Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Again ❯ Sardine can ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2: Sardine can

After some traveling time passed, hours flew away, so when turns were taken and a highway was forsaken, the RV came to a place called Virginia Beach, which is in Virginia, of course. In this area, Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends came to a stop after a long drive. It was a relief for a traveler to stop in a journey, to breathe in the air and to see different surroundings. It is always good to have a map to know the way in which you go, so Tails gave the location report.

"Sonic, we have arrived in Virginia Beach, near the Virginia Marine Science Museum." The fox said to the driver. "I've been reading about it, and it sounds very interesting."

"That does sound like a cool place to visit." Sonic agreed, nodding.

"Oh, it will be fun!" Amy said, happily. "We could go see the sea turtles!"

"Yes, there are many living things in the sea." Tikal said, watching the window.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a look around this place." Rouge said in agreement.

"And we could go out and stretch." Knuckles added after a bored yawn.

"Looks like everyone is in for it. Shadow, what do you say?" Sonic asked him.

"I say very little." Shadow replied, quietly from the passenger seat.

"Then it's settled," Sonic concluded. "We're going in."

He led the way there, and his friends followed him into the building where they saw large tanks of water, some with sea turtles. Amy was so happy to see them. With their flippers, the sea turtles seemed to fly underwater. Sonic and his friends walked through a hallway and on the side of the walls were the water tanks, in which the sea turtles lived. It was a beautiful thing to see, the blue water, the swimming sea turtles, and Tails enjoyed learning a few new things there.

"Wow! Look at it go." Knuckles pointed to a sea turtle that swam passed them.

Sonic shrugged. "Funny, I always thought turtles were slow."

"Hey, a tortoise won a race against a hare once." Tails said, recalling the story.

"Really?" Sonic said, "If you ever see him, tell him I'll race him next."

"Okay, I will." Tails said, and then he had to cover his smile. They continued to enjoy the tour, watching, listening and learning there at the Museum, having a great time together.

= = = = =

But it was a dark secret to know that the villain Dr. Eggman was in his laboratory, not very far away. We know that he is a mad scientist, one who is always inventing another plan to destroy the planet, take it over, or perhaps his goal was to destroy a certain blue hedgehog first.

"My goal is to destroy a certain blue hedgehog first, and then take over the entire planet!" He laughed. "I am the Eggman, that's what I am! Yes, I am the Eggman, and I've got a master plan!"

You see? Leaving him to sing his theme song, we will enter the next room where his two workers Metal Sonic and Chaos were. It had been a year since they last tried to locate the blue hedgehog, but the hero won the victory. Yawning, Chaos sat alone and played a solitaire game with his cards at a table while Metal stood in front of a TV screen with a plastic gun in his hand. He was playing the video game called Duck Hunt, and for those of you out there who are unfamiliar with it, Duck Hunt is a video game for the old Nintendo system where a player shoots virtual ducks on the TV screen. A really simple thing, but to Metal, it was good target practice. He aimed carefully and he shot one cartoon duck after the other, never missing. He stood to admire his high score.

"Hey, Metal, is this a Queen or a King?" Chaos asked as he held a card in front of him.

"Get lost, you drool puddle!" Metal scolded. "I'm trying to beat my old high score."

"Strange, how can you beat yourself? Won't that hurt a lot?" Chaos asked him.

"No, but it could hurt YOU! Now, scram!" Metal pushed him away from the screen.

"Ouch!" Chaos yelped. "I don't ask much! I just want to know what card this is…"

"It's the same thing you are, waterfall." Metal pointed to him, which confused Chaos.

"What? I'm on this card? How? I don't see me." Chaos looked at it in his hand.

"Of course," Metal said, "Take a closer look. It's a Joker." He pointed to it, and it was so.

"Oh!" Chaos said, "That's great! I'm on a game card, famous to be Joker!" He cheered.

"He's so stupid that he doesn't even know he's an idiot." Metal sighed, turning away. He returned to his Duck Hunt while Chaos continued his game of cards at the table.

Just then, an alarm sounded in the room, and the voice of Eggman followed. "You two slugs, get in my office, now!" He commanded through a speaker, and the sudden noise surprised them.

"He is in a horrible mood today." Metal said as he placed the plastic gun down.

"Hey, it's better than yesterday." Chaos reminded him, and then he stood up from his chair.

"He was angry yesterday because you burned his lunch." Metal snapped back.

"I cooked it well done, but you don't have to tell everyone about it!" Chaos whined.

"Don't be silly," Metal said, leaving the room. "There is no one listening." He finished.

"Did you beat your old score yet?" Chaos asked, following him down the hallway.

"I am making progress." Metal replied, and then he continued walking.

While Chaos tried to understand what progress meant, the door opened to Dr. Eggman's office. The chair turned to face them, and Metal stood tall while Chaos tried to salute, but he slapped his forehead by mistake instead. Metal stepped away from him, shaking his head.

Then Dr. Eggman spoke. "Now that you're here, tell me if you recognize this…" He pointed toward a screen, and there was a photo of an RV, white with blue stripes.

"Oh, it's a can of sardines!" Chaos guessed, but that was not correct.

"That is close for you, but the fact is different. That is the RV of our targets." Metal answered.

"You mean like in Duck Hunt?" Chaos asked, and the annoyed Metal slapped him.

"Enough of this nonsense!" Eggman commanded, and he stood with authority. "My sensors have detected the RV of that pesky hedgehog and his followers in Virginia. After what he had done to me before, I will kindly pay him back by ruining his on the road trip!" He laughed out loud.

"Vengeance is mine!" Metal said as his red eyes began to glow.

Chaos gulped and then he looked at the screen again. "Poor sardines." He whispered.

= = = = =

Later that day…

"What's for supper?" The hungry driver Sonic asked from his chair.

"I don't know, but we're in the middle of nowhere." Shadow yawned in the passenger seat.

"But one must be somewhere to be in the middle." Tails said, standing behind him.

"Somewhere, nowhere or everywhere, I'm starving." Knuckles said as his stomach growled.

"Then let's cook something." Tikal said, turning to the other girls.

"I'll look in here and see what we have." Rouge opened the food closet, searching. "Let's see…we have lots of that…a little of this…some of whatever that may be…"

Sonic looked at Shadow, confused. They both shrugged their shoulders.

"Hey, this is quick and easy to make, and it's really good!" Amy said as she held something.

"What is it?" Knuckles asked, curiously.

"It's sardines." Amy replied, and then all the boys looked at one another.

"I feel like a sardine right now in this RV, on the road with you all." Shadow sighed.

"And you've got the right colors." Sonic teased him, chuckling.

"I'll eat anything!" Tails said, hungrily. "Sardines are on the house!"

"Or maybe on the RV. My house is far, far, far away." Knuckles said, a little sad.

"It's good to leave your house alone sometimes, go out and see new things." Tails added.

"Well, yeah, I guess so. But I wonder what my house is doing now…" Knuckles thought.

"Same as always," Rouge said, "Absolutely nothing."

"Hey, I love my house, it's small and cozy, just right for a treasure hunter like me."

"Then why did you leave?" Rouge asked him while Tikal opened the sardine cans.

"I wanted to get away." Knuckles answered, simply. He grinned and shrugged.

"All right, everyone, I hope you're hungry, because sardine sandwiches are ready!" Tikal announced, and everyone cheered. Supper was served to the team, and they ate.

"I'm glad I found a view of the ocean here," Sonic said, "It's really cool to watch."

"Its just water, something to look at. Besides, you don't like water." Shadow pointed.

"You don't, either." Sonic said, after swallowing another bite of his sandwich.

"Let's not touch upon that subject." Shadow whispered, and then he returned to his supper.

"Uh-oh, it's getting dark already." Tails noticed as he looked outside the window.

"I hope we find an RV park, or someplace to stay for the night." Knuckles wished.

"No worries," Sonic assured, "Just leave it to me. I'm the world's fastest hedgehog."

"How many times have I heard that and came so close to death?" Knuckles asked, quietly.

"Tighten your seatbelt!" Sonic said as he began to drive the RV down the road.

Shadow sat calmly in the passenger seat, next to the driver, and he popped a starlight mint in his mouth to be rid of the fish breath. He placed his music headphones over his ears, watching the windshield in front of him. Leaving the beach, the RV drove on in the exploration on wheels.