't usually make deals with criminals…

He looked back at the others, and Sonic nodded. The green hedgehog turned back to Metal Sonic.

Scotty: …But it's our only chance.

He shakily reached his hand toward the robot, ready to pull it back if things went sour. Metal Sonic took the hedgehog's hand, squeezing it slightly, and they shook hands. After a moment, they released, and the two faced each other.

Scotty: Let's get you back to the base.

Sonic: Wait a minute…Where's Chaos?

Metal Sonic: I have no idea where that moron ran off to. We haven't spoken with each other since I discovered that Robotnik flew off without us.

Sally: Wait a minute! Robotnik didn't tell you he was going away?

Metal Sonic: I'm sure he had a good reason…<to self> He'd better…

Metal Sonic had already lied about Chaos, but they didn't know it. The gang very carefully led Metal Sonic back to the refuge base. Sonic ran ahead to tell everyone there about the robot's arrival. Tails and Billy prepared a table with special straps that they hoped would be strong enough to hold the robot down. When they arrived, Metal Sonic was met by a few frowns and angry looks, but mostly suspicion.

Metal Sonic: What is it with you people? I'm not going to turn on you; I still need those repairs.

Dr. Arrow: I'll never trust you, you heartless machine. Personally, I'm not exactly a fan of robots…No offense, Johnny.

Johnny: None taken.

Metal Sonic laid down on the table, and they strapped him in. The robot shut himself down, in order for them to fix him safely. It was a tense truce, and a team of Billy, Tails, and Nightingale stood over the machine, tools ready.

Nightingale: Shall we get started?

Billy: No time like the present.

Tails: Who wants to go first?

Johnny: I'll do it.

Johnny surprised them all when he stepped up to the table.

Johnny: I know everything there is to know about the MS-01 unit. It's quite complicated, so if you need my help-

Tails: Go ahead, Johnny. Be careful. Remember, this guy's our only chance of finding Robotnik.

Johnny nodded, and work began. There was drilling and welding, soldering and sparks. The internal devices were fixed, and Billy came up with an idea.

Billy: Hey, Johnny…

Johnny: Yes?

Billy: Suppose we implanted a device that enabled us to disable him if he goes awry?

Johnny: Well…I suppose that would work.

Nightingale: Isn't that kinda dishonest?

Billy: I suppose, but we must assume that Metal Sonic intends to deceive us once he's back online.

Tails: He's got a point. I say we go for it.

Johnny: Agreed.

They inserted the device, and Billy showed them a remote control. He told them about how it would transmit a signal that paralyzes Metal Sonic for as long as the button is held down. When that was done, they attached a segment of repaired armor to the robot's head, making him good as new. Billy looked around at all of them.

Billy: Ready?

All: <nod>

Billy: All right then. Here we go.

Billy flipped a switch, and the robot's eyes activated. The robot tried to sit up, but it was strapped to the table.

Metal Sonic: Release me!

Tails: Not just yet! You have to swear you won't attack us.

Metal Sonic: Fine, I swear. Now let me out!

Tails: And you have to lead us to Robotnik.

Metal Sonic: Well I can't to well do that while I'm tied down, now can I?!

Johnny: Calm down, big brother. We'll let you go.

Under careful supervision, Metal Sonic was released. He fearlessly stood among them, retaining his attitude despite his position.

Metal Sonic: Well? Are we leaving or are we gonna stand here all night?

Scotty: Billy, how's the Freedom Eagle coming?

Billy: I believe I may have a working solution. The only way to test it is to find out. You see, I've developed a barrier shield that should protect the Eagle.

Johnny: Should we leave now?

Tails: I don't know; it's nearly midnight.

They all looked around at each other, silently debating the topic with themselves and others in the room. After a few moments, it was decided.

Scotty: We leave tonight. Right now.

Metal Sonic: Good.

Tails: So where are we headed?

Metal Sonic went motionless for a moment, scanning for the exact signal and location of Robotnik's flying fortress. After about half a minute, He turned to them.

Metal Sonic: Pack your bags because we're leaving the state. That's all I'll tell you for now. Call it insurance.

Sonic: You heard the robot. Let's go, guys.

Sally: Hold it!

Sonic: What is it?

Sally: The last time you guys went out to fight on your own, you nearly got yourselves killed! We're going with you.

Sonic: We?

Sally: Yes, we. Sonya, Amy and I are coming along. The others will stay here and guard the base.

Knowing better than to disagree, they headed for the Freedom Eagle. Sonya had already prepared some supplies, and loaded them aboard. Billy jumped into the pilot's seat, and expected to see Tails beside him. He was instead surprised to find Johnny.

Billy: Johnny?! What are you doing here?

Johnny: I always wanted to try flying something. Just sitting in the seat is fun.

Billy: But where's Tails?

They looked around, but the fox was nowhere to be found. They heard the noise of jet engines pull up beside the helicopter. Looking beside them, they saw Tails waving from the cockpit of his Veritech. Suddenly, the radio clicked on, and Tails's voice was heard.

Tails: Hi, guys!

Billy: Tails! Why aren't you in here?

Tails: My guess is you'll need some air support when we get to the base. That's my job.

Billy looked around cautiously, and the others had stopped moving to listen to the conversation. Sonic nodded, and Billy turned to face Tails again.

Billy: Okay, Tails. Be careful.

Tails: Don't worry about me; it's you that should be careful.

Billy: We'll all be that way.

Johnny: Are we ready to take off?

Billy: Checklist is completed. All systems are functioning.

Metal Sonic: Then let's get going!

They all strapped themselves into their seats, and pulled out of the hangar. Tails shot off in front of them, and took off. Billy pulled up the lever next to his seat, and the Freedom Eagle lifted upwards into the midnight sky. Metal Sonic pointed them south, so south is where they headed. Down below, Dr. Arrow, Simon, Bunnie, Knuckles, and all the rest waved goodbye as the aircraft left.

Well, at least Johnny isn't leading a boring life… Stay tuned, and please review!